The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why video game company Loyalists are Awesome

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Why video game company Loyalists are Awesome Reply with quote

Yeah, I just wanted to vent that I hate people that are so adamant about one system while never looking into the benefits or advantages of games on other systems. It's just retarded to say things like "Oh the PSP is sooooo much better than the DS" then the good games on PSP drop off and sweet games come out for the DS and they say "Oh I want at DS now!!!"

Retards ...
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they prefer partners of the same sex!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm queer, and the only console i'm loyal to is the pc engine.

so, if i may summarize your post, gay people are retards and you hate them.

now i'll summarize my post: get the fuck out of my forum. don't let the door hit your ignorant ass on the way out, kay?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very sad to see a joke trigger hatred. Comedians -- from professionals to nerdy kids -- are so transparently and desperately looking for acceptance. I was once in the audience for what must have been the most misbooked stand-up comedian in the world. It was totally unfunny. The entire audience hated him, including me. I wanted to feel sorry for him, but even in retrospect I could not overcome my hatred.

Comedy, even a throwaway comment on a forum, is a gamble, Ryan. You lost this one. Know your audience! That's more fundamental than proper timing, even.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you mean "slang" not "joke" ?

the issue here being a term which once meant of "a joyful nature or theme" and came to be a term of self-identification for homosexuals. then became a slang term of derision for the absurd/corny/negative.

which is the issue here.

even the term "retard" itself is a migration to slang, come to think of it. retardation being a medicalization of what used to be the domain of "slow," "moronic," "mentally deficient" and so forth. or, worse yet, mongoloid and mongoloidism, which as i've mentioned before was a reference to skin folds above the eyes - the word i was looking for was "epicanthal," proving once again if you don't keep your textbooks stay friends with people who did or happen to be anthropologists - and according to my ponytail'd source, mongoloid was once considered a polite euphemism itself.

Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Negroid are all racial categorization terms which were once far more polite than the popular terms of the day, yet are now considered archaic at best.

now, what does this have to do with the present issue? nothing. i'm stuck at work abusing my large format printer, the rip is rebelling against me and all attempts to convince illustrator that my cmyk file is indeed cmyk and not an rgb file are failing. the point about politesse has already been made by desseega above.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using "joke" in a loose sense - an effort to make someone laugh and, in doing so, ingratiate oneself - and I stand by it. I want to believe that the original poster wrote what he did thinking that people would find it gently, modestly funny. Perhaps naive of me, definitely foolish of him. Thanks for the new vocabulary word, politesse.

The semantic shifts of gay and retarded aren't important. What's important is that the speaker and the audience were out of sync with each other. But I am curious ... how do Native Americans fit into the -oid system?

I should visit the introduction thread already.

... edited because i can't spell

Last edited by Zack on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand they would classify as mongoloids, having mostly decended from Asian nomads. I could be wrong, and that could be part of why it's considered archaic.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

near as i know, amerindian tribes would be mongoloid under the old system.

Quote:
The semantic shifts of gay and retarded aren't important.

au contraire, or however the french version of "i know something you don't know" goes.

semantic shifts are incredibly important. so incredibly important that they may be the most potent form of magick in our culture outside of monetary value and revenge fantasy.

it also gives me something to write other than "what, are you fucking nine years old or something? at least pretend to have read a book."
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up, I'm actually fairly confident that the original post was intended to spark a conversation where we all start agreeing with Ryan that people with system biases aren't cool. I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that one.

The way he went about it - we'll just say it "lacked tact" to put it kindly. Zack is right about Ryan not knowing his audience, and - on a certain level at least - dess is right about the ignorance. What's very odd is that I happen to know that someone very close to Ryan is gay, and I think I know that because I've had this same conversation with him about not using "gay" in a derogatory manner.

The uprising in this thread should teach him at least one important lesson. Maybe he'll learn to know his audience before dropping the derogabomb in the future. I'd expect this at the very least.

Of course, the best solution to all of this would probably be to just throw a word fiter in that changes the word "gay" to "awesome". But then, what if we start talking about awesome games?

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chou-Aniki was totally awesome. no, wait, I meant awesome.

change gay to INAPPROPRIATE PLEASE EDIT THIS WORD or something like that, maybe?

or change the word to a harmless non-sequiter (like, "cheeseburger"), but the covered-up word would be pretty obvious and the meaning would still carry through regardless.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just word-filtering it doesn't really address the actual objection. Far better just to warn or get rid of those people entirely.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think "awesome" is a really great replacement for "awesome".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think "awesome" is a really great replacement for "awesome".

So that's why this thread isn't making much sense. Boy, spend a day at Disneyland and you miss all the important stuff.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think censorship is fucking stupid. I've grown up to the point where I"m sick and tired of being politically correct. People have been using gay, retarded, and what now for years and have NEVER meant it literally. People need to lighten up and not always take the words for what they seem to be. Using the word retarded doesn't mean SOMEBODY WITH DOWN SYNDROME. Using the word retarded means SLOW, as in TO SLOW DOWN A REACTION. You retard a reaction and thus slow it down ... duh. And well gay, jeez just lighten up. You damn well no I wasn't referring to homosexuals, and that the word gay was used in this context WELL before the whole Politcally Correct crap started.

If I wanted to offend people, I'd start throwing around racial slurs and talking about nazi's and blah blah blah. Honestly people . . . this is a video game forum and not the Oval Office. Don't feel like you need to appease everybody. I'm not trying to. I'm just trying to get my point across in a manner as wes described it. And yeah, my bro is gay . . . he doesn't like me saying that word either, but it just doesn't have the same context as that. It's more like a homonym these days. Gay can mean stupid, and gay can mean homosexual . . . but in no way does it mean stupid homosexual. Capish?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that what is common to you may not be to others. Censorship won't happen here (unless it is something silly) but just keep sexually derogatory remarks out of conversation. It becomes offensive when someone takes offense to it. I won't have tolerance for truly sexually derogatory remarks. I do know that you were attempting to use it in a non-offensive manner, so I don't think we need to blow this out of proportion any further.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is totally awesome.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't.

I would call it premature.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
I think censorship is fucking stupid. I've grown up to the point where I"m sick and tired of being politically correct. People have been using gay, retarded, and what now for years and have NEVER meant it literally. . . .

This entire argument is logically and linguistically unsound. I'm not going to go into details because I'm tired and I don't think you really care. Buy some dictionaries, read some theories of language and communication, and prove yourself wrong.

And in the future, when you start to get huffy about being "politically correct," replace "ically correct" with "e" and reconsider your actions.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of us here are writers. Words are important to us.

It's funny how "gay" means "stupid", but "straight" means "honest".

Here's a sledgehammer to drive a point or two across.

But really -- to say something, have someone take grave, serious offense, and then to tell them that they are wrong to feel offended because people who take offense to that sort of thing are fucking stupid? That's flat-out jackassery, sir, and an apology is owed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "politically correct" thing is a bit of a strawman anyway. Am I using strawman correctly? I'm always worried that I'm going to misuse it. I mean, I know what it means, I'm just not sure if it applies.

Anyway, I've always thought that calling someone a fanboy is like the contrary insult of calling someone pretentious. Are there any other videogame related epithets like these?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You damn well no

what are you still doing here?

i think i was pretty clear on the "get the fuck out of my forum" part.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
No it isn't.

I would call it premature.

Well, yes, but I was aiming for sarcasm.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Anyway, I've always thought that calling someone a fanboy is like the contrary insult of calling someone pretentious. Are there any other videogame related epithets like these?

It stems from 1up article comments where someone who is 10 years old will convince him or herself at every opportunity that the console their mom bought them is the "correct one." Or maybe it refers to the people who must be for some reason continuing to purchase Battle Network games? The whole concept is kind of a bogeyman, I think.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you're not using strawmen correctly.

a strawman is a caricature of your opponent which is easily knocked down - i.e. "party x only argues for policy a because he thinks it will make puppies come out of the sky and serve everyone ice cream. everyone knows that puppies don't like ice cream" (this is assuming policy a has nothing to do with puppies or ice cream)

Quote:
I think censorship is fucking stupid.

ok, quick word choice lesson:

censorship is performed by a governing agency. you're not being censored here. you're free to say what you want when you want, just not on someone's private property. i..e you have the right to use bleach to write your name in your front lawn; you do not have the right to do that on someone else's lawn.

gamersquarter.com = shaper's lawn.

wes, for what it's worth, i've found that flipping the offending word using ubb's word censor options is more fun. i think it gives people a chance to actually think about what they're saying for a second or two before getting upset about being censored. i have a friend whom i love dearly but he's a hardcore nearly pre-vat II catholic, so i don't feel comfortable letting him use "awesome" in any real context. then again, i also flipped "hipster" and every mention of illuminati is changed to [they who shall not be named] so take that for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking like, citing the term in order to associate someone's actions with the negative conotations of that term.
Zack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the word retarded means SLOW, as in TO SLOW DOWN A REACTION. You retard a reaction and thus slow it down ... duh.

Are you for real? Are you even being honest with yourself? The word comprehend used to mean, literally, to grasp something in your hand. Like dhex was saying about semantic shift, things change. Comprehend now means to understand, and if you tried to use it like this:

You need to learn to comprehend the dart correctly to score a bullseye.

...People would think you were some sort of pub dwelling Mister Miyagi.

(And your name, for that matter, originally meant "little king," but I should hope that's not what you're thinking when you sign your emails)

The meaning of, say, gay means DIFFERENT THINGS now. Multiple things. I know you didn't set out to upset anyone, but if after realizing that you upset someone, your response isn't "I didn't mean to upset you" but "You're stupid for being upset," grow up.
Faithless

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I see a thread developing on this topic, I always want to throw in my opinion ... but I really don't have one on it. I don't personally take offense to "gay" being used to describe "negative," despite the fact that I'm gay myself.

I'm also a working comedian, so I know that language is a weapon.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you do offend someone with the words you use, you should apologize to them. Even if that's frustrating. Then come up with another way to convey your ideas, and convert your audience with your wiser choices.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, slurs don't have to meant literally to be harmful. They just have to perpetuate a link between a population and a derogatory meaning. So ignorant kids pick it up and repeat it, and the LGBTQ members of their community have are stigmatized before they even have a chance to identify as such. That's how it starts and that's why it's so fucking damaging, because through little things like that, a homosexual is never given the opportunity to stand on equal ground with the rest of society. And because these slurs are socially accepted in an astounding number of communities (as opposed to racial or sexist remarks), you end up with an American society that's as grossly intolerant and ignorant as the one we live in today.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really going to humor this discussion anymore. I feel my opinion is my opinion, and the forum's overall PUSH to get me to change will end fruitlessly. The words I used are not often used at all, but merely slang and used in sarcasm. My brother has learned you can't let everything piss you off, but to just take everything in stride and not out of context. Why can't you all mature to let things slide every once in a while? Staying on you high horse all the time preaching down to the peons below and trying to create a utopian society where everybody is nice to everybody and nobody is offended . . . well all you're doing is setting yourself up for a great big fall.

And also, those people belittling my intelligence because I used a few "vulgar" words. Get a life and lighten up. Why don't stay on topic of the thread.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel my opinion is my opinion, and the forum's overall PUSH to get me to change will end fruitlessly.

are you eight years old?

seriously, what the fuck is wrong with kids these days?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one cares if you change. People want you to leave.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel my opinion is my opinion, and the forum's overall PUSH to get me to change will end fruitlessly.

So..... you win? Congratulations! Cool

oh and what dark steve said.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have a good idea!

-Wes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: