The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eve of Sorrows: October in DS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Eve of Sorrows: October in DS Reply with quote

Not that I really need to remind anyone here, but this really seems to be the month for the DS coming up here. Some people may know that I have been looking forward to Trauma Center (originally titled Caduceus: Surgical Operation) for a while. With everything that has happen to me lately it has snuck up under my radar (my radar is pretty much down and broken) and bit me on the ass.

As even fewer may know I have had Castlevania: DoS (This D-S naming for NDS games really needs to stop, there are 2 that I am interested in this month) pre-ordered and pre-paid for a while now. Well, the EBgames where this happen is not even in the store locator any longer… I think I got screwed. Perhaps I should call a corporate office or something. I mean, it is cheap enough where I am willing to buy it again, but… I mean, shit.

Two other games snuck up on me, and one I was not even aware got a US street date yet. Dig Dug: Digging Strike (see) and Phoenix Wright: Ace Detective. I knew PW:AD was coming out sometime this year, but it seems like it came up quick. I am quite excited to finally get to play this after being interested in it for so damn long.

I have only seen some JPN mag scans of DD:DS, but it looks damn good. It seems like it is basically Dig Dug 1+2, the bottom screen is when you go underground (DD1) and then the top screen is the island breaking (DD2). I am really looking forward to seeing how this turned out.

Anyways, I have not had almost any time to play games. I got to start a game of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, but it froze up after about an hour in. I liked it quite a bit better than … well any other 1.5 first hours of a Zelda since Link’s Awakening. I also have a problem with my PC running Silent Hill 3 which I purchased new for $5… I don’t know why it is a problem either. Probably something simple. Anyways, hopefully I will get/find/have time for all this DS gaming. Damn the DS is really great.

Dig Dug: Digging Strike 10/18
Phoenix Wright: Ace Atourney 10/11
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 10/4
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 10/4
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing bad things about Trauma Center. Real bad things. I'm thinking I might stay away from it.

I did buy Trace Memory a few days ago and so far I'm digging it. Surprisingly, it seems like it could end up being a game that attempts to ask deep questions about life. The interface ain't great and the 3D is so first generation that you can barely make out what you're supposed to be looking at without the help of the top screen, but there's a very solid and realistic feel to the way the island is layed out.

One interesting thing that they do is ask you questions after each chapter to make sure you're paying attention, reinforce the theme of memory, and provide closure after major events. I haven't gotten any wrong yet, but I'm curious to know what would happen if I did. I wonder if remembering something incorrectly actually changes how the game plays out in such a way that it morphs the world to fit your memories. If this is the case they've really done something that takes advantage of the medium.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played Trauma Center for about an hour. It's interesting. I rather like it.

I mean, the story is relentlessly terrible. If you don't have the stomach for bad dating-sim writing, I can see how it could be grating. But I spent most of that hour doing surgery, and the "doing surgery" part of the game is a pretty good time.

Wes, where are you hearing these bad things from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just started dawn of sorrow. it looks like it could get pretty good! dig dug is about the only thing left on my early fall want list.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the dig dug game like?

not that i have a ds, but dig dug is like, the stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new dig dug looks like it incorporates the gameplay of both the original dig dug and dig dug 2. it looks like it might work, too! does anyone have a copy?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the whole idea of Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright. It seems like they'd make a good "Things Which Would Not Normally Be Made Into Games" double feature. And both are quintessentially DS'ish too.

Trance Memory and Lost in Blue also pique my interest. I only got my DS a day ago and already I have a shopping list.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trauma Center is fabulously outrageous and has more than enough ellipses to make Dhex go into a coma. Seriously a great game that goes beyond what I initially thought it would.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Wes, where are you hearing these bad things from?

Actually I was hearing them from Jeremy Parish's Blog, where he was talking about the games he was going to have to review. I didn't realize he was just talking about how much he sucked at it.

I really suck at it too by the way. I can't get those damn aneurisms down on the "ALL OUT BREAK OUT OF ANEURISMS" level. But I do enjoy the game dearly. I feel bad for potentially steering people away.

I also beat Trace Memory, and it had one of the most mature stories I've ever seen in a game starring a 13 year old girl. This is the game people are talking about when they say they think games should have better stories.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aneurism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
aneurism.

I don't know what you're talking about...

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not anymore ya don't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit, but this thread is making my bank account itchy.

Though I'm much more interested in the offbeat stuff than the Castlevania/Metroid/Mario Kart things on the way. Not that it's gonna stop me from impulse buys or anything.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DS seems to be the contemporary champion of offbeatness. Not that this is actually researched, or probably even true, it's just a sense I get. I mean consider one system getting both an atourney based game and a surgeon based game at the same time.

Unfortunately what I've read of Trauma Center worries me a little. It's the kind of game I'd really like not to have a story. Or so I assume.

PS: A vaguely illustrative anecdote: I watched my brother trying to play Advance Wars: Dual Strike. He was pretty enthusiastic at first, but after about 10 minutes of pressing the A button and muttering "shut up, shut up, shut up" he just gave up. This made me sad. I haven't tried it yet.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Unfortunately what I've read of Trauma Center worries me a little. It's the kind of game I'd really like not to have a story. Or so I assume.

Don't let this worry you. The story is told very concisely and doesn't really get in the way of the surgery from what I've witnessed so far. Yes, there are entire chapters where it's just story, but these chapters go by in less than a minute and they give you a reason to want to save your patients and see what happens next!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interrupting is absolutely key. I believe strongly in the seperation of cutscene and game. Or complete integration. But yeah, not interruption.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Not interrupting is absolutely key. I believe strongly in the seperation of cutscene and game. Or complete integration. But yeah, not interruption.

See, I agree with you on the cutscene thing in general, but I also don't believe in setting specific conventions because they will always be broken by someone that figures out how to breack them in a good way.

I'm only on Chapter 2, but from what I've played so far, Tauma Center is paced in such a way that the story gives you a reason to keep playing the game without getting in the way of the gameplay. The "plot" is done in between surgeries, while tutorial-style dialogue (just enough without being overbreaing) that subtly develops the characters is done during the gameplay sequences.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news. I shall endeavor to play it some time.

Of more relevance to the subject in general: I have found it strange that the reviews I've read for almost every game mentioned have called them too short! This, to me, is good news. Usually if you think a game is too short it's because you're enjoying it. Also, the general standard for "too short", in my experience, has been just right.
Hubz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was completely caught off guard when I went to Gamestop Saturday to see all the new releases for DS that I wanted. I didn't see Ace Wright though unfortunately as I would've picked it up. Did grab Lost in Blue and Castlevania though (and yes the DS naming scheme drives me crazy too!) I really like some of the new Castelvania but other parts I don't like at all... some of the level designs feel like I read described on another blog as "shelves with monsters on them". Was it always like this in past Castlevanias or am I just now finally noticing it? Also I wish they'd done away with the stylus completely and just made the bosses harder. I can't count the amount of times I screwed up drawing a seal Sad Other than those two things though I'm very much enjoying it!

www.spookytornado.com
www.dqshrine.com
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, when did Phenix Wright get released??!
I am in shock!

I..
I need to go to a game store.
WHY IS IT ONE AM??!

I must encourage all of you to purchase this game, by the way. Do it for me! Do it for yourself!

By the way, are there any other good games coming out this month for other systems? I know that Digital Devil Saga 2 came out recently as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
By the way, are there any other good games coming out this month for other systems?

GUNSTAR SUPER HEROES.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I also beat Trace Memory, and it had one of the most mature stories I've ever seen in a game starring a 13 year old girl. This is the game people are talking about when they say they think games should have better stories.

I'm an hour and a half in, and the puzzles are atrocious. I mean, a sliding tile puzzle to get a silver coin to put into the base of a statue to get a key? Come on. They should know better than that.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

I'm an hour and a half in, and the puzzles are atrocious. I mean, a sliding tile puzzle to get a silver coin to put into the base of a statue to get a key? Come on. They should know better than that.

Yeah, I guess I should also mention that the gameplay and the story aren't very well integrated. Some of the puzzles have interesting solutions though. I like the ones where you have to layer the pictures you take on top of each other.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Yeah. It's too bad the game didn't seem entirely confident in what it was doing. Normally I'm not one to complain about length, but in this case I wanted to see more. And there could have been more touchy interaction. A slightly better interface. (Why is the action on the bottom screen if it keeps having to switch screens whenever you want to touch anything?) More to explore, more to keep in your head.

Still. What's there is darling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried Lost in Blue yet? LIke I said I picked it up as well and should be able to begin it tonight since I finished Castlevania last night. (As cool as Julius Mode is I don't think I'll playthrough it again) It sounded a lot like a revamp of the old Survival Kids series and being by Konami as well I wondered if the two are connected.

www.spookytornado.com
www.dqshrine.com
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubz wrote:
Has anybody tried Lost in Blue yet?

Yes, I put quite a bit of time into it already. At first I really stunk at it. It is not easy (nor is Trauma Center, I am stuck) so don't get discouraged if you can't really survive at first. The pace of the game reminds me of Harvest Moon a lot. I think I may be stuck in the game because there is not much that I can explore and I can't figure out what to do next, although I can see other areas. The fishing is pretty fun, which will easily occupy half of my "day." There are still times when I do stupid things while exploring and have come back to camp exausted and need to spend a day just working on resting and getting my health up. I am enjoying this much more than Survival Kids. The main problem that I have with the game is that I can actually make the game slow down alot doing something I found interesting (taking the girl for a walk on the beach). Oh well.
Lackey wrote:
Of more relevance to the subject in general: I have found it strange that the reviews I've read for almost every game mentioned have called them too short! This, to me, is good news. Usually if you think a game is too short it's because you're enjoying it. Also, the general standard for "too short", in my experience, has been just right.

Yea, I think I beat Trauma Center and it took about 6.5 hours. Just right for me, and if I ever want to replay it I know it will not take forever to do so. My wife is playing it right now while I am trying to beat the last level. At least, I assume it is the last level. Fantastic game. Sara was playing it last night in bed and I just hear her laughing and I look over to see her laughing at the same things that I did. There were a few points where I was laughing so hard that I screwed up the "operation." I know that there are a lot of people that would say a 7 hour game is too short. Oh well. I could probably beat the game in less than 4 hours because I know what I am doing now.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Japan's got a pretty good October for DS games too. Did anyone else see what came out this week?

Where do Babies Come From? (Feel the Magic 2)
Kenshui Tendo Dokuta 2: Inochi no Tenbin (Trauma Center 2)
Pokemon Torouze (Pokemon Bejeweled)
Super Princess Peach
Urusei Yatsura: Endless Summer (Dating Sim)

I want them all, but I need to wait for the US versions (and I'm poor right now).

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to:

Lost in Blue
Phoenix Wright
Dig Dug
Trance Memory
Elektroplankton
Trauma Center

I'm hoping to add something valuable to the conversation later maybe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: