The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 360 Shadowrun debate...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: The 360 Shadowrun debate... Reply with quote

Ok, we all know Shadowrun is coming to the 360, and it has been described as
"a first person shooter"

But I haven't seen many (any?) forum threads, on any forum, relating specifically to this title. Meaning either people don't remember, or don't like the Shadowrun games, or they're just not interested in this, compared to say, I dunno, some other more generic game being released.

Has anyone played the SNES/Genesis/Sega CD versions of Shadowrun?

So then, your thoughts?

Any info perhaps?

Personally speaking, I think if they take a Morrowind route, and allow the player to move around an entire, massive, recreation of Seattle (or Tokyo, or any other city that SR is commonly set in), it has the potential to be huge, and also blow the latest Elder Scrolls game right out the water.

Imagine Deus-Ex multiplied by Morrowind. That's the way to really bring the franchise into the modern era. Shadowrun games are all about doing runs, so instead of MW's guild missions, you could have Corp Runs. Plus, SR supports a complex magic system, as well as body modification and more standard weaponry.

Plus, if MS fail to utilise the online abilities of the 360 to download further runs, thereby keeping the game going over the years, they are fools.

There is great potential here, I only hope they utilise it, and don't give us some generic Doom 3 wannabe.

This could be the game that makes me buy a 360.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's making it? I did love the SNES one. I didn't even realize there was a Sega CD release. Was that just a blinged out port of the Genesis version?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure... internally? Or maybe FASA. I didn't bother making a mental note.

Anyway, the Sega CD version is an entirely seperate game, released only in Japan. It's basically like Snatcher, except with Shining Force style battles (and a complex stats system), plus the occasional matrix hacking mission.

I personally hated the genny version.

I wish M$ would get off its fat ass and release a compilation of the trilogy, with the SCD version in English. But damn, with each one being made by a different company, it would be a nightmare to organise.

Fun Fact: The SNES version was developed in Australia by Beam Software. That's right, devved by our Aussie cousins down under. Smile
EightBit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who headed up the Crimson Skies team came by my old school(Full Sail) once upon a time. Since MS owns the FASA properties a friend of mine cornered him with a question about Shadowrun. He simply said, "We are not allowed to tak about current projects.". Of course, this was a few years back. Who knows what may have changed since then.

I absolutely adored the Genesis version, and hate the SNES version. I always thought that was an entertaining debate that rarely goes beyond;

"Yeah, I don't like that version."

"Yeah I dont like *that* version.'

"Alright, whatever"

"Yeah, whatever"

Always seemed to me that it was ok alsong as we all agree that Shadowrun is awesome. =P

As far as what it would be like, my ultimate dream would be a MMO of some time. That would be the hotness. But I'll settle for the Deus Ex/Morrowind thingy.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked it up and yes, FASA is handling this.

There's potential here, but I'm reluctant to get excited just yet.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightBit wrote:

I absolutely adored the Genesis version, and hate the SNES version. I always thought that was an entertaining debate that rarely goes beyond;

Always seemed to me that it was ok as long as we all agree that Shadowrun is awesome.

True, so true. I often wonder what fans would think of the SCD game. All 3 are so very different. But yeah, the Shadowrun universe and setting rock.

I find, that whichever version you played first, you liked more. I played the SNES version first. Did you play the Gen game first?

Do you really think MS would be foolish enough to simply churn out a generic blaster? I would have thought they had learned their lesson with DE:IW.
EightBit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I did play the Genny version first. Actually, no, I played the pen and paper first. I always felt that the Genny version did a better job of portraying the P&P game, so that's probably why I liked it more.

Unfortunatly, I'm not as optimistic about MS' intelligence and adaptive capabilities as your are. >_<
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's DE:IW?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deus Ex: Invisible War.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, from the context I thought he was referring to something that Microsoft had done in the past.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. There was outrage among some groups because it was dumbed down for a console audience (and design FOR the Xbox).

As opposed to Morrowind which was straight ported.

I believe MS told Bethesda NOT to dumb down Elder Scrolls 4, and make it how they would make any game. As opposed to catering it to console owners.

I could be wrong though. I think I read that on the IC forums whilst drinking ale.

Anyway, the hope is that MS has the brains to allow games designers free reign with the property material, as opposed to telling them to "cater it to console owners, and make it more like Halo".

Damn, just typing that has filled me with fear.

I also hope they don't go down the MMO route, as I point blank refuse to be sucked into online gaming. That, and I can't get broadband where I live.
EightBit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
I also hope they don't go down the MMO route, as I point blank refuse to be sucked into online gaming. That, and I can't get broadband where I live.

Well, I would agree, being that I used to be a MMO addict. But, Guild Wars has shown me the light. I stopped for three months, and then started back up just last weekend with no trouble. I finally have an MMo that doesn't require me to camp anywhere for hours on end, or level grind, or any of the other fun things that used to take up so much time. So it can be done, they just gotta use thier heads. By the by, I play GW with a friend in Texas, and he is using dial up, with no troubles.

I digress... An MMO won't happen this time around, I'm sure. Too much competition, and I'm sure that they wouldn't want to piss off thier newly formed friendship with Square/Enix. I'm still gonna hope for one down the line though.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes... another classic ruined by a crappy sequel...

;_;

i can see it now....
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been playing a bit of invisible war. i'm not sure what i think of it yet, aside from it suffering from a fairly shitty engine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightBit wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:

Well, I would agree, being that I used to be a MMO addict. But, Guild Wars has shown me the light. I stopped for three months, and then started back up just last weekend with no trouble. I finally have an MMo that doesn't require me to camp anywhere for hours on end, or level grind, or any of the other fun things that used to take up so much time. So it can be done, they just gotta use thier heads. By the by, I play GW with a friend in Texas, and he is using dial up, with no troubles.

I digress... An MMO won't happen this time around, I'm sure. Too much competition, and I'm sure that they wouldn't want to piss off thier newly formed friendship with Square/Enix. I'm still gonna hope for one down the line though.

Funny, I just did the same thing with Guild Wars. A fat ass 2 and half month time off (the pleasure of it being subscription-free) and I jumped right back into it for 3 or 4 evenings, completing missions and generally having a good time of it. It's a fine game, that one. Freakish cut-scenes with no mouth movement, but otherwise syrupy, pillowy super-optimized engine goodness and the combat is fast and satisfying. I really look forward to playing it again...in October! I have a Beta test of that City of Villains game next. Zeb Cook's been designing the whole thing and it was looking good at E3, so I'm down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: