The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

keeping it pc; games, that is
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: keeping it pc; games, that is Reply with quote

ha!

ok, so i'm low on clever this afternoon. anyway, like i've detailed before i bought halo, far cry and doom 3 on a whim (along with a new graphics card). short version: halo is unplayable with my chipset (anyone want this? anyone?), doom 3 seems kinda cheesy and far cry is enjoyable but so goddamn hard it makes my mind hurt. i have to push through the end of the two morrowind expansions (i'm on bloodmoon currently) and then my plate should be pretty clear, unless i decide to powerplay doom 3.

so i'm looking for stuff made in the past few years for the pc that are worth checking out. i am of a mind to peep on call of duty, and that new stalker game coming out looks neat, etc, but what else? KOTOR? baldur's gate II?

i'd be happy enough to get system shock 2 running, but i don't think that's in the cards because i do not have a soundcard that will emulate SB16 protocol without a lot of pushing, and i'd rather not push it (push it real good).
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Deus Ex is pretty good.

ha. Seriously you might want to give Jedi Outcast 2 a try. It is hard as hell, but I have been told it becomes rewardingly good after a while. I ... still need to get to that part if it even exists. I picked it up for like $6 so I may go back to it eventually.

I don't know... did you miss Starcraft?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not an rts type of person.

jedi II was on my short list of things to give a shot to, since dark forces 1+ 2 was pretty hot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent PC games that I enjoyed spending time with -

Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich (Irrational). Fun, silly, well-voiced. Good length. Best pure RPG on *PC this year.

I'd say Riddick, because it really is quite good, but it would probably destroy your video card.

You'll have to play Guild Wars. Performs very well on lower end machines, and even if you're not into the online thing you'll get 100 hours out of the campaign with NPC henchmen. And there's no subscription. And the multi-class system is excellent. And it's gorgeous.

SWAT 4 is very good. Best of the series. Has a certain darkness to it. I'm a sucker for Irrational (System Shock 2) games lately. I even enjoyed the campaign of their Tribes Vengeance. I'm keeping a close eye on Irrational. BioShock is coming next.

The Pirates! remake <- you'll want the PC version. Clever game. Great vibe.

Edit: * = Yeah, there's KOTOR 2 to play as well. It's hard to knock the depth of either of them.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Games? What are those? You mean like MAME?

HA!

Seriously, you should check out Indigo Prophecy, which Ryan (Ent Depot) talks about in his blog right here. Looks pretty neat.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that seems interesting. very interesting. something adult ish, eh?

i'll probably give riddick a try. i like fps's, and i enjoy taunting my wife about mr. diesel's sexuality.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hooked on the puzzle game Deadly Rooms of Death for years, and it's been updated with better graphics recently.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
I've been hooked on the puzzle game Deadly Rooms of Death for years, and it's been updated with better graphics recently.

plus the new one has a much more reasonable learning curve.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Control 2, the recent PC port.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Plus, it's totally a free download. You probably need broadband though. Its about 200mb....

Quite a large, and rather enjoyable space adventure with some excellent 1 on 1 spaceship battling. Like the old spacewar.

Give it a whirl. It's free, and you may just like it.

(awaits dessgeega's scathing criticism for placing this above starflight...)
wourme

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planescape: Torment is the one I'd recommend. It has the best writing I've ever seen in a video game, among other things. I also like Baldur's Gate 2, but it doesn't quite have the same level of creativity.

dessgeega wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:

plus the new one has a much more reasonable learning curve.

It's still very hard, though. :)
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom 3 sucks. Don't waste your time with it. The last boss will make you cry, because he is very sad.

I think you'd like Star Control 2, dhex. You... might even like part 3, even though most fans revile it.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Doom 3 sucks. Don't waste your time with it. The last boss will make you cry, because he is very sad.

Mr. Toups, your logic makes me tremble. Why would you play a game all the way to the end if it sucks so bad?

I'm a Doom 3 fan. Not for the way it plays or looks, but for the way it makes me feel (and the sound plays a big part in that).

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Doom3 makes me feel is annoyed.

I played it to the end out of morbid curiosity. I was planning on reviewing it, but instead I reviewed the flight entertainment system on an airplane.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To elaborate: all Doom 3 is is a series of cheap shots. The very worst of RE, strecthed out over a whole game. It never really scared me, aside from making me jump a few times. It's sad to say that it's nowhere near as scary as the original game.
disneyland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

Mr. Toups, your logic makes me tremble. Why would you play a game all the way to the end if it sucks so bad?

I'm a Doom 3 fan. Not for the way it plays or looks, but for the way it makes me feel (and the sound plays a big part in that).

-Wes

Doom 3 doesn't suck, nor is it a waste of time. It has a very distinct feel, and I agree, the sound plays a big part. I really love how it's so simple. It reminds me of a Japanese game in that way. There's nothing complex about the control or the basic gameplay action. I love how effortless it is to interact with computers and things. And the stuff like level design and enemy placement are really good. Id hasn't fragmented very much over the years, and this still feels like that team's work. The way a lot of the mechanized stuff is animated, and the way everything has a massive foley spectrum that mixes in with the ambient music triggers--there's some excellent presentation stuff happening. When you get to the part where you ride the monorail and you get to see these awesome looking exteriors as you ride, it's a fine moment. Because of the texture work and lighting, the game really has an authentic sense of place. The Mars facility is just cool to be in. This is a game I like to attack my senses with. Bear in mind I played it in the "Ultra" mode at 1280x1024 in 5.1 surround. If you say "But how does that actually improve the experience of playing the game?" Because, well -- in this case it does. Granted, Doom 3 is no Half-Life 2 -- but it's miles away from the "It sucks" ballpark, and it doesn't play there.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO! We won't have that discussion in here. I played it on the X-box in Glorious 3.1 sound with the 5.1 setting on but no back speakers in sub 640x480 resolution on a 27 inch TV and had the same experience. It's just a very immersive game. The sound design has the effect of pulling you in. It's not a game that you can play while you're doing something else. Something about the way it all works together has the effect of pulling all of your senses in, and while it may not be constantly scary, it does constantly demand your attention despite its straightforward and simplistic gameplay.

Not much thought for the cranium, but a lot of goosebumps for the arms, which is fine by me.

Besides, dhex already has this game so why are we even talking about it?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half-Life 2 is very interesting in that your brain might explode from trying to figure whether it's a good game or not.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm trying to keep him from wasting 12 hours of his life?

I thought the sound design sucks. Maybe my speakers aren't fancy enough. All the sound effects sounded alike. Getting armor sounded like you were being attacked by an imp. Stupid things like that. The level design was terrible, too. As was the sad attempt at a plot (and since when does Doom need a plot?)

If you want to play a scary FPS with good sound design play System Shock 2. That's all Doom 3 wants to be and it fails miserably.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the armor sounding like an imp thing was intentional to put you on the edge of your seat every time you pick something up. And yeah, the plot thing. Who cares! They only really force you to do anything with it at the very, very beginning.

The level design is good in that I really haven't gotten seriously lost at all yet. And I get lost in FPS games. A lot. The Halo single player mode blows ass completely due to this fact and this fact alone.

System Shock 2 I've never played, but I would have to assume from the way people talk about it that it requires more brainpower than Doom. Who wants that?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have pretty fancy speakers, as far as speakers go (pair of event tr8), a very nice soundcard and a total awesome tascam board that everything passes through. but what i took away from doom so far was:

a) it runs very well with a lot of details turned up. far better than halo, better than far cry and almost as good as half-life 2, which i swear has the best optimized engine i've ever seen.

b) the whole flying skulls thing was fucking cheesy

but after i finish far cry...if i finish far cry...i'll get doom3d.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychonauts is a game that you can play on your PC.

I can't make a post within 24 hours of playing Psychonauts without mentioning it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I think the armor sounding like an imp thing was intentional to put you on the edge of your seat every time you pick something up. And yeah, the plot thing. Who cares! They only really force you to do anything with it at the very, very beginning.

That's bull. You're always having to listen to boring audio logs all the time for passcodes and shit. It gets old.

As for the armor: Yeah. That's why I hate it. It's a cheap shot, and it only really works once.

Quote:
The level design is good in that I really haven't gotten seriously lost at all yet. And I get lost in FPS games. A lot. The Halo single player mode blows ass completely due to this fact and this fact alone.

It's hard to get lost when the level is just one long line with a bunch of imps jumping out of hidden panels.

Quote:
System Shock 2 I've never played, but I would have to assume from the way people talk about it that it requires more brainpower than Doom. Who wants that?

Doom isn't exactly a brainless game itself, you know. Not after the first few levels.

Doom 3 is, though. For the whole game.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
That's bull. You're always having to listen to boring audio logs all the time for passcodes and shit. It gets old.

Oh yeah, I stopped doing those after the first few. That kind of explains a bit of your distate for the game...

Mister Toups wrote:
It's hard to get lost when the level is just one long line with a bunch of imps jumping out of hidden panels.

Exactly! It's focused!

Mister Toups wrote:
Doom isn't exactly a brainless game itself, you know. Not after the first few levels.

I challenge you to explain this instead of just saying it. Are you referring to being forced to tell the difference between the red and blue keys you have to pick up? Or possibly when it forces you to figure out what's changed when you hit a button or flip a switch?

Mister Toups wrote:
Doom 3 is, though. For the whole game.

I guess my point is that there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Having to think about a bunch of different things while you play only pulls away from the emotional impact and gets your mind wandering. Doom 3 is all about immersion. That and F-Zero GX/AX are the only games I've played in the past few years where I've really felt sucked into the game to the exclusion of all else. It's a good feeling.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Doom 3 didn't immerse me at all. Maybe if I had played it on PC.

How much have you played of the original Doom? The levels towards the end get pretty complex. The level design was really pretty damned great. It's just banal in Doom 3.

I found the original Doom to be more immersive and scarier than Doom 3. Discuss.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I found the original Doom to be more immersive and scarier than Doom 3. Discuss.

I believe that Toups found the original Doom to be more immersive and scarier than Doom 3 because he played Doom when he was 10 years old and Doom 3 when he was 23.

(Wait, we are supposed to be discussing why you found the original Doom more immersive, right?)

And for the record I played all the way through Doom. On the Playstation. With its digital controls! When I was 16! And yeah, I'm not comparing Doom 3 with Doom 1, I'm comparing Doom 3 with how much I enjoyed it. Which can be placed in the context of enjoying a game without considering the extent that it builds on its predecessor's "genre evolution" and just on pure adrenaline.

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

I believe that Toups found the original Doom to be more immersive and scarier than Doom 3 because he played Doom when he was 10 years old and Doom 3 when he was 23.

I love this thread.

Dhex: Check some fansites online for Halo PC optimizing, it's worth it. It didn't run well on anyone's computer, something to do with how it was ported I think. I'll look for some sites for you in a minute, because it ran like shit on my PC as well(and I don't have an awesome gaming "rig" by a long shot") but after looking up some simple tweaks it ran pretty damn good. Edit-Or did you already try to optimize and found out it was your chipset as a whole? Because if you can run Doom 3 and Far Cry and Half-Life 2 you should be able to get Halo running.

Doom 3 is good if all you want to do is stop thinking and shoot things. It does get pretty old after while when the same scare tactic has been used for the 3000th time and has stopped being scary a long time ago. I'd just play Half-Life 2 a whole lot if I were you. I still haven't played that yet, I really want to.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

(Wait, we are supposed to be discussing why you found the original Doom more immersive, right?)

And for the record I played all the way through Doom. On the Playstation. With its digital controls! When I was 16! And yeah, I'm not comparing Doom 3 with Doom 1, I'm comparing Doom 3 with how much I enjoyed it. Which can be placed in the context of enjoying a game without considering the extent that it builds on its predecessor's "genre evolution" and just on pure adrenaline.

-Wes

I still play Doom, bitch. Don't question how much I play Doom! I play Doom a lot! I used to make levels for Doom! Respek!

AHEM.

The Playstation is the absolute worst platform to play Doom on. Although I guess it's not worse than playing Doom 3 on Xbox -- but at least the Xbox controller was designed for FPS games.

I don't know. Doom 3 doesn't do much for me, as a Doom game or as an "action-horror FPS". I never got excited playing it at all. I don't know why. Maybe I play too many horror games and I know all the tricks by now.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to thank everyone for their input. distributed networks of information are stupid cool.

anyway, i didn't really get into tweaking halo. i'll reinstall it and try again someday, maybe.

half life 2 is one of the most enjoyable games i have ever played. i don't know whether that makes me an asshole or not these days.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, man. Half Life 2 is golden.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'd been reading gamefaqs and felt a little injured. aparently i'm a fagit.

i can say this, though. no matter what, some people do not like ambiguity in their entertainment.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, should you ever decide to reinstall Halo PC here's a guide I used way back when it first came out that I found handy. There was another one as well but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i can say this, though. no matter what, some people do not like ambiguity in their entertainment.

These are the same people who disliked A.I.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wish they did more with the environmental puzzles in HL2, there was a lot of potential there that they could have tapped. And it's got more seams than the original.

It's still pretty damn hard to fault, though.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a fault it's that it's too fucking perfect.

Mind you I still haven't finished it.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Spoiler. They don't do that much with the environmental puzzles.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have more cognitive dissonance with Half-Life 2 than I do with other games because it looks so good.

Let me explain: The game looks so much more realistic than other games that running into walls frustrates me in a way that it wouldn't in a game that was more obviously game-y.

That said, they do a really really good job of hiding how linear the game is. If they hadn't put so much effort into it, it would have been really annoying rather than an itch that you get in the back of your brain.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tweak link mr. mech'nal.

Quote:
These are the same people who disliked A.I.

that movie with the little kid who's a robot?

how far did you get in hl2, toups?

Quote:
That said, they do a really really good job of hiding how linear the game is.

yeah. it feels like a great journey, even though someone's pulling the rope at the front of your wagon. shit, i want to go play it now. the city fighting near the end...you're running around with puppets, but it feels as real as a completely unrealistic game about war and bloodshed can feel.

and the voice acting doesn't make me want to die, which is pretty rare.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel sad I don't have a PC that can play this game
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will soon...

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck d00d read the previews!

Quote:
EA TAKES CREDIT OVER VALVE
"Ok this game sucks....this is not a spolier: at the end the tower blows up and you never know if anyone is dead or alive... suxors!!!!! ya.. anyways... buy the game but dont play it!!! you will be disappointed!!!!!
dont say i didnt warn you!

every movie should end with the destruction of life on earth so there's no loose ends lying about.

seriously, that shit puzzles me. it puzzles my fucking pants off. life is pretty fucking dodgy, why should entertainment be any less so?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still would have been nice if they gave you a hint, really. Even that last Twin Peaks episode is interpretable.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it puzzles my fucking pants off.

that's the best turn of phrase i've heard all day.

also: the prisoner!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See but that's what I want.

Information.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you won't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know where those steam servers are, come to think of it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the prisoner. the last episode is fucking perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely.

Hey, look what google turned up!
Quote:
Computer games

In the 1970s, Eduware produced The Prisoner, a video game for the Apple II computer based upon the television series. The game was reportedly not officially licenced, so a number of changes had to be made in order to distance the game from a few of the more recognizable Prisoner elements. The game designers incorporated elements of Franz Kafka's The Castle into the game, in which the players assumed the role of a character referred to as # (the "number sign" in the United States and Canada). # wakes up on The Island, and explores the 20 homes, shops and service buildings there, trying to find clues as to how to escape.

The player is given a three-digit number, which signifies #'s reasons for resigning. The game then attempts at numerous times to trick the player into revealing the number. One of the most nefarious was a simulated game crash which included the error message "Syntax error in line ###" where the line number was the player's resignation code. The significance of this is that this was a commonly seen error message in the Apple II's BASIC programming language; out of pure habit, the next step most users would take at this point would be to investigate the erroneous line to try and correct the error, using the command "List ###" where ### once again is the line number. Typing the game's three-digit code at any time resulted in the game being lost, and that included typing the line into the BASIC command.

Considered unique among games of this sort, The Prisoner was reportedly used as a training tool for Central Intelligence Agency agents. (Around this time, Eduware also released a "game" that simulated terrorist attacks - up to and including nuclear - and the player's task is to respond to these incidents.)

In 1981, Eduware released a version of the game, Prisoner 2

Not half bad for the 70s.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You will soon...

FPS games make me nauseous on consoles. So far the only one that has not was Halo. Everything else has. HENCE why I said PC, not: Boy I wish it was out for the xbox already. I mean, I knew it was coming out for the Xbox. This makes me sad I don't have a PC to run this game.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the prisoner playable anywhere? It sounds keen.
disneyland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
You will soon...

FPS games make me nauseous on consoles. So far the only one that has not was Halo. Everything else has. HENCE why I said PC, not: Boy I wish it was out for the xbox already. I mean, I knew it was coming out for the Xbox. This makes me sad I don't have a PC to run this game.

Playing FPS games with a controller is nauseating. It is motion sickness manifested in physical form, in your hands. Maybe one day there will be a controller type that is superior to mouse and keyboard for this particular spectrum of game design. I look forward to it. The way console FPS games have reticule lock-on to compensate for lack of precision and the genre-defying analog stick 'deadzone' makes me weep. Those mouse-keyboard console adapters are decent, but the compatibility isn't always there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: