The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Halo 3: non-haters only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
such as the grunts seeing WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS when they kill you.

There has to be a video of this somewhere.
Slonie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just finished the fight, so to speak, on solo Heroic. Next up, co-op Legendary, and then when I grow a set, solo legendary (hi Cycle).

A few observations
1) The people who claim to have cruised through Heroic in a couple hours without any trouble. Either they're bullshitting, or they're just really, really good. I died. A LOT.

2) People who say the campaign sucks: They are coldhearted bastards. There are tons of immensely satisfying battles and set pieces in here that I can't wait to play again. Especially on co-op where dying wont' send you back.

3) Fucking Flood Turret Form. Fuck them. Fuck fuck fuck. I'd say that the second to last stage is incredibly cheap, but my friend just calls me a pussy. Oh well. I can see why people claim that this, stage sucks, but only because of the fucking TURRET GUYS. Otherwise it's a beautiful(ly disgusting) level.

And for the folks I played with tonight. Sup.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
3) Fucking Flood Turret Form. Fuck them. Fuck fuck fuck. I'd say that the second to last stage is incredibly cheap, but my friend just calls me a pussy. Oh well. I can see why people claim that this, stage sucks, but only because of the fucking TURRET GUYS. Otherwise it's a beautiful(ly disgusting) level.

These bastards just made me wish I was playing Gears, honestly.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't get why people say the campaign sucks. There are only two level I didn't like, the rest are pretty great. The game shines the most on Legendary... I just finished it on this, by the by, very satisfying.

PROTIP: The Flood Spikers are very vunerable to needlers. Very vunerable. The giant flood die with one swipe of the sword. But yeah, the turrets are pretty much what makes the flood level suck. Seriously, it mad me hate the game so much, but knowing needlers deal with them easily helps.

That level is lots of fun on co-op though. We both have swords, I has a plasma pistol, and he had a needler. Plowing through flood with swords together was pretty awesome, and the pistols and needlers helped deal with the spikers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I did legendary in one solid sitting with a friend (OK, at one point we took a break for me to go buy snacks and talk to some drunk girls who invaded the room) and on the Ark mission - the big Stargate-desert Scarab battle royale - I grabbed a brute chopper, used the too-short short turbo boost to gun it off a battlement and land on the scarab. Then I destroyed it's core, ran back to the chopper (which was parked on the side ridge) and drove away from the whole mess.

As for the story: I've read quite a few Marathon synopsises (synopsi?) and all the backstory to that mess seems to be is that some aliens with utterly stupid names doing cliched, mystic things while some AI lols it up. Halo at least had one hell of a nasty twist - they killed everything in the universe. We did some of the terminals last night and I felt literally embarrased by how big the words were. Give me John Rambo and his computer girlfriend blowing shit up any day.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
As for the story: I've read quite a few Marathon synopsises (synopsi?) and all the backstory to that mess seems to be is that some aliens with utterly stupid names doing cliched, mystic things while some AI lols it up. Halo at least had one hell of a nasty twist - they killed everything in the universe. We did some of the terminals last night and I felt literally embarrased by how big the words were. Give me John Rambo and his computer girlfriend blowing shit up any day.

In the first game, yeah, Marathon was about aliens invading a colony ship and an AI fucking with them ON A VERY BASIC LEVEL. Some deeper stuff goes on, but it doesn't match the level of stuff that goes on in the sequels.

For example, in the third game, the bad aliens destory the universe multiple times. Not just once! Take THAT, Forerunners.

(Yeah, the plot of the third game is rather complicated, allowing such a feat).

I was kinda enjoying the Halo 3 story, until the Gravemind came into it, AKA Captain Cliche.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW IWBYD SKULL INFO:

I heard a marine say THIS IS FOR ALL THE LADIES I AIN'T SEXIN' BECAUSE I'M HERE FIGHTING -YOU-!!!!
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. I love all the crazy one-liners.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slonie wrote:
1) The people who claim to have cruised through Heroic in a couple hours without any trouble. Either they're bullshitting, or they're just really, really good. I died. A LOT.

I don't have any problems with the game. It's got nice set pieces and is a pretty good shooting gallery. I do have problems with the story though. Anyways to comment on the above specifically:

For what ever reason the game did not recognize that I cleared Chapter 6 (the one with the dual Scarab battle towards the end), I didn't realize this until I got the achievement for chapter 7 and was like WTF?! So, in case you didn't know I'm playing with my wife and I told her that she could just leave her controller there and I would plow through the game basically solo. She decided to play with me even though she tried to go to bed just minutes before. Anyways, the moral of the story is this: our first time through the level took about 1.5 hours, when we went back knowing what to do it only took about 40-45minutes. So, knowing that I'm only decent at the game at best I imagine that the level could be completed in about 30 minutes if they knew what they're doing. If I recall correctly it's one of the longer levels from my first play through.

So, for a second play through with someone who's good at the game I can imagine them completing the whole thing on Heroic in 5 hours or less.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I was kinda enjoying the Halo 3 story, until the Gravemind came into it, AKA Captain Cliche.

Did you read that little hardcover book that came with the LE? The gravemind is kinda interesting in terms of how the flood work. It seems that the Flood Re-outbreak is tied to the growth of a gravemind.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
synopsises (synopsi?)

For the record:

synopsis:synopses::analysis:analyses
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ah, where exactly are the terminals? I haven't seen any yet and I'd think that I'm pretty far through the game.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy said they're supposed to look something like giant eyes. I assumed he meant the covenant-tech glowy blue platform/obstruction things from the beginning of the second-to-last level, and spent about a minute just jumping around on one trying to get it to activate.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if somebody could post a picture of what the hell they look like, that would be sweet. Or directions to the first one or something.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right third of that shot appears to be pasted in from Metroid Prime.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the brightness contrast has been kicked up to highlight what you're looking for. They don't look so out of place in the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: