The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Videogame Soundtracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Videogame Soundtracks Reply with quote

Silent Hill 2 got me into video game soundtracks. Most of the time I just thought of it in a passing manner. Occasionally a nice remix would pop up from location to location and I would download it, but before SH2 I pretty much ignored them (especially after 8-bit days).

As of late I have gone beyond that and looked at the many different angles of soundtracks and have been paying attention to them more in games. It adds a layer that I often times ignored.

Castlevania is what I have been looking at in volume lately. I have about 8 different albums right now, although 2 are unofficial. I found that Castlevania Dungeon has most of the soundtracks for download but they are using file planet, so screw that. I am slowly finding more all the time though.

Without ever playing Mother 1 and 2 a friend helped me with the soundtracks for them and the pop vocal versions of them. They were really great stuff, especially the OSTs. They inspired me to seek out and play Mother 1 (although I probably won't ever finish it) and will be moving on to Earthbound next month (hopefully).

Metroid also has some good stuff. Metroid Metal is an excellent site for some nice guitar/metal versions of metroid themes and songs. They also have one of the best designs for a video game t-shirt I have ever seen.

So, what are peoples stands on video game music? Do you normally just dismiss it? Do you normally not like it? Hate it? Actively seek out game soundtracks? What are some you like?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't understand stuff like the minibosses, for that's worth.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i don't understand stuff like the minibosses, for that's worth.

What is it you don't understand? I enjoy the minibosses. They took something they have a passion about and turned it into band music. Rock band that is.
ajutla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really, really, really want the Mother 1 OST.

Really, really, really.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is it you don't understand? I enjoy the minibosses. They took something they have a passion about and turned it into band music. Rock band that is.

well, i understand that. i just don't understand why they bothered. they're a j giles cover band for vg nerds.

don't get me wrong, i like goofy music here and there, and not everything needs be a paean to capital "arrrr" ART, but vg music tends to be what it is, and it's not something that works outside of that context. even the katamari damacy music, which is pretty hot, is just not good enough to be an album on its own. because it's a part of something, not a whole.

i guess what i mean is that i love music the way you guys love games, that hopeless, stupid love of bad poetry and gooey stirrings in the lower third of the body. so the minibosses and related stuff is basically madden [xx].
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
so the minibosses and related stuff is basically madden [xx].

You should hop on aim this weekend sometime, I have some stuff I would like to get your impression of on this after reading that comment.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the videogame cover bands like the Minibosses and The Advantage and such because it's like they're taking the music and playing it with the instruments it was intended to sound like it was being played with. Also because the Minibosses at least try to take every piece of music from a game, like Mega Man or Contra, and arrange it all into a single song. Sometimes it works pretty well, sometimes it doesn't.

As for game music not working as a whole, and simply being a part of something: I'll agree with you there. Though what was that game that 108 was talking about? Romancing Saga? Apparently some of the music on that game works quite well on its own. I could probably come up with a couple more examples if I tried hard enough. It's not much, but it kind of shows that it's getting to that point. Right now game music is kind of like Hollywood action movie soundtracks. Nothing wrong with that per se, just that it'd be neat if it got good enough to the point where it worked as music without having to have the game attached to it.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of video game music in the OST form, but I do enjoy Symphonic Arrangements, Piano Arrangements, and stuff like Minibosses and Metroid Metal. Even then it's only for the novelty factor. I'm with dhex. Video Game soundtracks are the same as Movie Soundtracks. It's nice that they can remind you of what they're from, but they don't really stand on their own as listening material (of course, unless you're into that sort of thing).

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love listening to certain game soundtracks while writing.

Something like Kenji Eno's fantastic D2 soundtrack, or even the recent Fable soundtrack -- these are legitimately very good stand alone tunes for general purpose listening.

If I need some energy, I bring up the Nights soundtrack. Not the OST - it uses bad re-sampled instruments. The Nights Full Selection. Great, great music...

Saturn Bomberman soundtrack - awesome, vintage Hudson. Literally feels like the most natural transition from SFC chip to redbook. Quirks intact.

Sonic CD, Japanese version soundtrack. Such perfect Sonic music, and just as cool on its own. Spencer Nielsen's US soundtrack is so painfully wrong for the gameplay of Sonic CD, even if it was good for general purpose listening, I couldn’t do it.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love me the Tanguy.

Also, I obtained the RR Type-4 soundtrack at great difficulty just so I could record it to a cassette and then drive around while playing it.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
I really, really, really, really want the Mother 1 OST.

me too. a friend should be sending it to me some time soon...

also: jake kaufman. in particular, his remix of hip tanaka's balloon fight theme.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend and I were recently talking about early game music’s influence on our musical tastes. We’re big fans of electronic stuff, you know: Orbital, Aphex, Four Tet, Amon Tobin – that sort of thing. We went back to where we picked up the thirst for this.

I’m 28 and he’s 29, so we missed the whole Detroit/Germany Juan Atkins/Kraftwerk revolution. Our parents listened to plenty of early ‘80s disco and glitch, like Blondie, Donna Summer, Herbie Hancock, etc. – the usual suspects. We weren’t old enough to develop specific tastes based on that exposure though. So we realized: it was video game music that introduced the fever for the flavor. I mean, there’s nothing more electronically pure than a series of melodic square and sine waves, a 4k bassline oscillation, or a silky FM synth. That’s electronic music.

I remember loving the Castlevania 2 music. Friends and I were amazed with Konami’s NES sound engine. It killed everything else. Well, everything except vintage Kodaka Sunsoft music like Batman and Journey to Silius. He had these wicked sustained sine waves and awesome melodies. Tim Follin also kicked the NES sound chip’s ass in games like Silver Surfer. Rob Hubbard on C64. Remember LX Rudis on Lynx? Electrocop and Klax were nuts. Jesper Kyd on Amiga and Genesis. Yuzo Koshiro on MSX and Mega Drive. All these amazing hardware-defying soundtracks. Obviously Square had some of the most gorgeous music on SFC, compositionally, but that crazy-powerful Sony sound chip (a.k.a. the Sample Beast) took a bit of the fun out of it.

It used to be an art form for these professional musicians to coerce weak machines to perform their tracks. It encouraged such a melody and harmony-based approach to music composition. If you isolate those melodies, there is some incredible music in the 8 and 16-bit generations.

So we determined that it was actually video game tuneage that opened our brains to the idea of more abstract computer-generated music, not the “real” music we listened to as kids. A very comforting realization.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
It used to be an art form for these professional musicians to coerce weak machines to perform their tracks.

see also: chiptunes.

also, tree wave.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, the Treewave track "Sleep" is great.

Would love to see them live. All the older hardware he's modified...this guy is rather hardcore.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So we realized: it was video game music that introduced the fever for the flavor.

yeah, basically.

nullsleep is good. the rest of the chiptunes stuff is not so hot, from my limited survey; it kinda comes back to my original point...why hear someone do afx sounding stuff circa 95 on a gameboy when you could listen to afx do 89 sounding stuff in 2005?

again, it's just a taste thing. i think the new autechre is good, so like...yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh... there are alot of games of which are enhanced by its soundtrack... sometimes it may have even made unplayable games playable.
to list some...

Ape Escape
Ape Escape Pumped and primed
Street of Rage (Series)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Series)
Actraiser (Series)
Bust a Groove
Gunstar Heroes
Final Fantasy 6 (the only one with a decent soundtrack.)

the list goes on and on....

i recommend finding tracks of all these games... for they are worth it...

its true what some of you folks are saying though..

sometimes the music loses context outside of the game... emotions are often tied to VG music.. which is why if you arent "feeling it"... it bites...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi d wrote:
meh... there are alot of games of which are enhanced by its soundtrack... sometimes it may have even made unplayable games playable.

disneyland wrote:
...Journey to Silius.

gunstar heroes is only playable because of its soundtrack?
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the only vg soundtrack that I own is Silent Hill 3. It's alright by itself, but the real ethereal strangeness of the atmosphere is lost on you if you haven't played the game. It not very good bedtime or drawing music, either, so I don't know when is the best time to whip it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopdroop's (formerly wilfred castillo) tracks are pretty chill. he produces most of them on a gameboy. hilights include you're a hero on level zero and coming in for a landing, we're home.

ten and tracer's dark before dawn is pretty delightful, and twilight electric's meanings is sad and wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once spent a lot of money blindly ordering Final Fantasy Symphonic Suite and Konami Shooter Battle 2. I loved FFSS, and it remains my favorite arranged video game music CD, but I was just sort of surprised by KSB2. I was really looking forward to a fancy arrangement of Axelay: Colony. What I got was electric guitar. I ended up selling that CD for more than I paid for it on usenet.

Most "rock" interpretations of video game music don't impress me at all. Partly becuase I don't care for most such music in general, and partly because a lot of the appeal of the originals for me is the actual synthesizers, regardless of whether the musicians would have used traditional instruments if they could have.

For me, a lot of video game music works outside of the games. I listen to video game music almost as much as I do other music. Part of it is surely nostalgia for the games, but I listen to music from games I've never even seen. Even back in Commodore 64 days, I'd load up some games (or crackers' intros) just to hear the music, and not even play the games.

I won't even start listing my favorite video game music--that would take a while. As for arrangements, a lot of my favorites are at http://remix.kwed.org . feekzoid, o2, ifadeo--for a lot of these, whether you've played the game is irrelevant.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now i listen to videogame music and chiptunes almost exclusively.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
Aphex

Speaking of which, I am listening to Richard James' Pac Man EP right now. Funny. I came back to read the responses and here it is.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I was really looking forward to a fancy arrangement of Axelay: Colony. What I got was electric guitar. I ended up selling that CD for more than I paid for it on usenet.

What.
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
wourme wrote:
I was really looking forward to a fancy arrangement of Axelay: Colony. What I got was electric guitar. I ended up selling that CD for more than I paid for it on usenet.

What.

I didn't care for the style, that's all. Years later, I actually found some arranged Axelay music on Napster that I liked better. No idea where it's from, though.

One interesting thing I came across recently is the R-Type Complete CD (PCE) soundtrack. The arrangements are generally fun to listen to, but some of them are so odd.
Pootivic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two I've ever bought were the Katamari soundtrack and the parappa soundtrack. Other than that videogame music tends to be repetitive, as it's designed to loop. Katamari and Parappa are just goofy and fun.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm humming to myself putting away the laundry or whatever, it's usually videogame music.

It's seriously the soundtrack to my life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, has anyone heard anything about this hoopla?

it gets a demerit point for tommy tallarico being involved, but still.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
Spencer Nielsen's US soundtrack is so painfully wrong for the gameplay of Sonic CD, even if it was good for general purpose listening

Are you being serious about it being good for general purpose listening? My brother and I played the game on a real Sega CD for the first time a couple days ago and we couldn't stop laughing at how awful the theme is and how bad the game music is. At least we agree it doesn't fit....

What are some other bad videogame soundtracks? My mind is blank right now. Of everything. I need to go to sleep...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so, has anyone heard anything about this hoopla?

Yea, I thought I posted a link to this somewhere. It is just disapointing it is going no where near me.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Woodlands isn't all that far away. We could road trip it if you really wanted to go.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
The Woodlands isn't all that far away. We could road trip it if you really wanted to go.

I find out now it is in Huston really... hmm. See, initally, it did not show up in mapquest so I had no idea how far it was.
disneyland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
disneyland wrote:
Spencer Nielsen's US soundtrack is so painfully wrong for the gameplay of Sonic CD, even if it was good for general purpose listening

Are you being serious about it being good for general purpose listening? My brother and I played the game on a real Sega CD for the first time a couple days ago and we couldn't stop laughing...

I was being serious about "...even if it was good for general purpose listening". Emphasis IF. I agree that Nielsen's score in Sonic CD is shitty, but remember that some people think John Tesh is sweet for general purpose listening.
nICO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
nICO wrote:
disneyland wrote:

Are you being serious about it being good for general purpose listening? My brother and I played the game on a real Sega CD for the first time a couple days ago and we couldn't stop laughing...

Emphasis IF

I thought you might have meant that, but it wasn't what I found to be the obvious reading. How about that video that goes with the theme song? Wow...
Blazehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
don't get me wrong, i like goofy music here and there, and not everything needs be a paean to capital "arrrr" ART, but vg music tends to be what it is, and it's not something that works outside of that context. even the katamari damacy music, which is pretty hot, is just not good enough to be an album on its own. because it's a part of something, not a whole.

I feel this way about recent Videogame Music. Even Mario games seem to be shifting more into the realm of "ambient music" rather than whistle-while-you-work melodies. (This is my way of saying I didn't like the soundtracks to Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash, and don't have high hopes for New Super Mario Brothers, based on what I've heard).

But, I dunno. The 16bit Era seemed to be a golden age for Videogame Music. Most of the 32bit Era, too. Over 80% of the music I currently have on my HDD right now is videogame music. It pisses me off a little bit that real videogame music nowadays is getting de-emphasized in favor of non-listenable ambience stuff or mainstream licensed music. I really dig the soundtracks to, like, Donkey Kong Country, Mario RPG, and Earthworm Jim. That was memorable videogame music.

Nowadays, the only videogame music you can count on listening to outside of the game is Guilty Gear and a couple of RPGs Square-Enix put out. Or Remixes; Overclocked, VGmix, Dwelling of Duels. That sort of thing. It really depresses me. I miss good Videogame Music.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you bitches need to shut up and listen to the Mother 2 soundtrack.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to listen to the mother one soundtrack.

i seem to remember a certain editor-in-chief who i am burning dvds for out of the goodness of my heart and asking nothing in return for promising he would get me a copy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the mp3's on my computer, you know. Courtesy of that same editor-in-chief.

Or do you not use mp3s?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i certainly do use mp3s.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on it Dess.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

I always wondered where the hell the Mother 2 soundtrack came from. It was a great soundtrack, for sure, but that's not the point, really; it was so much different than everything else on the SNES, it really stood out. What I'm wondering is: does anyone know anything about the soundtrack and how it was produced? I figure we have some major Mother masters here, and I can probably get some sort of an answer.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
I am on it Dess.

i knew i could count on you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only own two at the moment. The Snake Eater single from Japan, and the piano renditions of Final Fantasy 6's score (which is almost enough to move me to tears as it hits my ears when I put it on). Crying or Very sad
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

I always wondered where the hell the Mother 2 soundtrack came from. It was a great soundtrack, for sure, but that's not the point, really; it was so much different than everything else on the SNES, it really stood out. What I'm wondering is: does anyone know anything about the soundtrack and how it was produced? I figure we have some major Mother masters here, and I can probably get some sort of an answer.

Tim might know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: