The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Zelda Darkness (Past faults admited!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Princess Zelda Darkness (Past faults admited!) Reply with quote

From Swedish mag Reset (credit to Santacruzer at GAF for summary)

Quote:

About MM and WW

Aounuma both directed Majoras Mask and wind Waker, but he says he wasn't completely happy with them, and he began to feel insecure about his and the franchise's future.

"When we finished the work on Wind Waker, a small group of key people gathered (5) to talk about the future for Legend of Zelda. At first our meetings was about how we would re-use Wind Wakers engine, but everytime we talked about Link's age we started to feel insecure. We had told the story of his childhood so many times and felt we didn't have any great ideas."
"The turning-point came when we decided that Link shouldn't start as a child. When I told them (our team) about our new direction, everybody suddenly got some great ideas, and I suddenly felt that we should abandon all thoughts about a sequel to Wind Waker and instead building a new graphics engine from scratch. A more adult theme made us go with a more realistic world."

About the mistakes in Wind Waker

"When a project grows continuously, you have to split it to pieces. I was the director for Wind Waker, but I let different people be responsible for different parts of the production. I had control how things we're going for them, but at the end of the production we fought against the clock and there were parts that I was forced to approve even though it didn't feel complete. I apologize that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull."

"During the Twilight Princess development, I refuse to repeat the mistakes, it means more responsibility for me, but this time we can't let things to go wrong. "

Even though Aounuma is the director and producer, he and Miyamoto have about the same comprehensive planning. They are working together to make reality of their visions.

"The parts you were able to play at E3 reminds you much of the precursors if you look at the control and outlay, but the new game contains much more than so. The E3 visitors has only seen a small fraction what the full adventure has to offer," says Miyamoto.

"Twilight Princess circles around a long and pretty complex story." says Aounuma.

"I have absorbed the criticism we got from Wind Waker that the sea was too big and the number of dungeons and caves were too few," says Miyamoto. "The new game will have more dungeons. Many more."

"To make the game dark is only one of our goals. This is a more serious story, but when you walk around in Toaru Village it's almost like another game. The atmosphere is not serious at all. We want Twilight Princess to contain all sides of what people think of Legend of Zelda," says Aounuma.

Aounuma also says that he played Resident Evil 4 a lot and he really liked it. He says that he has learned things from Shinji Mikami and Hiroyuki Kobayashi.

It is a pretty brief article, I wish it was a bit more in depth. It hints at some really nice things, and gets my hopes up a little, but I have yet to like a 3D Zelda game. I was hoping that something would get my hopes up more, but so far this is the best part: "We want Twilight Princess to contain all sides of what people think of Legend of Zelda" Hopefully he can read my mind.

Also, the RE4 comment is interesting.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOT RUMOR: Shinji Mikami is making the Mario game for the Revolution.

He apparently had a good deal to do with Majora's Mask. Or so I hear.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't he make all those capcom Mickey games?
disneyland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...It hints at some really nice things, and gets my hopes up a little, but I have yet to like a 3D Zelda game. I was hoping that something would get my hopes up more, but so far this is the best part: "We want Twilight Princess to contain all sides of what people think of Legend of Zelda" Hopefully he can read my mind.

Remember that Ocarina of Time was extremely popular and most would say deservedly so. A lot of what people think of a classic (3D) Legend of Zelda rests in the memory of that great game. That isn't something Aounuma and Shigs are going to overlook.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
Remember that Ocarina of Time was extremely popular and most would say deservedly so. A lot of what people think of a classic (3D) Legend of Zelda rests in the memory of that great game. That isn't something Aounuma and Shigs are going to overlook.

I need to be really honest. I never finished OoT. I could not enjoy it. It was just not what I was looking for. I really can't put a finger on what it is. I was one of those people who preordered and got a gold cart. I was following the game when it was slated to be the first to use the expansion pack. I even have said before I like it. I don't hate it or anything like that. It's just that it did not captivate me like the previous 2D games. I can say almost the exact same thing about Metroid Prime.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finished ocarina of time and never played it again. i don't care for it at all. part of it may be the terrible, terrible name.

but anyway, i like wind waker a lot more than ocarina.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Ocarina of Time in 3 or 4 days and loved every minute of it. Then I never played it again. It's kind of one of those things for me that went by so fast that I don't remember enough of it to really have a strong opinion of it. Contrast this with Wind Waker, which I played through twice. Once for the strategy guide, and again for the hell of it.

A few weeks ago I began an Ocarina of Time "Master Quest" game and I was really enjoying myself. I think the problem is that Ocarina of Time isn't as "fun" as Wind Waker, but if you look at how it's structured it really is a pretty great game. There's a certain feeling to the pacing that's very tight, but very loose at the same time. It feels like you can go anywhere, but you're always compelled to go in the right direction. It was that way for me anyways. I hope the new game can capture this feeling and still be "fun."

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i played ocarina i kept wanting every battle to be a stalfos battle.

so it's only natural i would like wind waker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
There's a certain feeling to the pacing that's very tight, but very loose at the same time. It feels like you can go anywhere, but you're always compelled to go in the right direction. It was that way for me anyways. I hope the new game can capture this feeling and still be "fun."

-Wes

I think the reason this works is that when we all first played it, we didn't know any better. And they did a good enough job keeping the arbitrary walls just out of view, so that if you didn't try to do things out of order, you'd never know that they were funneling you in on a path. And the second time you play through you already know where you're supposed to go next so you willingly and gladly oblige.

I can't really play Ocarina of Time anymore because of how transparent is seems, these days. The biggest problem with the game is that it simply can't maintain the original promise of Hyrule Field. You know what I mean: the first time you come upon Hyrule field, you are taken aback by just how vast it looks, and you think: "This is Hyrule?" But by the time you get Epona you realize, ultimately, just how discreet the area is, and that it's really not all that big, and, while nice, it doesn't quite live up to what it initially suggested.

This is maybe the biggest way in which Wind Waker is superior: setting things on a vast ocean does a pretty good job constantly maintaining that illusion. You never feel like the world is ever any smaller than how it's first presented to you; or when you do, you are considerably further along in the game than you were in Ocarina. Of course, as many people have argued, the ocean is perhaps Wind Waker's greatest fault. I'll concede that, though perhaps not the "greatest" part. It too is a game with weaknesses but it was much more successful at capturing my imagination than anything previous.

Majora's Mask is a whole different ball game, of course.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda vs. Morrowind.

Actually, I never really had my enjoyment of Ocarina of Time spoiled. I vastly enjoyed the game at the age I was when I first played it and I haven't really encountered anything to alter my high opinion of it.

I haven't replayed it, because my n64 has been on loan for some time, but I did occaisonally replay the final boss battle, and I found it just as impactful. I'd like to now though, just to see if I can go through it again.

Aesthetically I think the bluriness of the n64 really helped it out. I mean, the boss inside the Deku tree and Ganon's final form wouldn't be nearly as terrifying if they had the sort of sharpness you see on emulators. Part of that freakiness was seeing these hulking dark shapes with eerily glowing eyes moving against you. Wind Waker almost seems like the logical extension of the bluriness to a much higher resolution format. Abstracting the actual content in lieu of the medium doing it automatically. I think that's kind of a crazy connection to draw though.

As for the promise of Hyrule field, I can see how it would seem much more cramped on a replay, especially knowing there's only a few places you can actually go. However, I still think just riding around in that area has a wonderful sense of freedom. It was quite a big step for the console they were using.
wourme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all three of the 3D Zelda games are brilliant. I still hated all 3D polygon games when I started playing Ocarina of Time, but it gradually made me realize that they were not all necessarily terrible. By the time I finished the forest temple, I was sold. I still consider that one of the most well-crafted video game areas I've encountered.

The only aspect of Majora's Mask that annoyed me was its difficulty. Some parts took me forever, and I had to resort to reading a cheat guide to get one of the masks (the one involving a conveyor belt), and I didn't like doing that. That said, I can remember the days when I didn't beat a game within a few weeks of getting it. Some games took me years, and some I never beat at all (at least until Game Genie came along).

Wind Waker is one of the most visually attractive (and fun) games I've experienced, but it had some weaknesses that I was actually surprised to find after the two prior games. They aren't anything that hasn't been said before, so I won't bother. The "overworld" isn't something I found fault in at all, though. I thought that part was great.

I have very rarely played an adventure-style game more than once, but I can certainly see myself replaying all of the Zelda games in a few years. (Well, I haven't tried the handheld ones.)

edit: I guess I forgot to talk about the actual topic. It's not like I wasn't planning to buy the new Zelda regardless, but those comments are very nice to hear.
special blend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Aonuma,

No Tutorial Owl, please.
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Aonuma,

Please don't tell me what buttons to push. Please don't put it on the screen as the HUD. Please don't have NPCs tell me what they do. Please don't tell me what to do and please don't pretend it's cute to tell me this.

Sincerely yours,
Persona-sama

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Aonuma,

I KNOW WHAT A FUCKING KEY DOES YOU DON'T NEED TO REMIND ME EVERY TIME I FUCKING PICK ONE UP OKAYSORRY.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear zelda people:

ganon, please. none of this "gandondorf" nonsense. i want the real thing this time around.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're wishing for things, how about some totally original games that are unrelated in any way to existing franchises? As much as I enjoy some of the sequels, some of those creative minds will only be around so long, and I'd like to see what they can really do. Or, as the case may be, what they really want to do.
nICO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Aonuma,

How about we get to see Link tear the heart of out a boss monster and devour it in the bloodthirsty fashion of a rabid pitbull to get more power instead of that ridiculous heart appearing, heart dissapearing nonsense.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
While we're wishing for things, how about some totally original games that are unrelated in any way to existing franchises? As much as I enjoy some of the sequels, some of those creative minds will only be around so long, and I'd like to see what they can really do. Or, as the case may be, what they really want to do.

I think that this is why Kojima agreed to make MGS4. He got his own production studio to do pretty much what he wants with. I am hoping we see something like Rober Evans in his early years. Also the Capcom 5 (aka Studio 4), in hind site, was probably one of the biggest announcements of E3 2002.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:

I need to be really honest. I never finished OoT. I could not enjoy it. It was just not what I was looking for. I really can't put a finger on what it is. I was one of those people who preordered and got a gold cart. I was following the game when it was slated to be the first to use the expansion pack. I even have said before I like it. I don't hate it or anything like that. It's just that it did not captivate me like the previous 2D games. I can say almost the exact same thing about Metroid Prime.

Yeah, I feel almost the same way about Metroid Prime. I liked it, but I couldn't get myself to play it. Meanwhile, I played the GBA Metroids obsessively. I loved OoT, though. It was essentially what I wanted--a 3D Link to the Past with a better battle system.

I kind of liked Wind Waker's seas, and am kind of sorry to see that they won't be going in that kind of direction again. Sure, it occasionally got annoying when you wanted to go to a certain place, and god was the treasure hunting stupid, but it really felt like I was exploring the high seas. Hell, it felt like I was playing Star Control 2 again, just on water. It's the closest experience I can compare it to.
shnozlak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was spared the triforce hunt by my cousin Dave. He finished the hunt and was so pissed at the game that he just dropped it after that, he was just completely fed up. I saw him around thanksgiving at my single grandmother’s house and he brought his cube. I played the final dungeon while he watched; it was pretty fun I must say. As a result of this I feel that the game was fairly pleasant though it didn’t inspire me. Mainly because the game was SO EASY that I just sort of half heartedly ran though the entire thing. The battles were not even that fun.

OOT is still my favorite it just has such a warm atmosphere, it was videogamey as all hell but some how it reminded me of exploring the woods as a little kid growing up in Georgia. Since 98 I’ve played the game through about 3 times and it has be fun every time. I really enjoy the cohesive themes of the dungeons, which is another thing that WW lacked. I’m now (If I get back to it) replaying the master quest with 3 hearts and no hyrule shield. I never did like using the shield, dodging was easy enough, and now with lizifos jumping me every third room the game gets a little more interesting. I love the challenge. I’ve begun to use the hammer as my primary weapon and I’m debating getting the Big Goron sword: I’ve put it off for awhile now….

Actually now that I think about it I might like link’s awakening a bit more. It just had soul.

I loved link to the past until it defeated my timing skills with level 7… where you have to light the torches from the moving platforms. I just couldn’t do it. I beat level 8, I think (it’s been a while) wandered the earth for few days and then slowly moved on.

Anyway, I just hope that the game has depth of atmosphere and quirkly little locations that give me that old summer forest feeling again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
dear zelda people:

ganon, please. none of this "gandondorf" nonsense. i want the real thing this time around.

I've always liked the sound of the trisyllabic "Ganondorf" better than "Ganon". In fact, we could get rid of the "Ganon" all together and just admit that the enemy of all Hyrule is Steven Dorff.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link's awakening is still probably the best. tools hadn't yet become one-dungeon things.

also, it bears mentioning that it has the most mature story of the entire series.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it shows you the karmic perils of cruelty to animals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: