The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recommend a cheap and small hosting/namereg service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: recommend a cheap and small hosting/namereg service Reply with quote

that all i'm going to run on is a resume, print and web work gallery and a very small client list (since i'm kind of short of freelance these days). some kind of built in blogging software would be a plus, but would see only light use. not really that important since i can just register something on wordpress.com anyway, but i'd like to lock things together if possible.

no more than 50 - 100mb of space required, since the gallery won't need more than maybe 10 if i go really insane and build a whole huge cutesy space. would like to pay well less than 100 bucks a year. 50 would be awesome.

any ideas?

unrelated: i should teach myself flash. not to use here, but because it seems like every job on earth wants it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use JetNet. For $4.99 a month you get 1 GB of space, 50 GB file transfer, and included is Fantastico, a compilation utility that allows you to easily install (just click 'Install,' as opposed to the more trying previous method of altering chmod settings and whatnot in notepad) 40 different scripts, one of which I'm sure is a blogging one. Annual rate (they give you two months free) is $49.99.

For domain registering I use 000 Domains, which was once affiliated with Tucows. It's about $13.99 to register, which is more than some places, but it's always gone smoothly with them, so I stay.

While you can register someplace cheaper, the JetNet package is actually very good. I've had no downtime with them since I switched over a few months back, they are very quick to respond to problems, and none of my sites went down when they upgraded the servers.

I have a reseller account with them, so I could actually host this for you. You just register your domain and have it point to my nameserver, and I'll set up a custom package for you that would work towards your package's specs.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Dreamhost (and so do a number of other gaming websites [okay that's mostly my fault too]) which is excellent. It's $10 a month, but I can get you a discount so your first year is like $30 (with $10/month after that). That package gives you more bandwidth than god and more storage space than you will ever need (x1000).

When you sign up you get a free domain registration.

You can do "one-click" painless installs of Wordpress (ask Anna, she did it for Auntie Pixelante)

Flash is easy to learn, the hardest part of it is doing animation/visual effects. The rest is easy.

Also, if you need help with this stuff, let me know since this is what I do and all.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you help me kick Joker.com in the balls? They're totally screwing me on renewing pongism.org.
the drunken samurai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: recommend a cheap and small hosting/namereg service Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
no more than 50 - 100mb of space required, since the gallery won't need more than maybe 10 if i go really insane and build a whole huge cutesy space. would like to pay well less than 100 bucks a year. 50 would be awesome.

get a googlepage,they give you 100MB of space right off the bat,but i guess youre looking for something more professional?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool i will do a comparison of dreamhost with the other frontrunner (i generally crosspost my information requests and am processing some libertoidisms)

my friend hosts dhex.org for me, but ever since i had my phpbb hack this summer my account access has been limited (i only just reset up my forums, which i am keeping patched, etc). i don't mind keeping shit separate. i can do basic sql and php stuff (meaning i can follow directions for things like wordpress, etc) but i will certainly knock on your door if i need a hand with something.

that emma goldman pixel thing was hottt.

now all i need to do is design the fucking thing and get a new job, or at least some more freelance. (i specialize in printer brokering/design/marketing/public relations/direct mail consultation for not for profits, so on the off chance anyone knows anyone who knows anything...let me know)
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I register my domain names with godaddy.com, which is like $8 a year, and the only company I've dealt with, perhaps ever, whose phone support did not suck. (Lost my password, email I signed up with no longer valid, domain expired. I was able to get it back AND be comfortable that any idiot calling pretending to me wouldn't have been able to. This was about a year ago.)

If you're nimble with Unix*, there is no better deal than HCoop, which will give you anything at all you desire** for the cost of hosting divided by the number of members***. I'm paying like $2.50 a month right now, but that's going to go up to $5 soon as we add more servers. Join up and make my dues go down!

* Seriously, no one-click web-based anything here. Not for the faint of heart.
** That runs on Linux and doesn't have security implications for other users.
*** Unless you use really obscene quantities of disk space and bandwidth compared with everyone else, in which case you'd be expected to volunteer a little more in proportion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use namecheap for my name reg.

It's cheap!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big thanks to everyone for their input, and thanks to ryan for your offer. i think i'm going to go with dreamhost - a friend of mine wants to put his video art gallery up on the web, and we've got some other plans, so a huge site might come in handy.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the coupon code "TIMROGERS" and you will get the $97 discount.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fer reals? oh shit that's awesome.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, normally when I refer people they pay me $97, and so I am allowed to give discounts to people to sign up under me and the difference gets taken out of that. Plus I don't see a need to make money off people I know, thus the ridiculous discount.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, you rock. i owe you a case of beer or something.

so far i've made some headway in terms of site building; it is painful, and css is kicking my ass.

but gallery's pretty cool! i'm going to skin it and use it as a portfolio viewer.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you keep up with gallery updates and patches. There have been some known flaws in the past, and while I have no doubt it's pretty locked down now, you can't be too cautious.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i'm on the update mailing list and all that jazz.

it's a lot easier to skin than wordpress, for reals.

http://www.conchobar.org/portfolio/main.php

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, friend!

If you ever change your mind, just drop me a line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: