The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Jaffe drunk at the playboy mansion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Because while being a good designer he has the creative process of a 12 year old? Same reasons as always.

I admit to not playing close attention to the whole clip, but what creative process are you thinking of? Where talks about sitting down with a bunch of books for research material, and a notebook? Or are you talking about the final result?

The final result. If you want to know more you can search these forums for god of war with me as the author. Look for the image of kronos. (though, I’m slightly embarrassed by that post because of the grammar/spelling, but I don't want to go and edit it for time stamp reasons.)

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt's real problem with the game seems to be that there's an inconsistency between the story that Jaffe wants to tell and the character he wants to portray. Kratos is the generic action movie, cares for nobody, anti-hero that's out to avenge his wife's death - yet somehow has no problem doing morally apprehensive things in order to do so. Matt doesn't like the fact that he has no control over whether or not Kratos does evil things, and he feels that by virtue of the game being interactive he should be given the freedom to decide what Kratos' actions will be.

There's no argument against him since he obviously genuinely feels that way, it's just that it doesn't bother most people as much as it bothers him. In fact, these are the reasons Jaffe is a B-Level game designer. His game isn't perfect, his narrative has some holes, and the character he wants to create is pretty much directly at odds against the story that wants to be told. In the end though the game is fun. Taken individually Kratos is a good anti-hero and the way the game tells its story is much more interesting than the story itself - they just don't always gel together 100%. If you can appreciate these things you'll take something worthwhile away from the game.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Matt's real problem with the game seems to be that there's an inconsistency between the story that Jaffe wants to tell and the character he wants to portray. Kratos is the generic action movie, cares for nobody, anti-hero that's out to avenge his wife's death - yet somehow has no problem doing morally apprehensive things in order to do so. Matt doesn't like the fact that he has no control over whether or not Kratos does evil things, and he feels that by virtue of the game being interactive he should be given the freedom to decide what Kratos' actions will be.

You missed one important thing, He is the cares-for-nobody war hardened anti-hero who wants to repent for his wrongs because of the loss of his wife/son. Yet he doesn’t do anything to indicate this outside of the story line, and even frequently does things to indicate the exact opposite within the story line.

This isn’t a “I’m a bad ass, I don’t care” situation, this is a “I want to be good, but I will do the worst thing in every situation possible.” On top of that, the game rewards you more the less humane you are. The overall ending of the game rewards him for everything he has done wrong, driving home the point that your actions are insignificant to the outcome so you may as well just have as much fun as you want while doing the worst things. The game would have been much better off just following Rygar's example, or being almost entirely absent of a story.

The story was so offensive to me that I dispise the game no matter how great it played (and it is one of the best controling/playing games on the PS2). I was offended to the point of trading it into EBgames for store credit (the only game I have done this with in the past 3 years).

Oh, yeah, sex mini-game.

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You missed one important thing, He is the cares-for-nobody war hardened anti-hero who wants to repent for his wrongs because of the loss of his wife/son. Yet he doesn’t do anything to indicate this outside of the story line, and even frequently does things to indicate the exact opposite within the story line.

This isn’t a “I’m a bad ass, I don’t care” situation, this is a “I want to be good, but I will do the worst thing in every situation possible.” On top of that, the game rewards you more the less humane you are. The overall ending of the game rewards him for everything he has done wrong, driving home the point that your actions are insignificant to the outcome so you may as well just have as much fun as you want while doing the worst things. The game would have been much better off just following Rygar's example, or being almost entirely absent of a story.

See this didn't bother me because it's supposed to be a greek myth, and greek myths themselves are often full of inconsistencies like that. "redeeming" yourself in greek mythology has more to do with pleasing the gods than anything else, and whoever gets in the way of that is just a sacrifice.

whatever, to each his own. I liked god of war but once I beat it I had no desire to play through again.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
out to avenge his wife's death - yet somehow has no problem doing morally apprehensive things in order to do so.

You missed one important thing

So what did I miss?

Anyway, the point is that it's something that doesn't really bother many people, but it's clearly a problem with the game. That's why Jaffe's a B-Level game designer. He doesn't make perfect games. That said, he does a better job than 90% of the other people out there (note that 90% is more of a real statistic in that if you pull out 10 random games out of the thousands that get released every year, God of War and Twisted Metal are likely to be better than those games), and that's a good reason to give him some props.

That, and he's pretty hilarious when he talks shit about people.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
See this didn't bother me because it's supposed to be a greek myth, and greek myths themselves are often full of inconsistencies like that. "redeeming" yourself in greek mythology has more to do with pleasing the gods than anything else, and whoever gets in the way of that is just a sacrifice.

I studied Roman/Greek mythology for 5 years. Usually the inconsistencies come from different stories, each story itself is consistant. And I would like to see which story you refer to where someone has to redeem themselves and uses others as sacrafices who get in the way (particually innocent civilians).

EDIT: I'm not out to win this argument, I've had it before dozens of times. He can design mechanics, but he can't write for shit and he has the maturity of a 12 year-old. Ignore my moral inclinations or not, that statement is true.

dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with shaper on this one. Kratos' name is mispronounced in the game and it's an early indication of the lack of respect that Jaffe had for the history and body of art that "inspired' him. Jaffe wrote a story on his own and slapped an ancient Greek theme on later with no respect for the sources.

Maybe I'd forgive the styling if the gameplay were great but it's mash mash mash (on hard it's mash mash dodge mash). An example of production making the game for certain people.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
He can design mechanics, but he can't write for shit and he has the maturity of a 12 year-old.

Couldn't this also be said about Miyamoto? Let's bring this back to the GoW/Mario 64 debate.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how is Mario morally offensive in the slightest? Also, the story in Mario is far more subdued and the narrative is more highly discussed. GoW put's an emphasis on story over narrative which is the main mistake.

Aside from the stereotyping

SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario is not a good game because of either the story or the narrative or any of that shit. The princess might as well be a dead wife, might as well be a bag of crap. So that's story, fine. Let's talk about narrative: there are only so many ways you can say, "Mario jumped from this to that" before the narrative dies down. Miyamoto's games are good simply because they're fun to play and have great pacing. Same with GoW. That some of the other elements aren't up to snuff is fine when you can easily accept what they are doing well.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I think he's referring to the bit where Mario boinks two women at the same time.

Wait, that angry guy in God of War gets in a threesome?

Maybe I need to give it another shot.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The princess might as well be a dead wife

I've probably been listening to the Decemberists too much, but this would make an interesting Mario game.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given thatI am not a game designer or anything, I would love to write a story about the mario games being the constructed dreams of a man who is lusting after his dead wife. Ooo, even more fun, make it James from SH2. Yeah boy!

Anyhow, I am with Shaper on this argument. Nearly every piece I read about GoW talked about how much it loved Greek mythology, yet it clearly had no respect for it at all. As a stroy, then, it really wants us to have sympathy for Kratos (the whole "oh my wife and kid died, I have angst") except that he did it, and he really doesn't even want them back, he just wants to forget about it. It is like he is on a quest for redemption, ut his definition of redemption is amnesia, and he goes about it by killing everything he can, just because he can (completely ignoring that htis was the course of action that led to his family dying in the first place).

Oh, and I really really hated the gameplay on top of that. Mash Mash dodge Mash, here, climb these polls with our poorly designed climbing mechanic, don't touch the sides of the blades (those are the parts that really hurt, kids), and whatver you do, don't ever actually get to fight a boss. I mean, come on, don't you want to play a mario party mini-game instead of actually getting to use your fighting ability on a boss? Yeah, apparently the designers of GoW thought so.

I did like some Twisted Metal, though, so I give Jaffe that.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

I've probably been listening to the Decemberists too much, but this would make an interesting Mario game.

SotC with more platforming?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that we're even having this discussion shows that God of War did something right. Most games don't have moral implications to consider - most don't have stories that get deep enough for anyone to bitch about they butcher mythology. It's an achievement that these are the things we're complaining about rather than a sticky square button, lack of HD support, and automated menu selections. These things are ambitious, probably beyond Jaffe's grasp, but it's respectable that he's willing to try.

There's a scene where you've got to offer a sacrifice to the gods to get a door open. This scene requires you to push a guy in a cage over to a burning pit in order to make that sacrifice. This could have easily been a block that your character is pushing to a switch - in fact in Zelda this scene actually is a block that you push over a switch - but God of War takes this a step further by making the block and switch into a moral dilemma for the player. By taking this step, the game is going further than most, asking questions that most games aren't willing to ask. Whether you agree or not with how the game requires you to answer those questions, you've got to at least respect it for being willing to ask them.

The fact that everyone's pumped about the possibility of adding dead wives to old games, jokingly or not, implies that God of War did something right.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing about that scene, and all I remember is frat boys saying how "awesome" it was and how big a "faggot" the sacrifice was for crying.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I actually think that is one of the more fitting things in the story. The gods told him he had to do that.

Don't go around giving people kudos for accidentally pissing people off when all he was trying to do was "something cool."

SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Don't go around giving people kudos for accidentally pissing people off when all he was trying to do was "something cool."

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that intention was a necessary component of art.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

SotC with more platforming?

Note; I've never played God of War and probably never will.

I'm thinking the original Super Mario Bros but played out like this:

Play through world 1-1 to 1-4, "Princess is in another castle".

Play through world 2-3 to 2-4, "Princess is in another castle".

Play through world 3-4, "Princess is in another castle".

Play through world 4-1 to 4-4 but in the middle of 4-4, it becomes 1-4 again. "Princess is in another castle"

Play through world 8-1 to 8-4 and at the end you start at the beginning of 1-4, at the end of that you just fight Koopa four times in a row, between each "Princess is in another castle"

Ending: Mario walks forward to find the princess's grave. It's clear she died some time ago and he keeps working his way through the levels over and over again to punish himself for failing to save her the first time.
dongle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I think the fact that we're even having this discussion shows that God of War did something right. Most games don't have moral implications to consider - most don't have stories that get deep enough for anyone to bitch about they butcher mythology. It's an achievement that these are the things we're complaining about rather than a sticky square button, lack of HD support, and automated menu selections. These things are ambitious, probably beyond Jaffe's grasp, but it's respectable that he's willing to try.

There's a scene where you've got to offer a sacrifice to the gods to get a door open. This scene requires you to push a guy in a cage over to a burning pit in order to make that sacrifice. This could have easily been a block that your character is pushing to a switch - in fact in Zelda this scene actually is a block that you push over a switch - but God of War takes this a step further by making the block and switch into a moral dilemma for the player. By taking this step, the game is going further than most, asking questions that most games aren't willing to ask. Whether you agree or not with how the game requires you to answer those questions, you've got to at least respect it for being willing to ask them.

The fact that everyone's pumped about the possibility of adding dead wives to old games, jokingly or not, implies that God of War did something right.

-Wes

What's the choice? If you don't pull the switch the game doesn't continue. It's no more a choice than (mgs3 spoiler) the end of mgs3. What are we asking ourselves? If we're willing to quit the game because we find something that the designers are forcing us to do is abhorrent? The act doesn't have any psychological effect on Kratos, either.

If I made a game that presents a pregnant woman and the only control is the spacebar and it makes the character perform a coat-hanger abortion, that's not presenting a moral dilemma or exploring anything. It's vulgar. And that's the level of 'moral implications' we're dealing with in God of War.

The reason we're getting pissed off at GoW butchering mythology instead of, oh, Kid Icarus, is that God of War models itself after the epics, trying to say something about the human condition. Instead it's facile and offensive.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Whether you agree or not with how the game requires you to answer those questions, you've got to at least respect it for being willing to ask them.

dongle wrote:
What's the choice? If you don't pull the switch the game doesn't continue. It's no more a choice than (mgs3 spoiler) the end of mgs3. What are we asking ourselves? If we're willing to quit the game because we find something that the designers are forcing us to do is abhorrent? The act doesn't have any psychological effect on Kratos, either.

I tried to make it clear that the game required you to answer the questions in morally reprehensible ways and, yeah, that kinda sucks, because it could have had this type of thing, but that these block and buttons puzzles are actually part of the characterization/storytelling is better than just having blocks and buttons. That said, I've never really understood people's complaints about how the game makes you be evil. There aren't any illusions of nonlinearity in either the game or its storytelling, so why do people think they should be able to tell the story their own way?

dongle wrote:
The reason we're getting pissed off at GoW butchering mythology instead of, oh, Kid Icarus, is that God of War models itself after the epics, trying to say something about the human condition. Instead it's facile and offensive.

Well the butchering mythology thing I really can't argue with because it never bothered me and I can't understand why it would bother anyone else either. It never bothered me in Kid Icarus, Rygar, Gladius, Castlevania, or any other mythological games, but I can understand why this would bother someone who's a stickler for mythology.

I think I need to reiterate that I don't think God of War is anything near a perfect game. I'm just saying I'd rather have someone try to tackle something a bit more ambitious and fail slightly than see the same old blocks and buttons with designers that are afraid they won't do their subject matter justice.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I tried to make it clear that the game required you to answer the questions in morally reprehensible ways and, yeah, that kinda sucks, because it could have had this type of thing, but that these block and buttons puzzles are actually part of the characterization/storytelling is better than just having blocks and buttons. That said, I've never really understood people's complaints about how the game makes you be evil. There aren't any illusions of nonlinearity in either the game or its storytelling, so why do people think they should be able to tell the story their own way?

I'm not saying we should be able to tell it our way, but the nonlinearity in this case makes me think that it's another "kratos is a hard guy" posturing scene and also fails to differentiate itself from any other game where the player must do morally reprehensible things to progress. There are plenty of those.

But I see your point about making the old block pushing puzzle relevant within the game world and you're right, that is good design.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Well the butchering mythology thing I really can't argue with because it never bothered me and I can't understand why it would bother anyone else either.

You know how you get pissed off when "gamers" are misrepresented in news and films? Or how games themselves are mis-represented in news/film? Yeah, same thing, but with mythology.

And Castlevania does more to butcher fiction than Mythology.

Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the objection is that God of War was the reviewer's game of the year, and so held up as a great example of the medium. But, it seems to juvenile in many respects. (Gratuitous sex/ tits and violence.)
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is probably why it was so popular.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
(Gratuitous sex/ tits and violence.)

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Which is probably why it was so popular.

Dracko wrote:
I keep hearing about that scene, and all I remember is frat boys saying how "awesome" it was and how big a "faggot" the sacrifice was for crying.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does not liking the tits in GoW make me a faggot?

How about when every time I see the character design I immediately get the image of a big, sweaty gland?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
How about when every time I see the character design I immediately get the image of a big, sweaty gland?

=

?

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
For me the objection is that God of War was the reviewer's game of the year, and so held up as a great example of the medium. But, it seems to juvenile in many respects. (Gratuitous sex/ tits and violence.)

I'm totally down with this response. But if I remember correctly, its only real competition that year was Resident Evil 4, which is game about shooting a bunch of people cursing at you in Spanish. Personally, my nod goes to Resident Evil, but they're both pretty great. (MGS3 may have also been released that year, in which case it's a tossup).

ALSO:

This image is amazing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, Devil May Cry 3 was also 2005. It's that game that Joe and I keep telling you is the proper re-working of the brawler. =P
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Dude, Devil May Cry 3 was also 2005. It's that game that Joe and I keep telling you is the proper re-working of the brawler. =P

Yeah, I love having to figure out what pattern to use on a boss and then perfect that pattern and show that I perfected it by having to spend 20 minutes whittling down a boss's life bar, making sure I don't deviate from the pattern because doing so will mean getting instantly killed and having to do the whole thing over again including the half hour of level leading up to him.

Sorry, I'm not a masochist, I like my games to be fun.

-Wes
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulletpoints that Toups gave got me all excited, but in the end, the vid was simply "eh". Still, I like Jaffe, don't know why. Seems like a cool dude, and I guess I can understand where the guy comes from. In the end, I don't think he's nearly brilliant as everyone says he is, but he knows it, and plays it off rather well.

Also, the interviewer was quite poor, and way too intent on getting Jaffe to talk shit about the competition. He could have just worded things a bit differently and come off much better. The vid, more than anything, really shows how piss poor the news side of things often is.

And yeah... Sony PR people can be pretty damn annoying sometimes.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
the interviewer was quite poor

He works for GameTrailers, what was to be expected?

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
antitype

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
And yeah... Sony PR people can be pretty damn annoying sometimes.

The PR guy looked (and sounded ("CLASSIC BATTLERAMA")) a lot more drunk than Jaffe. I don't know, I may or may not ever play God of War and it doesn't particularly hold any appeal with me, but Jaffe seems like a pretty funny, unpretentious, "healthy enough ego" and yet earthbound kind of guy here. I almost want to play his game just because he seems so authentic and likeable (though I still don't find his creative thought process all that exciting).

Also, SuperWes, Shadow of the Colossus was '05, too, remember? (Maybe you're not thinking of it as "real competition" for GoW...?) MGS3 was '04, with Subsistence being early '06.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dongle wrote:

Yeah, I love having to figure out what pattern to use on a boss and then perfect that pattern and show that I perfected it by having to spend 20 minutes whittling down a boss's life bar, making sure I don't deviate from the pattern because doing so will mean getting instantly killed and having to do the whole thing over again including the half hour of level leading up to him.

Sorry, I'm not a masochist, I like my games to be fun.

-Wes

You can interrupt attacks and mess with boss patterns sometimes. Also, 20 minutes? You aren't doing things correctly. Learn to create free-form combos with the weapon quick-swap. You can extend the boss stun time quite a bit just by keeping your combo going. Don't try to work your way around the game system. Bend it to your will. Such is the tao of DMC3.

Also, play Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. The stupid restart the level if you die thing was something added on by Capcom of America, for reasons that are absolutely unknown to me. The game is meant to allow you to continue from the nearest golden statue. There is usually one right outisde every boss' lair!

Don't fault a game because you don't know how to play it. Now, if you want to criticize the game for requiring you to learn everything about it so you can really enjoy it, go right ahead. That's a perfectly valid criticism.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Don't fault a game because you don't know how to play it. Now, if you want to criticize the game for requiring you to learn everything about it so you can really enjoy it, go right ahead. That's a perfectly valid criticism.

The game has a lot of very good systems, it's just balanced in a way that makes it not very much fun unless you're extremely good at it. I bought the special edition and I must admit that I like it much more than the regular version, but the fact remains that the game is pretty much broken unless you're willing to put forth the effort to become extremely skilled at it.

There's this guy at my work who plays one game at a time and refuses to move on until he's finished the game he's currently playing. He doesn't play many games, but he gets a lot out of the ones he does play. This man took an entire year to play all the way through Dark Cloud 2 just because that's his way of doing things. As a joke I lent him the original edition of Devil May Cry 3 and he came back a week later, threw it back in my bag, and admitted defeat as a broken man. He had spent almost 8 consecutive hours trying to defeat Cerberus. 8 hours! On the first boss! I was impressed. I spent maybe 3 max before I gave up and waited for the Special Edition.

It's the sign of a broken game that it requires that much effort to enjoy it. I'm sure it's great for people willing to put in the effort, but to say a game that punishes a majority of the people who play it is better than a game that might morally offend a small few is pretty ludicrous. It may do a lot of things better, but accessibility and versatility are more important than having a good fighting engine. The first Devil May Cry was great though!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Joe wrote:

The game has a lot of very good systems, it's just balanced in a way that makes it not very much fun unless you're extremely good at it. I bought the special edition and I must admit that I like it much more than the regular version, but the fact remains that the game is pretty much broken unless you're willing to put forth the effort to become extremely skilled at it.

There's this guy at my work who plays one game at a time and refuses to move on until he's finished the game he's currently playing. He doesn't play many games, but he gets a lot out of the ones he does play. This man took an entire year to play all the way through Dark Cloud 2 just because that's his way of doing things. As a joke I lent him the original edition of Devil May Cry 3 and he came back a week later, threw it back in my bag, and admitted defeat as a broken man. He had spent almost 8 consecutive hours trying to defeat Cerberus. 8 hours! On the first boss! I was impressed. I spent maybe 3 max before I gave up and waited for the Special Edition.

It's the sign of a broken game that it requires that much effort to enjoy it. I'm sure it's great for people willing to put in the effort, but to say a game that punishes a majority of the people who play it is better than a game that might morally offend a small few is pretty ludicrous. It may do a lot of things better, but accessibility and versatility are more important than having a good fighting engine. The first Devil May Cry was great though!

-Wes

I think we are looking for different things in our games. I don't look for accessibility in a brawler, nor do I criticize God of War for being morally offensive or whatever. I tackle a game like DMC3 with a different mentality than say, Shadow of the Colossus or Final Fantasy XII. It's the same part of me that enjoys 2D fighters, shootemups, and IIDX. I still think faulting the game because you don't want to learn it is a bad criticism. It's like saying Splinter Cell is a bad game because you can't run-and-gun in it. You don't have to like the game, but don't call it "broken" if it's offering something you aren't looking for.

Also, I've never criticized God of War for it's subject matter. I just find it boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: