The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the music in the new smash bros brawl trailer is amazing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grown hopelessly attached to playing as Dr. Mario. His labcoat is my favorite move in the game.

I will be very disappointed if the new stages aren't as good as the ones from Melee, all but two of which--everybody try to guess which two I can't stand!--are the greatest things ever.

The music from Melee is maybe the best part of the game. Particularly the alternate music from the Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 2 boards. And the Kirby "Fountain of Dreams" music makes me gasp every time. And Brinstar.

Dess, I want you to send your Olimar moves to Sakurai.

I would love to see an Animal Crossing stage filled with random furniture. And Tom Nook would be a great secret character.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, tying in the original theme of "music" with "Dig Dug"....
an old music teacher of mine claimed that his friend had made a mint by composing the music to the game Dig Dug, royalties up the wazoo. Is this at all plausible?
ee_emm_ecks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
ee_emm_ecks wrote:
km wrote:
Well, how much more do they have to do to cater to the "competetive" audience?

I'm asking here, I don't play these sort of things in any real capacity!

They don't have to do a damn thing, which is why I'm saying it's nice that it looks like they might be. The "serious" players made Melee into something someone might want to play for more than a few months with some friends, and while how they choose to play the game seems lame, or bitchy, or whatever, it still has its merits if I understand correctly.

This won't be too bad as long as they don't base the game around bullshit like dash cancelling.

Anyway the chaotic aspect of smash bros. is the best part, as well as how accessible it is to new people. As long as those two pieces are in place I'm fine with whatever changes they make.

I agree completely, and there's no reason the game couldn't be geared toward both styles.

Last edited by ee_emm_ecks on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 am; edited 2 times in total
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
The Ice Climbers are fun to play as. Sometimes, for instance, you have to make a decision to throw yourself off the stage on purpose if you've lost your partner. Usually, it's best to avoid the suicide, but sometimes you really need to get some kills quickly--if you're already losing and time is almost up, for instance.

No way! Suiciding yourself off the edge in a Time Battle is Lame City, USA. It robs the other players of the opportunity to score points by killing you, and in all likelihood they've already inflicted some damage on you, so to steal that opportunity isn't fair.

You also have to consider that once you've died, you restart again on 0% damage (obviously) so not only do they not score any points on your death, but they have to inflict that damage to you again, and considering they've probably taken a bit of damage from fighting you the first time around, puts them at a severe disadvantage to you, who will then probably kill them and top their score (especially in a really close game).

This is even worse if you have a significant lead, as it just makes life harder for the other players, who see the margin between you decreasing, but by less than if they'd killed you themselves.

Suiciding in Time Battles is the equivalent of running away from fights in Stock Battles and coming back to fight when everyone else is dead or dying. It's not fair on the other players. I understand this needs to be balanced out with the fact that without the computer-controlled half of the Ice Climbers, their effectiveness is much reduced but to suicide just to get that back isn't fair on the other players. You should go out swinging.

P.S. My hatred of the Ice Climbers is just a personal dislike! I don't have any logical basis for it. I'm just saying.

P.P.S. I tell a lie, I do know someone who admits to playing Ice Climbers. I played him in a tournament and he was an avoid-whore in stock battles. I had to pause the game and ask him to cut it the fuck out. At one stage he was on 3 lives, 0 damage, on the the other side of the stage when the rest of us were heavily damaged and on one life, duking it out on the other.Even with that, I managed to get him down to 1 life and on 156% damage before he was able to kill me.

Good times.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
The music from Melee is maybe the best part of the game.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
It robs the other players of the opportunity to score points by killing you, and in all likelihood they've already inflicted some damage on you, so to steal that opportunity isn't fair.

It's interesting that you state the entire reason for suiciding, then say "it isn't fair" as if it matters. How isn't it fair for the other players if you purposefully lose a point in order to prevent them from gaining? It's a risk analysis. Either you can make back the gain from suiciding in time or you don't. There's nothing fair or unfair about it. Same thing with staying out of the thick of things in a big stock game and then come back in the end to pick off the stragglers. If the other players are unable to figure out your strategy and kick your ass, then they probably deserve to lose, and if not, then what's wrong with using the strategy if you're interested in winning?
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends if you define "fair" as "everyone is free to play as dirty as they want" or not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it dirty?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of The Smash Bros. Drinking Game which my ex-roommate and some other folks made up. It is to be played with four people or more and a bottle of Southern Comfort. The rules are:

1. Winner of the match doesn't drink.
2. Second and third place take one shot.
3. Fourth takes two shots.
4. If you at any time intentionally throw yourself off to be a jackass, you automatically lose and take two shots.
5. A tie results in everyone drinking.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you grab someone with DK and leap off the side?
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

this says something profound, i'm pretty sure.

Actually, the japanese version had the same cheesecake endings as the US version, but were only obtainable by playing hard mode. The other endings you mentioned were seen if finished on normal difficulty. I assume they got added during the extra few months the JP version had in development. If you were trying to suggest that the Japanese market panders less shamelessly than the US one, I'm not sure where you're coming from!

It's been a while since I traveled in the circles who could answer these things authoritively, but I think to promote Fusion, Nintendo of Japan released a comic telling some of Samus' backstory online. I don't think that this backstory was really canon until the scenes in Zero Mission confirmed her early years as being with the Chozo (though I do believe Prime 1, released with Fusion, implied that the Chozo trained Samus?).

According to what one would guess is the current canon, Samus' human parents died in a space pirate attack headed by Ridley. The Chozo were nearby, and adopted her, giving her Chozo DNA and training her as a warrior. Mother Brain was originally not evil, but actually designed by the Chozo (!) but the automation of Zebes lead to further Chozo decline. Whether Mother Brain was captured by the space pirates, or the other way around, is unknown.

I have the translated manga. Maybe I could email it to everyone, if there's enough interest? I tried sending it to Shaper once, but I don't think it got through. At the time, gmail was weird about files over 10 megs.

Edit of a Man Who Cares Too Much(?): From the commercials, the Japanese are actually guilty of oversexualizing Samus, and not Americans. Look:

Japanese Zero Mission Commercial

American Zero Mission Commercial

To be fair, Metroid has always been a very American series. Using the cheesecake factor (with a dark-haired Samus, which I've already said I prefered ^_^) is somewhat understandable given that the series isn't as popular over there. Not totally right, and I personally hate how they make her seem like the standard sci-fi Weak Female With No Chance (where the US emphasizes her athletic ability and strength) but somewhat understandable.

Fusion is the better game, in any case. Totally underappreciated, in my opinion.

Last edited by TOLLMASTER on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
The Ice Climbers are fun to play as. Sometimes, for instance, you have to make a decision to throw yourself off the stage on purpose if you've lost your partner. Usually, it's best to avoid the suicide, but sometimes you really need to get some kills quickly--if you're already losing and time is almost up, for instance.

No way! Suiciding yourself off the edge in a Time Battle is Lame City, USA. It robs the other players of the opportunity to score points by killing you, and in all likelihood they've already inflicted some damage on you, so to steal that opportunity isn't fair.

You also have to consider that once you've died, you restart again on 0% damage (obviously) so not only do they not score any points on your death, but they have to inflict that damage to you again, and considering they've probably taken a bit of damage from fighting you the first time around, puts them at a severe disadvantage to you, who will then probably kill them and top their score (especially in a really close game).

This is even worse if you have a significant lead, as it just makes life harder for the other players, who see the margin between you decreasing, but by less than if they'd killed you themselves.

Suiciding in Time Battles is the equivalent of running away from fights in Stock Battles and coming back to fight when everyone else is dead or dying. It's not fair on the other players. I understand this needs to be balanced out with the fact that without the computer-controlled half of the Ice Climbers, their effectiveness is much reduced but to suicide just to get that back isn't fair on the other players. You should go out swinging.

There's an option to set suicides as taking away 2 kills, instead of just 1. I never knew what that option was there for, but now I do! Thanks.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I have the translated manga. Maybe I could email it to everyone, if there's enough interest?

i'd like to see it.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
This reminds me of The Smash Bros. Drinking Game which my ex-roommate and some other folks made up. It is to be played with four people or more and a bottle of Southern Comfort. The rules are:

1. Winner of the match doesn't drink.
2. Second and third place take one shot.
3. Fourth takes two shots.
4. If you at any time intentionally throw yourself off to be a jackass, you automatically lose and take two shots.
5. A tie results in everyone drinking.

This sounds quite awesome.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups, I challenge you to drinking! (Smash Bros. Melee optional, but just so you know I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass.)
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
How isn't it fair for the other players if you purposefully lose a point in order to prevent them from gaining? It's a risk analysis. Either you can make back the gain from suiciding in time or you don't. There's nothing fair or unfair about it. Same thing with staying out of the thick of things in a big stock game and then come back in the end to pick off the stragglers. If the other players are unable to figure out your strategy and kick your ass, then they probably deserve to lose, and if not, then what's wrong with using the strategy if you're interested in winning?

I think you answered your own question. If you're interested in winning, then really, there's nothing that isn't fair.

I would also add that you can't just "figure out someone's strategy" when that "strategy" is suicide. What are you going to do, grab them and haul them back on stage? You can't combat that kind of jerkish approach. To a certain extent you can nullify avoid-whores and their attempts to run away from combat, but calling that, or indeed suiciding, a "strategy" gives them a connotation of tactical complexity that I would strongly disagree with. It's not something that requires skill. It's not something that adds anything to the game. It is, as you suggest, used by people that want to win, not that want to have a good time, and that goes against everything Smash Bros. should be about, to my mind.

JasonMoses wrote:
What happens when you grab someone with DK and leap off the side?

High fives.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the Metroid back story stuff. You know that is unlocked when you link up fusion and zero mission right?

Anyways, I kind of hate Zero Mission, but we've already discussed this in another thread. The Zero Mission Suit in SSB is just kind of ... well, it's obviously designed to appeal to young males.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. If that were true, they could have done it a lot more - well, voluptuously.

I think I remember reading that the player can't choose Zero Suit Samus, and has to play as regular Samus for a short period before busting out of her armour. Can't say for certain, but I seem to remember Sakurai saying something to that effect.

EDIT:

Quote:
This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!

Naturally, Zero Suit Samus loses power and stamina, so she should fight using the speed she gains instead.
Also, her gun transforms and can be used as a whip. Of the two, one might consider the whip to be her main weapon.

And don't worry—you'll still be able to play as standard Samus, too.

http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/chara3/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how often the armor breakdown will occur, if it will be a regular or special kind of event, gameplay-wise.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
The Zero Mission Suit in SSB is just kind of ... well, it's obviously designed to appeal to young males.

I dunno. I think Zero Suit Samus looks like kind of a nerd. She's got a peanut-shaped head and sticky-out ears, and I much prefer her to the Sunset Beach cast-off you see at the end of Metroid Prime, or this gonk:

The Zero-suit may be skintight, but I still think it's more appropriate than in the previous games where she removes her suit to reveal a leotard or a bikini which is just daft.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
The Zero Mission Suit in SSB is just kind of ... well, it's obviously designed to appeal to young males.

The Zero-suit may be skintight, but I still think it's more appropriate than in the previous games where she removes her suit to reveal a leotard or a bikini which is just daft.

Yeah, I think you're slicing it pretty thin to make the distinction though. I just sort of rolled my eyes when I first saw the 'new' Samus. There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of over-sexualization between a bikini and a skin tight vinyl suit, really.

For the record, I'll miss Ice Climbers if they're really not in this time. Or they could always include the little guy from Balloon Fight instead!
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
How isn't it fair for the other players if you purposefully lose a point in order to prevent them from gaining? It's a risk analysis. Either you can make back the gain from suiciding in time or you don't. There's nothing fair or unfair about it. Same thing with staying out of the thick of things in a big stock game and then come back in the end to pick off the stragglers. If the other players are unable to figure out your strategy and kick your ass, then they probably deserve to lose, and if not, then what's wrong with using the strategy if you're interested in winning?

I think you answered your own question. If you're interested in winning, then really, there's nothing that isn't fair.

This maneuver is also very very easy to avoid if you can see it coming. Moreso in Melee because throws are much less overpowered in that game.
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of over-sexualization between a bikini and a skin tight vinyl suit, really.

this is very true. i was originally thinking of going back into my original post and putting a bit more emphasis on this.

there's always been that element to Samus, but it usually wasn't in game too much. even though seeing Samus in a bikini was supposed to be a kind of "reward," it was almost kind of harmless due to the nature of the hardware that the game was made for. i think Fusion (moreso Zero Mission), in particular, though, is where we started seeing very obvious attention being given to Samus' sex.

the main example that comes to mind for me is one of the few short hand-drawn cutscenes that appears right before you do the stealth aspect of Zero Mission. ass shot + Metroid = confusing.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact still remains that she has a peanut-shaped head and sticky-out ears. If you look at the face, the designers haven't gone out of their way to create a sexy woman.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'd object to the overt sexualization of Samus; on the other hand this is Smash Bros so it's not really meant to be taken seriously. Yeah she's wearing a skintight suit and she's got a nice ass but at least they aren't dressing her up in a maid outfit and giving her moves which make for convenient panty shots. It's still a far cry from DOA, but if anything it's appropriate for this series that they cheesecake things up a little bit. Now if they start doing that in the main series I'll start complaining.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
This maneuver is also very very easy to avoid if you can see it coming. Moreso in Melee because throws are much less overpowered in that game.

I'm not sure what you mean - because throws are much less overpowered (which they seriously are, you're right, Mario's backwards throw in the original == instant win button) you can somehow stop people from suiciding like jerks?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean - because throws are much less overpowered (which they seriously are, you're right, Mario's backwards throw in the original == instant win button) you can somehow stop people from suiciding like jerks?

They're much easier to escape from in melee. Unless you're playing as a character who has absolutely no ups (like yoshi) then you can usually be free of his grasp with plenty of time to get back on solid ground.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you mean DK's throws! I thought you meant suiciding people in general, which is what Jason and I were talking about earlier.

But yes, you're right. DK's grab is a lot easier to get out of. His backwards throw is still a world of hurt for any enemy above 50% damage, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samus: "Whoa! That's a woman under there!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's definitely two ways to read that sentence.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean punctuation-wise? I could remove the quotes...
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she telling someone or is she just surprised at herself?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Samus: "Whoa! That's a woman under there!"

I thought it was pretty cool that if you get hit in Metroid Prime hard enough you can see Samus' reflection of her wincing in pain on her visor.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Harveyjames wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Yeah, I think you're slicing it pretty thin to make the distinction though. I just sort of rolled my eyes when I first saw the 'new' Samus. There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of over-sexualization between a bikini and a skin tight vinyl suit, really.

I think everyone should rewatch the way that she is introduced in that E3 SSB video.

Also, stare at this image. There is something terribly wrong with her breast, and I can't put my finger on it. I mean, it's obviously moved/positioned/enlarged for sexual purposes, but... it creeps me the hell out:

EDIT: also, where's her other breast?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really creepy and I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samazons?
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She only saved up enough for the left implant.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was actually one of the images (alongside samus in full armor, for contrast) that i sent along with my escapist article. they ended up using an imaginary controller cord wrapped around stock photography of someone's hips or something, though.

it's the shape of her breast that's so weird. i mean, i'm pretty sure most videogame artists really don't understand what women look like? and draw breasts as if they're seperate entities from the rest of the body, attached via possibly staples or something?

perhaps "jiggle physics" routines require the breast and the body to be autonomous of one another!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you mean DK's throws! I thought you meant suiciding people in general, which is what Jason and I were talking about earlier.

But yes, you're right. DK's grab is a lot easier to get out of. His backwards throw is still a world of hurt for any enemy above 50% damage, though.

I thought that was what "suiciding" referred to? Otherwise I don't believe to have encountered this phenomenon.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only see it on time battles, really. I mostly play stock so we like being alive for as long as possible. In a Timed Battle it can sometimes be easier to just off yourself and come in with a fresh lifebar and just ream the already tenderized competition.

Still, nobody has found a good reason to use it on stock mode...unless its with the DK Carry or Kirby Inhale.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
You only see it on time battles, really. I mostly play stock so we like being alive for as long as possible. In a Timed Battle it can sometimes be easier to just off yourself and come in with a fresh lifebar and just ream the already tenderized competition.

Still, nobody has found a good reason to use it on stock mode...unless its with the DK Carry or Kirby Inhale.

Hmm, do they have stock modes w/ points, or is stock mode always last one standing?

It seems like if stock measured kills/defeats the same way timed mode did, that would eliminate the "you guys fight it out, I'll be over here issue" to a certain degree.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
perhaps "jiggle physics" routines require the breast and the body to be autonomous of one another!

Ready 2 Rumble boxing for the Dreamcast certainly had this. Those things wouldn't stop moving.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
It seems like if stock measured kills/defeats the same way timed mode did, that would eliminate the "you guys fight it out, I'll be over here issue" to a certain degree.

Far as I know, the rule of stock battle has always been "last one standing".

Though, if 2 of us are getting in each others faces while the other is doing nothing and still has a full stock of lives, we declare a temporary truce and proceed to eliminate the vulture. Then again we gang up on anyone who has more than a 2 life lead.

Things generally stay competitive because nobody wants to be double or triple teamed. It's amazing how fast you can knock out a player when you coordinate with one another.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

Far as I know, the rule of stock battle has always been "last one standing".

Though, if 2 of us are getting in each others faces while the other is doing nothing and still has a full stock of lives, we declare a temporary truce and proceed to eliminate the vulture. Then again we gang up on anyone who has more than a 2 life lead.

Things generally stay competitive because nobody wants to be double or triple teamed. It's amazing how fast you can knock out a player when you coordinate with one another.

Heh, human-driven "rubberband" mechanic.

I still don't see why stock should always have to be last one standing.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:

Ah well. I only play it on stock. There you go.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally just try to end up with the most damage given or most kills when I look at my stats at the end, regardless of the mode. It keeps me honest, at least.
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about Samus' weird look in the new SSB:

when i watched the trailer at the beginning of this thread, i couldn't help but feel that none of the characters looked like they had any life to them. there were more like moving dolls; something you'd see at Disney World (animatronic and whatnot). i'm under the impression that the first game was actually going for that motif, but i'm not really sure about the newer ones.

the breast thing, though

i have no real explanation for that.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I still don't see why stock should always have to be last one standing.

Technically it is possible, though nobody I know uses it, to set a time limit for stock battles. It's under the advanced options when setting up a custom game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This won't be too bad as long as they don't base the game around bullshit like dash cancelling.

Bullshit? I donno. I was never that pro but I got pretty darn close. It sounds like you're calling it bullshit because you can't counter it. Yes, it is an unintentional 'feature' of the game. But the amazing part is that it's still consistent and leads to awesome matches and is hardly unfair if both players know how to do it.

Quote:
There's nothing fair or unfair about it.

Well, sure, you could play chess and when your friend's winning knock the pieces off the table. But it detracts from the consistency and fun of the game. That's essentially what you're doing when you jump off the edge, and times out of 10 it's hardly "strategic," it's just a cop-out. The only difference is the game keeps going after you KO. But I don't even play Timed really, so it's not much of an issue...

Besides, in the "real" (fast-paced 1 on 1) matches of Super Smash, there's no time to deliberately suicide. You're too busy caught in a flurry of kicks and punches and...other things. That's the only case where there might even be a timed match...and that's still kind of uncommon as I understand it.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:

Bullshit? I donno. I was never that pro but I got pretty darn close. It sounds like you're calling it bullshit because you can't counter it. Yes, it is an unintentional 'feature' of the game. But the amazing part is that it's still consistent and leads to awesome matches and is hardly unfair if both players know how to do it.

The problem is it kills the accessibility of the game, which is what I find so appealing about it to began with.

And no I've never learned to do it though I'm sure I could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: