The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Culinary anxiety!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Culinary anxiety! Reply with quote

Ever since the academic year begun, I've given myself little opportunity to cook. Laziness, lack of funds, whatever. It's a shame because I enjoy it. I enjoy reaping the fruits of my labour directly. And it's patently obvious to me now that eating junk has done nothing to help my already awkward physical state and lethargy.

So now it is November, I have settled into my campus room, and money is coming in. And I suddenly find that I'm daunted by the task at hand. I can't think of any particular dish to make! Or where best to find the appropriate ingredients! I now feel like a freshman all over again!

I need ideas. Any tips on how to buy quality cheap? Any dishes that you'd recommend? I'll try anything once: Vegan, vegetarian, meat, meat, meat. Any cookbooks, even?

Here, we talk about what we're making for dinner tonight.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, my (vegan) staple through most of college was just rice, seasoned black beans (cumin especially), mixed greens, tomato and cucumber in a tortilla. I ate that daily, often more. And I still love it to this day.

Wrong person for this thread, obviously!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds really good. (except for the cucumber. i'm never been very big on cucumber. too crunchy.) most of my food comes from the microwave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Wrong person for this thread, obviously!

Not necessarily. As much as I love red meat, it's typically expensive and I don't always enjoy having carcasses for every meal.

I need more sticky rice. I've been eating carrots mainly as snacks, but these days I seem to enjoy digging into an avocado like a glutton.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramen.

No, seriously. You can get a ton of use out of a package of Top Ramen, Maruchan, or some manner of import if you're lucky enough to live in a place where such things are easily attainable. For example, try some of these additives:

-Cabbage. Slice coarse strips, toss it into the ramen mixture just as it's almost done cooking. The cabbage gets a little tender but not soggy.

-Mushrooms. Any sort works really, I'm a huge fan of Sun Luck's dried shiitakes as they're cheap and rehydrate wonderfully if you add them to the soup mixture first thing. But really, your favorite fungus will add some nice texture to the mix.

-Meat. Go to your local grocery store and pick up a package of cubed stew meat or 'stir fry' strips of either beef or pork. You can get small quarter- or half-pound trays for $3 or less, and it's the perfect amount for about two large servings. Bring your water to a boil, add your seasonings, then toss in your meat. If the water's hot enough, the beef will cook through in just a few minutes; give pork a little longer. Add noodles and continue cooking normally.

-Egg. Drop a raw egg in at the very end when everything's boiling; it will be fully cooked in just a minute or so.

-Seasonings. I've found that the best way for tasty ramen, even if you're using a ghetto Top Ramen brand or something, is to always put all your seasonings in first thing when you start boiling the water, not when the noodles are added. Also, try adding a dash of curry powder, a fair amount of powdered ginger to taste (me, I like a lot), about a tablespoon of sesame seeds, a few tablespoons of soy sauce, and a clove or two minced garlic to the whole thing when you start cooking.

Seriously, ramen's pretty versatile, especially if you ignore the ridiculously large amounts of sodium. Also, if you're a fan of spicy foods, you could certainly do a lot worse than the freaking awesome Korean Shin Ramyun.

Okay, yeah, so it's a real 'impoverished college student' sort of thing to do; I consider myself a fairly accomplished chef but dammit, after a full day of classes and work the last thing I want to do upon getting home is spend an hour making something to eat. As such, sandwiches, various burritos, and the ramen concoctions form a large percentage of my diet.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakfast burritos. Pretty simple, just scramble a couple eggs, add things like peppers, whatever kinda sauce you dig, etc. Slap on a tortilla and go at it.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramen works great with Spam.
Use your own seasonings instead of the evil salt packet.
I save those packets for use as buillion- mix with saved grease and it goes a long way.

If you have a blender and ice, fruit suddenly becomes way more appealing.
Especially if you also have booze Smile

Lets see, food groups:

V8
Fruit/OJ
Slimfast/Instant Breakfast
Ramen
Spam
Hot Dogs (with the works)
Microwave burritos
Salad
Apple Sauce
Yogurt
Homemade pizza
Nuts/raisins
Peanut butter
rice&beans
homemade fries

Perfect diet.

Last night I made experimental homemade pizza with my mom.
Her kitchen, her rules.
Using cottage cheese was just a bit too much.
I had one slice to be polite.
The second pizza was a chili-bean taco experiment. Top heavy but OK.

I'll probably have ramen, v8, and spam for lunch tomorrow.
How to metabolize all of that salt?
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:

Spamen?

Does Ramen somehow make Spam not disgusting as all hell?

Also guys today I put apple juice in my ramen and I enjoyed it a lot.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soups and stuff are probably about as cheap as you an get without totally sucking.

yogurt + granola overnight in fridge = breakfast. about eight dollars (4.20gbp) will get you eight to ten days of pasty yogurty granolaness.

i'm making tofu and broccoli rabe with a chili paste tonight. i usually make my own hot oils but my wife can't really rock that shit so i'm kinda stuck with the store jar brands. my tofu is superior for a honky.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

yogurt + granola overnight in fridge = breakfast. about eight dollars (4.20gbp) will get you eight to ten days of pasty yogurty granolaness.

Key lime yogurt plus lemon yogurt with granola, raisins, banana, and applesauce.
Packed into popsicle molds.

FTW
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i'm making tofu and broccoli rabe with a chili paste tonight. i usually make my own hot oils but my wife can't really rock that shit so i'm kinda stuck with the store jar brands. my tofu is superior for a honky.

Holy shit does that sound good. Broccoli rabe is remarkable.

My wife contribution to cheap single income eats is as follows: Bag of plain tortilla chips. Bag frozen corn. Can vegetarian refried beans. Jar salsa. We use Veganrella fake cheese but you can use 'real' cheese-- shredded. Other items can be added but these are the central elements. Mix the beans with the corn in a microwavesafe container and then microwave until hot. Divide into multiple bowls if necessary-- bigger bowls are best. Add salsa and cheese stuff. Mound tortilla chips around the outside and enjoy.

Not sure how exactly how expensive this is, but if it's just you you've got at least two or three satisfying meals.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegan replacements scare the shit out of me with their grossness. i would just stick to salads and their vicissitudes if i had to play for that team, but i am kinda picky.

for about $13 you can make enough chili (con carne, con fuerte, !con venganza!) to feed two people for about 3 days in a row if they're really hungry. add some rice if you like to kick it like that. my chili is unbearably delicious. and you can add just about any kind of vegetable you like - string beans, peas, corn, carrots (to a lesser degree), broccoli, rabe, even snow/snap peas.

i've never had any good vegan chili since it is basically a spicy vegetable stew. which isn't a bad idea on its own, actually.

Last edited by dhex on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is veganrella any good? i have yet to find a decent cheese substitute, though there is a vegan grated parmesan that is pretty good on pasta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
is veganrella any good? i have yet to find a decent cheese substitute, though there is a vegan grated parmesan that is pretty good on pasta.

I like veganrella a lot, but only when it's melted. It's especially nice on pizza. It doesn't taste like much straight out of the package, but it really shines after a minute under the broiler. Not literally. Chreese is a nice, cheap mix, and I really like it, but it might not be for everyone. Although it's worth trying once since it's so cheap and easy to make.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I regret to inform everyone that I didn't quite make it with the vegan thing (don't think I was eating enough beans or anything so the lack of protein eventually got to me, I really don't eat meat that often anymore though), but I gained a newfound appreciation for those who do make it and I'm eating only organic foods now.

That being said, Peanut Butter is possibly as versatile as ramen. You can do a lot with it and even eat it straight if you have to. My favorite Peanut Butter sandwiches include Peanut Butter and Honey, Peanut Butter and banana, the classic Peanut Butter and Jelly, and sometimes even Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

One year for school I got so lazy that I brought Peanut Butter and Honey on wheat bread every day. It never got old, somehow.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have so many jars of peanut butter sitting around it's ridiculous. maranatha is peanut butter from the heavens, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually eat this store-brand organic peanut butter my mom buys. I've found that organic peanut butter has a stronger, peanut-ier taste than normal, Peter Pan-esque peanut butter, but I guess that's to be expected.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that honey was a big Vegan no-no.

Using bees as machines.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
I thought that honey was a big Vegan no-no.

Using bees as machines.

You are correct.

OtakupunkX wrote:
So I regret to inform everyone that I didn't quite make it with the vegan thing

Sorry to hear that, but hey, you gotta do what's right for you, no?

As for the nut-butters, I absolutely kill for almond butter. I just found out that it's the main ingredient at a local restaurant's almond gravy!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in my hotel room for six months I did a lot of ramen cooking and came to find it very versitile (much more than I did in college...). Greatsaintlouis recommends some excellent options for how versitile it can be. If you live near an asian grocery (you probably do if you don't think you do) I also recommend grabbing some Udon.

Anyways, what was missed was the awesomeness of boxed Tofu. One box of tofu can be had at most asian groceries for like $.75 - $1. When you're making your soup, or just a simple stir-fry, or even just some rice, take out a box and cut it up and put it in with the item. Tofu takes a little while to get use to a flavor for it (luckily before you get taste for it, it just tastes like a texture, not a flavor) but when you do, you'll crave the stuff. It is simple to add and always goes good with whatever you're cooking it in. They also last forever (the boxes). NEVER get soft tofu though, I can only think of one item I ever needed soft tofu for.

Anyways, if you have an asian grocery pick up some sauces too. Hoisen and Chilie Paste are good starters. You might want to grab some oyster sause if you're cooking with mushrooms (doesn't taste like oysters, and it goes amazingly awesome with mushrooms). I like mirin quite a bit as well. They all go well with a simple soup or stir-fry.

Also, most of these recommendations are pretty cheap things if you go to an asian grocery.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nut Butter Murphy
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attempt at microwaving potatoes this evening was a failure. One day, when I can actually afford to spend over an hour and a half on cooking, I will quench my roasted potatoes fix.

For any Blixa Bargeld (Demolishing autobahns and preparing risottos since 1980) fans out there, there's this:

friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
One day, when I can actually afford to spend over an hour and a half on cooking, I will quench my roasted potatoes fix.

Wha- over an hour an a half? Shit, you can get roasted potatoes in twenty minutes, easy.

450 degrees, chop the potatoes small, but not too thin, toss in a plastic bag with a few teaspoons of oil (enough to coat them) and some coarse salt, throw into a heavy pan or roasting tray. Throw 'em in the oven until you hear them sizzle and see steam rising for the oven, turn them over (or just toss them with a spatula), then put them back in for about 5 to ten minutes. Some might burn a little but they'll end up nice and sweet for the most part-- sweeter than you would think potatoes could be.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosemary and garlic go good with potatoes. shit, that goes good with nearly everything.

microwaves are an abomination.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really are, but my accomodation kitchen doesn't have any traditional ovens, just mircowave ones.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wierd fact via wikipedia:

Quote:
Guinness is not suitable for vegans and most vegetarians due to the use of a fish-based fining agent called isinglass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really funny when one person's idea of disgusting "I'm only eating it cuz I'm DIRT poor" is another perrson's idea of a great dish.

Redeye wrote:

This is true. It must be an Asian thing. Spam doesn't have nearly a bad name among Koreans and the Chinese as it does with Americans.

dhex wrote:
vegan replacements scare the shit out of me with their grossness. i would just stick to salads and their vicissitudes if i had to play for that team, but i am kinda picky.

Yeah, vegan cheese is a sin against God, no matter what anyone says. Sorry.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
wierd fact via wikipedia:

Quote:
Guinness is not suitable for vegans and most vegetarians due to the use of a fish-based fining agent called isinglass.

Very true. This is the case with many beers, actually. But an excellent local one from around these parts is totally vegan. There's a list out there somewhere about what beers are and aren't vegan but I'm too lazy to look for it.

FortNinety wrote:

dhex wrote:

Yeah, vegan cheese is a sin against God, no matter what anyone says. Sorry.

Now you see, I felt the same way after I went vegan, but a few years later on a lark I picked up a few different brands of fake cheese, only to be pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's that it's been so long since I had the 'real thing'.

Dhex, there's SO much more to vegan food than just salads. I eat some of them, but... wow. My wife is constantly shocking the shit out of our totally meat eating families with vegan holiday foods etcetera. Vegan food has come a long way since the circa 1989 TVP taco fillings.

And dairy cheese is a sin against my arteries!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i make some banging salads. just sayin'.

my friend makes pretty good vegan snickerdoodles and the like. she swears that vegan truffles are possible, but i must disagree. a priori no less. it's not like a cookie where the fats on the inside can be approximated - the cookies aren't the same as regular cookies, but they're still very good - because truffles rely on the right kinds of blends of chocolate and dairy. i've seen recipies which sub vegan margarine blends, soft soy, and soy milk for the heavy cream, but seeing as i make this stuff once a year for other people, i dont' think i'd want to experiment on them.

but the cheeses, yeah, eh. i've had a bunch due to my friend's vegan test kitchen lifestyle and i think if they were rebranded or re-considered the lack of expectations might help. i've had vegan pepperoni which was interesting and definitely edible but not even remotely pepperoni-like. i don't know what i'd use it for, however.

and hey, falafel! everyone likes falafel (except heathens).

shame about the guiness.

i will pass along the vegan snickerdoodle recipie sometime next month since i know the cookies are good and i'm going to be playing that sort of "hey, try this cookie ha ha gotcha it's fake" thing come december anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother with most vegan foods (I'm poor), but vegan butter is way better than margarine.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
I don't bother with most vegan foods (I'm poor), but vegan butter is way better than margarine.

Isn't margarine sort of like plastic?
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

That is a suitably lenthy entry for what is an awesome beverage. I have often substituted a lunch for a pint.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
(I'm poor)

Too bad-- you've got an excellent vegetarian restaurant right near you! It's not nearly as doofy as its website might suggest.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
But an excellent local one from around these parts is totally vegan. There's a list out there somewhere about what beers are and aren't vegan but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Shit man, I sometimes forget that not everybody in the nation has the honor and pleasure of sampling the fine wares from the Rogue Brewery! I just take it for granted! Anyways, I assume this is the vegan beer list you mentioned. I'm not vegan, but I noticed--as I hoped--that the Deschutes Brewery (located in the central Cascades of this fine state) is on that list, in which case you owe it to yourself to have a go at their Mirror Pond Pale Ale or Black Butte Porter.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Mirror Pond Pale Ale or Black Butte Porter.

OH YEAH, they serve that at the movie theater near me! Great stuff!

And that is indeed the list I was thinking of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: