The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first and last shameless plug.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: My first and last shameless plug. Reply with quote

So, this was mentioned here a couple weeks ago, but I figured I ought to bring it up one more time because I'm sure no one cared enough to remember it for two weeks.

Anyway, the new season of Survivor airs tomorrow (Thursday, 9/14/06) night at 8pm eastern! Why should any of you care? Because my girlfriend's sister is on it. Her name is Parvati, and she's a pretty interesting person. Grew up on a commune, moved to a suburb of Atlanta, was a member of one of the elite sororities (those who did not go to college at an old southern school will not completely understand this concept) at UGA, now lives in L.A. where she is a boxer and a waitress.

And if you need any more reason to watch, anyone here attracted to women should know that she is pretty good looking.

Or, more importantly, it's a chance to experience a life two degrees away from my own! (Only you have to view it through an arbitrary and artificial set of experiences.)
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will she win?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Will she win?

I'm pretty sure my girlfriend knows the answer to that, but she's not talking. I have absolutely no idea.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to point out that this year's Survivor also features racially divided teams. Even more of a reason to watch it.

Personally, this is going to be one of the first reality TV shows I've watched since junior high.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the teamed by race thing really a big deal? i have like, zero knowledge of tv shows and stuff, but this keeps coming up in random places, like the subway last night.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically a way to get the show mentioned on boards such as this one, I think.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know, the race thing came about and works like this:

When the Survivor folks were narrowing down their choices, they noticed that they had a more racially diverse group than normal, so they took the idea and ran with it. There are more contestants on this season (20) and they have been divided up into four tribes based on race. There is a white tribe, a black tribe, an asian tribe, and a hispanic tribe. From what I understand, these four tribes will behave and compete just like the two-tribe divisions from previous Survivor seasons (I have watched maybe three episodes ever, and only did that once I found out Parvati would be on this season, so I'm not the best authority on Survivors past), except that there are more tribes and each one consists of a different 'race'. It wouldn't surprise me if the race aspect of the whole thing really didn't come into play any more than that in the actual game. I think it's more of a thing just to get people buzzing about the show again because ratings have not been the same for the past few seasons as they were in the beginning. I guess I'll find out tonight how right I am, though.

Go Parvati!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parvati made it through the first episode! I am delighted to report that the first thing she did after her tribe was marooned on their island was to propose a toast over coconut milk. I'm gonna post an update on here every week, because this is too cool for me not to let it overflow onto these boards.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor13/survivors/bio_parvati.shtml

and here i thought she'd be indian. which i suppose would fall under asian?

oh foxy boxing, where did you go wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the name is part of the whole 'growing up on a commune' bit. They're a really cool family.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to watch the show last week. Was the racial grouping thing handled in a tasteful manner
Cryoburner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
From what I know, the race thing came about and works like this:

When the Survivor folks were narrowing down their choices, they noticed that they had a more racially diverse group than normal, so they took the idea and ran with it.

I'm sure that's what they say, allowing them to sound politically correct to their audience. It's extremely likely that something like that would be planned in advance though, and would have an effect on their casting. They obviously wouldn't want to verify that though, since it could upset members of other races which they had no intention of including from the start.

I don't actually watch Survivor, or much television at all for that matter. The only 'reality' series that I would sometimes watch was Road Rules on MTV, back when the concept was still moderately unique. : )
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've learned in my experiences here at TGQ is that very few of us watch TV often...
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should have a television thread. we can use it to talk about twin peaks and the prisoner, and little else!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one already.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is a day late--well, since I know none of you care that much I'm not that sorry--but Parvati made it past the second episode. She has 1/18th chance of winning! That's pretty bangin!

And for next week: She figures to play a more prominent role, if I am to judge from the promo, which says "...and Parvati works her assets..." and then cuts to a shot of her sunbathing in her bikini. So, um, watch it?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news on the Survivor front: at the beginning of the third episode last night, the tribes desegregated. It was the seventh day of the game. I think this is for the best, and suggests that the whole racial divisions bit was really just to get people talking about the show before it aired. What we are left with is a very diverse Survivor cast.

As far as Parvati goes, she's still in it. In last night's episode she was an unapologetic flirt, and probably will continue that trend as the game progresses. Hooray and all that jazz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: