The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damn you, Half-Life 2, for setting the bar so high
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Would be nice to give Valve some money, but they got in bed with Satan on their own.

buy it from steam direct?

or

buy it from steam, direct.
I don't play games on PC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
When you're in James' apartment you're doing just that - walking around James' apartment. You're not James walking around his apartment, you're yourself. e.

Just a niggling point: it's Henry, not James.

I will respond to all this stuff later; I can't right now as I'm at work. Good discussion, though, and I agree with you completely about Haalo 2/Master Chief, Wes.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the main point of my initial post was to restate that if Half-Life 2 has taught me anything, it's that non-cinematic games can often be the most cinematic. Of course, this is all ground we've covered in the podcast and on these forums, but I sort of felt the gushing need to say it again.

My other favourite non-cinematic-yet-very-cinematic game is Super Metroid. That was a game that was so ahead of its time as far as in-game storytelling goes, and I don't even know if Nintendo realized it, because they haven't bested it since. Nevermind that the music deserves its fair share of the credit (arguably one of the most effective videogame soundtracks of any generation); from the eerie opening scene to the landing sequence in the rain to the final battle, Super Metroid was the 16-bit equivalent of HL2. It did more with atmospheric 2D gameplay than all the Final Fantasies in the world, and it did it with nary a dialogue box or letterbox-inducing cutscene. (Okay, the opening backstory notwithstanding.)

That game pulls me like few others to play it again and again because of how taut the game is, and how linked to its gameplay the story is. In other words (as has been said before), the gameplay is the narrative, and the game's "story" is a thousand times more powerful because of it.

Metroid Prime tried to do this in a way, but I found that the scanning in the game didn't work as well, because it required too much stop-and-go, manual interjections—which isn't much different than being interrupted by a cutscene. Super Metroid just kept moving, and its very progression—the change in music, the opening or altering of areas—demonstrated to the player what was going on. One of the best examples of this is being able to bomb open that underwater tube. A 16-bit game with destructible environments! Again, as has been said before, it is a superior example of showing, not telling.

So yes. Sorry for the long-windedness. I had this itch to scratch by writing this. Simply put (as most of us probably agree), we need more games that show, not tell. Maybe we should list some other titles that do this?

In a way, Silent Hill 3 does this, at certain times more than other games in the series, because of its animated environments. Walking down a hall to have the walls bleed and burn around you wasn't just for show; the effect was often a manifestation of the game's progress, Heather's state of mind. But it didn't tell you this; the atmosphere alone tipped you off.

Any others?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At its best, Beyond Good & Evil: the propaganda everywhere, the guards, the traffic, etc. But that exposition falls apart later. Plus it's too blunt.

I'd like to say Phantasy Star 1 & 2 set their own narratives through visual style alone. I guess I'd have to include Earthbound if you bought that argument.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
At its best, Beyond Good & Evil: the propaganda everywhere, the guards, the traffic, etc. But that exposition falls apart later. Plus it's too blunt.

I'd like to say Phantasy Star 1 & 2 set their own narratives through visual style alone. I guess I'd have to include Earthbound if you bought that argument.

Perhaps it's the Three Philosophers talking, but if we're talking narrative and setting through style, doesn't Jet Grind Radio deserve a mention?
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
the Three Philosophers

In Vino Veritas

P.S. Arcade games?
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
simplicio wrote:
the Three Philosophers

In Vino Veritas

P.S. Arcade games?

Or shooters.

Here's a question: Would R-Type (I'm thinking Final in particular, but whichever you choose) be better served by its backstory being entirely presented in-game (cutscenes or not), rather than in the manuals as it tends to be?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought scanning in Metroid Prime worked pretty well. It could break up the action, yes; there wasn't anything forcing you to scan things, though.

That actually isn't really true, because while the base mechanic was well-thought out, the fact that Retro tied it to a sense of completion crippled the design because rather than being an entirely optional glance into the backstory of the game, it became a compulsory exercise in scanning everything in the game so that you could get "100%" on your save file.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

Perhaps it's the Three Philosophers talking, but if we're talking narrative and setting through style, doesn't Jet Grind Radio deserve a mention?
Yes. I actually think that the first few entries in the Sonic the Hedgehog series fall the same way. At least to me, Mario often felt like work, while Sonic felt like a movie, or whitewater rafting or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, I'm going to take some time to comment on your great post. It dealt with two of my Top Ten Games (although this type of distinction can be nebulous at times) so I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Lestrade wrote:
My other favourite non-cinematic-yet-very-cinematic game is Super Metroid. That was a game that was so ahead of its time as far as in-game storytelling goes, and I don't even know if Nintendo realized it, because they haven't bested it since.

I would argue that Nintendo has put out six games between 1994 and now (Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of them; I won't disclose the other four right now) in which narrative and gameplay are so tightly wound together that to mention one without the other would be irresponsible. I consistently have a hard time picking between them to decide whether Nintendo has bested itself in that respect, but all of them embody that sophisticated consistency (the marriage of all a game's features including art style, music, plot, control, perspective, objectives, etc. into a whole, seamless work) to which any game should aspire. These kinds of coherent games (and there are plenty more non-Nintendo examples) represent the apex of game design. (Now would be a good time to say that I am dying to play Half-Life 2, and will bully my 16-year old cousin into getting it for his 360 so that I can play it at his house at some point.)

Quote:
Nevermind that the music deserves its fair share of the credit (arguably one of the most effective videogame soundtracks of any generation); from the eerie opening scene to the landing sequence in the rain to the final battle, Super Metroid was the 16-bit equivalent of HL2. It did more with atmospheric 2D gameplay than all the Final Fantasies in the world, and it did it with nary a dialogue box or letterbox-inducing cutscene. (Okay, the opening backstory notwithstanding.)

That game pulls me like few others to play it again and again because of how taut the game is, and how linked to its gameplay the story is. In other words (as has been said before), the gameplay is the narrative, and the game's "story" is a thousand times more powerful because of it.

Super Metroid is positively unequaled in this regard. Re-reading these two paragraphs of yours makes me want to agree with you that Nintendo (nor anyone else) has bested it, although as ever I am reluctant to commit to such a claim. The music sent chills down my spine. The opening backstory, to which you casually attribute the word 'notwithstanding,' is executed to perfection. The black-and-white presentation of the pivotal moments of the first two Metroid games, the alien-green text that overwhelmingly fills up the vacant, pitch-black screen, the blinking cursor square that confronts you with its aura of pregnant responsibility: as you contemplate it, flashing, you already understand how profound a commitment you have made to punctuating with your actions the evident incompleteness of it all. I haven't ever felt so involved before the game even started. (Sidenote: didn't the Metroid Prime title screen kick ass, though?)

Super Metroid does earn the distinction of having been the first game to surprise me by my own actions, and it does very often. By all means, I shouldn't feel so liberated in what amounts to an extremely linear design, but some of the game requires you to do are breathtaking, and I mean that in its most literal sense. I gasped during every boss fight. (I don't remember the name of the first boss--the swinging plant thing--but what a note to start with! The poisonous flakes wafting aimlessly down from the ceiling, the utterly incomprehensible motivation for the plant's movements, the minimalist score: it was so eerie.) Being carried by a Chozo statue underground was a pure thrill. The ways in which I had to interact with the environment to progress through the game at times blew my mind; never did it hit me harder than the moment you described where you break the underwater glass tube. As a matter of fact, I think I mentioned that in the thread a while ago about favorite levels/moments in gaming. I think.

Quote:
Metroid Prime tried to do this in a way, but I found that the scanning in the game didn't work as well, because it required too much stop-and-go, manual interjections—which isn't much different than being interrupted by a cutscene. Super Metroid just kept moving, and its very progression—the change in music, the opening or altering of areas—demonstrated to the player what was going on.

I can't disagree with you that Super Metroid is much more a game of motion than Metroid Prime. However, Prime's mechanic of 'manual interjections,' or, put simply, its much more deliberate pace, works in its favor from a holistic perspective--and not in its favor compared to Super Metroid, but as an independent work. The two games function very well as separate entities. Super Metroid is a game set emphatically in a present tense; it should (and does) play with the fluidity and spontaneity of the Now. Metroid Prime, as I have touched upon in another thread, exists simultaneously in two eras. Samus has a mission that occupies her present, but beneath this job she has been given lies her own personal obsession to reconstruct the ruination of her past. The pace of the game (and the implementation of the scanning system with enormous quantities of relevant and irrelevant information in every area) reflects the idea that this time Samus is as much a historian as she is a bounty hunter. I would contrast its 'stop-and-go' gameplay with what I have played so far of [that Tim Schafer game that the site won't let me post the name of]. As much as I love the game's visualization and wonderfully weird story, the constant cinematic interruptions to my exploration are a terrible nuisance, even when they're really funny.

I'd like to end with a list of three movies, all of which also rely heavily on plot and dialogue, that excel at the concept of showing and not telling in ways that add significant dimension to each one of them: Rear Window, Y Tu Mama Tambien, and The Incredibles. I feel that if game developers insist on modeling so many of their ideas after cinema, that aspect of those films would be a great place to start.

That was a workout.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I would argue that Nintendo has put out six games between 1994 and now (Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of them; I won't disclose the other four right now) in which narrative and gameplay are so tightly wound together that to mention one without the other would be irresponsible

Is one of them Zelda: Wind Waker? Because it should be.

Good post by the way. I agree more with Lestrade's assertion than yours though, simply because Super Metroid told a compelling narrative inside of its gameplay whereas Metroid Prime tells an average narrative in moments that take you out of the game. Don't get me wrong, Metroid Prime is my favorite game ever, and I'm not just saying that. But after the first few sections I mostly gave up on scanning anything that I didn't absolutely have to, and just barely skimmed over any of the stuff I did happen to scan. The game itself is amazing, but neither the story or how they go about telling it really add anything to what's already there.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Basically, HL2’s bar is too high.

I agree and that is why I think the DS is a breath of fresh air to the tired gaming scene, you don't need to have fancy graphics on it and can concentrate on providing interesting and rewarding interactivity instead.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After (nerd!) putting on my Metroid in Motion DVD (which I'm watching again now), I started to further realize why I love Super Metroid so much. I'm having a hard time being eloquent right now, so forgive me if it takes me a bit to come to any sort of useful conclusion.

To me, Super Metroid is the pinnacle of Nintendo's way of doing things. Nintendo, contrary to many game companies, makes games from the inside out. They make games in the original sense of the word; there are rules, a playing field, a goal, and strategies to be mastered—but they seem to do this before considering story or even settings.

Though Super Metroid doesn't feel like, say, Sudoku, it is as precise and tight as that. Every screen and area in the game exists solely as a gameplay device; they are abstractions meant to provide gameplay, as opposed to settings meant to invoke reality. In other words, the game world only exists to provide you with a game to play.

The je ne sais quois of Super Metroid is that despite this, the game feels more real than most games that try to impress with realistic levels and heady storylines. I think this is because as a player you start to understand that Zebes isn't a backdrop, it's a playing field. It's a puzzle. (Yes, I realize that any game worth its salt is the same.) Classically, Nintendo games were all like this; each title was a set of rules (i.e. a "game" to play) with a different motif attached to it. Super Metroid just takes both sides of this—the set of rules and the motif—and lifts them to new levels of quality.

I have this hard-to-explain soft spot for these kinds of situations. In the same way that there is a gameplay style associated with Zelda, and that each game in the series is really a continuation of the gameplay and not the story or characters, I have this fist-shaking, deep-seated admiration for Super Metroid. It takes an obvious set of rules—now referred to as "Metroid style" or "Metroidvania" gameplay—and damn-near perfects it. Just as the word "Zelda" refers more to a set of gameplay rules than a cast of characters, "Metroid" is a genre all its own.

And here's the rub: "Metroid"—the genre, not the title—is probably my favourite style of gameplay, bar none. I love Super Metroid for all the same reasons that I love Symphony of the Night, and that's obviously no coincidence. I wish every day that I could play more "Metroid" games—sprawling 2D worlds that are really gigantic, action-and-exploration-driven puzzles, oozing with atmosphere. Sadly, thus far all we've received is the less-than-great portable Castlevanias.

Anyway, I'm sorry again for the lack of focus in this post. Fuck, I can't wait until November; I already know what my first Virtual Console purchase will be!
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

-Wes
I suspect that all four of them are Zelda games. Then again, as hinted elsewhere, I don't find Mario games terribly compelling.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

J. Goodwin wrote:
I suspect that all four of them are Zelda games.

No and no.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I would argue that Nintendo has put out six games between 1994 and now (Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of them; I won't disclose the other four right now) in which narrative and gameplay are so tightly wound together that to mention one without the other would be irresponsible

games with cutscenes and/or dialogue boxes aren't even in the running.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
No and no.

I don't know then, man. I pretty much think that the frozen in black and white Hyrule castle is the epitome of Nintendo storytelling. I mean, overall the game is far from the best Zelda game, but that scene and area are among my favorite in any game period.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp didn't say "good storytelling".

helicopterp wrote:
I would argue that Nintendo has put out six games . . . in which narrative and gameplay are so tightly wound together that to mention one without the other would be irresponsible

wind waker does most of its storytelling in cutscenes and dialogue boxes. what are you doing when you actually get to play the black and white castle? solving a block-pushing puzzle.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is one of the games kid icarus?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
helicopterp didn't say "good storytelling".

wind waker does most of its storytelling in cutscenes and dialogue boxes. what are you doing when you actually get to play the black and white castle? solving a block-pushing puzzle.

It's not what you're doing there so much as how it's handled as part of the storytelling. When you first arrive, you're in this surreal vision of a black and white hyrule castle where all of the enemies - enemies you've fought before - are all frozen mid-action. This surrealness is reinforced by having extremely low music (or no music at all? I forget), and echoey sound effects. So you go around exploring this surreal universe. Knocking on the frozen enemies' bodies, running out to the drawbridge where you discover that some crazy forcefield is holding you inside, and just swinging your sword to listen to the emptyness until you solve the aforementioned block puzzle. Then you go downstairs and the story progresses through cutscenes and dialogue boxes, because really that's the only way to tell the story they wanted to tell. Then you come back upstairs, color surges throughout the area, those enemies come alive, and the music kicks in. You can't help but feel like something big just happened, and although this dichotomy exists primarily through visuals and sounds, it's made much more striking through your interactions. Whether you call this storytelling or narrative, it's really only effective because it's a game.

The reason this scene and some other parts of windwaker fit helicopterp's quote is because the story was written the way it was specifically for scenes like this to exist the way they do, and when they are pulled off they work really, really well. Really, the only problem with Wind Waker is its pacing, and those deficiencies come primairly from the terrible bookendings of taking away your sword for a stealth quest at the beginning and making you stay in the ship for hours in order to complete the triforce fetch quest at the end. Everything else is the bees knees.

I'll agree that dialogue boxes and cutscenes generally suck, but when used to support or enhance in-game storytelling they can be a good thing.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder... what if MGS had no cutscenes? What if it was all real-time or codec?

You know what, scratch the codec part. Or rather, scratch it if any codec transmission exceeds a few lines of dialogue.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Is one of the games kid icarus?

If I had ever played it and it came out between 1994 and now, maybe. I'm working on the playing it part.

So, I've just been to a party. Well, two parties. Anyway, I'm mildly drunk, but I thought I'd try my hand here with some responses before I write...ok, no one here needs to know what I'm doing after this.

So it seems that there has been a lot of Wind Waker talk. Wes, this is your doing. I don't mind. Actually, the moment you have pointed out is brilliant. Truly, there is nothing like the black and white castle. But it's one moment in a game full of monotony. However, since I'm too drunk to dissect the game now, I will praise it twice more: the feeling you get when you figure out about combining iron boots and hookshot is great, and I love how the two songs complement one another and form a them when played together (as in the opening credits). I guess I also really like picking up the really fat pig. Anyway, it's not a bad game at all, but the gameplay doesn't match the idea as well as it could and if I'm awake tomorrow and finish my reading with plenty of time to spare I'll try to say why. It has to do with sailing and stealth and a general attitude of disillusionment that I associate with the game; how link becomes an ineffective errand-boy instead of a boy from an island who sees the world for the first time. And I hold a small grudge against it because there is some glitch on my copy that won't let me finish the damn game, not that I want the rest of my treasure maps and triforce pieces anyway. Tomorrow.

And I bet Shaper can get one of the four pretty easy, but he's an insider and is probably pretty busy so I'm not sure if he will bother or if it would even count. (I wouldn't even be counting except that it's easier than sleeping drunk.)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lestrade wrote:
Supaaaahhhhhh Metroid!

As far as what SM did with narrative and story telling, well I will just say that Metroid 2 did it better and first. Actually the narrative in Super Metroid is heavily dependant on playing the previous two games for maximum impact. Metroid 2 does not require you to have played the first for the narrative impact (although it may require hardware that was not available at the time so that you could actually see the game).

I have had the conversation so many times that I really don’t want to have it again, but I will just comment that when I finally played Super Metroid it explained a lot of things to me that I have found wrong with games since then. While SM it self may not be the worst offender, many games that followed suit are.

helicopterp wrote:
And I bet Shaper can get one of the four pretty easy, but he's an insider and is probably pretty busy so I'm not sure if he will bother or if it would even count. (I wouldn't even be counting except that it's easier than sleeping drunk.)

I would guess, but I think that would be cheating.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the subject of fps hands and feet: fear has hands and feet. you can even melee kick people (which is totally awesome in slow motion, btw) but i don't think it adds anything to the game or the immersion, particularly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For games like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, though, it becomes somewhat important. having a bdoy means your avatar can do more things, in a more credible fashion. In the past, it was mostly window-dressing, like in Halo 2 or Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, but I found it particularly convincing in the latter game, and it helped know exactly were you were putting your feet. It seems it's getting more involving now, so it'll be nice to see. Though, in the case of Half-Life 2, it might take away from the style, and I could easily live without.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on topic. This article prompted me to think about Half Life 2 today.

Wallace Breen: Polygamist?

edit: to fix outrageously long URL

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the FBI has the terror thing under control so they can get back to the important stuff.

lol "brainwashed into distrusting authority figures"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're just trusting the wrong authority figures.

the book "under the banner of heaven" by jon krakauer is pretty good in this regard. short version: these polygamists are evil, evil rapist fucks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
This article

You do not have clearance, citizen.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeffs reportedly banned television, newspaper, radio and media of any kind, including the Internet.

He also banned holidays, the colour red, and laughter.

which is the sort of totalitarian inanity one finds anywhere, really. odd cultural quirks turned into bloody pastiche. sort of like breen's neverending cerebral justification for running a prison slaughterhouse, basically, at the beginning of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and now the link works.

Funny how once you've read one sect story, it's like you've read them all.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure this dude and breen, were he not an amalgam, would have a lot to talk about regarding justification.

"no, no, you see, it's good that we no longer breed. we're free of our animal nature!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did a very good job with Breen's speeches. His justifications are actually persuasive, rather than being charicatured, which is what I expected.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His justifications are actually persuasive, rather than being charicatured, which is what I expected.

to further halflife2ify things: the monologue in nova prospekt is genius. not just cause nova prospekt is a crazy level, but because he says many things which are generally ignored in videogameland. why does a fucking physicist have the ability to kill motherfuckers like it ain't no thing?

it gives me hope that they'll never actually explain it. then again, i also, uh SPOILERS kind of hope they have the balls to kill off alyx halfway through and not have it turn into 'ZOMG COMA' or anything shitty like thatENDSPOILERS so i may not be the best judge.

i also seriously, seriously, seriously hope they never everevereverever turn halflife into a movie. seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hey man, 11/12 aint bad!

It's more along a quarter, actually.

dhex wrote:
it gives me hope that they'll never actually explain it. then again, i also, uh SPOILERS kind of hope they have the balls to kill off alyx halfway through and not have it turn into 'ZOMG COMA' or anything shitty like thatENDSPOILERS so i may not be the best judge.

If the new trailer is to believed, they might have something far more interesting in store (Also, it's fucking amazing).

And yes, they gave Breen brilliant monologues. It made the beginning of the game all the more implimating for me, and Anticitizen One took on even more of a heroic touch because of them.

dhex wrote:
i also seriously, seriously, seriously hope they never everevereverever turn halflife into a movie. seriously.

"We've seen what happens to those sorts of movies and the world would be a better place if nine tenths of those projects had never happened." - Gabe Newell

I hope so too. It doesn't need one.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
They did a very good job with Breen's speeches. His justifications are actually persuasive, rather than being charicatured, which is what I expected.

My Dad is playing through this game on his Xbox right now and he thinks Breen is a pretentious fuck. Every time he sees a TV with Breen on he smashes it or pulls the plug. Once I saw him fire a watermelon at it.

Really though. Can't he just put signs up with catchy slogans on? There are more subtle ways to brainwash the populace than to tune every TV to a live feed of yourself giving a rather dry lecture.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alien invasion ain't subtle, son.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh THANKS.

I should have mentioned that I'm yet to play it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh.

so your dad plays half life 2. that's interesting/kee-razy.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he has a lot of time on his hands since he retired.

He's always been into games, though. He's a computer programmer from back in the day. I grew up watching him play Dizzy and Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
alien invasion ain't subtle, son.

Especially the resource-guzzling masquerading as zen fascism variety.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back to more important topics, i just watched the episode 2 trailer offa gametrailers. i like the focus on stuff falling to pieces.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
back to more important topics, i just watched the episode 2 trailer offa gametrailers. i like the focus on stuff falling to pieces.

Yeah, that part got me a bit excited when I saw how realistic it looked. I wonder how far they'll go with it, keep it confined to small shacks and stuff like in the video, or go larger. I hope there are sequences where you have to make your way out of a collapsing building or something, the geometry of the structure literally coming to pieces all around you.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about the Portal trailer is making me watch it over and over and over.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it its sheer brilliance and glorious, unassuming potential?
disneyland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frist Person Puzzle!

I just hope it pops up on the 360 version, because I will never be able to run it on my PC .

Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I, and Wikipedia, know, the 360 collection of Half-Life 2 will include the original game, Episode One and Two, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, so yes, you should be set. It just leaves me wondering how they'll handle the release of the final episode on consoles later next year.

I get the feeling that Valve will be able to stick to their planned first quarter 2007 release, so I'm more concerned with the completion of Minerva: Metastasis.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It just leaves me wondering how they'll handle the release of the final episode on consoles later next year.

Downloadable content?

Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an obvious one, but nto every console gamer wants to require a Web connection. I get the impression it's the kind of thing it will take time getting used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: