The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New New New Super PAPER Mario Bros!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: New New New Super PAPER Mario Bros! Reply with quote

Hot damn! How did I miss this at E3. This looks really fantastically awesome. It also reminds me about how Wes was saying the Gamecube is dead to Nintendo. Screw that:

Video

Screens

Nintendo Press Release wrote:
What at first glance appears to be a 2-D sidescroller ripped straight from the pages
of the Paper Mario universe soon turns into a 3-D action-adventure that defies all
video game logic. Fusing 2-D and 3-D perspectives, not to mention RPG and
platformer elements, the game slips back and forth between dimensions. The
action sprawls across eight worlds filled with traps, puzzles, bizarre mysteries and
items that often draw themselves out of thin air.

The super-zoomed-in 8bit sprites look really awesome.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"

Last edited by Shapermc on Thu May 18, 2006 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gamecube IS dead to Nintendo. They didn't show these games on the show floor at all. The same could be said about the GBA. It feels like they're just fulfilling obligations, something Microsoft never felt the need to do. That said, this game looks pretty damn sweet. Good thing the Wii is backwards compatible!

I wonder if these last few games will be enough to push total Gamecube sales beyond total Xbox sales this Christmas. That would be interesting...

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is going to make me cry.

it's... so pretty.

LJ -- Profile
DonMarco

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw all of this already on the Nintendo press kit site.

Edit: I'm looking foward to it and will probably play this before NEW Super Mario Bros. Way before. Like three or four years before.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't wait to play this. I hope there's no need for analog movement because I really want to play it with my Hori pad that I use for GBA games and such.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some screens of this posted to IGN a few days back. My initial thought was that it was a joke; when I figured out it was real, I rejoiced at the sheer wackiness of it all.

I'm just crossing my fingers that this title doesn't end up as so many of those planned N64 games that had me all excited: they faded into obscurity and were never finished in the fervor over the Gamecube (or were irreversably damaged by the developers in being ported over to GC. Goddamn StarFox Adventures).

OT: Mr. Mechanical, where would you suggest is the best (i.e. cheapest and most reliable) place to pick up one o' them nifty Hori Pads?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really can't imagine starfox adventures ever having been a good game.

also i believe nintendo is selling the hori pads in the west now, as "gameboy player controllers". i've seen them at the nintendo store, at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when it was Dinosaur Planet, maybe?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was still by rare.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i was still by rare.

here we see the rare dessgeega in her natural habitat

notice the grace and skill she uses when launching the poison tipped spines that line her back

amazing.

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curses, i am undone.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Yeah, I can't wait to play this. I hope there's no need for analog movement because I really want to play it with my Hori pad that I use for GBA games and such.

I want to say that it will, but I am going to pull up a quote here that may both blow you away and hint that there is analog movement (well, you could probably still use digital... but look!):

n-sider wrote:
The most significant one is Mario’s power to turn the entire area into 3-D by turning the sidescrolling 2-D level ninety degrees so you can see in front of Mario. This reveals almost a whole new world as you move forward. Impassable pipes and other obstacles can be sidestepped around, sort of like in SMB3 where you went behind the white block to find the Warp Whistle.

Ok, I mean this is just going to kick ass, and I hate to froth like this normally. Can I re-point to this part of the press release: "...soon turns into a 3-D action-adventure that defies all video game logic."

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasn't excited about this game before--and believe me, I was--I sure am now. Is that screen from n-sider.com, too?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
If I wasn't excited about this game before--and believe me, I was--I sure am now. Is that screen from n-sider.com, too?

Technically both of those screens are from the Nintendo press release, but I am just leeching bandwidth (I know, I know).

helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, I think my new favorite mathematical equation is "Fire flower is greater than or equal to square over Toad."
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else looking forward to games like this one and Okami much more than all the next-gen stuff shown at E3? Not only are the 'inferior' graphics much more interesting because of the unique art style, but the gameplay and the graphics in both games are married into one experience. Like conjoined twins, if someone removed the style from these games, the gameplay would perish right afterwards.

I couldn't help but reply to myself.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

also i believe nintendo is selling the hori pads in the west now, as "gameboy player controllers". i've seen them at the nintendo store, at least.

I'm not sure if Dinosaur Planet was ever a good game per se, but at least in development on the N64, it wasn't raping the StarFox franchise by putting established characters in an absolutely asinine game.

And I've heard the rumors of western sales for a while, but I haven't managed to stumble across controllers online that aren't imported (not that I mind, they're just a little pricey). Being on the opposite side of the country as the Nintendo store affords me little relief; maybe I'll just check Amazon.

helicopterp wrote:
Furthermore, I think my new favorite mathematical equation is "Fire flower is greater than or equal to square over Toad."

Well now, I'd like to know how ELSE would you expect the Fire Flower to work!

And any game that bills itself as a title to defy all videogame logic immediately has my attention.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Anybody else looking forward to games like this one and Okami much more than all the next-gen stuff shown at E3?

Actually, I think that a lot of the stuff that is "HD-era" and "Next-Gen" is inferior in more ways to Killer 7/Okami/Super Paper Mario than vice versa. Why?

Killer 7/Okami/SPM all know exactly what they want to be, become specifically stylised, and then work within the limitations of the machine to produce their results. The "HD-era" and "Next-Gen" games are attmepting to simulate reality, or get as close as possible, leaving them much further from their mark than anything that is heavily stylised. This is particualarly why I was initially looking forward to Zelda: Wind Waker. I thought that Nintendo might have wisened up, but now going back to Z:TP ... well, yea.

Anyways, not everything looked bad with the next-gen stuff at E3. There were much better things though. I demand that you keep an eye open for Odin Sphere for the PS2 coming out from Atlus. It was only showed behind closed doors, but it is truely the next level of 2D games. The art, and the movement of it, was beyond amazing. Nothing else I saw at E3 came close to looking as good as Odin Sphere. I wish I could find some images for the game, but it is so early in the process.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Anyways, not everything looked bad with the next-gen stuff at E3. There were much better things though. I demand that you keep an eye open for Odin Sphere for the PS2 coming out from Atlus. It was only showed behind closed doors, but it is truely the next level of 2D games. The art, and the movement of it, was beyond amazing. Nothing else I saw at E3 came close to looking as good as Odin Sphere. I wish I could find some images for the game, but it is so early in the process.

every time you mention this my intrigue grows.

2D games on "3D" consoles are typically gorgeous affairs. the more of them the better. i like the paper mario games quite a bit.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
OT: Mr. Mechanical, where would you suggest is the best (i.e. cheapest and most reliable) place to pick up one o' them nifty Hori Pads?

I got mine from Play-Asia, but it seems they're out of print/stock right now.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

I got mine from Play-Asia, but it seems they're out of print/stock right now.

Here are some. I actually bought mine in a store and was shocked when I realised it was not an import controller. It was an independand game store though.

showka

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I'm not sure if Dinosaur Planet was ever a good game per se, but at least in development on the N64, it wasn't raping the StarFox franchise by putting established characters in an absolutely asinine game.

And I've heard the rumors of western sales for a while, but I haven't managed to stumble across controllers online that aren't imported (not that I mind, they're just a little pricey). Being on the opposite side of the country as the Nintendo store affords me little relief; maybe I'll just check Amazon.

helicopterp wrote:

Well now, I'd like to know how ELSE would you expect the Fire Flower to work!

And any game that bills itself as a title to defy all videogame logic immediately has my attention.

First off, I completely agree with your assertions about Dinosaur Planet. The only reason it would've been better is A) It would've been more impressive on the N64 and B) it would have had some soul to it, even if it was an extremly tiny bit of soul. Dinosaur Planet represented some crazy ass idea the Rare people had, dropping Star Fox characters into it probably ruined both the original idea as well as the Star Fox franchise entirely. Then again, I don't know, I haven't played it.

Also, estarland.com had GB Player controllers for $15. American ones, too.

I really hope Super Paper Mario can use them. I can't see myself playing it any other way.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
...This is particualarly why I was initially looking forward to Zelda: Wind Waker. I thought that Nintendo might have wisened up, but now going back to Z:TP ... well, yea.

Well, the flip side being that if it had really been finished and an undeniably great game, perhaps we wouldn't have seen the extreme backlash that prompted the return to "realism for grownups." Though I admit my interest in the possibility of interplay between console "real" Zelda and portable "Kiddy" Zelda. There's got to be an article lurking in there somewhere, right?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link's awakening still has the most adult story out of any game in the series.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That game really freaked me out when I finished it for the first time. A twelve-year-old kid spends weeks fighting all the way to the end of the game just to get smacked upside the head with that doozy of an ending. I was pretty traumatized by all of it.

It's too bad all successive installments in the series have been... you know, lame.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure: Wind Waker's the only Zelda game I've ever finished. So when I say it's my favorite I think that's partially due to not having played more than 15 minutes of Majora's Mask. But I know I like it more than the rest of them anyway.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dinosaur Planet represented some crazy ass idea the Rare people had, dropping Star Fox characters into it probably ruined both the original idea as well as the Star Fox franchise entirely. Then again, I don't know, I haven't played it.

...Bafmodads.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOT!

link

Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is gorgeous. The 2D plants on the left, the mountains and sky suggesting you're suspended in midair, the blocks in the distance, the weird, uh, clouds. Just completely gorgeous.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been following this for about a month, but the last gameplay video I saw had a lot of menu selecting and less running and jumping. Then again, it is based off Paper Mario which I don't think was exactly a platformer type game (though correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe the person in the video I saw just didn't know how to play it?

It was a video of a flying snake boss, I think, and the way to bring him down was more of a puzzle than a challenge of dexterity or anything like that. So I won't mind if the game follows the more puzzle-ish approach, though it wasn't what I was initially expecting when I first saw these screenshots. It still looks fucking gorgeous though.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually pre-ordered this earlier today. The folks at EB tell me that I can get it on 10/10. I'm not really interested in that kind of wait.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I actually pre-ordered this earlier today. The folks at EB tell me that I can get it on 10/10. I'm not really interested in that kind of wait.

Well I seriously doubt it'll make 10/10. It was indefinately postponed in Japan, along with DK Barrel Blast. Maybe to make way for the Wii, and possibly to just convert them to Wii games along with Twilight Princess.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dinosaur Planet represented some crazy ass idea the Rare people had, dropping Star Fox characters into it probably ruined both the original idea as well as the Star Fox franchise entirely. Then again, I don't know, I haven't played it.
It was a passable Zelda ripoff. The Starfox license was unnecessary though, and the game would've been better if it hadn't been forced in there at the last minute. It created false impressions of what the game was going to be like. The brief moments of Starfox gameplay were thoroughly pointless and very obviously tacked on.

I'd only be bothered to replay it if the original N64 version surfaced, and only then out of curiosity rather than a genuine desire to play the game again.

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I haven't been following this for about a month, but the last gameplay video I saw had a lot of menu selecting and less running and jumping. Then again, it is based off Paper Mario which I don't think was exactly a platformer type game (though correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe the person in the video I saw just didn't know how to play it?
Paper Mario 2 (I haven't played the first one, although I'm lead to believe it was very similar) was an action-RPG game. You have a battle mode and your characters level up. Similar to Mario RPG in gameplay, though not in visual style. I didn't really enjoy it that much. Something about the visual style was incongruous with the action, the game just didn't "feel" right. I'm still not sure exactly why.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Paper Mario 2 (I haven't played the first one, although I'm lead to believe it was very similar) was an action-RPG game. You have a battle mode and your characters level up. Similar to Mario RPG in gameplay, though not in visual style. I didn't really enjoy it that much. Something about the visual style was incongruous with the action, the game just didn't "feel" right. I'm still not sure exactly why.

I read that since then the changed something to the R button to streamline the menu changing. Also, I mean, that was testing, the whole game won't play exactly like that. At E3 you stand in line and watch people play games really horribly all day, so you can't really use that as a basis. That said, it will have a lot more options for changing and strategy, but I don't see needing to change/use the menu as much as that video indicated.

Alc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I didn't play it at E3. I have Paper Mario 2: The Thousand-Year Door for Gamecube. The first Paper Mario game was for N64. Both of them were woefully under-reported, so I can see how you could have missed one or other.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
Huh? I didn't play it at E3. I have Paper Mario 2: The Thousand-Year Door for Gamecube. The first Paper Mario game was for N64. Both of them were woefully under-reported, so I can see how you could have missed one or other.

[Michael Bluth]Alc's not on board.[/Michael Bluth]
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alc, not helicopterp wrote:
Huh? I didn't play it at E3

It wasn't at E3, the videos and such are from World Hobby Fair. I think Shaper was making a general statement about the playing of games at events.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh... makes more sense when you read the embedded quote.
/pays more attention
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, that is not my quote! I'm crying foul. Foul!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woop woop!
kuzdu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or are the flowers shaped like d-pads?
mslano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
helicopterp wrote:

Well I seriously doubt it'll make 10/10. It was indefinately postponed in Japan, along with DK Barrel Blast. Maybe to make way for the Wii, and possibly to just convert them to Wii games along with Twilight Princess.

-Wes

This better be a filthy lie. I cannot wait to play this game and indefinitely delayed puts a damper on that notion.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. World's Greatest Moderator wrote:
woop woop!

DonMarco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mslano wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
helicopterp wrote:

-Wes

This better be a filthy lie. I cannot wait to play this game and indefinitely delayed puts a damper on that notion.

Nintendo's done it before. History will look back and debate if it was a good game or a good launch game. If they lock out dungeons/features for the GameCube version, it will be a Wii launch game. Fuckign Nintendo...
mslano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it happens quite a lot with Nintendo. I guess that's why I've taken to buying games long after their releases. I suppose that only works until there's a game that gets me really excited like Super Paper Mario has. Nothing to do about it but sign and wait.

Sigh...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: