The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why nintendo pisses me off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*christina*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: why nintendo pisses me off Reply with quote

Ok, I love Nintendo games... well except for mario, which I stopped loving after I was 10 because I realized that I sucked at platformers. But there are many Nintendo games that I love and adore for both the gamecube and the gameboy. My biggest problem with Nintendo is this crap:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147494
When this kind of reiteration of the same system comes out I get so frustrated. I'm happy with my little light blue nintendogs DS. A smaller, brighter version would not tempt me to stray. However, the same can not be said about Wes. This boy has every damn iteration of the gameboy that has ever existed. We have so many GBAs at my house that friends are not required to bring their own for a round of Zelda Four Swords. We have a white first release GBA, a moded back-lit gold Pokemon GBA, a limited edition pearl white FF SP, my silver SP, Wes's silver DS, my Nintendogs DS, and now a 20th anniversary edition Micro. Now this newer brighter better DS comes along to tempt the boy into throwing more dollars into the GBA abyss. When will it end???

~christina
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina, you're awesome. You knew all of my Game Boys! But you're missing one. I don't have the Japan-Only Game Boy Light, and I no longer have an old school Game Boy Brick. If you want to get technical you're also missing my Super Game Boy and Super Game Boy 2.

What you don't realize is that they're just doing it because they can. This is a much better option for people who don't have a DS yet. It looks cooler and I'm sure it doesn't cost them as much to make. They need to do something because they need to look at least as cool as the PSP in order to appeal to stupid tech guys who buy UMD movies and care more about the power of a system than having a system that actually has games they want to play on it.

You can rest easy though! Unless I have a sudden surge of extra money I'm not planning on buying a DS Lite, but I might get it after it goes down in price or if I can get a good deal on one. I never bought a redesigned PS1 or PS2, did I?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments on this.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxxx

Last edited by dhex on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's nice that i wouldn't reach for the power button while attempting to pause the game.

this is sort of ludicrous, though. note its new resemblance to the revolution controller.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
nintendo are nostalgia rapists extraordinaire. i salue them (in that sense).

besides, this shit works for apple...why not for them?

I like to think of nintendo as nostalgia pimps rather than rapists. Now sega, what with their shadow the hedgehog shenanigans, that's rape.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
that's rape.

no, actually rape is having someone force or coerce you to have sex against your will. it is absolutely not a fucking thing like someone making a videogame you don't like. in fact, i can not imagine two things that are more dissimiliar. so stop using that term to express your dissatisfaction with videogame franchises you have an interest in.

this goes for all of you.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxx

Last edited by dhex on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
david

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone so angry.

Do you feel cheated because there's now something newer and shinier than the product you bought? Welcome to consumer electronics.

Obviously the launch DS was the best Nintendo could come up with at the time. Public reaction and evolution of their design approach has lead to something hopefully more attractive to gadget-geeks and casual players. I personally find it exciting to see new designs tried out.

The new design is alright, if a bit boring. These iPod derivated designs have become predictable. Soon we'll see a reaction in the other direction.

Also, it bugs me how the + pad and button diamond are no longer symmetrical to each other. Their similar shapes and positioning invite visual comparison, but the buttons are now a bit bigger and higher up. It's probably more functional, but it looks arbitrary.

I personally like the current DS, it's just a bit chubby and the silver is dirty-looking. The contour of the closed unit's cover is sporty and it's interesting how it looks from the side like three pieces stacked up.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Also, it bugs me how the + pad and button diamond are no longer symmetrical to each other. Their similar shapes and positioning invite visual comparison, but the buttons are now a bit bigger and higher up. It's probably more functional, but it looks arbitrary.

Yea, I noticed that too. If it really is the same D-Pad as the Micro, it is a much better one (same with the buttons). Really I am only angry that it is coming out so soon. I mean, I have just bought a ton of Nintendo hardware (with the micro being so recent) so it just seems bad. Everything else seemed to be at a good time spacing (GB->GB Pocket, Pocket -> Color, Color -> GBA, GBA->SP, SP->DS/MICRO/SP2->DSl). Add to that I am pretty sure I will end up buying one... you see what I mean.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry dessgeega.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that wasn't aimed exclusively at you, just so you know. but yeah, no longer allowed on this forum as of now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it's nice that i wouldn't reach for the power button while attempting to pause the game.

Good point. I didn't notice that... and now I love it. Dammit Nintendo. I am so lucky the current power button is not very sensitive to my absent-minded mashing. I am constantly hitting it rather than start. Switches just make more sense really.

~christina
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*christina* wrote:
I am so lucky the current power button is not very sensitive to my absent-minded mashing. I am constantly hitting it rather than start. Switches just make more sense really.

whoever thought putting the power button right next to the face buttons was...not thinking very well?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the consoles they rehash for their apparently tweaked fanbase.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be fair, Nintendo only molests (is this word ok?) nostalgia when it comes to surface level things. Their gameplay usually takes nostalgic characters and uses them to push forward innovative gameplay. If they're not evolving the genres they created in the first place they're creating new ones, or creating new things that defy genre. There's not a lot that's nostalgic about the DS, Revolution, Pikmin, or much of their second party stuff, and it'll be interesting to see where they take games that use the Revolution controller. Say what you will about the rest of Mario Sunshine, but playing around with the Fludd is more innovative than Sony, Sly, and Ratchet combined.

Of course, they also won't let their old stuff die and they re-release it every 5 or 10 years for their newer systems. I prefer that they keep these old games alive rather than forcing you to buy, hook back up old systems, or illegally download some roms to play them.

It's interesting how quickly they let their console systems die though. The Gamecube's more powerful (and cheaper than) the PS2, but they don't seem to be interested in giving people a reason to buy one.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're forgetting that Mario is in a DDR game.

My own thoughts on the new DS can be found in Shaper's LJ.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
And a soccer game. And a golf game. And tennis. And baseball.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
And a soccer game. And a golf game. And tennis. And baseball.

and dont forget basketball and boxing.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rage only at excessive branding!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah. I get that, but what's nostalgic about watching Mario slam dunk a basketball?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mad that the DS is the only Nintendo handheld at the time of the GBA's death.

You know what that means, right? No more Game Boys!

/me curls up into the fetus position and hugs his Yoshi beanie baby.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think that they would retire the Game Boy, if for no other reason than that the GBA still sells really well.

For the most part I like the redesign, but it seems like it will be even more painful to play Mario Kart on the new version.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Christina, maybe you could suddenly "lose" one of those DS systems that Wes owns and after paying you a small sum it could somehow end up here? Wink

And has the DS taken over for the GBA? Or will there be a new GB in the future?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
I wouldn't think that they would retire the Game Boy, if for no other reason than that the GBA still sells really well.

There are like no games coming out for the GBA after the spring. The DS is selling 10:1 on the GBA.

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
And has the DS taken over for the GBA? Or will there be a new GB in the future?

I'm pretty sure there won't be. They didn't call it the "Game Boy DS" for a reason. Maybe becacuse it's a throwback to a sexist age of gaming, or it's an old image of blocky 4-toned green bricks of systems.

As for not continuing the Game Boy name... I think it had something to do with not having Gunpei around, and Nintendo's brand of goofy overtness in the market. If there was a new Game Boy, we would've seen it by now. From the GB to GBC, the carts and systems blended into each other. The games were forwards compatible. From GBC to GBA, the systems and games were the best of friends. With the DS to GBA, it used to take the carts. Now it doesn't.

So I guess you could say that there may be a new system down the line that will accept the GB-shaped carts, play games and be super-fun to have. Can't imagine why. Nintedno's DS is selling really well, and a sucker magnet for new players. Technically speaking, the screen is a little larger and the 3D games look better backed by that faster processor. You have non-gaming games like the dog-raiding sim and the debt simulator Animal Crossing Wild World.

The next generation of handheld Nintendo is the DS.They launched it last year, and a redesign this Spring. To design/build/market a new Game Boy wouldn't be that hard, but couldn't be launched this year or next. Maybe next, but 2008 at the earliest in my opinion. Throwing another system after the Lite/DS/micro is gonna be suicide. If you want a handheld system, get the DS. If you want to watch movies and play high-res games, get the PSP. people can understand that. Nintendo drops another handheld, it will be based on how well the DS and Revoution do, so a couple years no matter what.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
The next generation of handheld Nintendo is the DS.They launched it last year, and a redesign this Spring.

...? They launched it over a year ago. It was released 11/21/04 in the US, and 12/2/04 in Japan.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: why nintendo pisses me off Reply with quote

*christina* wrote:
My biggest problem with Nintendo is this crap:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3147494
When this kind of reiteration of the same system comes out I get so frustrated. I'm happy with my little light blue nintendogs DS. A smaller, brighter version would not tempt me to stray. However, the same can not be said about Wes. This boy has every damn iteration of the gameboy that has ever existed.

But the DS Lite has much more reason for existing than the GB Micro. DS sales are still growing, and the smaller, more Appley design could help to draw new users as Nintendo starts releasing Brain Training in America. There may also be people who buy the new version and then sell or give away the old version. I did it this Christmas, when I purchased a brighter SP for myself and gave my older SP to my cousin as a gift (instead of selling it to a game store to offset the cost of the newer unit). Both options expand the user base of the console.

And, you know, if a large portion of idiots loyal supporters decide to waste their money add to their collection, that just makes Nintendo's decision easier.

I mean, Sony released a smaller PS2. And I think there are lots of people who wish Microsoft would make a smaller Xbox/Xbox 360.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: why nintendo pisses me off Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
The next generation of handheld Nintendo is the DS.They launched it last year, and a redesign this Spring.

...? They launched it over a year ago. It was released 11/21/04 in the US, and 12/2/04 in Japan.

Dammit. I could have sworn the US launch was January, but to be fair, I wasn't around for it. It figures that the one system I'm not in the states for would launch before Japan.

Tablesaw wrote:
I mean, Sony released a smaller PS2. And I think there are lots of people who wish Microsoft would make a smaller Xbox/Xbox 360.

The PS2 and DS lost some functionalities with their redesigns. What would the xbox/360 lose? They also added some shit, don't call me a Negative Nancy, now.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog riding simulation?
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the DS can't play original GB games, I'm guessing if I plan on playing old GB/GBC games I should pick up a GameboyAdvance somewhere down the line after buying a DS so I can play the entire library. Or would it be better just to wait for the Revolution? Won't you be able to play GB games on that too?
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Or would it be better just to wait for the Revolution? Won't you be able to play GB games on that too?

Maybe they'll do a GB player or something (though I doubt it), but in terms of downloadable material I wouldn't count on anything that's not first party software.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say nintendo more gently fondles nostalgia with perverse intent.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo: Nostalgia Pimpin' since 1993.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: