The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

onward christian soldiers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: onward christian soldiers Reply with quote

Link

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say everyone has a god they would kill for, but they all have different names Crying or Very sad
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yea, disneyland is back.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Disneyland! Give me advice on my computer!

Also: I skimmed that article and think it sounds pretty neat. I've got a friend in priest school who comes over and plays Halo with me. It's fun. Yeah dhex, I know that's now what you're going for, but hey.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naw, that's exactly what i'm looking for.

actually, it's the clan stuff that interests me. all part of the great experiential we're engaging, no?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Captain420, if you died today, would you be saved?"

This strikes me as more than a little idiotic, and it's the sole example given of how they're actually "working".

And that whole "Christian doesn't equal nonviolent" thing is a load of bullshit. With the examples given, a more appropriate statement would be "non-violence is unpopular among Christians." Now which Gospel did that Eldredge asshole write again?

I commend the article for attempting the subject, and I think the fault of the piece lies less in the journalist (for once!) and more in the fact that this "movement" seems to be on pretty shakey footing.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And that whole "Christian doesn't equal nonviolent" thing is a load of bullshit. With the examples given, a more appropriate statement would be "non-violence is unpopular among Christians." Now which Gospel did that Eldredge asshole write again?

"Think not I am come to send peace on earth. I came not to send peace, but a sword."

christ arrives to destroy the old ways of the pharisees and the temple as it was; cultural violence is as much the legacy of christianity as it is of any other religious tradition, and perhaps even moreso. actually, a lot moreso than most other traditions, with the exception of islam.

and rhetorically speaking, it's a great little line. we engage in pretend murder, in an effort to forget the death which lies in wait for all of us. to put this forth as one's emotional avatar is murdered is absolutely, positively fucking brilliant, from a semiotic warfare* pov. there's a way out of death? at the moment of "death" no less? companies pay a lot of money to learn how to mimic some of this effect (the mythopoetic language of adbusters aside for a moment, that they mostly fail is a testament to the anarchy of human interaction).

*which is, frankly, the only way to understand human interaction. we are the war of all against all, at least in our heads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

christ arrives to destroy the old ways of the pharisees and the temple as it was; cultural violence is as much the legacy of christianity as it is of any other religious tradition, and perhaps even moreso. actually, a lot moreso than most other traditions, with the exception of islam.

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong then. Maybe I've been thinking about Christianity as a religion with a good humanitarian message that's been indelibly marred by a group of outstanding assholes, when I should be thinking of it as an asshole's religion that's managed to sucker in some good humanitarians.

Quote:
and rhetorically speaking, it's a great little line. we engage in pretend murder, in an effort to forget the death which lies in wait for all of us. to put this forth as one's emotional avatar is murdered is absolutely, positively fucking brilliant, from a semiotic warfare* pov. there's a way out of death? at the moment of "death" no less?

But would "Captain420" ever buy it? Would anyone? I guess they would or religion wouldn't spread in the first place, but fuck it's annoying to think people are so gullible.

Dammit, the more I think about people these days the more alienated I feel.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their "buying it" isn't the point. true semiotic warfare is more like planting landmines than hoisting petards.

Quote:
Maybe I've been thinking about Christianity as a religion with a good humanitarian message that's been indelibly marred by a group of outstanding assholes, when I should be thinking of it as an asshole's religion that's managed to sucker in some good humanitarians.

nah, you've just been reading too much liberal exegesis.

"humanitarian" in the sense you mean it has virtually nothing to do with any religious tradition, much less one that's 2000 years old.

i'll give dorothy day quite a bit of credit for understanding this implicitly. my dislike of the western religious tradition is nothing compared to my admiration for the willingness of some to engage themselves in a tradition and attempt synthesis, which is why i give the folks above a pass. i find their behavior fascinating; i write "fnord" across the back of every one dollar bill i have that comes anywhere near a pen or marker for similar reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
their "buying it" isn't the point. true semiotic warfare is more like planting landmines than hoisting petards.

Quote:
Maybe I've been thinking about Christianity as a religion with a good humanitarian message that's been indelibly marred by a group of outstanding assholes, when I should be thinking of it as an asshole's religion that's managed to sucker in some good humanitarians.

nah, you've just been reading too much liberal exegesis.

Not at all, just holding out too much hope for people. And I realize that humanitarianism has little to do with religion, but I guess a boy can dream.

Or has to, if he doesn't want to stumble into outright hatred and despair.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you're speaking about charity (as humanitarianism), religious groups outgive nonreligious groups by a factor of about 1000 : 1 - that is to say that secularists are far less likely to engage in such giving than the religious are. so in that sense it has everything to do with religion and very little to do with "freethinkers" (a term that's not as stupid as "bright" may be - sorry dr. dawkins - but unless you're a time traveller from the 18th century, it really shouldn't be in your vocabulary.)

so chin up and hug a christianist today!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the blurb about how they naturally gravitate towards WW2-based games that interests me the most.

It slots perfectly into the semiotic warfare that dhex is talking about.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
It's the blurb about how they naturally gravitate towards WW2-based games that interests me the most.

It slots perfectly into the semiotic warfare that dhex is talking about.

True, though I also think it's because they probably have problems inserting God into a non-historical world to which Christian mythology doesn't apply, such as Unreal, and clearly they aren't gonna be playing an outright pagan game like WoW either. WW2 is easiest cause the Nazis are the easiest group of combatants in history to demonize, which is precisely why so many FPS games get made about shooting them. I've never played the Battlefield games but I'm sure they're all as morally one-sided as any online FPS, yet I still wonder: were these groups as drawn to Battlefield Vietnam as all the WW2 ones?

Though I guess from a militant Christian viewpoint that conflict might have been just as morally unambiguous as any other.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vietnam had a considerable multifaith protest element very early on; clergy and laity concerned about vietnam, for example, had associations with everyone from pre vat 1 nuns to liberation theology types to all manner of baptist, anabaptist, etc.

world war ii had a lot of anarchists, anti-draft folk and religious pacifists; they ended up filing a lot of timesheets and diggin' a lot of ditches.

conversely...the falangistas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about the actual Vietnam resistance; I'm just wondering if these guys ever latched onto a game set in that war.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not.

they're also not nearly as popular as day of defeat or bf2, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hey Disneyland! Give me advice on my computer!

-Wes

1 GB of ram is a must. And at minimum, a GeForce 6800/Radeon X800.
There was this cool deal from EVGA where you'd get a free motherboard with the purchase of a GeForce 7800 GT. That's a nice card. You could build a good system around that card and motherboard. Maybe the deal was with Tiger Direct; could be expired. I've just ordered a new Alienware with two 7800s inside.

I wasn't happy to see the 360 version of Call of Duty 2 running significantly faster than on my current PC. That helped justify the upgrade. Can't wait to see FEAR running on the new machine. FEAR was really good. Not the horror stuff -- though it was nice and seamless. It's the action. The AI. Looks so good.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the evga combo offer is over. i got in on that just as it was wrapping up.

fear runs like a beast, but i really must recommend 2gb ram.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyland wrote:
I've just ordered a new Alienware with two 7800s inside.

Not to be negative, but...

...wanker.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disneyland, that's just his style, man.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought disneyland was a girl...

Anyway, I don't think I need a fancier video card than the Geforce 6600GT 256MB I'm planning on getting. I think I'd get more out of bumping up the hard drive space or processor speed or something.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: