The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The E3 (or Whatever It's Called) 2007 Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
a solution to the Wii friend code system

what's the problem with wii friend codes?

I was actually thinking DS, but doesn't the Wii also require you to trade game-specific codes for some games? I know for a fact that the Japanese Pokemon did. Not sure about the US one.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it bother anyone else that Nintendo themselves are releasing plastic pieces of shit to put on your controller? The more I think about it the more it bugs me. I thought Nintendo was above that.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that, like, the first thing they said they were going to do when they announced the wii controller?
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
isn't that, like, the first thing they said they were going to do when they announced the wii controller?

I remember this as well.

To be honest, I'd rather stick with just the Wiimote and nunchuck for all my games. If Mario Kart plays just as well with a sideways Wiimote (don't know about that, as the wheel seems to have triggers on it), I'll stick with that. But I remember how much fun I had with Mario Kart GP, and the wheel comes with the game, so I imagine I'll be playing with the wheel anyway.

Still, I think Wii Fit is the most exciting thing out of the show (once again), but damn if I don't want me some Metroid.

But you and I are on completely opposite wavelengths when it comes to most everything, Wes. Also, I don't own a PS3 so Sony's presentation is largely irrelevant to me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little big planet is a great-looking game but it's not going to sell me a boring, overpriced console!

i think the gun, at least, will set a good precedent for "light gun" games on the wii. wii play seems to suggest the wii can do them pretty well!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as regards nintendo thinking up new plastic shit to stick on your wiimote:

would it make so much of a difference to you if it plugged into the wiimote (as in, actually had some form of electricity going to it)? the only difference from the zapper we saw last year and the one from this year is that this one actually uses the nunchuck you've no doubt already got, which is.. economical at worst.

i pretty much felt the exact same way about the three press conferences as you did, though, wes.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
But you and I are on completely opposite wavelengths when it comes to most everything, Wes. Also, I don't own a PS3 so Sony's presentation is largely irrelevant to me.

I don't know man, I agree with everything else you said in that same post!

I think a lot of the differing opinions come down to the whole "lack of a PS3" thing. If you don't have a PS3 why would you care about a bunch of games you're never going to play? They didn't show anything that's going to sell the system to someone, but then again maybe Infamous, Killzone, Eye of Judgement, or Little Big Planet will become huge? Come to think of it, I wonder why they didn't show Eye of Judgement? That seems like a much better use of gimmicky controller technology than Wii Fit.

Anyway, I liked Sony's conference because it reinforced the idea that the PS3 might not be a piece of shit. I didn't really like the PSP, but lately I'm kind of warming up to it. I didn't ever want to be as disillusioned about the PS3 as I was about the PSP and now I feel like I'm not going to be!

I think the reason I'm so critical of Nintendo now is that despite them having the biggest system of the current generation I'm still getting a GameCube vibe from the Wii. I loved the GameCube for the first few years, but even then, in between flagship Nintendo games things were a wasteland of crappy tri-system ports and licensed kids games. Recently it seems like Nintendo's dialing in all of those same flagship Nintendo titles while they put all of their heart toward what they know non-gamers will buy. It makes sense, but I still kinda like actual games. Do you realize that Nintendo's last single player, non-sequel, first party console game was Pikmin? Damnit.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you know what? You're probably right. We aren't so different after all. I guess I'm just a douchebag.

I totally see what you're saying, especially about getting that GameCube feeling. Sometimes friends will ask, "What's new for Wii?" and I have to say, "Uh, nothing?" Granted, between the Wii, DS, Xbox 360 and downloadable games I can usually find something new to play, but things are a bit dry, yes.

It's weird about the PS3; I just feel completely apathetic towards it. I mean, I'm as much of a gearhead as anyone else, but I can't think of a damn reason to buy a PS3 at all. Maybe in 2008 that will change, but so far the offerings—all of the same "hardcore," dark-and-gritty, boobs and swords variety—don't interest me at all.

But I just saw some of those new Little Big Planet screens and my, my, my; that game sure fills me with that same sense of happy awe I get when looking at a new Mario game. It's uncannily beautiful, and though I am less likely to play a make-your-own-fun game than a story-based one, the sheer beauty of it is enticing.

I'm probably getting a nice HDTV later this year; maybe after that, my interest in the PS3 will improve?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I remember this as well.

I remember it too, but I was always under the impression that they'd add functionality specific to the games they relate to. These both seem like plastic pieces of crap you slide your controllers into. I'm pretty sure that the stuff on the back of the steering wheels were just holes for the Z button and the strap. The Z button could be useful, but I'd rather the controller had its own set of buttons. If I'm incorrect and they actually do use the Wii controller expansion port on the back in some way mechanically then they're forgiven, if not then they're no better than they're no better than Nerf with their Wii Sports enhancing Tennis Paddles.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfff

i want it :/
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I don't know man, I agree with everything else you said in that same post!

I think a lot of the differing opinions come down to the whole "lack of a PS3" thing. If you don't have a PS3 why would you care about a bunch of games you're never going to play? They didn't show anything that's going to sell the system to someone, but then again maybe Infamous, Killzone, Eye of Judgement, or Little Big Planet will become huge? Come to think of it, I wonder why they didn't show Eye of Judgement? That seems like a much better use of gimmicky controller technology than Wii Fit.

One great thing about the PS3's slow start is that you can get them really cheap on ebay. I purchased a 60 gig model for $400, which, admittedly, was mainly for blu-ray and to replace my broken ps2 and psx - but still, it's a pretty nice combo for the price. With the price drop, a 60 gig could very well go for around $300 or less (with proper backwards compatibility to boot). A small perk, I find, are the downloadable PSX games, because $5.99 is about $20 cheaper than what I would pay for Rally Cross on ebay.

Eh, my case is resting snuggly in particulars, but if you happen to be in the same position, then their ineptitude is coming in handy.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
unfff

i like that people are using the technology we finally have to do obvious stuff like this (echochrome, crush) instead of just to put more polygons in the games we already have. whether a game built around a single visual magic trick is actually worth playing remains to be seen (super paper mario).
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hey i just noticed that marathon 2 port (which has stupid looking new weapons) also has crosshairs.

sorry microsoft, you fucking fail.

i don't need a 360 anymore!

i'm suffering so much nerd rage that i think i'm going to buy a ps3 just to spite microsoft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geometry wars wii looks exactly like the xbox version: which is to say, indecipherable. the ds version actually looks like something you can play.

i will probably get durandal because i am unimpressed by cycle's nerd rage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psst: username "golin" password "harris"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endless ocean is exactly the sort of thing i want to see on the wii.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess why aren't you telling me to finish my article

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finish that article or i'll have your avatar revoked
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh snap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i like that people are using the technology we finally have to do obvious stuff like this (echochrome, crush) instead of just to put more polygons in the games we already have. whether a game built around a single visual magic trick is actually worth playing remains to be seen (super paper mario).

I actually think it's going to be great. I immediately thought of Portal--in that it invents its own gimmick, and it's so clever about it and yet so simple and yet...so immensely satisfying (play narbacular drop! it's great once you start figuring out how to skip entire levels by using the portal logic).

i don't even know what i'm babbling about. trust me, escher: the game is going to be way more fun than super paper mario.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portal is going to work because they've put so much effort into making a world with believable, predictable physics, that just happens to also contain a magical portal gun which interacts with those physics exactly how you'd expect them to, letting the player enact all of her crafty space-defying ideas.

echochrome just looks like make sure the camera is turned the right way or you fall. it could surprise me, though. (so could portal.)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's wrong with crosshairs?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crosshairs are for pussies. marathon doesn't need them, and putting them in takes away some of the skill required to play, especially with the SPNKR. Shotguns will also be way too easy to use now. there better be an option to ban them from servers, or fuck that noise.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

YES

This is my favorite part of E3. Thanks Dess.

(I like getting hi-res versions of all the artwork.)
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys i cant stress enough how much crosshairs will ruin marathon
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Wario's course in Mario Kart Wii is called 'Wario's Mines' and it's a direct tribute to that part of Castle In The Sky when the air pirates are driving their cars along the train tracks! Same architecture and canyons and everything. Only there's warp pipes sticking up everywhere.

Sadly, the game looks as ugly and shiny as Double Dash did.

Also there's a dude doing press-ups in the Wii Fit press package who is pretending to be a woman with breasts. That's the most I got from the press section this year. Have you got a password for Sony's press site?

Oh yeah, what's the deal with Endless Ocean?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

such crosshair racism i had not expect to find in a place like this.

(actually i'm somewhat bewildered but to each their own)
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were there, dhex, if you were there when the heavens came crashing down, you'd understand.

you'd know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
dear xbox live arcade: please keep surprising me with things like this.

p.s. seriously when is sensible soccer coming out

I've heard from somebody who may or may not work for the team mention that it's coming soon -- however, this was on a British site, so it may be the case that they only release it for Europe, although that would seem pretty shortsighted to me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it's exactly that kind of shortsightedness which has characterized the sensible soccer series up to this point!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, this is exactly what I'd like to see from Wii Remote attachments in the future.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensible Soccer will be released on August 29th. There's an announcement about it on the Codemasters forums and everything seems to indicate that it'll be released for all regions, although no confirmation just to keep us edgy.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone linked this yet, because they should. They really should.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SILENT HILL FIIIIIIIVVVVVVE.

Actually, the voice-over is really week and apparently the game is being developed by Americans, not the original team.

How is it that this many years down the road, we still can't get a Silent Hill game with the atmosphere of SH2 or the raw visual quality of SH3?

Harveyjames wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

YES

This is my favorite part of E3. Thanks Dess.

(I like getting hi-res versions of all the artwork.)

Thank you thank you thank you
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle's rage at the addition of crosshairs kind of reminds me of an essay I just read from somebody on LiveJournal.

The relevant bit:

Quote:
...if you're a Big Goddamn Fan, you cannot possibly understand how people can get by with less. I remember the comments to my review on Ocean's 13, where someone said that you needed to see Ocean's 12 because there's a critical scene with an antagonist from 12 and you'd never understand the movie without that. Whereas I hadn't seen all of 12, and the antagonist showed up, and I knew everything I needed to see from a) the weary way the lead characters confronted him, and b) the way that he was ripping them off.

I saw a guy and went, "Ooo. Villain. Cool." And that was it.

But the funny thing is that if you know all the background, you become convinced that nobody with less background could follow it. And realistically, in movies, quite often you can know everything you absolutely need to know about a character from a witty quip, the right expression, and the way the PCs react to him. Everything else, all that additional detail, is just extra frosting on the cake.

In other words, if you're hip-deep in the source material - and this is me, too, not just "other people" - it's impossible to say how much information someone needs at a minimum to comprehend what's going on. I've heard before that a movie was incomprehensible if you hadn't read the book it was based on, but no, I got it. But it seems so paltry in comparison to the wealth of stuff you know that you believe that it's got to be too little.

Obviously, the context is a bit different--Steinmetz is talking about fan rage about scenes omitted from movies, while Cycle's complaint is that they've added something--but I think there's an important parallel here about the dangers of familiarity and misattributing importance.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, seriously, the game doesn't need crosshairs and the game will be worse off with them. It will turn the refined multiplayer into a mess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

crosshairs are for pussies. marathon doesn't need them, and putting them in takes away some of the skill required to play, especially with the SPNKR. Shotguns will also be way too easy to use now. there better be an option to ban them from servers, or fuck that noise.

i donno. i feel like that's the same as disparaging remakes of Monkey Island for including a graphically-based/mouse inventory. it's just...better.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that wouldn't remove skill from the gameplay.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched all the folks on the 1up show complain about how Nintendo is concentrating too much on the casual market. I guess they didn't get the memo? Instead they rave about all the "hardcore" games that Sony and Microsoft are offering.

I guess I'm not hardcore enough, because I certainly am not excited by a collection of identical, bleak, In-a-World FPSes and gritty racers. I mean, Haze? Seriously?

I know Nintendo is no be-all-end-all (as previously discussed) but fuck, Gamers™ take themselves way, way too seriously these days. I can't take Ryan O'Donnell seriously ever since he admitted he "doesn't like to read." Buffoons.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, i think haze looked pretty good. but i like that kind of thing.

i was never one much for guessing where i was shooting, so crosshairs don't really bother me.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guns are always aimed at the middle of the screen - that's where you'll be shooting. and i think you guys can shut the heck up until you spend some time playing marathon online, especially with the SPNKR. seriously, putting crosshairs on that thing will take out all of the skill that requires to use that megaweapon of death and will just ruin the balance.

basically, it's like putting a quad damage power-up in a rainbow six game.

Last edited by Cycle on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get ya - but ahh yeah i play games that were made in this century so "middle of the screen" isn't that helpful. widescreen you know. 16:9, old chap, with those terribly high resolutions. quite a bother really. all this aliasing business. bad for the blood, i think. not to mention the eyestrain.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i... the middle of the screen would still be obvious? what?

more modern games could do with dumping crosshairs, too. cthullu was all the better for it. shame some of the other ideas didnt pan out as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Just watched all the folks on the 1up show complain about how Nintendo is concentrating too much on the casual market. I guess they didn't get the memo? Instead they rave about all the "hardcore" games that Sony and Microsoft are offering.

I guess I'm not hardcore enough, because I certainly am not excited by a collection of identical, bleak, In-a-World FPSes and gritty racers. I mean, Haze? Seriously?

See, the thing about Haze is that it's by the guys who did Timesplitters and Second Sight, giving it the benefit of the doubt.

And I don't think Nintendo is concentrating too much on the casual market, but I don't think they're concentrating enough on actual gamers. It's possible to have both, isn't it?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I never played the multiplayer (sad), I agree that the crosshairs are a mistake. Even without multiplayer, it is obvious that this will completely change the way one uses the SPNKR, which was kind of sad. Aesthetically they look out of place, and clutter what is otherwise nice and clean. Hopefully it's possible to turn them off, as this aside, it looks like a nice port that I will unfortunately never play.

At the very least it's not even close to as bad as the Prince of Persia Remake.

In terms of Nintendo, it seems to me that as with the DS, they have focused on first establishing themselves with the casual market. Once they release a Mario game, the bar for less casual games will be raised significantly, and we will see a glut of quality, more traditional software.

Until then, kind of seems like a good time for me to visit/revisit older games...Fallout and Metalstorm, for instance.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Quote:
I remember the comments to my review on Ocean's 13, where someone said that you needed to see Ocean's 12 because there's a critical scene with an antagonist from 12 and you'd never understand the movie without that.

This reminds me of the time my wife went to see the Lizzie McGuire movie with her little sister, and afterwards her sister said to her, "Now, I know you don't watch the show, but did you get it?" Yeah, it's really not that complicated.

Wes, please don't ever use the phrase "actual gamers". What you really mean is "me". Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dongle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

made my day; thanks.

is Everyday Shooter going to be a PSN exclusive? I'm, uh, starting to feel the PS3.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Quote:
I remember the comments to my review on Ocean's 13, where someone said that you needed to see Ocean's 12 because there's a critical scene with an antagonist from 12 and you'd never understand the movie without that.

This reminds me of the time...

This reminds me of the entire MG4 trailer.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
In terms of Nintendo, it seems to me that as with the DS, they have focused on first establishing themselves with the casual market. Once they release a Mario game, the bar for less casual games will be raised significantly, and we will see a glut of quality, more traditional software.

Hey, yeah! This is what I was expecting too. I knew 2007 was going to be slow going.

Was anyone else thoroughly creeped out by the Resident Evil 5 trailer? Holy sweet god that was disturbing. I can't wait, but I want Wii controls. :-(
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Marathon folk, Marathon: Resurrection, a total conversion for the original Unreal Tournament, has been released.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: