The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the dessgeega buys an xbox360 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this trailer for it is pretty awesome, compares the PC, genesis and 360 versions.

PoP 360 trailer

I've heard mixed things, most have been favorable though. The new 3D intro kinda sucks. the hints you see in the trailer can be turned off!
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, it looks pretty ugly, especially compared to the clean appearance of the original game. it looks like they just drenched everything in lighting effects. also what's up with the glowing icons on switches and that "butterfly"? do they think players are idiots?

maybe i'll try the demo!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can turn the icons and butterflys off! they are for idiots!

although, yeah, i don't really like how it looks either. i like the original PC graphics over anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, it really looks terrible. The Sands of Time aesthetics really missed the mark. Seeing them grafted on to the first game is almost comical.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think it looks terrible, terrible, but it's not as charming as the original. Honestly, I didn't really like what I played of it. I like the more forgiving controls and I actually don't mind the butterfly, but there's just something about it that gives it a cruddy aura. I was pumped about it before I played it, but now that I've tried it I think I'd be fine skipping out on this one.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.

gack.

i guess i should turn it on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

wow.

I never got one of those. Now I kind of wish I'd waited.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where were you when dessgeega got an xbox?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let it be known to the ages that the first xbox game i bought was doom, and the first i played was pac-man. wow, it's really good. then i played through episode 1 of doom. i've got the prince of persia demo downloaded. i will play it later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so prince of persia is awful. it's hideous and awkward, and even if you turn hints off, switch plates still glow - orange for ones that open doors, red for ones that close them. the gameloft really does think players are idiots. they don't think players are very persistant either - there are checkpoints in the middle of stages now.

so, the xbox. the dashboard is clunky to navigate and pretty ugly - and, most damningly, it plays ads. the d-pad is worthless, and i've been using the left analog stick to play pac-man. the sticks are actually very nice, but pac-man is clearly a game designed for digital control and sometimes the stick just isn't precise enough for what i want to do.

the virtual keyboard is an incredible pain to use. smartly, you can use the free microphone to send voice messages instead of "typing", but they only let you record like ten seconds!

the xbox really stands out from my other hardware, being the only "current-gen" console i now own. it's interesting. i like having a console that is online, one that lets me communicate with people and download games. doom and pac-man are great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the d-pad is worthless

I was playing SNES today and thinking about how that was the last d-pad experience I actively enjoyed. How hard is it to make a decent one, anyway?
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people keep trying to do something with a concept that was basically a compromise in the first place (hi gunpei). in the age of pac-man 360 and whatever else (whatever else being new games journalism) it's really beginning to seem like d-pads should be left by the wayside about as much as it seems like games companies ought to stop being celebrated for making regressive 2D "action platformers" (were the ducktales game released in 2007 it would need at least two words to describe its genre; maybe three) when there's not a soul on the planet that's played every fun game in the NES library and the designers could be trying something new for a change.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
How hard is it to make a decent one, anyway?

It's a piece of cake assuming that you just copy the saturn d-pad directly.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
I want Pac-Man C.E. But 800 points is a fucking joke.

so my considered opinion is that if you're willing to pay sixty dollars for gears of rawr, you shouldn't have a problem paying eight for pac-man championship edition. it is honestly one of the best thought-out commercial games i've played in years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished extra mode 3 for the first time, and that was heart-thumpingly, exhileratingly great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

played some demos.

shadowrun is sort of interesting. clicking through menus while being shot at is too much for me to deal with. probably the better part of the criticism directed at the game will be that, as basically an fps, it's not a very thorough implementation of the shadowrun world. i'm okay with that, though - the game is more important than the license. (see ghost in the shell, and wes's article on it.) and if i want to play a videogame version of pen and paper shadowrun, there's always the genny game.

time pilot is hideous, it's also 400 points which is exactly how many i have left. apparently i can turn the original graphics back on and there's multiplayer? hmm.

worms. i will play someone at worms. that is a perfect game for live arcade multiplayering. how do i buy online time, anyway? i assume it's here in the dashboard somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i just finished extra mode 3 for the first time, and that was heart-thumpingly, exhileratingly great.

What is the third extra mode? You don't mention it on the blog.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two challenge modes, and then three extra modes. extra mode 3 was the last one i finished - the mazes are small and it gets very fast at the end (the goal, at least initially, is to survive for ten minutes). there's another mode where the mazes are wide open. the extra modes are really just themed sets of mazes, but they're pretty neat to play through.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crystal quest. i hate how they turned it into just another lackluster live arcade robotron shooter. it's extra terrible when they let you play the original game and it's just so much tighter than the remake could hope to be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something weird about doom: the tower in episode 2 doesn't get built. even when you finally reach it, it's only half-finished.

i spent my last 400 points on geometry wars. it's still hard to dodge enemies because the screen tends to fill with unintelligible sparkly vectors. it's still probably the best shooter on live right now, at least until they let jeff minter but llamatron up for download (this is not a rumor but a furtive wish). i should try smash t.v. at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

the gameloft really does think players are idiots.

its pretty much a golden rule of design in big studios (the ones i worked at anyway) to assume the player is an idiot.

but its usualy something that is demanded by the client.
but ubisoft (gameloft is ubisoft-owned) has this amazing thing called "the editorial", which is a board of idiots, apointed by the company to act pretty much exactly like a client would! they have power of life and death over everything to do and you must bend to their every wills.

i loved sands of time tho.
did you know that when that team started working on the project, the game being passed around and played all tha time as being "the game to beat", and was basicly used as a point of reference for almost everything was ICO.

"ico with badass combat". "and time travel!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad the combat in sands of time is terrible.

i enjoyed the non-fighting bits, though. jordan mechner makes anything he touches that much more charming.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished doom (at least, the original episodes), and picked up the nightmare achievement while i was at it. who wants to play me online?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought: used copy of half-life 2, online. (six bucks.) considering purchase: serious sam, panzer dragoon orta. provide feedback, offer further suggestions, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
bought: used copy of half-life 2, online. (six bucks.) considering purchase: serious sam, panzer dragoon orta. provide feedback, offer further suggestions, etc.

Serious Sam is a game that I could only really see playing with other people. And I'm not sure if the Xbox version has live play or not.

Orta's not bad, but it's not as good as Zwei or Saga.

You might like Fable. You can only play as a guy, but you can be gay if you work really hard at getting a guy to like you. Also you can get Tattoos. It doesn't do everything Molyneux promised, but it's a lot more ambitious than what came before, and that makes it at least worth looking at. Also it's hella cheap.

Jet Set Radio works on the 360 now. It's not as tight as the first one, but it plays a lot faster. It's pretty good.

Phantom Dust is something like $5. And it's really neat! It's got great atmosphere and I'm pretty sure it's by ex-Panzer Dragoon people.

Psychonauts is grand, but I'm pretty sure you've played it already. If not, here you go.

Silent Hill 4 is great, but I don't think you like Survival Horror games for some reason.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is just behind Crackdown for most sheer awesomeness in a sandbox title.

Ninja Gaiden maybe. It's really pretty amazing. Just really difficult, often feeling unfairly so. Black might fix this, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for certain.

And that's really all I can see you maybe digging out of the BC list.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so prince of persia is awful. it's hideous and awkward, and even if you turn hints off, switch plates still glow - orange for ones that open doors, red for ones that close them. the gameloft really does think players are idiots. they don't think players are very persistant either - there are checkpoints in the middle of stages now.

I personally find this remake to really enjoyable. I agree completely that the Butterfly and Button Icons are lame, but the butterflys appearence is really sparatic. Some levels it shows up like 3 times in a row, other you never see it.

But I am curious as to why you say its "awkward", do you mean control? Because I feel it controls ten times better than any version I have played. I played two versions of the original and wanted to pull my hair out having to deal with how the Prince walks. Plus they did things like making the prince automatically turn around if you want to jump to a ladge that you are facing away from.
fish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Orta is awesome.
its one of those very very few games that ill just replay every year or so.
its gorgeous. in that panzer dragoon artsy kinda way.

and yeah, if you havent played psychonauts yet, you owe it to yourself.
its COMPLETELY flawed game and level design wise. completely.
its an entire game designed by artists. but EVERYTHING ELSE about the game more than makes up for the derivative gameplay. everything. its candy.

true story: the guy who lived in flat before i did designed a few levels for the game!
i think that makes me famous.

and one more vote for JSRF. i actually like it more than the first. maybe.

and seriously, get yourself some crackdown. atleats get the demo. its free!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
But I am curious as to why you say its "awkward", do you mean control? Because I feel it controls ten times better than any version I have played. I played two versions of the original and wanted to pull my hair out having to deal with how the Prince walks. Plus they did things like making the prince automatically turn around if you want to jump to a ladge that you are facing away from.

when i say prince of persia is awkward, i'm not referring to the control (which i didn't get the opportunity to really experiment with) but more to the imposition of the sands of time prince into jordan mechner's original game, and the subsequent reskinning of the entire palace to look like that prince's palace. the results are sort of ungainly. jordan mechner's level design and sands of time's oversaturated visuals aren't really a neat match.

SuperWes wrote:
You can only play as a guy, but you can be gay if you work really hard at getting a guy to like you. Also you can get Tattoos.

okay awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
and yeah, if you havent played psychonauts yet, you owe it to yourself.
its COMPLETELY flawed game and level design wise. completely.
its an entire game designed by artists. but EVERYTHING ELSE about the game more than makes up for the derivative gameplay. everything. its candy.

i've played it! and i'm not really convinced that the character and design make up for the frustrating, derivative gameplay.

and i'm downloading the crackdown demo right now. or i would be if my xbox were on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
and i'm downloading the crackdown demo right now. or i would be if my xbox were on.

NOTE: In the latest firmware you can set stuff to download while your system is off and then automatically turn the system off when everything's done downloading. You just have to go into one of the submenus and turn it on. FUCK YEAH!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
when i say prince of persia is awkward, i'm not referring to the control (which i didn't get the opportunity to really experiment with) but more to the imposition of the sands of time prince into jordan mechner's original game, and the subsequent reskinning of the entire palace to look like that prince's palace. the results are sort of ungainly. jordan mechner's level design and sands of time's oversaturated visuals aren't really a neat match.

Condsidering the game has been ported about 100 times, and lots of those all reskined the game, and even changed the appearence of the Prince I have no problems with them doing it yet again in this game. The game looks really great, and the palace itself is really lavish and the dungeons are really damp and dark. Plus its not all covered in that bloom effect like Sands of Time is.

I loaded up the NES version the other day, that version looks like weird ice palace dungeon or something. Or even like a minimalist computer world, the prince is wearing a white sleevless jump suit. I grew up with the Mac version, and that looks different from the original and lots of other ports as well.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall of Beef wrote:
Condsidering the game has been ported about 100 times, and lots of those all reskined the game, and even changed the appearence of the Prince I have no problems with them doing it yet again in this game.

yeah, and most of those reskinnings are pretty ugly! or at least lacking in the elegance of the dos version. which is the one that the nes version most resembles, with the white jumpsuit prince. i think the graphics of the mac version are based on prince of persia 2, as are - vaguely - a bunch of the console ports.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember whatever i version i had on some old black and white mac to be absolutely unplayable.

true story: prince of persia next gen was almost a first person game.
for immersion's sake.
because you know, cant be immersive in third person.

fuck i hate ubisoft.

also, dessgeega, check your messages.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
true story: prince of persia next gen was almost a first person game.
for immersion's sake.

Sounds awesome! Not sure how it could be a Prince of Persia game though. Jumping and climbing are pretty much impossible to get right in first person.

The SNES one is the darkest and dungeonesque of any version that I've seen. Most versions use solid colors for the characters and have simple, very-few-color backgrounds, but the SNES version uses a lot of colors but they're all dark ones, making it very dreary feeling. It was published by Konami for some reason!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
NOTE: In the latest firmware you can set stuff to download while your system is off and then automatically turn the system off when everything's done downloading. You just have to go into one of the submenus and turn it on. FUCK YEAH!

WOO DOWNLOADING THINGS YEAH!

i turn off the surge protector whenever i'm not playing a game, though. i presume the xbox can't download things when it has no power.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i turn off the surge protector whenever i'm not playing a game, though. i presume the xbox can't download things when it has no power.

You'd be surprised!

Oh wait, no you wouldn't... In any case, I'm just excited about this because I tried it this weekend for the first time under my super secret Japanese account. Having a super secret japanese account allows you to download super secret Japanese demos like "Vampire's Rain" (which is terrible beyond belief (but still better than Project Silpheed)).

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vampire's rain!
HAHA!
HAHAHA!
HAHAHAHA!

oh man, that thing was one of the most elaborate joke i've ever seen.
it tries SO hard to be slinter cell with vampires.
right down to pretty much every little animation.
a friend of mine who worked on a bunch of SCs showed it to me.
its really quite amazing.
id love to see a side by side comparison one day.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:

Not true!

In Splinter Cell if you jump near a ledge you grab it and pull yourself up. In Vampire's Rain if you jump near a ledge you don't actually grab it unless you're already standing next to it and pressing up against it while you jump. It's so bad.

Also when you get seen by a vampire they wave their arms in the air and run toward you until they hit you twice killing you immediately.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
fish wrote:

Not true!

In Splinter Cell if you jump near a ledge you grab it and pull yourself up. In Vampire's Rain if you jump near a ledge you don't actually grab it unless you're already standing next to it and pressing up against it while you jump. It's so bad.

Also when you get seen by a vampire they wave their arms in the air and run toward you until they hit you twice killing you immediately.

-Wes

vampires always wave their arms at you in splinter cell.
Six

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Oh wait, no you wouldn't... In any case, I'm just excited about this because I tried it this weekend for the first time under my super secret Japanese account. Having a super secret japanese account allows you to download super secret Japanese demos like "Vampire's Rain" (which is terrible beyond belief (but still better than Project Silpheed)).

-Wes

Wes, you should bug relevant persons until someone gives you a PartnerNet account, because those are totally awesome.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
Wes, you should bug relevant persons until someone gives you a PartnerNet account, because those are totally awesome.

Hmm. Will these accounts work on normal Xboxen, or only debug systems? If they run on standard systems I might be able to sucker someone into hooking me up...

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it just occurred to me that they probably only work on debug boxes. I think I tried to transfer the one I had, once, and I couldn't get it to work.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You might like Fable. You can only play as a guy, but you can be gay if you work really hard at getting a guy to like you. Also you can get Tattoos. It doesn't do everything Molyneux promised, but it's a lot more ambitious than what came before, and that makes it at least worth looking at. Also it's hella cheap.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is just behind Crackdown for most sheer awesomeness in a sandbox title.

I played Fable again not that long ago. It's like a mix between a console action adventure (like banjo-kazooie) and a cRPG, except it doesn't do anything real interesting with either direction. It sure gets old fast, though. I'd only get it if it were REAL cheap. The Lost Chapters edition, too.

Hulk also got old pretty fast. It's fun in short burts, but I wouldn't be able to play it more than two hours at the most. I still think Spider-Man 2 is the best comic inspired sandbox game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fable is garbage, as far as im concerned.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:

vampires always wave their arms at you in splinter cell.

elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist. (left, right, left, right, B, A, Start?)
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i think the graphics of the mac version are based on prince of persia 2.

I don't think this is the case. Pretty sure that the Mac version was released around the same time as the DOS version, and definitely before The Shadow and the Flame. I remember watching a friend play the game on his PC, and thinking that the Mac version looked noticeably better. Something about the pixels or resolution seemed more precise; a good match for the meticulous gameplay.

Oh: actually this explains things nicely.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great link, thanks.

I kind of like the original white-suited character. I always thought he looked a bit like Luke Skywalker from the first movie, and without the turban, he's a bit more of a cipher the player can project on, ala "Understanding Comics"' take on "Tintin". Then again, he was the first one I met (had time I had to kill on a trip to Portugal in 1992, got through Prince of Persia (on my own! no help around back then... ) and a surprisingly great port of Ironman Offroad Racing) so maybe I'm biased.

Back to the link... the plethora of old ports reminds me of a (perpetually stalled?) effort to port the game to the Atari 2600:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64948
There was some argument about whether the goal was to be as close to the original with the frames of animation, or get a more iconically atari look into it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i guess the shadow and the flame prince is based on the mac prince, then?

further questions: am i the only person who finds the snes port really ugly?

i've actually been playing the original prince in dosbox for the past few days, and i can't for the life of me get past level 8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
Oh: actually this explains things nicely.

Wow. This is a great link! I'm flipping out about the Genesis version looking so much better than the Sega CD version (and even a bit better than the SNES version). What the hell happened there?

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: