The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LJ strikethrough '07: fans are upset!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antitype

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: LJ strikethrough '07: fans are upset! Reply with quote

http://news.livejournal.com/99159.html
http://news.livejournal.com/99515.html

Basically, LJ/SixApart decided (or were pressured to) delete all journals deemed in support of child abuse, pedophilia, rape, etc. — lo and behold, hundreds of fandom journals were taken out in the process, and fanfiction writers everywhere were up in arms. Even now that the fandom journals and communities have been restored, they're still bitching. They can't "trust" LJ/SixApart anymore, and they feel they've been humiliated and libeled. Some tread dangerous ground by defending pedophiles (drawing a line between pedophiles who "suffer" with their "disease" and actual child molesters (and the person who made this post admits to being a pedophile in his profile (he also claims to be a soulbond (read: he is fucking batty)))).

One person spoke some sense: "However, my concern is that many people have complained to you about journals and communities with illegal content for years and have been told the standard 'there is no evidence they are committing a crime so they stay' repeatedly. It seemed now that when someone came along threatening to go to the advertisers with screen shots of these sites that a mass deletion occurred and there are still pedophiles out there on lj. I am just upset that all the reasonable people out there were ignored and that you listened to a right wing nut job instead of us. That is where my disappointment truly lies."

If anything that's the only decent reason to get a little miffed at LJ/6A (and the WFI group that apparently caused this), but come on. The comments in these two posts almost make me embarrassed that I even have a LJ (though I manage to stay well out of the way of all this stuff as long as it's not clogging up news posts).

Fans. Ah.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty shameful on the part of livejournal, but i'm not going to mourn the loss of anything fandom-related.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sites Warriors for Innocence were aiming for were how-to-guides and "tell me stories of how you fucked your daughter". They are prissy, but LiveJournal went overboard and and banned everything from lolita-gothica to survivor/support groups. They're more to blame, which isn't particularly new by their standards of incompetence. If you listed rape as an interest on your LiveJournal user profile, it should not come to any surprise to you that someone, someday was going to come round knocking. Protesting against Warriors of Innocence on an LJ URL is even stupider, however.

Piss poor business all around, but then again it's not like LJ is a service essential to living. Nor is it its users property, no matter how many deluded fetishists scream First Amendment or human rights (Of course, 99% of the blather one is likely to hear about the First Amendment comes from people who don't know the difference between "entitled" and "protected"; nor do they know anything about the concept of natural rights, which is pure nonsense anyway).

P.S. That guy is a fucking idiot.

Last edited by Dracko on Thu May 31, 2007 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the topic, is there any quick way to back up a Live Journal?

I'm going to be shifting over to wordpress soon (when I get some promised help) and would like to attempt to put my back up on it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ryan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for a livejournal account so thatbox would know who I was when I commented on his stuff - hey, thatbox! - but I didn't find the service too useful. What's the differences between something like it and wordpress? I read the ultima blog and it used what looks to be traditional blogging software. Are the differences all that much different, or is it more about what sort of community you want to belong to?

Also, a weird aside: A friend of mine used to run The Mushroom. He ran an article about a NAMBLA add-on for The Sims. Wow. Apparently the over-the-top nature completely escaped some people and he received some disturbing (and voluminous) email.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only really useful thing about livejournal is having a page where stuff your friends have written pops up. it's good if you post irregularly and have a bunch of friends who use it - i keep up with a lot of people i don't regularly see anymore like this.

the ultima blog uses blogger, which is one of the first blogging kits i remember. i use wordpress for my current blog, and though there are some weird things with it it works pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
While we're on the topic, is there any quick way to back up a Live Journal?

Bug Nana until she builds a totally sweet robot to do it for you?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pretty shameful on the part of livejournal, but i'm not going to mourn the loss of anything fandom-related.

amen.

also, they restored a bunch of them already?

or is this part of the usual "my obsessive hobby doesn't get me riches, social approval and/or blowjobs and therefore i am oppressed" thing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely steering clear of LJ and getting a Wordpress account after I plan it out. It seems more respectable in every way.

Shaper, I know that WP features nice import/export tools, according to their site, but I don't know anything about LJ. In this day and age, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a fairly simple way to do an export.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in a while, I remember why I keep track of Something Awful.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Once in a while, I remember why I keep track of Something Awful.

Quote:
"I don't understand what you say, but I will fight for my life to defend it."
- John Voltaire

Ironic, isn't it? That LiveJournal would forget these very words that our printed in our constitution? I wish there was an "I told you so" emoticon, because I would post it loud and post it proud. Perhaps some of you remember a certain debacle last February wherein yours truly was forced to take down from LiveJournal some of his ART that might have offended plebes of the lower realms of taste? How puritanical has this country become when images of a nine-penised Minotaur having his way with a buxom lass trapped in his labyrinth (check your mythology books, kids) have become "offensive?"

That was way better than the recent youtube-comment articles.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because it's all true, from icons to handles to writing style to vapid and misguided opinions. Number 42 indeed.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something awful is truly the king of low-hanging fruits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell if the comments are real and simply compiled by SA or made by SA Goons and their ilk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: