The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal Reply with quote

this message crashes my computer, often while i am playing sexy freeware games. what's it mean?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had to guess it might be a sound driver issue. or something else but i'm hunching in that direction. are you using dosbox? does it happen under vdms?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think it's ever happened while using dosbox. it could be a sound driver issue, because my computer makes horrible screeching noises when it happens.

what's vdms?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick googling on that error seems to indicate that a lot of people get it and they get it for a variety of reasons, including overheating systems and/or corrupted drivers for one of your expansion cards. For the former, I would check to make sure that your fans aren't getting stuck or are working at all. For the latter, I would possibly reinstall the drivers? Although that can get messy.

Also apparently ZoneAlarm can cause this to happen, if you're running it. And bad RAM! Man, there are a lot of possible causes.
Quick Shot II Turbo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error has forced me to reinstall xp more than once. Up to this day I've never been able to figure out why I got it and how I/it managed to fuck up my Windows install so badly that it wouldn't even boot in Safe Mode.

But yeah, as Scratchmonkey said, start checking every driver you've installed recently. Checking the Device Manager for any errors is a good start.
Six

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the gang that, along with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and a dirty half-dozen more, this computer has been plagued with. I figured it might be some sort of driver issue since I ran a whole battery of diagnostics and everything came up clean, but a reinstall of Windows hasn't helped.

This is the first time we've bought from Dell, and it's probably the last time we ever will: the problem occurred more or less right out of the box. They did offer to make an exchange, but only after some painful hours with tech support assuring them that I tried every possible solution.

Also, hey TGQ.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey six.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yeah, this is a computer overheating problem. i have a box fan pointed at my computer right now, and it's fine. i moved the fan last night, while my computer was shutting down, and instantly got the error screen. so i guess the mystery's solved!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very much worth it to see if your case fans are having issues or if there's some crud on the cards that's causing some sort of issue, since that would probably be better in the long run than just running an outside fan at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: