The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

genre gorging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: genre gorging Reply with quote

so i've been playing half-life 2 quite a bit lately, specifically ravenholm, the introduction and the nova prospekt chapters. got a new videocard on a whim to celebrate my vacation and picked up a few titles to go with it, all fps stuff. doom 3, far cry and halo (which i can't actually play because it don't like the 5500 series of nvidia cards, so if someone wants it...)

half-life 2 is trying to be a watchowski/our scumbag future kinda thing

and far cry is a jerry bruckheimer "IN A WORLD..." type game

and doom 3 is a ewe boll masterofsuspense experience (i think, i haven't really tried it yet)

but they're all kinda stuck with what they have to do. half life 2 is the only one which really tries to be more than what it is, specifically the introduction sequence. 1984+the handmaids tale+every other dystopian future novel and movie tossed into a blender. and it does it without crossing over into an rpg hybrid or anything like that. it's not that it tells a great story in the least, but that it makes you feel it, just a bit. a twinge of grey creep, and the only vestiges of civil society pre-combine are a crazy russian priest, empty coastal shanty houses and a prison/torture center. it's actually communicating something, i think, beyond shoot kill shoot. looping that endlessly weeping woman and endlessly pitying man at both the intro and the beginnings of the uprising...they clearly made it exactly the same for a reason. maybe that reason is to demonstrate how useless some women are when it comes to fighting an alien invasion, but somehow i don't think so.

far cry is hilarious. it is an absolutely hilarious game, and i want to believe it's that way on purpose. so i'm going to assume it is, because it's the most realistic jerry bruckheimer movie ever...in that you die every 3 seconds, but get to try again and again and again. even on easy it's damn near impossible. i can't imagine how difficult hard must be.

doom 3 has a pretty neat intro, but the whole demons devils ooga booga look out there's a zombie with a handgun dude thing is, at first glance, kinda stupid. i'm hoping it gets better. it's a beautiful game, however. they're all beautiful games, in their own ways. hl2 is very efficient in that sense.

anyway, one point is that first person games are excellent for creating a certain kind of mood, and in a way are better at cinematic stuff than most action movies. unless you're counting those prone to motion sickness, is there a better way to sort of cheat and suck in your audience than using that pov?

sidenote: why is it so easy to get competent voice acting - if ridiculous, still appropriate - for games like this and final fantasy x get's dorkwad and co.?
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strength of both Half Life and Half Life 2 is that they never lose sight of the immediate moment, wherever you are. So even when the narrative gets downright wacky, you are still compelled to move on.

Your assessment of Doom 3 is spot on. You probably shouldn't bother playing it, it's a waste of time/hard drive space/marketing effort/human capital/etc.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: genre gorging Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
anyway, one point is that first person games are excellent for creating a certain kind of mood, and in a way are better at cinematic stuff than most action movies. unless you're counting those prone to motion sickness, is there a better way to sort of cheat and suck in your audience than using that pov?

Play Killer 7. There's the answer to your question. After an hour of playing it I was already dreaming in that game's point of view.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly enough, i was very disappointed when i found out it was a 3rd person game. i will check it out when it becomes economically feasible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till the last boss-but-not-really and final level of Far Cry. Totally ridiculous difficulty. I was laughing.

I really do enjoy Half-Life 2. I think it's excellent. I have a fairly insane PC (the SLI stuff, all the trimmings) and playing it at 1600x1200 resolution with no jagged edges or shimmer on any 3D surfaces -- well it's really nice to look at, basically. Besides that, I think the action is great. How the hovering 'Man Saw' drones bounce off walls as their guidance systems fail them (that's the clear impression given, anyway, not game pathfinding failure) in tight spaces. Just the shooting itself is superb. It's "hard". It has a "punch". The Halo games, the Pariahs, Project Snowblind - they have gunplay that feels soft. That critical connection you feel between the first person perspective and the release of firepower into an enemy or object feels soft in those games. In Half-Life 2, and I think they captured it in Doom 3, that connection feels like it has a real physical effect. It's raw; not so contrived. Like the rocket launcher in Half-Life 2: it has this sort of frightening velocity and impact.

So besides the rather affecting story and character devices used and all those lovely visuals, Half-Life 2 feels really great, inside that world and inside that action. The physics aren't "ooh, look!" so much as "ah yes, this completes the environment nicely". I also like that there are no cut-scenes and you never leave the first person perspective, ever. I decided last year that it was one of the finest games I'd ever played. I like first person done well, and I like action stuff. It's probably the best use of the POV in an action game yet. 3 or 4 years ago, had you asked me if I could ever take a FPS game seriously enough, no matter how cool it was, for it to be a favorite - I might have giggled.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
oddly enough, i was very disappointed when i found out it was a 3rd person game. i will check it out when it becomes economically feasible.

camera angle! did RE4 teach you nothing?

also: Far Cry gets much easier (but also slows down even more) if you use rocks. I played through it before they introduced quicksaves in patches, and I'd say you should do the same. the quicksave allows this terrible thing where you can think "oh, I'll just step left here instead of right," instead of creeping toward the enemy camp, slowly taking a few out and then completing the segment goal and running the fuck away in a jeep before it gets too hot.

the last level, and the lava one too, were (I think unintentional) puzzle levels. they were about maneuvering in a closed space, the boundaries of which were the triggers of further enemy attention.

oh, and I'm pretty sure HL2 has the best sound I've ever heard in a game.
Blazehedgehog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
far cry is hilarious. it is an absolutely hilarious game, and i want to believe it's that way on purpose. so i'm going to assume it is, because it's the most realistic jerry bruckheimer movie ever...in that you die every 3 seconds, but get to try again and again and again. even on easy it's damn near impossible. i can't imagine how difficult hard must be.

Totally the feeling I got from the demo. The Radio Banter, the stupid things grunts yell at you ("I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE!"), Jack's Hawaiian Shirt... it's big, dumb, over-the-top, Jerry Bruckheimer fun.

The only thing I didn't like about HL2 is it's AI. Like HL1, which supposedly has this super amazing squad tactical AI, HL2 supposedly has this amazing "threat level evaluation" system and all this stuff. I never see any of that stuff; the enemies stand around and wait for me just the same; and when they see me, they seem to practically go out of their way to stand infront of my crosshair. I never really saw any intelligence there, even if they had it.

Halo, on the other hand, lets you see the little glimmers of intelligence. Duck behind an object, circle around the enemy, and they'll be looking for where you went - letting you sneak up behind them and smack'em one. Elites dodge and roll with the best of them. Even if it doesn't have super fancy pathfinding or real-time threat level evaluation or any of the stuff Valve claimed was in HL2, it does a good job convincing you that you're fighting against living creatures.

I really like FarCry's AI best, though. You can do remarkable things with the FarCry Grunt AI. They're just... so aware. It's really a tense moment when a grunt hears you, and comes to investigate - but you duck inside of a bush. He gets right up to your face, sometimes, and your heart is pounding, and there's sweat on your brow, and you're praying he's not gonna see you. "Huh. Must've been seeing things." And he walks away. And just... everything else about the. How you can fake them out, how they get wise to you, how they form search parties... out of all the game AI I've seen, they seem to be the most visibly intelligent.

Quote:
oh, and I'm pretty sure HL2 has the best sound I've ever heard in a game.

Agreed. It blew me away just how good the game sounded. Not a whole lot of games have done that.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music's a little generic. That's the only real problem.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
The music's a little generic. That's the only real problem.

I didn't really pay much attention to the music, but things like the strider and manatee-ship noises were perfect, and the screaming zombies really gave me a gutpunch of "there are people under there!" and still make me cringe every time I off one.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing ravenholm on headphones for the first time on a cold winter morning at 3 a.m. was definitely rapture-inducing. the way those pipes would shake and that RAAAAARRRGGGHHHAAAAAGLLLAAAAAAAA pain-ridden zombie sound... like they want to die so badly but can't because there's this fucking thing eating what's left of their head.

Quote:
camera angle! did RE4 teach you nothing?

never played it. never played any resident evil. i'm the resident don't really play a lot of games so can only comment on like five of them made after 1995 guy.

FPS games are more effective in this case.

HL2's AI gets better on the hard setting, at least where it counts...namely nova prospekt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: