The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twilight Princess kind of sucks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
So what's next, fellas??

To stick with the bashing Twilight Princess' story, can we talk about how bad the story in Mario Kart Double Dash was?

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Kart Double Dash had pretense to a story?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wes's point was that the story doesn't matter for a Zelda game just like it doesn't matter for a Mariokart game. So, no, Double Dash did not have a pretense to a story.

I only half agree with Wes, though. I think the stories in Zelda that are important are the small ones, the people you talk to whom you help and who help you. I think those miniature ones should be subject to the most scrutiny, and ultimately redeem the game or not.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Wes' point is wrong because Zelda obviously wants to tell a story.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

At what point did this happen? Was it in Zelda 1 where the story was "Find 8 triforce pieces and save the princess" (this was only in the manual), Zelda 2, where the story was "Defeat Gannon and wake the sleeping princess" (this was only in the manial and was only really established when you died), Zelda 3, where the story was "kill Gannon and wake the princess who has been turned to stone" (this was established in-game, but most of the game has nothing to do with it)?

I don't deny the fact that Twilight Princess has a deeper storyline, but the fact that it falls apart here and there has little effect on the overall game itself. I'll admit that it's a bit disappointing when everything else is so polished, but it doesn't mean the game's merits (merits which have nothing to do with story) have falter for it.

If Zelda games are good because of their stories you might as well just read the instruction manual for one and two over and over again.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link's Awakening might have been responsible for this. Or the CD-I games.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Dracko wrote:

At what point did this happen?

SuperWes wrote:
I don't deny the fact that Twilight Princess has a deeper storyline

Then why the tirade?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Dracko wrote:

At what point did this happen?

SuperWes wrote:
I don't deny the fact that Twilight Princess has a deeper storyline

Then why the tirade?

I guess it just seems like the stories in Zelda are always kinda vague, fill-in-the-blank yourself elements of the game. The Twilight Princess story is no different overall, but happens to be more detailed than usual. Maybe it's because there are so many more details and the main-game is so completely linear or maybe it's just that gamer's expectations of a story have evolved in the 20ish years since Zelda, but people seem to have been looking for a deeper story in Twilight Princess than they have in the past.

Conclusion: Mario Kart needs an Adventure mode next time.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that I started with Link to the Past, I always found Zelda's storylines to be pretty explicit. It's only in the last couple of years that I've gone back to the original, been dumped in a field with no instructions and thought "Well where the fuck am I supposed to go?!"

Not that I'm saying that's bad as such. But, looking at the series as a whole, it seems like the exception rather than the rule.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got up to the second Dungeon, on Death Mountain. The minute I stepped onto Hyrule Field, I tried to explore around instead of just heading straight off to where Midna wants me to go.

Of course, you can't. Every other exit from the field has been arbitrarily blocked off.

This is pretty much indicative of the whole game, so far. I haven't yet found somewhere where I thought "Awesome, I'm not supposed to be here, and there's nothing I can do here yet, I'll have to come back later". At least OoT had the decency to let you go somewhere and realise you couldn't do shit there until you had [insert item here.]

Midna, too, is really beginning to bug me. She's the biggest example of a railroading piece of deus ex mechanic ever. She can do practically anything she wants and yet she keeps hammering it in that you have to do it, which, when she's walking you through pointless little scenarios of which there is only one acceptable outcome, I personally find fairly condescending and certainly quite annoying.

Unlike many other games which at least make me feel like I'm in control, even when I'm actually not.. Twilight Princess is giving me a very strong vibe of being just a pawn in a story. I'm hoping this will change, and I'm definitely going to finish it because despite these gripes I am quite enjoying it, but still.

Also, they totally didn't even bother getting new music for the Goron city. Come on.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'i;m gonna stick my balls in the table \and write my definitive views on this in the SotC thread. See you there!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing the GC version again. I was lost after the plot stuff following the Water Temple but with some help from Dess I figured out what I needed to do next.

I've come to the conclusion that I think I like the wolf portions of the game more than the Link parts. Sadly at this point I'm worried that switching into wolf mode will just be a gimmick for the rest of the game, and the Arbiter's Grounds has done nothing to change my opinion of this.

Also, the Spinner might be the coolest item added to a Zelda game in a while.

Does anyone else care about this game anymore seeing how most of you have beaten it already?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started playing it again after taking a break. I'm in the Snowpeak Ruins right now. It's been a highlight!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got there myself! But now I'm stopping for the night since it's 5 am.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now I left my game on as I was typing my last post and there was a second introduction video that had all sorts of scenes from parts of the game I've beaten (with spoilers). Can anyone else confirm that there's some sort of unlockable intro video? Will more get added to it as I progress further in the game? In any event. this is pretty neat!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I need to start playing again. I'm at Snowpeak too, guys! Well, I will be if I can ever manage to catch one of those friggin' reekfish.

But yeah, I stopped playing for about a week and then picked it back up yesterday. I can see where people are coming from with their complaints, but I'm still having a really good time with the game.
internisus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Just now I left my game on as I was typing my last post and there was a second introduction video that had all sorts of scenes from parts of the game I've beaten (with spoilers). Can anyone else confirm that there's some sort of unlockable intro video? Will more get added to it as I progress further in the game? In any event. this is pretty neat!

You mean the teaser with the orchestrated music? It's there from the first day you plug the game in, if you leave the title screen alone. I love it, personally. I watched it over and over at numerous times.

About the music, in general I felt that the game's music was lacking, though I see what they were going for with new uses of familiar melodies like the Kokiri Forest theme and the classic evil music on the way to the last boss. However, some new music was wonderful, especially the peaceful Midna's Theme that plays after you defeat a boss.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Also, the Spinner might be the coolest item added to a Zelda game in a while.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is because it's totally new.

I'd like to have seen it used more in the overworld. I liked the Jet Set Radio style rollercoaster moments in the arbiter's grounds, and would like to have had a grind circuit around the towns, and so on.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm almost done! I basically played all day today beating all three of the mirror pieces dungeons and the Palace of Twilight. The Snowpeak ruins was the highlight by far, and I liked the City in the Sky the least. Something about the level design just annoyed me, and I could tell right away they were giving me Another clawshot. I will say the boss of that dungeon was the best of the three.

The more i play this game, the more I can't figure out how people are managing to play it with the Wii controller. It feels like the game was made for the Gamecube controller (and well, it was) and I understand they had a lot of time to tweak the wii controls, but I can't wrap my mind around the idea of shaking a remote for 40 hours. The game just feels too natural with the GC controller.

Also, the return of the gigantic hand in the palace of twilight amused me quite a bit.

I still want a full-size plush Midna ;_;
dmauro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with the music when you do the downhill race with the yeti? It sounds like shmụp music and is very un-Zelda-like but completely awesome.

internisus wrote:
You mean the teaser with the orchestrated music?

For those of you with Daigasso! Band Brothers, here's a link to the song from the teaser that you can download and play in Band Brothers (if you have and Action Replay or flash card or something).

edit: edited because shmụps and shooters are different

Last edited by dmauro on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, haven't read much of this thread, since I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers. But I just wanted to say....

I started out hating the game due to the fuck-awful fishing portion in the beginning. Though things have gotten better, though I'm still not 100% comfortable with the controls, but then again, I am playing the Cube version. But thing have slowly been getting better and better, and I find myself really enjoying the game, due primairly to its fine Zelda feel, which I know many have complained about, but I personally don't mind the classic elements, since much of it has been refined quite nicely.

Though I gotta say, I find the wolf parts pretty lacking (and I figured it would be the coolest part too). In fact, I dare say they flat out suck. And I'm pretty sure its not the controls, though I have to wonder if the camera is any different (i.e. better) in the Wii edition.

Maybe it gets better (I'm still relatively early on in the game), but the controls, combat, and all the quests thus far have been pretty boring and at times, needlessly frustrating. Not to mention various lapses in logic that I personally find dumb as hell, such as the switiching between sight and senses, which makes no sense to me no matter what.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fishing really that hard for people playing the GC version? I haven't had much trouble but I've noticed others listing it as a pain point.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm well past that point, I'm still super pissed about it. Then again, I like to hold grudges, even against games!
grumbel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Is the fishing really that hard for people playing the GC version?

Its not really hard, it just that it is totally pointless. On the GC all you have to do is pull the C-stick back once a fish bites, this however also happens to be pretty much the only thing you can do. You can't move left or right, do something with the other analog stick or anything, its really irritating. Also if you let go the C stick for a fraction of a second your fish is gone, which makes it quite hard to figure out what you have to do, the game doesn't seem give you any proper instruction on the fishing at all, I had to look it up in the manual to figure it out.

I wouldn't say its hard at all, just quite a bit irritating.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing with your own pole is really pretty terrible, but if you do it at the fishing hole it's actually pretty nice and relaxing. Has anyone else here actually visited the fishing hole? It's so pretty Smile I also like the owners enthusiasm!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Fishing with your own pole is really pretty terrible, but if you do it at the fishing hole it's actually pretty nice and relaxing. Has anyone else here actually visited the fishing hole? It's so pretty Smile I also like the owners enthusiasm!

yeah, it more or less felt like an nice apology for the mandatory fishing segments, which personally gave me the most grief of anything in the game Sad
B coma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
And I'm pretty sure its not the controls, though I have to wonder if the camera is any different (i.e. better) in the Wii edition.

There are no camera controls in the wii version, sans recentering it behind you with Z.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
'i;m gonna stick my balls in the table \and write my definitive views on this in the SotC thread. See you there!

N.B. I ended up not making good on this promise. I have no idea what it means to 'stick my balls in the table' either :|
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumbel wrote:
Nana Komatsu wrote:
Is the fishing really that hard for people playing the GC version?

Its not really hard, it just that it is totally pointless. On the GC all you have to do is pull the C-stick back once a fish bites

It's the same deal on the Wii version. You put your lure in the water, wait for it to bob down, then pull back on the Wii remote and wait. You can go left and right, but the minute you move the wiimote back forward the first drops the line and gets away. It's nowhere near as exciting as the fishing at the fishing hole.

Has anyone done the fishing hole fishing extensively? What do you get for doing well there?

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of heart. And I hear you can see the fishing girl's tits.
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time there, and I found that any pleasantness is subverted by the obvious fact that fish are more or less stationary targets. You cast your lure, and if there's nothing there right away, nothing's ever going to be there, so you immediately reel it in and cast somewhere else. The process becomes routine and gamey. Most annoying of all, I hit a ceiling on sizes for all my catches almost immediately. Everything I caught after the first half-hour at the fishing hole got tossed back. I still have no idea how to catch anything larger or to use the frog lure to get the legendary fish from the book.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's pretty much like real fishing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not at all. In real fishing, you don't zoom in your camera immediately after casting to see whether you've gotten a fish's attention or not and then immediately reel in to cast somewhere else if you haven't.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
A piece of heart.

Is this the same piece of heart that can be found on the rocks in the middle, the one you have to use the clawshot to reach?

Also, this morning I finally managed to catch a reekfish so now I can finally reach Snowpeak. However, I'm pretty close to wrapping the Malo Mart subquest (just 1100 more ruppees!) so I'm probably going to spend another couple hours trawling through dungeons that have treasure I couldn't get the first time through and doing a bit of light ruppee farming.
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how it happened, but I was steadily donating between dungeons and at some point the amount needed jumped from like 1700 to 200. Maybe someone else cared as much as I did.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that happens if you get the goron to smash down the rocks directly between castle town and the forest.

also, internisus, have you made it to the fifth dungeon yet? it's a low point for the implementation of the controls (though you're on cube so it might not matter) and a peak for everything else.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you bring normal bombs though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehhh it's not such a tremendous problem if you don't; warping to kakariko and back takes all of five minutes and anybody taking their time with the game would more than likely have a couple separate bomb bags by then anyway.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can have seperate bomb bags?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
you can have seperate bomb bags?

I have like three seperate bomb bags.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you people are nuts.

hey what's the third outfit
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
hey what's the third outfit

I don't know but I intend to find it. Even if it takes the most boring, drawn out fetch quest in any videogame ever.

Actually, I think it might be something you can purchase at Malo Mart after completing that particular subquest. Maybe. I'm really not sure.
internisus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three bomb bags when I went through the fifth dungeon. I didn't think it was so hot. The water temple and sky city were my favorites.

The third tunic is a stupid set of "magic armor" you buy at the castle town malo mart for 598 rupees. It runs on money. I'm spoiling this for you so that you don't feel as let down as I did.

Also, for anyone who is interested, when I finished the game I had about 55 hours clocked and was only seven heart pieces short of all of them. I haven't yet bothered to find all the bugs (I think I have 18 our of 24) and I only have 39 poes. I'm looking forward to spending time in the cave of ordeals but I doubt I'll ever do the rest.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internisus wrote:
It runs on money.

Huh. So, like, you can only activate it or whatever when you have money or it eats up rupees when you wear it, or what?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have like eleven poes and one bomb bag and a 300-rupee wallet. the only thing i'm somewhat interested in picking the game back up to see is the cave of ordeals. what's this about hidden grottos, though?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they're hidden, see.
Slonie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cause dess rushed didn't mean everyone else did. The grottoes are out there, sometimes behind bombable walls, sometimes accessed by digging in the ground (look for really big shiny diggin' spots). Good way to get hundreds of ruppees and/or heart pieces. The magical money armor can come in handy in the cave of ordeals, but only if you need every advantage you can get.

I think I have like 42 poes, and I ain't going back to look for more. Probably a little more than half of the bugs, too, but I ain't gonna go back for those either. Still, I had a good time.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the point of the magic armor is that by the time you've finished the necessary sidequests and bought the thing, you really don't need rupees anymore.

and yeah, i've found the heart piece collecting, bomb-bag-and-quiver-and-wallet upgrading, and whatever else to be pretty briskly paced. there is no way in hell i will find every poe, or every bug, or even every heart piece, as i'm not twelve years old anymore. however, i'm at about twenty five hours or so in the sixth dungeon, and other than an implied second quiver upgrade (which will take me all of two minutes and will be fun, if the first was any indication) i more or less have a straight slog to the end of the game from here.

like, especially as regards the poes, there's no way in hell you aren't going to find twenty while playing normally, but you have to be a total nut to get all sixty(?). that's as suitable a balance as i can think of.
david

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
internisus wrote:
It runs on money.

Huh. So, like, you can only activate it or whatever when you have money or it eats up rupees when you wear it, or what?

Yeah, that's right.

Total spoiler for the third "tunic":

Like internisus said, you can buy it at the Castle Town Malo Mart after it opens there. It's elaborate and I think vaguely Roman-looking. As soon as you put it on, your rupees start getting sucked away at more than one per second. It's a bit scary to watch, because after a minute of running around checking out how cool you are in your new armor, you'll be flat broke. When you're broke, the armor suddenly becomes extremely heavy -- you walk like you've got the iron boots on.

The only time I ever used it was in the Cave of Ordeals, when I'd run out of health potions and I wasn't sure if I could survive to the end. As it turned out, I couldn't!

Before dungeon five, someone I talked to, probably a Zora, said you'd need something warm if you're going into the mountains. It was probably just a hint that you'd be using your wolf form, but at the time I was sure the third tunic would be some kind of heavy coat. Perhaps made from some kind of Hylian beast. That would have been cool.

You know what would have been super cool? If Nintendo had released a Santa outfit over WiiConnect24 on Christmas. I mean All you'd need is a new texture for the standard Link model.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
The only time I ever used it was in the Cave of Ordeals, when I'd run out of health potions and I wasn't sure if I could survive to the end. As it turned out, I couldn't!

I had to use it on the final boss since I got stuck for a long time and had the boss whittle my life bar down while I tried to figure out that I needed to HOLD the A button to grab the charging Gannon. I found out that Link will end up wearing the ornate armor for the entirety of the ending sequence! In-engine cinemas rock!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: