The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twilight Princess kind of sucks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link has many of the same facial expressions as in the wind waker and they look horribly out of place on this character model. Thinking mostly of the "YOU GOT AN ITEM" face he makes.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
You now, you can always order it online and do the in-store pick-up thing when it's available online tomorrow.

Price-matching at Best Buy or Wal-Mart is a sure bet too, those places were overflowing with GC Twilight Princess copies tonight.

I walked two doors down to the Best Buy with this intention, but they had not heard of this game either.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Thinking mostly of the "YOU GOT AN ITEM" face he makes.

...Which is honestly one of the creepiest faces imaginable.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, the whole NO SPOILERZ thing sort of ruins the casual sharing of tidbits that used to make playing Zelda games so great, so...

[n.b. no major spoilers follow]

Has anyone tried entering the bustling non-twilit castle town as a wolf?

What are people's theories on the fortune teller? The first time she told me my love fortune she showed me the fishing lake, which made me think maybe Link was going to fall in love with the cute fishing girl. The second time I had it read she showed me an old guy in the east throughfare. When I found him, he said 'donate money to my charity and LOVE will rain on you!'

So I thought maybe the more money I give to this guy the more chance there is of fishing girl falling in love with me. Later, however, I met the same old guy in the cafe and he told me 'Hey, have you been to the fortune teller yet? She's great!' which makes me think this is a scam, and he and the gypsy are in cahoots.

However, other times I've had my love fortune read since then I've just been shown various points in temples I've previously visited, so it's more likely that she's just showing me where the pieces of heart are, and everything above is just in my imagination :(
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Perseus wrote:
Is TP more inventive in how it uses items? Are the items actually useful in a general sense, instead of the rather rigid way they worked in WW?
Yeah, moreso than in Wind Waker, definitely.

I was also a little supprised at how well they integrate certain items that initially seem very "for this puzzle only" into most of the game. There was one item in particular that you use many times through-out the entire game and in quite a few different ways that really felt like a "one time only" item when I got it.

Harvey wrote:
Fortune Teller

Yeah, that's all in your head. I only got Love told two times and both were heart peices, yet... they were in pretty creative places (plain sight yet not where you would expect to look).

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the first dungeon was totally predictable. and oh boy, fetch quests galore! bug hunting, bridge finding. would someone explain what the whole bridge thing was all about? they stole a bridge? and i needed to replay a bunch of rooms i've already been to to find it? huh?

it's worlds better than ocarina though, even so far. hyrule field is much more acceptable now. though wind waker's ocean - in idea at least - works a lot better for me. can i tell you i actually like a lot of wind waker? its opening dungeon, inexplicable stealth sequence at all, is a lot better-paced than the monkey maze. and outset island doesn't require two hours of running around confused to leave.

the level of detail in this game makes the environment a much more difficult for me to navigate wind waker's simple, flat-colored landscapes. i've gotten confused and disoriented many times.

link is kinda hot*. he's pretty and strong and follows my orders. then midna showed up to complete my train of thought. andrew "mister" toups, after reading my article on D/s in rule of rose, told me "if navi was a housewife, midna's a dominatrix". i like her.

* the sandals may also have been part of it.

so i am at around the six-hour mark. i play on in the hopes that this game will in fact get better and you people are not leading me astray.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so the first dungeon was totally predictable. and oh boy, fetch quests galore! bug hunting, bridge finding. would someone explain what the whole bridge thing was all about? they stole a bridge? and i needed to replay a bunch of rooms i've already been to to find it? huh?

It's just one of those game-y things that involves removing something so that you can go back and find it so that they can lock that area and make you do more.

With that said, if you were paying attention you would have known just where to warp and the whole process takes only about a minute (as it did with me). There is another time the game does this, but that just makes you take the long way around... I didn't find that part of the puzzle till about half the game later.

And, if by the time that you're done with the second dungeon there hasn't been enough too get you motivated or captivated, the rest of the game may not hold too much for you.

player 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG SPOILERS ON THE WAY TO THE SECOND DUNGEON (4-6 hours-ish)

I really, really liked the part before the first dungeon where you see a bridge lying angled up against a wall and you're all confused wondering what to do with it... And then a couple hours later you're supposed to find that same bridge and bring it all the way across Hyrule via Magic Warp Portal Shadow Gate.

It's not the best. But I liked it.

Edit: Oh.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp

Last edited by player 2 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
would someone explain what the whole bridge thing was all about? they stole a bridge?

Carmen Sandiego?
kimkallstrom1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus wrote:
And you are trolling here why exactly? Don't you have a blog to run?

Whoa, take it easy there son. One nintendo fanboy at a time. Take a number. Wink
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no fan of Nintendo either, but I can't say I can see what it is you're trying to show.
Perseus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread, along with the Wii game review thread, is slowly eroding my resistance towards buying a Wii now, before Super Mario Galaxy comes out....

On the other hand, I do have a Gamecube. Now if only anyone was selling copies of Gamecube TP.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only question left on my mind now is, once I have the means to, will I purchase a 360 or a Wii first?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim, as far as i know you don't even play console games, so i'm not really sure what you're about right now.

anyway, i just finished the second dungeon. the "chase scene" has been the only part that's really made me say "oh. this has promise". sumo wrestling was pretty hot too, once i figured out the controls.

do the dungeons get less generic? the mines get some points for not having all lava rooms, but i'd still like to see a dungeon that had more than one color listed on its design sheet.

this is, though, probably the most focused game in the series, with the exception of adventure of link and majora's mask. it even extends as far as the dungeons, which is certainly preferable to "go wander around in this cave until you find a boss".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's some pretty non-generic stuff in the game's second half. I'm not saying it will "blow your mind," but whereas the first three dungeons pretty faithfully mimic Ocarina (forest, volcano, water), there are some definitely un-Zelda-like themes later on, or at least, stuff that doesn't directly copy anything else in the series.

Last edited by david on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just finished the second bug hunt. I wish the game would open up already! This first part of the game has been alright so far, but I'd go nuts if the whole game was like this.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I need a big wallet. Bug girl already gave me the 600 wallet, but it's nowhere near enough for my needs. I'm tired of finding Orange rupees and having to put them back. Wind Waker got it right- in that game there was plenty of room to store rupees and plenty of people who wanted to take rupees off you, so every little rupee was fun to find. Right now, TP ain't like that. Where's the big wallet guys Sad

If you could phrase your response in in the form of a Midna hint that would be swell.

P.S. I'm thinking that if I played this game again I'd probably enjoy the early stages a lot more, since I'd be playing them knowing that the game wasn't going to be all like this- without that awful 'OH MAN THE NEW ZELDA SUCKS' anxiety weighing down on me.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
If you could phrase your response in in the form of a Midna hint that would be swell.

HINT! - You won't find the big wallet until you've finished the game and found pretty much everything else. You need all 24 bugs to get the 1000 capacity wallet.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that blows. Thanks!
B coma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
tim, as far as i know you don't even play console games, so i'm not really sure what you're about right now.

anyway, i just finished the second dungeon. the "chase scene" has been the only part that's really made me say "oh. this has promise". sumo wrestling was pretty hot too, once i figured out the controls.

do the dungeons get less generic? the mines get some points for not having all lava rooms, but i'd still like to see a dungeon that had more than one color listed on its design sheet.

this is, though, probably the most focused game in the series, with the exception of adventure of link and majora's mask. it even extends as far as the dungeons, which is certainly preferable to "go wander around in this cave until you find a boss".

there is one dungeon in particular that I thought was pretty awesome, at least. you are probably a ways off from it, now, but let's say it catches you totally off-guard and remains endearing the whole way through. you'll know it when you see it.
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
One of my coworkers told me that Circuit City has the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess for $38 and was selling it today. i went to the Circuit City close to my house and had to explain for five minutes that no I didn't want the Wii version, and yes ther was a version coming out for the Gamecube and yes that's the one I wanted and no I'm sure I don't mean the Wii version. The way they looked at me, it was as if I was describing the most fantastical thing I had made up in my head and was hoping they had it on sale.

If I go there tomorrow and they have it in stock, I might . . . well, cry.

You know, I really don't know what the deal is with this, either. I finally caved and bought the Wii version on Tuesday, and when I was in EB making the purchase, they had stacks of the GC Twilight Princess in the case behind the counter. A buddy of mine had the game preordered and he picked it up yesterday and now we're comparing notes on each other's progress etc. However, I tried explaining to another friend this morning that Twilight Princess is indeed on the Gamecube, and I ran into this same bizarre predicament. Circuit City and Best Buy both have the game online but are somehow sold out, and it's not even appearing on websites like Wal-Mart, Target, or the whole EB/Gamestop network. This is the sort of bizarre thing I'd expect of an Atlus release that was delayed three times, but not of a first-party title.

So anyways, I'm a bit pissed at the game right now. I just got done talking to the Goat of Light or whatever it is and I died in a battle--still getting the hang of the controls. I decided that this was a good stopping point, and assumed--foolishly--that like all Zelda games, I'd have the option to save and quit. So when the game asked me if I wanted to retry, I said no. Next it asked me if I wanted to go to the title screen. I found it a bit odd I wasn't asked if I wanted to save, but I thought hey, this is the next gen, right? Constantly badgering the player to save at every turn should be a thing of the past and the game ought to just do so on its own, right? That logic in mind, I quit to the title screen, but on a bizarre whim I decide to load my save game, only to discover IT WAS MY SAVE FROM A GODDAMN HOUR AGO WHEN I FIRST TURNED INTO THE WOLF!

I'm not too happy about this. That fucking village hawk took me a good thirty minutes to beat; I know how to do it now but that still doesn't help my intense feeling of wasted time.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
That's Kim Cattrel.

God, I used to have the biggest crush on her. Mostly from Big Trouble, Little China.

Anyway, I got the Cube version the day it came out, and thus far have only been able to spend an hour on it. I was totally in love with the game till the fishing part came up. I honestly have no idea what to do. And I normally love fishing in video games! I can't get the bait to do anything, plus it falls below my visibility line. Am I don't something wrong? Is this something that works wonderfully in the Wii version but just doesn't on the GameCube?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

First half of the game: well designed but not too original dungeons. Focus is on story and progression as well as some excellent set pieces (“chase scene” is one of them).
Second half of the game: Dungeon design improves and becomes quite original in a lot of places. Still a few generic ones, but most a leagues better than other 3D Zelda. Not as many great set pieces, but the dungeons make up for it. The story is on cruise control at this point and doesn’t make too much progress for large chunks.

SO! Yes, they do.

FortNinety wrote:
I can't get the bait to do anything, plus it falls below my visibility line. Am I don't something wrong? Is this something that works wonderfully in the Wii version but just doesn't on the GameCube?

Um, just wait for the bobber top to go below the water line. While it’s going down hit up (or what every you need to do to pull it out of the water on the GC version). Make sure there is enough line for the hook to fall far enough to the ground so that the bobber can point up. It’s not really fishing: throw, wait, hit and hold up when bobber is going down. I never used bait the entire game.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just reached the third boring dungeon, completely exhausted by everything between it and the last. i would have liked the escort mission more if it didn't keep repeating every time i missed one of those stupid birds, and most of the time i missed them because i was fumbling between my boomerang and bow.

that one cutscene - the history lesson - was fantastic, though. now i'm interested in where this is going, though i have an inkling. a jillion points to this game if the villian turns out not to be ganon, though i am not holding my breath! actually, i'll award half of those if the villian turns out to be ganon and not ganondorf.

i like the tone of this game. the twilight is a better-considered way to implement a light world-dark world dynamic than any zelda has managed since a link to the triforce of the gods. that being said, i don't really like the light world-dark world dynamic. i do like that the twilight realm is actually bright and digital and eerie instead of just generic black-purple land (metroid prime 2).

the second outfit looks really silly out of water. i'm expecting a boring slog through the third dungeon, but i'm looking forward to something more interesting after that. don't disappoint me, game!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the second outfit looks really silly out of water. i'm expecting a boring slog through the third dungeon, but i'm looking forward to something more interesting after that. don't disappoint me, game!

My memory is a little hazy, but you may have to wait for the 5th dungeon.

Anyways, I hope you were paying attention durring the history lesson story, because the game hardly discusses it again and expects you to draw a lot of conclusions by reading into that and between the lines with the main story.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, i think my biggest problem with the game - and it's only half the game's fault - is that it's a long game and i'm playing it on someone else's wii. i don't really want a wii, of course, since i don't really have the space to pretend-box or even a television wider than the sensor bar. but i would probably be getting along a lot better with the game if i could control the pace at which i play it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the fourth dungeon was awesome, particularly the boss. It definitely put a great new spin on things.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

that one cutscene - the history lesson - was fantastic, though.

Yep. That shot of Link running towards the triforce in slow motion is breathtakingly beautiful. It's like the most beautiful shot Miyazaki never animated.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the second outfit looks really silly out of water.

fairly sure this is intentional
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, the third dungeon is utterly predictable but i actually like that it has a layout that makes sense. yes, it's still kind of arbitrary and i can't imagine the ancients building a giant water puzzle to worship at, but there's a kind of myst-like discovery of strange, broken objects that blossoms into an understanding of what they are for and how they work. the dungeons are all pretty focused and organized in a sensible way (to the degree that they can be), and that works very well in a game that keeps as tight a rein on the player as this game does - much better than a relatively open dungeon like the original zelda's or even ocarina's would be.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of the dungeons so far is that the puzzles mostly revolve around inventive uses of items and abilities that you've had for most of the game. Nine times out of ten the solution is just a matter of looking at your inventory screen and applying some creative thinking. It's a really great way to get around the problem that both Ocarina and Wind Waker had where each item had one specific prescribed use that more or less remained static throughout the entire game. The way inventory is integrated into the puzzles goes a long way towards making your treasures feel like things which are actually useful and handy as opposed to things which are just there to be artificial keys to artificial locks.

I just finished the fifth dungeon, which was fantastic. Aounuma at his best. Reminds me of the neatest parts of Majora's Mask.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i can't imagine the ancients building a giant water puzzle to worship at

I think this could be said for most video games with dungeons or levels.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the boss of the third dungeon clearly owes a lot to shadow of the colossus, but the battle made me realize how much colossus owes to the eel in super mario 64!

so everything between that dungeon and the next is fantastic. the return to the castle, in the storm, with the faint sound of midna's labored breathing in the background, if you listen. the song that plays is wonderful (my father, who was around, commented on it even), though i wish the battle theme hadn't replaced it when i ran into enemies. and then the raid on the enemy camp. that was just mighty swell. i want things like that to appear randomly on hyrule field.

okay, the sacred grove was kind of dull, and tedious. and what was that puzzle all about? "the ancient ones erected us to challenge any potential heroes to a game of knight's move." (yes i know the puzzle wasn't actually knight's move.) but aside from that it was pretty good. this game is getting pretty good.

i am hoping the fourth dungeon will be interesting.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
but aside from that it was pretty good. this game is getting pretty good.

This is really good to hear. I mean, really, of all people playing and commenting on the game I expect you to be the most critical and least forgiving of the game. For a while after my positive reviews I thought that maybe I was crazy, but you seem to be enjoying the exact same things that I found so fantastic.

Also, the next SotC reference in a similar form is much more spectacular and intuitive.

dmauro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't anyone else not like the Temple of Time dungeon (7th one I think). It seemed like the dungeons had really been steadily getting better since the water dungeon (my least favorite up to this point) and this one just didn't do anything for me and I'm not sure why.

I'm thinking of subscribing to NP for the soundtrack if they're still doing that promotion. I'm not usually especially into Zelda soundtracks, but this one is fantastic.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Didn't anyone else not like the (7th one I think).

Is that the one with the magic wand? I really liked the use of the item and how the first half of the dungeon you pass all this stuff that you just feel like you should be using but can't. That dungeon felt more like an excuse for an excellent item, and I loved using the item, so the steril feel/look of it didn't bother me.

B coma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Also, the next SotC reference in a similar form is much more spectacular and intuitive.

are you talking about the dragon fight with the dual clawshots? because, as simple as I thought that was... WHAT A FREAKING THRILL RIDE, seriously. it was really what that dungeon was working towards, momentum-wise as well, which probably added to the excitement.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so the boss of the third dungeon clearly owes a lot to shadow of the colossus, but the battle made me realize how much colossus owes to the eel in super mario 64!

And the fifth colossus owes to the sand bird in Mario Sunshine.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
are you talking about...

Hell yeah I am.

david

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Didn't anyone else not like the ... dungeon (7th one I think).

The music, though I sort of liked it, was also kind of too repetitive. It definitely isn't as free-wheeling a dungeon as the others the second half of the game.

Something kind of interesting about it, though... It really resembes The Tower of the Gods from The Wind Waker, with its classical motif and color scheme.

Speaking of which, something I haven't heard anyone else comment on yet is how the "blue lines through grey stone" quasi-high-tech theme of the Twilight Realm is familiar from the boss and its chamber of the Tower of the Gods in TWW. I guess this is another reason why I expected more connections between the games. I'm not really sure what to make of it.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a bit like Tron to me.

I loved that Wind Waker boss, by the way! It was such a weird mixture of elements. The boss looks Aztec or Mayan in design, the music sounds like Switched On Bach or Wendy Carlos' synthesizer version of Beethoven, and it all has this tron-style futuristic aesthetic, and somehow this all coalesces to create a Greco-Roman sort of setting.

My dad thinks the square black particles that float up from the ground in the Twilight Realm are After Eight mints.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i'm actually enjoying the fourth dungeon so far, even though it's at least the third time chasing down light-nabbing ghosts has been done in the series.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so i'm actually enjoying the fourth dungeon so far, even though it's at least the third time THPOILER has been done in the series.

it's also the best!

the forest temple in OoT fucking sucked because of that bullshit. It's much better thought out here.
FortNinety
Pheonix Wright
Pheonix Wright

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but the fishing (at least in the GameCube version) is total b.s. It took me over an hour to catch the two fish I needed. Actually I had to catch three because the cat wasn't around for the second fish. I've never been this pissed this early into a Zelda game.
B coma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FortNinety wrote:
I'm sorry but the fishing (at least in the GameCube version) is total b.s. It took me over an hour to catch the two fish I needed. Actually I had to catch three because the cat wasn't around for the second fish. I've never been this pissed this early into a Zelda game.

everyone hates this in the wii version as well.

the irony is, that when fishing becomes voluntary, it's a lot more fun.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the boss of the fourth dungeon was neat in an "i've always wanted to see zelda combined with pachinko" sort of way, but (as i've told andy) i would really like a zelda boss that i could actually fight with my sword. you know, other than the obligatory wail-on-a-motionless-defenseless-boss moments that they stick into each fight just to keep us from forgetting that we do in fact have a sword.

then it was right on into the mirror chamber, or (as i'm calling it) the "chamber of disappointments". ganondorf is the villian and the portal to another world i've come so far to find has been split into pieces which have been banished to various dungeons which i now have to go locate. woo hoo.

but hey, zelda snowboarding. and the fifth dungeon looks to be potentially the most interesting yet.

i'm just strangely satisfied to finally have each area of the map (that i know of) filled in.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the "chamber of disappointments"

Hehe, yeah, it was right around here that I sent a text message to toups saying "the game just blew its load :(" or something. He responded with "only 40 more hours of limp wii"

The dungeon design become much more tight from now on, but unfortunatly the motivation is all gone.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the fifth dungeon is a refreshing change, though not without its problems! for starters, most of it is dependent on you having regular bombs. immediately before the dungeon, a shiny new type of bomb goes on sale. i bought it, thinking that the last time a new type of bomb went on sale it was immediately required in the following dungeon.

well the shiny new bombs (which are very expensive and of which you can only carry ten) don't work in this dungeon. and since they didn't work, i assumed that bombs were not the solution. i had to check gamefaqs (a second time, the first being right at the beginning of the game) to find out that i was intended to use bombs, just not the shiny new ones. so i had to leave the dungeon and trek to the other side of the world to buy normal bombs, then trek back.

the other frustration was the sub-boss. even after i figured out what i was "supposed" to do, the result just wasn't consistent. i felt like every time i tried to goad the boss into exposing its weak point, i had a 50-50 chance of getting hurt and missing the opportunity. and this particular sub-boss could kill me in several hits. i had to replay the battle until i got "lucky".

seeing a weapon in action and then getting to use it is awesome (and a trick that dates back as far in the series as the original), though. i wish there were more of it.

the characters who inhabit the dungeon are adorable, and so was the ending scene. nevermind that the boss was lifted straight from wind waker.

after that, though - i can't for the life of me figure out why they needed to make me repeat the most annoying part of the game. that being the "lost woods". ugh. i'm up to black-and-white land, which looks promising.

trying to play a game this long on a console that doesn't belong to me is exhausting. i've reached the twenty-hour mark.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the other frustration was the sub-boss. even after i figured out what i was "supposed" to do, the result just wasn't consistent. i felt like every time i tried to goad the boss into exposing its weak point, i had a 50-50 chance of getting hurt and missing the opportunity. and this particular sub-boss could kill me in several hits. i had to replay the battle until i got "lucky".

Yeah, I had this problem too. Not sure what you were supposed to do there, really. What added to the confusion of the battle was that you can hookshot to the ceiling in that room, yet this shows no clear discernable purpose.

Still, that dungeon was so wonderful that I had to forgive those flaws. I'm getting a very warm majora's mask feeling from this game. My favorite part was the very end when they hug each other and it makes a bunch of heart powerups as well as the heart container. That put a huge smile on my face and it's the exact sort of thing that I think Aounuma excels at.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
What added to the confusion of the battle was that you can hookshot to the ceiling in that room, yet this shows no clear discernable purpose.

it's the only way to avoid him when he closes in on you.

other than that, I found the particular fight to be pretty "eh".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: