The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today is Miyamoto's Birthday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Today is Miyamoto's Birthday Reply with quote

Shigeru Miyamoto is 55 today! Let's celebrate by talking about some of the man's best games and discussing his contribution to videogames as a whole! Or, you could use this as an opportunity to tell us why you think he's overrated, and was never really all that good in the first place!

http://www.miyamotoshrine.com/theman/interviews/030703.shtml
Here's an university lecture Miyamoto gave in 2003 which is a rare example of Miyamoto not TOEING the company line and talking candidly about the videogames industry. It's from the last days before Iwata took over, when Miyamoto was primarily occupied by the E-Reader, GBA to GC connectivity and Stage Debut. What I call his 'old man puttering around in the shed' period.

Last edited by Harveyjames on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathan mann - miyamoto

(and it's "toeing", not "towing".)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could have been pulling the company line somewhere...
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this man. He epitomizes everything I adore about Nintendo's philosophy and videogames. He's the Will Wright of console games--vibrant imagination, and he's not afraid to use it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea how involved he's been in the actual planning and development of nintendo games since the 16-bit days, but the original mario bros., super mario bros., doki doki panic, legend of zelda and donkey kong are all pretty revelatory.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why so many people suck his dick. I honestly don't.

He's made a few great games in the past (Well, okay. Only The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros., though Lost Levels was far better) and arsed about, while getting credit for many others, which aren't even that good, just because he happened to produce them.

I suspect he's just plain marketable and been a staple in the industry because he's so old and gives off a playful child image.

Though that interview was fairly interesting.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really want to rehash the "what has miyamoto actually done" discussion, but i pretty much agree with dracko.

none of the games he's been associated with since the super famicom have had the grace of those earlier works, anyway.

i have a hard time pinning down exactly what his design philosophy is. the goals of the original mario and zelda and later ones seem pretty incompatible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Super Mario 64 a lot!

(That was pretty much only for the curmudgeon.)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I don't know why so many people suck his dick. I honestly don't.
I suspect he's just plain marketable and been a staple in the industry because he's so old and gives off a playful child image.

You can read interviews from 1991 where Miyamoto is referred to as 'the genius behind Mario', and he wasn't so old then.

To be honest, I thought Miyamoto was little more than a figurehead for the company, too. However, since Iwata's come in and started releasing all these staff interviews, making it so everyone at Nintendo has a public voice and not just Miyamoto, you really get a sense of how much he means to that company. It's amazing how his name seems to pop up in every single interview, way more than, say, Aonuma who actually directed the game these people were working on.

dessgeega wrote:
i have a hard time pinning down exactly what his design philosophy is. the goals of the original mario and zelda and later ones seem pretty incompatible.

This is from 1991:

Quote:
Q. What is your on-going philosophy about making video games?
A. ...I think great video games are like favorite playgrounds, places you become attached to and go back to again and again. Wouldn't it be great to have a whole drawer full of "playgrounds" right at your finger tips?

It sounds simple but you can't understate how revolutionary this was, put into practise (Mario was the biggest game on the NES for a reason, after all) and how far-reaching this philosophy has become. I guess NES Zelda and Mario were the genesis of this, but Mario 64 was the first time I really sat up and took notice, as did countless other game developers.

Dead Rising springs to mind as a more recent example of Miyamoto's playground. You 'learn' the mall and all its secrets and use your knowledge of it to your advantage. The way I take a detour of Wonderland plaza because I happen to know I can get an electric chainsaw there is pure Super Mario World, memorizing which Donut plains levels have a feather in them at the start so I can get them and use them in the Ghost House. Come to think of it, so is the way that Uzi was hidden on the ledge in Paradise Plaza all along, and I could have got it at any time right from the start of the game had I only known about it.

You have to realize that this shit just wasn't in games before Miyamoto.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
The way I take a detour of Wonderland plaza because I happen to know I can get an electric chainsaw there is pure Super Mario World, memorizing which Donut plains levels have a feather in them at the start so I can get them and use them in the Ghost House. Come to think of it, so is the way that Uzi was hidden on the ledge in Paradise Plaza all along, and I could have got it at any time right from the start of the game had I only known about it.

You have to realize that this shit just wasn't in games before Miyamoto.

katsuya eguchi designed the stages in super mario world, though.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but your boy Miyamoto oversaw the whole thing. He's not the guy in the trenches, but he's still calling the shots. Even in the Mario and Zelda games he didn't direct, it's his vision presiding over them, as evidenced by how the Twilight Princess staffers make constant references to how 'Miyamoto told me to change x' during their interviews.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a good thing miyamoto was there to catch x! the game would totally have been ruined.

he is a genius of our age!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-huh.

Feel free to pick at any tiny details you like and ignore the broader discussion. It furthers the debate no end!

I just can't believe you didn't pick up on 'You have to realize that this shit just wasn't in games before Miyamoto' which probably isn't true.

In the interviews, the staff liken Miyamoto's changing of small elements ('x') to a game of Reversi - he changes this here, and something else over here, and before you know it everything's changed. He's 'upended the tea table' and made everyone remake the game in his vision before they even knew about it. This is all in the interviews, you can check it out for yourself if you want.

I don't know what I did to deserve the hostility and derision that seems to greet my every opinion on these boards but it's starting to grind me down a little.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shut up.

just kidding harvey! what would the world be like without a bit of sarcasm and derision, though? boooooriiiiing.

edit - happy birthday, shiggy. regardless of how much/how little weight the guy pulls in development these days, he's still the guy behind the original SMB and Zelda. cheers!

how was that harvey, that was like 3 weeks worth of built up serotonin. now i'll be depressed and angry for months, again. ;- (
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I don't know what I did to deserve the hostility and derision that seems to greet my every opinion on these boards but it's starting to grind me down a little.

james, you know i lurve you.

it just really bugs me when people are credited for work they didn't do. i have a really hard time believing that someone's "vision" is more deserving of praise than the person who spent hours putting together the code or laying out the level design. and the trend toward building figureheads in the industry is one that i think is unfortunate and misleading.

i'm sorry if i got sarcastic. don't be mad at me please? this is why i was reluctant to get on the subject. we should really just drop it, there's nothing that hasn't been said already.

happy birthday shiggy-moto.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're forgiven!

I'll just deliver my closing statement on why Miyamoto is an important figure to me.

The image I've built up of Miyamoto through reading interviews is that he's a simple but hardworking man whose greatest strength is that he has always approached game design from a non-gamer's perspective. This is from the official biography that gets trotted out every time Miyamoto is profiled, but I'll trot it out once more:

Quote:
Miyamoto would often explore his natural surroundings in Sonebe to bide the time. Rice fields, canyons, grassy hills, waterways. the ideal setting for such an adventurous young man. Then one fateful day, Miyamoto made a discovery that would later resonate in his future endeavors, as would many things from his childhood. Shigeru had discovered a hole in the ground. Not just any hole, but a large hole. Upon closer inspection it was obvious that this hole was actually something more. It was in fact, the opening to a cave.

Young Miyamoto returned several times before building up enough courage to enter. Armed with only a lantern, he ventured deep inside until he came to another hole that led to another section of the cave. This was breathtaking for such a young man. Unforgettable even. And Miyamoto certainly never forgot.

As far back as 1984, Miyamoto was trying to create games that produced this same sense of wonder in the player, and to my knowledge, this makes him the first person to realise and successfully harness the potential of videogames as a medium capable of producing an emotional response- something we're only really starting to talk seriously about 20 years later. It's for this he should be remembered if nothing else.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario is the worst example of that though. It's a rigidly linear, authorial, game. You have a time limit and you can only go in one direction. With Zelda I can kind of see that intent but with Mario? There's nothing in the game to suggest that it's about either exploring or playing, it exists solely as a test of skill. There are some strategic choices to be made, and it's fine for a skill-based game but I don't buy it as a playground in the least.

I think Miyamoto is a fine game designer though. Happy Birthday to him.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey, have you read the "Breaking the Law of Miyamoto" article in the latest TGQ issue? It's really good and makes some points that counter what you just said.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Mario, there are all these different routes to take through the game, what with Warp Pipes and all. Climbing that secret beanstalk and finding yourself in the clouds really does seem kind of special the first time you do it. Like real exploration. The game does a very good job of feeling like a network of interconnected paths, which is some feat considering it's just a bunch of levels that go left to right, and the levels contain many secrets (invisible blocks etc.) that reward constant revisiting and experimentation.

There's this feeling I have when I play it that although I know about a lot of the hidden rooms and warps, some are going to be hidden from me forever. It still retains a sense of mystery. I stand by Mario as a good example.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and mario does a good job of teaching you how to play with it and how to explore. really, read jeremy's article, it's very good.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried very hard the other night to beat SMB3 (the GBA advance port) just to see his name in the credits as something other than Executive Producer since I haven't in a long time. I couldn't do it, but more because I didn't really plan ahead before I got to world 8.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit to not having a lot of Mario experience since I always find the first few stages really off-putting and I never owned a nintendo as a child so I never had a reason to power through it.

I will read the article though. I had started it before but put it down.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMB3 is all about the planning ahead!
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good article. Makes me regret skimming anything Mario related.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: