The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ryan's 2006 Tokyo Game Show Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Ryan's 2006 Tokyo Game Show Report Reply with quote

I didn't get a chance to play one game (except for a text based MGS game based on the comic sold in the USA. YOu basically just read the story from the first game while the comic books pages pass by in the background).

I saw a lot of stuff, took lots of pictures (and video of a few things), and to tell the truth I don't know where to start. So if you guys could help me out and tell me about what you're interested in hearing about, I'll do my best to fill you in, show you pictures, and maybe even send materials to one of the editors to scan and use in a future issue (if you want to do that). Anyways, As I load up pictures and movies from my camera, I'll link you guys to them.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard interesting things about a game called Trusty Bell for 360. Frederic Chopin is having visions of an alternate world on his death bed or something. It's going to be called Eternal Sonata in the states. So, yeah, if you get a chance to check it out, let us know?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in Devil May Cry 4, but apparently the lines to play it at TGS are really long. I'd also like to know your general impressions of the Playstation 3 stuff that's there and whether or not there's much of a crowd at the Xbox 360 booth. Basically, I'm wondering which system comes off as more impressive.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I felt sorta rushed at the game show and play absolutely NO GAMES. The lines were either too long, and the closest I got to playing was at the SEGA booth for the new Sonic game . .. but as soon as I put my hands on the controller they said they were shutting down for the day. Soooo sad.

Well, as you know the Wii had absolutely no impact at TGS . . . there were a few consoles around the convention to showcase games over at the SEGA booth, but they had girls playing it to show it's quality and all that, and nobody there could actually get their hands on it.

I was really impressed with Sony, both with the PS3 and the PSP. The new Metal Gear game for the the PSP especially looked good. It was online and they had a tournament at the Konami booth for it (I took some pictures and a small movie). It was like a mini MGS3 Substance (was that the name of the online version?). I think the PSP is starting to really set itself apart from the DS Lite. The DS Lite was absolutely everywhere. Everybody and their mom was making games for it. They were also setting up the release of a pink PSP. I checked out BombermanOnline at the Hudsonsoft booth, and that's really all they have going for them these days. I took of a movie of that too . . .

I really liked the Namco/Bandai booth. They are coming out with what seems to be the DEFINITIVE Dragonball game, featuring every character from every series and movie and also each move that ever appeared in the TV shows. Graphically it wasn't any better than the previous cell shaded versions, but that's not what people play it for anyways. I still don't know what to think of that split screen approach. They also had quite a few Gundam games there. One based on S.E.E.D. Destiny and the other was an online battle royale game.

I think Xbox will gain some ground this holiday season due to Akira Toriyama producing the RPG "Blue Dragon", or at least doing the artwork and story I mean. They must have paid him a buttload to do it . . . I actually didn't see much of the Xbox 360 area because of the lines and other areas such as Sony's booth and Square-Enix's booth. However, the Online Gundam game looked pretty cool for the 360.

PS3 had the shittiest pavillion, plainest girls, and poorest presentation, but their games were by far the best. I only glanced at DMC4 because it didn't seem to be as groundbreaking this time around. THe graphics and gameplay seemed sorta the same to me. I was more interested in this quirky underwater game called flOw. I think you play some sorta sea worm or something, swimming around in an ocean and collecting food to grow bigger and running into big Jelly-fish like enemies. I'll post pictures from the magazines I collected once I have time to organize all my pictures. Also seeing the 20 minute long trailer for MGS4 really pulled me towards wanting a PS3. The graphics, characters, gameplay . . . just wow. Ughh, sorry I need to collect my thoughts and get some other things done, and once I post the pics up I will be able to expound on all the games I saw there some more.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a test to see if I can link the videos I upload from my MySpace account.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1041431663

Please tell me if you can view that video or not.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
I was more interested in this quirky underwater game called flOw. I think you play some sorta sea worm or something, swimming around in an ocean and collecting food to grow bigger and running into big Jelly-fish like enemies.

http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/

Yeah, I had a thread about Flow when it came out. A very, good game.

Also free, no need for a PS3!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
I think Xbox will gain some ground this holiday season due to Akira Toriyama producing the RPG "Blue Dragon", or at least doing the artwork and story I mean. They must have paid him a buttload to do it . . . I actually didn't see much of the Xbox 360 area because of the lines and other areas such as Sony's booth and Square-Enix's booth. However, the Online Gundam game looked pretty cool for the 360.

So there were lines at the 360 booth! Sweet. I want to feel like MS has at least somewhat of a fighting chance in Japan. The thing about Blue Dragon is that it's not by Akira Toriyama. It's my understanding that he just did the character designs. The scenario is being done by Sakaguchi, the guy who did most of the Final Fantasy games from 1-7. It's also notable that the music is being done by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy music guy). It's basically a modern Chrono-Trigger.

Sakaguchi is also doing another Xbox 360 RPG called Lost Odyssey, which looks even better than Blue Dragon. It's also got music by Uematsu, but its art is being done by the guy who did Slam Dunk and its scenario is being written by a famous novelist.

I'm amazed that these games are being made. That they were willing to fund them really shows that MS is taking Japan seriously. They could be Japan's Halo!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So there were lines at the 360 booth! Sweet. I want to feel like MS has at least somewhat of a fighting chance in Japan.

Microsoft likely just hired people to stand in line, to give the impression that Japanese gamers were at least slightly interested in their console. I wouldn't put it past them.

I mean, come on...
: P
Weekly Console Hardware Sales in Japan wrote:
September 11 - 17, 2006
Nintendo DS Lite - 134,885
PS2 - 34,189
PSP - 26,995
Game Boy Advance SP - 2,330
Game Boy Micro - 1,244
X360 - 928
GameCube - 630
Nintendo DS - 478
Game Boy Advance - 27
Xbox - 7
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried taking pictures of the new DOA Volleyball 2 game and they stopped me ... the jiggliness has been taken up a notch for the 360 version, and the games like tug of war with two big breasted girls looked fun . . . I think most people were enjoying the Online Gundam game the most. Damn I feel like such a loser. I was so rushed I really didn't take any pictures of anything worthwhile, and didn't really have that good of a camera for taking things inside either. I'm going to get pics and videos from my friends to share with you guys, so stay put.

EDIT:

Metal Gear Solid 4 clip (if you already haven't seen this at E3)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1215013883
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does this come out? It looks awesome.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
When does this come out? It looks awesome.

Sadly you have to wait until the PS4 comes out to get that level of realism.
calintz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Sakaguchi is also doing another Xbox 360 RPG called Lost Odyssey, which looks even better than Blue Dragon. It's also got music by Uematsu, but its art is being done by the guy who did Slam Dunk and its scenario is being written by a famous novelist.

I'm amazed that these games are being made. That they were willing to fund them really shows that MS is taking Japan seriously. They could be Japan's Halo!

-Wes

I too am awaiting Lost Odyssey - I know Sakaguchi and Uematsu are getting old, but something about them two joining forces makes me tingle inside.

um...Japan's Halo? Wouldn't that be the DOA series? And that hasn't really taken off...
I don't know if Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey will make a dent in Ninty's or Sony's strangle hold of the Japanese market...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calintz wrote:
um...Japan's Halo? Wouldn't that be the DOA series? And that hasn't really taken off...
I don't know if Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey will make a dent in Ninty's or Sony's strangle hold of the Japanese market...

No way man! Japan's obsession for RPGs (which began with Dragon Quest) parallels America's obsession with FPS games (which began with Doom). If Microsoft is going to take Japan it needs an RPG that gives people a reason to own the system. If one of these Mistwalker games can do that Microsoft might have a system that reaches Xbox 1-like sales in Japan. That's the hope at least.

You live in Japan and have probably developed a good grasp on their tastes like I did when I lived there. Doesn't it seem odd that the Xbox has absolutely no games that target the Japanese everyman? It's like the guy in charge over there had no grasp on reality. Blinx the cat wasn't going to do it. They needed a big-budget RPG that has a slight edge to it while still remaining cute. Nothing even came close.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say is true, though with the XBox case, its more of a case of a little too late.

Microsoft releases a new IP, which happens alot in the world of JRPGs, all Sony and Nintendo have to do is counter with some FF, DQ or Tales games, or Zelda or Pokemon.
A new JRPG IP is tricky, regardless of the talent behind it.

I don't know. There is alot of hype surrounding Blue Dragon here, which may sell a couple of hundred thousands, but Lost Odyssey is kinda low key at the moment.
Its a start...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calintz wrote:
Microsoft releases a new IP, which happens alot in the world of JRPGs, all Sony and Nintendo have to do is counter with some FF, DQ or Tales games, or Zelda or Pokemon.

You're sort of right, but who was able to counter Halo? A lot of people have tried, but nobody's really gotten it to the point where they become as big of a success. Some developers have made significant strides it doesn't really matter because people already have Halo.

What do you mean by "though with the XBox case, its more of a case of a little too late?" Are you refering to the original Xbox or Xbox 360? The original Xbox had nothing to appeal to Japan aside from a second tier fighting game series and a softcore H game. Both of those games/genres are extremely niche. The 360 is doing better by at least getting big games in Niche categories (I'm thinking Idolmaster, Lost Planet, and Culdcept here), but it needs a few games that can appeal to the Japanese everyman. I think these could be those games.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was refering to the Xbox 360. It is little too late to make it into a success.
True, they have a killer game in their hands. Unlike the west though, the Japanese are a little slow to pick up new IP, given their run on turning everything into a series.

Too late? Well, by the time Blue Dragon is released, the PS3 and the Wii would have come out to play, and the extra 100,000 sales of Blue Dragon (has XBox 360 even have that many console out there?) won't affect the sales of the new consoles. The little ground the XBox 360 will gain won't mean much.

Hopefully what I say is false, considering that the XBox 360 has a lot of potential games being released on it.

On your note: counter Halo? This is Japan. When was the last new JRPG IP come out that took on the already established mega series? It won't happen, and it won't happen on a disregarded console. Sad
Also: a Japanese everyday man won't shell out for a new XBox 360 for one game. They already have a PS3 (by that time), so why can't they just buy the new *insert famous JRPG*?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calintz wrote:
Yeah, I was refering to the Xbox 360. It is little too late to make it into a success.

No way man. You're under the assumption that most people who buy a system buy it in the first year. People buy systems when games comes out that they want to play. Case and point: The DS is selling better now than it ever dreamed of selling at launch. And it's happening because the games are appealing to regular people.

calintz wrote:
Too late? Well, by the time Blue Dragon is released, the PS3 and the Wii would have come out to play, and the extra 100,000 sales of Blue Dragon (has XBox 360 even have that many console out there?) won't affect the sales of the new consoles. The little ground the XBox 360 will gain won't mean much.

Again, a lot of people will buy the Wii and the PS3 at launch because of their brand names, but they won't really sell to the everyman until they have a game that people want bad enough to buy a system for.

calintz wrote:
On your note: counter Halo? This is Japan. When was the last new JRPG IP come out that took on the already established mega series?

When was the last non-established RPG IP that actually did something that's both interesting and relavent to normal people? I'd say Pokemon - maybe Animal Crossing if you broaden your definition a bit - and I think most people consider those to be hits.

calintz wrote:
Also: a Japanese everyday man won't shell out for a new XBox 360 for one game. They already have a PS3 (by that time), so why can't they just buy the new *insert famous JRPG*?

The Xbox 360 with Blue Dragon will be 29000 yen. Compare that to 24000 for a Wii with no games and 49000 to 59000 yen for a PS3 with no games. At these price, normal people won't be splurging for PS3s no matter how good the games are and the Wii is pretty much the same price as the 360. Yeah, you can talk about how the Xbox 360 really isn't 29000 yen after people buy the hard drive, but that won't be able to explain why Gamecube system sales shot up tremendously when they dropped the price to $100 and got rid of the "choose your own $50 pack-in-game" promotion in the US. The average person doesn't think beyond the pricetag, and if everyday people are going to be buying a system for its games, the choice is really only between the Xbox 360 and the Wii. Ken Kutaragi has made it clear that the PS3 is more of an investment than a casual purchase, meaning they've ruled out the everyday person.

Tell any regular person that the Playstation 3 costs 49000 yen and ask them what it would take for them to buy one. I've asked people this question and have yet to find a single person who isn't either a hardcore gamer or in a tech-related field that thinks they could possibly be convinced.

In the end it'll really all depend on whether Microsoft can stumble upon a single huge game. Just one game can make a system into a must-have, and at that point bringing in both buyers and developers will happen naturally.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point.

I am just a little sketchy as to one game raising a console to "success" status. It just seems that no one is interested in the XBox 360 here. Well, that's my observation.

And when you say the average person doesn't look beyond the price tag, thats a very American way of looking at things. The Japanese are very brand orientated and seem to be comfortable in a brand that offers them all they need.

bah >.<

i'm way over my head here - your knowledge seems better than mine Razz

but yeah...we'll see how Microsoft handles this...
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think there have ever been system sellers in Japan. I think that it's always been a gradual thing. It's not like here where Halo gets you to buy an XBox. There people buy Nintendo or Sony because they just like the brand. Sure, the money comes in as a factor, but not so much. Look at their cell phones compared to ours. It's very different there.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I have heard that whatever system a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest is on, will sell madly no matter what else (if nothing) is on the system.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what the release titles on the PS3 are going to be yet? I heard that the new Zelda game will be a release title on the Wii . .. and I think that alone will sell TONS of systems. That game simply looks amazing.

I don't think it's going to be possible for Microsoft to catch Nintendo or Sony in the least by the end of the year. It will make up ground, and Sony will lose some market share . . . but Nintendo is going to be the big winner with this generation of games. It was almost stupid that at Tokyo Game Show, 50% of the games being featured there were DS games it seemed.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
I really don't think there have ever been system sellers in Japan. I think that it's always been a gradual thing. It's not like here where Halo gets you to buy an XBox. There people buy Nintendo or Sony because they just like the brand. Sure, the money comes in as a factor, but not so much. Look at their cell phones compared to ours. It's very different there.

Yeah, Super Mario Bros. wasn't a system seller. Pokemon wasn't a system seller.

Actually, the correlation between big titles and system sales isn't a subtle science at all. Take a look at the system and game sales charts that come out each week and you'll notice that the system sales fluctuate based on the game that sells the highest for that week (and system availability lately). It's very game-based.

Also, in response to Ryan's assertion that Zelda is a system-seller. It's mostly off-base. I'm not sure if Zelda sells to America or Japan in greater numbers, but I do know that Wind Waker sold more poorly than Mario Party 4. There were stacks of 1000 yen copies of Wind Waker floating around everywhere just months after the game's release. It was a surprisingly big flop for Nintendo despite carrying the Zelda name.

I never did understand that.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I comment, you're referring to in the US that there were stacks of Zelda games sitting about, right?

The following is just unfounded nonsense:
Assuming that to be true (and if you meant Japan, then this is just unfounded nonesense) I think some of that had to do with the sheer amount of negative hype the game had "I don't want to play no kiddy celda" over it's graphical style from HARDKORE kids badmouthing the game without ever having played it. I'm partially biased since Wind Waker is probably my favorite Zelda game and I found great joy in playing it, despite it's flaws. I've been meaning to write something on my website about how hype has affected my gameplay habits just like this.

Last edited by Nana Komatsu on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never bought wind waker, but that's cause people told me it was boring.

real life is not conducive to certain kinds of games. strategy games, i would imagine, fall into this category, as does mmorpgs and the like.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Before I comment, you're referring to in the US that there were stacks of Zelda games sitting about, right?

No, I'm referring to Japan actually. I remember seeing piles of the game at a Softmap Store in Osaka (maybe Fukuoka) for 1000 yen less than a month before it was even released in America. I'd wager that Wind Waker sold better in the US than it did in Japan despite the "cellda" thing. It never made any sense to me.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that doesn't seem to make sense at all.
calintz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just the "cell"da thing?
the new Zelda seems to be a big hype over here. In magazines, polls usually show it up there with the FF games...

hmm...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calintz wrote:
In magazines, polls usually show it up there with the FF games...

See, that's the thing! People who read game magazines and actually take the time to submit the cards are pretty serious gamers. Of course they're interested in Zelda, just like most of us are. But what about everyone else? Gamers are a minority. Nintendo realizes this fact and it's the reason they're specifically targeting everyone else with the Wii and DS. Seems to be working pretty well too.

I did some more thinking about Wind Waker's sales and I think a big reason behind its slow sales has to do with the Gamecube system itself. Just as the X-Box never really had any games to appeal to the everyman in Japan, the Gamecube never really spread its wings beyond the child audience.

I always thought the system seemed like it got unfairly labeled as a kid's system in the US, but it's even worse in Japan, where they couldn't care less about Metroid, Eternal Darkness, MGS Remake, the Prince of Persia games, and a bunch of EA/Activision Crap. Take western developed games out of the equation (which you usually have to do in Japan) and you're left with nothing but Resident Evil for anyone older than 13. That shrinks Zelda's audience considerably.

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see, that does make sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: