The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shenmue and "Mother"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Shenmue and "Mother" Reply with quote

Two of the best things to ever happen to RPGs. They breathed fresh air into a tired genre that seems to think in order to make an RPG you need dragons, medevil times, and swords. Why is it that more companies haven't picked up on this and created newer games based on a present day model instead of the same old same old? It seems to me like everybody wants to be or CLONE Final Fantasy, and nobody wants to actually make an original game anymore.

Does anybody else think that we are reaching the saturation point in the current gaming market? Sequels, Trilogies, anthologies . . . I just really wonder if WITH this next console generation what we really need is Final Fantasy 15 and GTA 5. It's been said that the current specs of the PS3 and 360 are almost impossible to distinguish with the naked eye. The only other games I can see making an honest attempt at re-establishing a genre or creating a new one is Ico/Shadow of the Colossus and the Metal Gear Solid series . . . but there are to be more, right?

Sorry, this is a lame attempt at trying to start a decent thread, which I probably have failed to do yet again.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Rising is something new and unique. Confirm/Deny
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Sims count? How about Yakuza, and Animal Crossing?
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you consider Animal Crossing just to be a Harvest Moon clone? I mean, I've never actually PLAYED Animal Crossing, but what do you think about that comparison? And the Sims . . . is that really something that redifined the simulation genre? Hasn't every Simulation game done that? Each one is pretty unique.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not call Animal Crossing a Harvest Moon clone.
GilloD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As excited as I am for Dead Rising (It not only sold me on an XBox360, but a 32" TV on which to savor it's HD goodness), it looks to be little more than a better thought out State of Emergency.

I suppose the sheer number of enemies could bring about a kind of chaos and excitement we haven't seen yet, but it doesn't feel like a "leap" to me. The last thing I played that made me feel like we were going places was HalfLife 2. The whole first act is just mindblowing and it only gets better from there. That's the kind of seamless, thoughtful immersion that should be defining next gen gaming.
GilloD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Couldn't you consider Animal Crossing just to be a Harvest Moon clone? I mean, I've never actually PLAYED Animal Crossing, but what do you think about that comparison? And the Sims . . . is that really something that redifined the simulation genre? Hasn't every Simulation game done that? Each one is pretty unique.

Animal Crossing reminds me of Harvest Moon (As in, both are repetitive and boring, but give endless wonder and joy in sub-30 minute intervals.), but I'd maintain that they're quite seperate. AC needs far less upkeep and affords the player much more freedom.

The Sims DEFINITLEY changed gaming. It took the whole macro aspect of simulation gameplay and pulled it down to the micro level. It's hard to say if it really redefined, anything, though. It's an awfully insular concept that's hard to incorporate into other designs.

What about Portal?
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you after games that redefine our expectations? Or modern-day RPGs?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
So are you after games that redefine our expectations? Or modern-day RPGs?

I wonder why, at least in these cases, they go so well together?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Hearts was pretty fresh back in the day.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: