The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manhunt for PS2, a clever take on violence?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Manhunt for PS2, a clever take on violence? Reply with quote

So I have a question, I know that someone on the forums must have played Manhunt. I looked it up on Wikipedia and from what it had said the game peeked my interest. The ideas of violence in the game sound very unique in a lot of ways. I just want to know if the game is really worth buying. Does anyone have any personal reactions to the game and it's violence? Or any opinions on the game's own views of violence within the game? Is the game playable? Did Rockstar take it up a notch with this game, and then never recieve recognition for it?

Enough questions though, answers are what really matters. I've never been a fan of Rockstar, and I have never been interested in the GTA series, but this game really seems like it could hold my interest.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simplistic and controlled in its gameplay, but it's also very emotional in a way that just doesn't get a lot of appreciation by people who claim to want more emotion in games. The problem is that the emotion it provides is a bit like "bad" emotion, if there is such a thing. It makes you feel bad for doing what you're doing. It puts you in the position of someone and forces you to do things you probably wouldn't want to do in real life simply because the game tells you to. This is in stark contrast to GTA, where you can choose whether or not you want to murder. Manhunt forces you to kill and then constantly reminds you of how brutal you're being.

It's may be worth playing if you're into that, but it's also kind of depressing.

It's also worth noting that Fight Night Round 3 for the Xbox 360 also provides a lot more emotion than it gets credit for. Unlike Manhunt, it's not "bad" emotion, but you'd have a hard time convincing people of that. EA can't possibly do anything good, so that means they must be doing nothing to propel the art form of videogames forward.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhunt is far better than it ever got credit for. I don't like the GTA series at all. It's rife with posturing and comes off as more and more cynical with every edition (Though I enjoyed the first one).

Manhunt isn't as heavy-handed. It's directed, literally, and has definite purpose in mind. It goes beyond the shock tactics (Which, personally, I feel can be very valid as artistic tools) and really does manage to snare you into its game. You start off a prisoner, but the moral dilemna most people bring up only truly comes out after that stage.

It plays well too. The underlying mechanics are simple and straight-forward, so there's not much to be lost in it. It's no Splinter Cell is what I'm saying. And it works for the best like that.

So yeah, I'd say it's worth a rental or at bargain price. It's not one of the greats, but it's purposeful and well designed.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Manhunt. I remember one stage where you have to sneak past a trailer house. There is a man inside sitting on the toilet (you can see him through the bathroom window. I had one of my victim's heads on my tool belt so I threw the head through the window and it hit the guy on the toilet. He came out screaming and I shot him in the face with a nailgun.

I've got to say the best part of the game is the dynamic musical score. The music has a gritty B-movie feel to it, and it gets downright eerie at times.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyboyd that replied, I plan on picking up the game soon after hearing your opinions on it. It's easy to call any piece of entertainment that uses violence as a vehicle for emotion, "heavy handed". It's also easy to simply dismiss the shock value and become engrossed within the violence itself, which fascinates me entirely. Weather or not I will come out of the experience with a heavy heart, or a feeling of complete immersion remains to be seen. I'll post in this thread when I acquire the game itself. Thanks again for the valid opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
I loved Manhunt. I remember one stage where you have to sneak past a trailer house. There is a man inside sitting on the toilet (you can see him through the bathroom window. I had one of my victim's heads on my tool belt so I threw the head through the window and it hit the guy on the toilet. He came out screaming and I shot him in the face with a nailgun.

I've got to say the best part of the game is the dynamic musical score. The music has a gritty B-movie feel to it, and it gets downright eerie at times.
You know before, I never thought I'd want to play Manhunt.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
DaleNixon wrote:

You know before, I never thought I'd want to play Manhunt.

I don't think you'll be missing anything even if you didn't.

It felt like a really limited Metal Gear from what little I saw Mariel play. A really ugly one. The game just felt really stupid to me, sorry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game also uses the microphone, I used the Xbox one. You can hear the director's commentary through it (instead of the speakers) and talk into it to attract the hunters' attention. Breathing heavily or gasps also can let them know your position depending on how high you have the tension.

It really is how the game is meant to be played.

Mainly the level of gratuitous violence is what scared the people off. Though if you were in Cash's shoes and you had crazy director who insisted on gory executions for high ratings, plus entire areas of people who want to kill you only for some pocket change the director promised them you would grudgingly comply too.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be kept in mind though that Cash isn't an angel himself. He was on deathrow for a reason, more than likely.

Knowing and accepting that kind of affected how I played. In the GTA series, for instance, everything is casual. You're a Hollywood gangster and you can do no wrong because cops rehash the same radio emergencies over and over again and drop dead easy.

In Manhunt, your executions are portrayed graphically and in-your-face. It gets common after a few hours, but that's the point: By the time you reach the stage where these gruesome butcherings get pedestrian, you're on a personal vengeance mission more than anything else.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always talked to people who confirmed my opinon that Manhunt is basically the kind of thing that I shouldn't support in games. Gratuitous violence for its own sake with no redeming qualities.

Just having a "bad" feeling is not enough for a game. GTA 3 makes me feel "bad." That alone is not a redeming quality. GoW is unredemingly immature and gratuitous.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GilloD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I have always talked to people who confirmed my opinon that Manhunt is basically the kind of thing that I shouldn't support in games. Gratuitous violence for its own sake with no redeming qualities.

Just having a "bad" feeling is not enough for a game. GTA 3 makes me feel "bad." That alone is not a redeming quality. GoW is unredemingly immature and gratuitous.

I might get a little long winded here, so bear with me: Do games reflect any kind of morality? When the horror film Hostel came out, I ended up in a long and largely pointless debate about whether or not the graphic violence in the film was, in fact, immoral or "wrong". I maintain that film owes nothing to morality because it doesn't actually exist. Every severed head, every tortured innocent, every plucked eyeball is the punchline to a long and elaborate prank.

But this, I think, represents the central point of contention. You either think this kind of violence is thrilling and funny or it's simply reprehensible. I'm someone who likes to be pushed and I find these kind of grotesque heights to be joyous occassions. I like the hyper-violence, I like watching people get mad and run out of the theater. To me, it's just a movie.

Of course, if I pay to go see Hostel, I know what I'm getting into. I think what had everyone so rattled about the roman in the cage in GoW was that there was no warning. Sure, it was a violent action game with a raging, reckless protagonist, but no where were we warned we'd be engaging in acts of outright sadism. The fact that, in this case, you were forced to participate is something else entirely.

That said, I walked into Manhunt knowing what I was walking into and so I don't find it's violence gratious, nor did I expect it to redeem itself. I thought the game itself sucked, but that's another thing entirely.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Emotion is a redeeming quality, is it not? The game is immersive and emotional in its brutality, not unlike many films. Taken outside of the context of Jack Thompson blaming games for murder and the ESRB business, taken on its own merits as we should be doing with all games isn't this enough to justify its existance?

It's like Persona said, the game's a bit like a poor man's Metal Gear Solid, but there's quite a bit of Silent Hill level emotion in there if that's what you're looking for.

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhunt is probably one of the few games that's so explicitly aware of the violent nature of videogames, and it uses this to exploit the player into feeling uncomfortable. In that sense then, the game is a success as it does what it sets out to do. However, if all it's doing is trying to make you feel uncomfortable then it's kind of a failure, because it could be doing and saying so much more than it actually is. Wasted potential, etc.

I doubt Rockstar and Co. were really setting out to make people rethink the role of violence in videogames but if that's what it ends up doing at the end of the day then I can't help but support it because that's an issue right now in dire need of attention from gamers, despite the fact that the game is bascially being violent for the sake of violence.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Emotion is a redeeming quality, is it not? The game is immersive and emotional in its brutality, not unlike many films.

GilloD wrote:
I might get a little long winded here, so bear with me: Do games reflect any kind of morality? When the horror film Hostel came out, I ended up in a long and largely pointless debate about whether or not the graphic violence in the film was, in fact, immoral or "wrong". I maintain that film owes nothing to morality because it doesn't actually exist. Every severed head, every tortured innocent, every plucked eyeball is the punchline to a long and elaborate prank.

I have to call bullshit on Manhunt being emotional. Raising your adrenaline level of exhilaration is not really an emotion. Does the game have some over-arching message? Is there retribution? Not unlike many films is kind of a cop-out. Most films that have the same level of violence as Manhunt don't do anything with it as stated by GilloD's example. In fact, rarely do they actually use violence in a manner to get across a message and the only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Man Bites Dog.

Also, what is a "Silent Hill level emotion"? The emotion in Silent Hill usually comes from the reflection upon what has happen, or occasionally from the immediate rationalization of what you are seeing. Emotion is a blurry word to use here. Are you referring to empathy, horror, disgust, intrigue, excitement? And which are redeeming? The emotions of excitement when suffocating a man with plastic wrap that has no moral impact (or worse, is handled immaturely) is a wasted emotion and ultimately hollow.

Is "fun" an emotion?

EDIT: Mr. Mech responded while I was typing, but this sums up exactly what I was hearing about the game and then came to the conclusion of myself:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I doubt Rockstar and Co. were really setting out to make people rethink the role of violence in videogames but if that's what it ends up doing at the end of the day then I can't help but support it because that's an issue right now in dire need of attention from gamers, despite the fact that the game is bascially being violent for the sake of violence.

It seems to be an explotation game.

GilloD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Emotion is a redeeming quality, is it not? The game is immersive and emotional in its brutality, not unlike many films.

GilloD wrote:

I have to call bullshit on Manhunt being emotional. Raising your adrenaline level of exhilaration is not really an emotion. Does the game have some over-arching message? Is there retribution? Not unlike many films is kind of a cop-out. Most films that have the same level of violence as Manhunt don't do anything with it as stated by GilloD's example. In fact, rarely do they actually use violence in a manner to get across a message and the only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Man Bites Dog.

Also, what is a "Silent Hill level emotion"? The emotion in Silent Hill usually comes from the reflection upon what has happen, or occasionally from the immediate rationalization of what you are seeing. Emotion is a blurry word to use here. Are you referring to empathy, horror, disgust, intrigue, excitement? And which are redeeming? The emotions of excitement when suffocating a man with plastic wrap that has no moral impact (or worse, is handled immaturely) is a wasted emotion and ultimately hollow.

Is "fun" an emotion?

EDIT: Mr. Mech responded while I was typing, but this sums up exactly what I was hearing about the game and then came to the conclusion of myself:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

I agree with you to a point, but GoW gets it's drive from Kratos' quest for REVENGE! Granted, his wanton violence and seeming lack of compassion make him hard to relate to. But in the same way, does Hamlet ring hollow merely because he is on a violent quest? The presentation is different, sure, but just because it's violent doesn't make it hollow.

How much is the player required to bring to the table in this case? How much is it our responsibility to not just play, but to feel?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Raising your adrenaline level of exhilaration is not really an emotion. Does the game have some over-arching message? Is there retribution?

Wuh? Have you even played the game? It's a slow and deliberate stealth game, without much of an adrenaline rush at all. The emotion comes from the atmosphere, and as I alluded to in the Silent Hill movie thread, for me the emotion in Silent Hill comes from atmosphere, and that's why the Silent Hill movie (the first half at least) was effective for me.

How the hell does "over-arching message/retribution" equal emotion?

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Who's it exploiting?

And, well, don't all games exploit us in some way? Does the average RPG or Collectathon Platformer not exploit the obsessive-compulsive nature of some gamers to get that 100% or "see it all"? Don't all games exploit us on some level, emotional or otherwise? Because if they didn't, would we still play them?

It's fine to not like the game out of personal disgust at the overusage of violence. That's a gut feeling type thing, but it's different for everyone. And it's a bad idea to try and rationalize your gut feelings to other people in these types of matters. As my Government instructor says when using a real world issue to illustrate an example of government in action (such as abortion or prayer in school), "Don't use your gut to figure this out, use your brain." because the issue itself is never so black and white that a gut feeling will do. It's the same way with pointless violence in any media. It either bothers you or it doesn't. Okay, so maybe that last sentence or two didn't make any sense just now, but you get what I'm saying.

Manhunt didn't really bother me either, but I suppose if it were more realistic, visually, I might have had doubts about the kind of enjoyment I was getting out of the game. As it was, it was still too cartoonish to make me feel anything other than "Oh, that's nice I guess.".

Last edited by Mr. Mechanical on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilloD wrote:
I agree with you to a point, but GoW gets it's drive from Kratos' quest for REVENGE! Granted, his wanton violence and seeming lack of compassion make him hard to relate to.

I am just going to re-link to my feelings on God of War from last year because I don't really like talking about the game: HERE
SuperWes wrote:
Wuh? Have you even played the game? It's a slow and deliberate stealth game, without much of an adrenaline rush at all. The emotion comes from the atmosphere, and as I alluded to in the Silent Hill movie thread, for me the emotion in Silent Hill comes from atmosphere, and that's why the Silent Hill movie (the first half at least) was effective for me.

No, I have not played the game, and I refuse to still at this point (well more refuse to spend any money at all on it). You still aren't clear on what emotion comes from the atmosphere. What the heck does that mean?

As far as the last question, it doesn't have to do with emotion, it has to do with my initial comment/questions about the game.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Who's it exploiting?

No, no, no. Wrong meaning here. I was saying that it was like an explotation film:

"Exploitation films, exploitative films or trash cinema is a genre of films that typically sacrifice traditional notions of artistic merit for a sensational display, often featuring sex, gore, and violence. The word "exploitation" itself is a show business term for publicizing shows and motion pictures. "Exploitation films" are those whose success relied not on the quality of their content, but on the ability of audiences to be drawn in by the advertising of the film."
That is what I am saying.

EDIT: Also, I am not saying it is a terrible waste or that it should be burned and banned. I am just saying that in the current state of things relating to games and especially the public opinion of them I am refusing to support this kind of entertainment. Also, my gut tells me that it would be exceptionally shallow entertainment at best and my money would be spent better elsewhere.

Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I had some fun with it. But then, I also really liked God of War.

And calling it exploitative seems a bit harsh, because you could argue that it is trying to bring to attention the role of violence in modern entertainment or something like that which would place it squarely in the realm of "artistic" or whatever.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
And calling it exploitative seems a bit harsh, because you could argue that it is trying to bring to attention the role of violence in modern entertainment or something like that which would place it squarely in the realm of "artistic" or whatever.

I couldn't, but you should! This is what I am trying to get out. I would like to see you prove this, in fact. Actually, hell, I challenge you to an article for the next issue proving this. I warn you I will be pretty harsh on it.

GilloD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I don't know, I had some fun with it. But then, I also really liked God of War.

I think GoW is the PRIME example of exploitation in the medium. When it comes to the soldier and the cage, it says, "If you want to continue on to the rest of this game, which you do, then you will complete this morally dubious act". I just wrote an e-mail to Shaper and said: "The linear progression in a video game and your forced participation in the game bring us much closer to a need for moral accountability than in the case of film or TV where the act of watching and reacting is much more passive than active". In this case, my participation is FORCED if I want to continue. That's a bit exploitative, isn't it?

You could argue that all games exploit the player in this manner, but it's sort of a more potent question when it's in a situation like GoW or Manhunt propose.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, games = murder.

conflict is life. war is the health of the state. etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

No, I have not played the game, and I refuse to still at this point (well more refuse to spend any money at all on it). You still aren't clear on what emotion comes from the atmosphere. What the heck does that mean?

As far as the last question, it doesn't have to do with emotion, it has to do with my initial comment/questions about the game.

Well, the basic plot of the game is the same as Death Race 2000 but without the cars. Your guy in a murderer who is thrown into a game where other murderers try to kill you. The guy who put you in there also speaks to you through a headset that you have on, which mimics the headset you can wear in real life (as Pijaibros said). I haven't beaten the game, so I'm not sure how it ends, but it's safe to assume that it ends with you killing the guy who put you in there.

The game treats violence in a way so different from God of War that it's insulting to compare the two. God of War plays with violence in a fun way, with a total focus on "Oh my god, I know he didn't!" while Manhunt takes it very seriously and focuses the entire game on making you think about what violence means. Manhunt made people feel bad for killing long before Shadow of Colossus came around and made it trendy to say so. This is the emotion I'm talking about.

Since you haven't played the game, it sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions based on box art and game origin.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Since you haven't played the game, it sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions based on box art and game origin.

I am making assumptions based on reviews, news, opinions, and advertising. I know what the plot is, that's not the point. Also, why do you feel bad for killing? Most people who I have heard reports from say that they revel in how "cool" it is to kill people, and that is how the game was spun in the media. I am making assumptions and I feel they are pretty well based in truth.

Also, you never finish games.

Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good analysis of many of the different things that Manhunt does,

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/feature.php?featuretype=edi&fea=ManhuntIntro

nonetheless I have to say that it is still -wrong- and it fetishes aggression and violence /fear and vulnerability.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it fetishizes aggression and violence /fear and vulnerability.

isn't it better to see the naked lunch at the end of your fork?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Nonetheless I have to say that it is still -wrong- and it fetishes aggression and violence /fear and vulnerability.

The same case could be made for any game wherein you need to destroy/murder/kill/execute/jump-on-top-of/saw/slash/shoot perceived threats down in order to score points or achieve your goals. Or survival-horror games.

Okay, that's me being pedantic, but there's something that intrigues me about what you said here:

How is "fetishising" fear, and especially vulnerability, wrong, in terms of what games generally set out to achieve? Where's the elation in gunning down a row of targets/escaping the deathrap labyrinth/winning a dogfight is there's no risk to your avatar, and by extension, no connection to the player?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I am making assumptions based on reviews, news, opinions, and advertising. I know what the plot is, that's not the point. Also, why do you feel bad for killing? Most people who I have heard reports from say that they revel in how "cool" it is to kill people, and that is how the game was spun in the media. I am making assumptions and I feel they are pretty well based in truth.

You're no better than Jack Thompson.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

Hey, fuck you.

Seriously.

What the hell is your issue? Why can't I personally not purchase a game that I feel is preying on the gore-ification of games and resulting in mindless slaughter? I put my money where my mouth is.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

actually, his hair is already legions better than jack thompson.

and people obviously should not support titles that they feel cross ethical boundaries, or even mere issues of taste. (see: boobicon)

see also: like, duh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well man, you know I'm mostly joking. Like, mostly like almost all the way. But my point remains that you have strong convictions against a game that you've never played, and are only aware of through hearsay.

I'm not saying that you should buy the game, I'm just saying that you shouldn't steer people away from something based on no more experience with the game than the people you're advising.

Also: read that link Ketch posted. It's pretty good!

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

I couldn't, but you should! This is what I am trying to get out. I would like to see you prove this, in fact. Actually, hell, I challenge you to an article for the next issue proving this. I warn you I will be pretty harsh on it.

You know I was actually planning on something like this already, but whatever. You also know I really don't care that much about Manhunt the game or what it potentially might be trying to say about the nature of violence in videogames, but again, whatever. You'll get your article, don't worry.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilloD wrote:
In this case, my participation is FORCED if I want to continue. That's a bit exploitative, isn't it?

Eh, "forced" implies that there wasn't any other way out of the situation when in reality you had the choice all along to stop playing the moment your sensibilities became offended yet chose not to. Just like anyone has the option to walk out of a movie theater. I don't really see how pushing a few buttons on a controller makes this that different. Does that mean you don't get to see how it ends? Yup, that's exactly what it means but you went into knowing that so the choice was yours.

Besides, back in the days of ancient Greece the gods demanded sacrifice and that's all that poor soldier in the cage was, but that's just me explaining away things in a trivial fashion.

-snip-
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the fuck won't it let me post the rest of this? I've got more but I can't post it or edit it into my previous posts. Keep getting a Forbidden error message.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 5 is alive!
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhunt is totally an exploitation game in the sense that Last House on the Left is an exploitation film.

That NTSC-UK article is pretty good for covering what it feels like to play the game. Of course, plenty of people are not going to "get it"; however, there are people who find the violence in Full Metal Jacket to be hilarious. I hardly see how this makes playing the game/watching the film a worthless experience.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I picked up the game for $3.00 and reached the third level. During the first level I wasn't really to keen on anything it was simple and logical, paint by numbers stealth gameplay. I couldn't feel anything from the game nor did I recognize any sort of important underlying message. During the second level things started to change, the game started becoming more and more agressive, it took it up a notch. More hunters hunting you, more agressive and the death scenes became more agressive as well.

By the third level, I was in a way shell-shocked when I had scene the death scene with the machete. Within 30 minutes of gameplay I quickly became used to it. I also in a way "enjoyed" killing white supremacists. Then again, wasn't the game forcing me to fit the role of a murderer as the avatar? Someone who obviously takes glee within their own killing habits? That's certainly a strong focus within the game itself, a disturbing one at that. It really asks you to reflect on your actions, and that's important. I certainly never reflected on my actions when I blew away a hundred or so people in any FPS, or when I killed a ton of zombies in any Survival Horror game.

I think the gameplay is certainly different in some ways, it is a poor man's MGS, but it also has some interesting things to say. I'm certainly not displeased with a game that makes me feel remorse for taking some sort of pleasure within violence or killing. Remorse for killing people that aren't innocent at all, in fact all enemies are just as bad as you. There are no protaganists in the game. I mean, it's a very negative feeling that is being constantly projected. The game's atmosphere and music are straight out of a 70's horror film, akin to Texas Chainsaw Massacre's house, or the Nuclear Test Site Town in the re-make of Hills Have Eyes. It's dark, really dark and it just progressively hounds you with a certain degree of tension.

Until you ease into that tension because the killing becomes easier and easier for you. I do like the game, it leaves me a bit heavy handed at the end of the day, but it certainly says more then what everyone led it to believe. As for exploitation, well everyone's views on it are vastly different. I know Shaper that you and I have discussed this many times in our cinema talks. I'm a fan of Miike's work, and a lot of it goes against your opinions, and that's certainly cool with me. I just don't want to set anybody off, so I hope this post was just informative instead of a time bomb.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played a good hour of the game over the weekend. I played it on someone else's PS2 using someone else's copy! Anyways, it was just not very good. It was very voyeuristic and I think it could eventually try to say something interesting. Overall it felt like a micromanagement GTA game with a minor upgraded engine. There were so many mechanics that got in the way of me playing the game well it was not worth it to borrow the game and explore further. It was also not as violent as I expected, brutal is a better word to use.

Anyways, that thing on NTSC-UK isn't too bad. I think some of the statements made could be made on many generic/general "knocked for violence" games, but the specific items were good. It was a little long winded though, even for me.

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Manhunt is totally an exploitation game in the sense that Last House on the Left is an exploitation film.
Yea, this is all I was saying.

Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think would be interesting is a comparison between Manhunt and Forbidden Siren, which are almost cousins in some ways. Both being stealth based survival horror-type games. But with different tactics.

(Good luck finding someone who has completed both games, since Manhunt is very hard, but Forbidden Siren is -nails-.)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
(Good luck finding someone who has completed both games, since Manhunt is very hard, but Forbidden Siren is -nails-.)

Siren isn't that hard. Once I was informed that a friend was stuck at an "impossible" part in the game. Being the bragger that I am I claimed that I could get past it in 3 tries. I failed to do that, but I hadn't played the game in about 8 months, and I didn't remember the mission well, so it took me four tries, but overall less than a half hour!

SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whispering you can hear from your XBox headset is the only reason that I have become somewhat interested in this game.
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROTIP: play until it gives you guns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: