The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Lucky Wander Boy"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: "Lucky Wander Boy" Reply with quote

Has anyone else read D. B. Weiss' "Lucky Wander Boy"? It's a great little novel...
Quote:
I suggest that if we, through force of imagination, were to dilate time to experience it as the Pac-Man does, and increase the resolution to allow us to read as much into each pixel as the Pac-Man must, we would not see the identical dots as identical at all. When the microscopic differences in each pixel are made large, each dot will possess a snowflake's uniqueness, and the acquisiion of each--no, the experience of each--will bring the Pac-Man a very specific and distinct joy or sorrow. The dots all rack up points equally, of course, in retrospect, however, some are revealed as wrong choices, links in a chain of wrong choices that trace out a wrong path leading to a withering demise beneath the adorable and utterly unforgiving eyes of Blinky, Inky, Pinky, or Clyde.

I guess I reviewed it for rec.games.video.classic a few years ago. (Partially because they mention the Usenet gaming groups.)

Anyway, a good read. The idea of a "Catalogue of Obsolete Entertainments" is pretty cool.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to read that novel. In fact, I'm not exactly sure why I haven't yet...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard pretty negative things about it. I bought it over a year ago now, but because of all the negative feedback I never pull it off my shelf . . .

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've only read the angry reactions of people who have read it and commented...angrily.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I have heard pretty negative things about it. I bought it over a year ago now, but because of all the negative feedback I never pull it off my shelf . . .

Negative? Like what?

It doesn't quite live up to its potential (I'd love to see more and more entries like that Pac-Man bit), and there are some technological eyebrow raisers, but conceptually it's great, and I don't remember it as being too difficult of a read.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that you have heard so much negative about it.

Every review, mostly casual, blog-y stuff, linked to from the first page of Google hits for "Lucky Wander Boy" is positive, if not glowing.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Seryogin will bring his commentary to the table, I know that he was one of the overly negative commentators on it that is here.

Mainly I just get the opinion that it is poorly written and not very interesting at times.

Then again, I did read Powered-Up... which is about half good and half Final Fantasy wanking.

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If memory serves, it wasn't stellar writing, or flawlessly constructed, and it had a kind of interesting metapointlessness to parts of it, but I thought it worked pretty well.

Mostly I measure books by their "cool ideas to # of pages ratio", and by this measure Lucky Wander Boy stands up well. (This ratio is also one of the reasons why I shun most large reading endeavors, a book has to have a HELL of a lot of ideas to be worth more than 350 or so pages.)
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, Lucky Wander Boy has way more intelligent things to say than Power-Up.

I actually remember really liking it. It's been a while since I've read it, though, so I'm not sure what else I can say about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my brothers! Why must I hate so many things? Is there no peach for this foolish boy with a heart of iron?

No...not when dishonest, evil tripe like Lucky Wander Boy is continually thrown upon my exalted altar. I've said all of these things so many times, that it's giving me a headache, but liking Lucky Wander Boy is a symptom of hardcore suckerdom. Okay, maybe that's too harsh. I recall, Mr. Mech and I arguing about this a long time ago... It's a sham of a novel, a dirty piece of pure toxic waste boiled in the seething, vile cauldrons of Iowa. It's the same type of "ironic" hipster tripe that's called great literature by beige snobs who think Dave Eggers is a riot. Even though it's the same bullshit as Franzen's Corrections, only with some cheap, unfunny, un-lucid videogame pedantry thrown into the mix.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony is the new sincerity.

Anyway, do you have any links where you talk about what bugs you about this book? I'd seriously be interested in detailed criticism but I don't want to make you relive something you find so unpleasant, or redundant...
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an article up on my lj, though I lost it when most of my lj magically disappeared. I also made a long post on IC about it, back when I did post and that was over a year ago.

If you'd really like, I'll write it all again, but I doubt it would be particularly informative to you.

And irony is not the new sincerity. Self-conscious irony is the worst trait of modern Americans. It kills anything good about human beings and makes humor and any sort of interesting or affecting thought almost impossible.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
And irony is not the new sincerity. Self-conscious irony is the worst trait of modern Americans. It kills anything good about human beings and makes humor and any sort of interesting or affecting thought almost impossible.

I don't think it does.
Americans have been soaking in a particular form of crass captialist marketing culture for a long while. The irony results from that in part. We've developed a constant need and ability to look for the message behind the message....

We're ahead of the marketeers in some ways. They can't run focus groups the way they used to, because the people in them can't stop looking behind the surface of the ideas being presented, and thinking about "what do they want me to think" instead of merely "what do I think?"

Irony doesn't block our sincerity, at least for people who have grown up with it. And besides, it's fun.
Zack

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this book a a few years ago. I liked some elebits of it, the brief passages like the Pac-Man bit excerpted by kirkjerk. Those passages were not very common, though, so I don't think the book merits a thumbs up for those, and there wasn't much else to like.

I remember being extremely frustrated by the ending of the book, such as it wasn't. I know it must have been designed to frustrate the reader, but I won't pretend I liked being fucked with.

When I finished this book, it was on the train ride home from work. I remember walking in the door, hurling the book at the wall, and yeling, "FUCK Lucky Wander Boy."
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it a few years ago. I enjoyed it for the most part back then, as far as these types of stories go. It got a little heavy handed in a few spots, particularly the image of the main character sitting amidst all of his Atari carts in some kind of alter still sticks out in my mind, but it's got its clever moments.

The Catalogue of Obsolete Entertainments wasn't nearly as fleshed out for me as I would have liked. There only, what? Five or six game entries throughout the entire book? I think it would have been even cleverer if Weiss had made an actual catalogue and then appendixed it in the back of the book.
GilloD

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Oh, my brothers! Why must I hate so many things? Is there no peach for this foolish boy with a heart of iron?

No...not when dishonest, evil tripe like Lucky Wander Boy is continually thrown upon my exalted altar. I've said all of these things so many times, that it's giving me a headache, but liking Lucky Wander Boy is a symptom of hardcore suckerdom. Okay, maybe that's too harsh. I recall, Mr. Mech and I arguing about this a long time ago... It's a sham of a novel, a dirty piece of pure toxic waste boiled in the seething, vile cauldrons of Iowa. It's the same type of "ironic" hipster tripe that's called great literature by beige snobs who think Dave Eggers is a riot. Even though it's the same bullshit as Franzen's Corrections, only with some cheap, unfunny, un-lucid videogame pedantry thrown into the mix.

First of all: Eggers is a good writer any way you cut it. Taking potshots at him is the hipster-anti-hipster parlor game. Ironic? Hardly. He's more earnest than any of his counterparts and a hell of a guy to boot.

THAT SAID!: Lucky Wander Boy kind of lucky wander sucks. It's interesting, because I bring it up all the time in discussions of SotC. It has some nice things to say, but for the most part it's meandering and unlikable. The ending (HAR HAR LIKE A VIDEO GAME!) is just barely there. LWB the game, within the book, is far more interesting than the book itself. But it's a short read, so I'd give it a shot if you're that interested.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was interesting when I read that Weiss apparently was involved in the Mortal Kombat movie on some level. This is the obvious inspiriation for the Eviscerator movie described in the book, but also the same (real life) company went on to produce Beowulf, which matches pretty much exactly his description of the (fictional) Viking movie. So this makes me wonder how much of the parts of the book set at the movie company were based on his actual experiences.

Also, I enjoyed the book but I found it neither ironic nor humorous. Did I read it wrong or something? Is that even possible? Just not sure where you get intent from, Seryogin.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was pretty cute.

"Gnostic Donkey Kong" was hilarious.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I saw this book at the local used book store a couple of years ago for six bucks. I flipped through it a bit and decided that was too much to pay for it. I didn't realize it had any following anywhere; to me it just seemed like someone's idea of pulp fiction for nerds. Granted, being a nerd it had some draw I guess. But while there may have been some interesting ideas in there somewhere, the author did not express them with much finesse. Take that quote up there:
Quote:
The dots all rack up points equally, of course, in retrospect, however, some are revealed as wrong choices, links in a chain of wrong choices that trace out a wrong path leading to a withering demise beneath the adorable and utterly unforgiving eyes of Blinky, Inky, Pinky, or Clyde.

I don't think I've seen that many commas in a single sentence since the last José Saramago novel came out. Tch.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Hey, I saw this book at the local used book store a couple of years ago for six bucks. I flipped through it a bit and decided that was too much to pay for it. I didn't realize it had any following anywhere; to me it just seemed like someone's idea of pulp fiction for nerds. Granted, being a nerd it had some draw I guess. But while there may have been some interesting ideas in there somewhere, the author did not express them with much finesse. Take that quote up there:
Quote:
The dots all rack up points equally, of course, in retrospect, however, some are revealed as wrong choices, links in a chain of wrong choices that trace out a wrong path leading to a withering demise beneath the adorable and utterly unforgiving eyes of Blinky, Inky, Pinky, or Clyde.

I don't think I've seen that many commas in a single sentence since the last José Saramago novel came out. Tch.

But don't you see? It's all meta! Each dot slows Pac-Man by a small amount, a small pause. He cruises with greater speed over areas he's already cleared. The use of commas in the prose then virtually become the very dots discussed. Of course periods would better resemble the dots on a base physical level, but in terms of how they effect the flow of text (vs the warp and woof of the game) commas are the most representative choice, with their ability to slow rather than stop.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewwww.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
But don't you see? It's all meta! Each dot slows Pac-Man by a small amount, a small pause. He cruises with greater speed over areas he's already cleared. The use of commas in the prose then virtually become the very dots discussed. Of course periods would better resemble the dots on a base physical level, but in terms of how they effect the flow of text (vs the warp and woof of the game) commas are the most representative choice, with their ability to slow rather than stop.

I... I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

The sad thing is, if I told something like that to my AP English teacher she'd tell me that I'm being too abstract and I need to find "textual evidence".
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, my AP english teacher was so much better than yours. He was well over 60 years old and showed us the claymation version of "Junky's Chirstmas." before winter break.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gotta get me a copy of that.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggers puts together a good sentence, sure. And if he wants to, Eggers can put together a good story. He just doesn't use any of his talent for anything productive. A confessional memoir mixed with an ironic--I don't know why you think he's such an earnest writer--succession of literary clichés is not productive. If he wants to overcome convention, he doesn't need to make fun of it like some adolescent asking himself whether the blue color he sees is really somebody else's green or brown or orange. I did think the drawing of the stapler was good for a quick laugh, though. Oh, and I haven't read You Shall Know Our Velocity!: should I?
GSL

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
The sad thing is, if I told something like that to my AP English teacher she'd tell me that I'm being too abstract and I need to find "textual evidence".

Wait until you take college lit crit courses: they're just the opposite! It's awful!

But more on topic: I'm slightly intrigued by the amount of flak this book is taking. Why is it so bad, and what would be an acceptable price to pay for a copy at a used book store if one was so inclined?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

Wait until you take college lit crit courses: they're just the opposite! It's awful!

But more on topic: I'm slightly intrigued by the amount of flak this book is taking. Why is it so bad, and what would be an acceptable price to pay for a copy at a used book store if one was so inclined?

Some people like this book, and find its riffing on the "deeper" meaning of games amusing, and the core premise of this unsolvable, unemulated mystey arcade game to be cool.

Others dislike it immensly, think it's trying too hard, and/or doesn't have enough interesting stuff to make up for its sins in tones and style.

Most reviews in blogs and what seem to be from the first camp. I guess if you dislike it you tend not to blog about it, but maybe point out the problems w/ it on msg boards.

I'm in the first camp, I'd say anything up to 10 would be reasonable for it used.

People in the second camp would say it's not worth the time invested to read it, so unless they give you money to take a copy it's not going to be worth it.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

Well, if it's the opposite I'll do just fine, hopefully.

I cannot wait for college, even though I have one more year of high school left. I'll probably regret feeling this way when I actually get to college, though.
GilloD

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Eggers puts together a good sentence, sure. And if he wants to, Eggers can put together a good story. He just doesn't use any of his talent for anything productive. A confessional memoir mixed with an ironic--I don't know why you think he's such an earnest writer--succession of literary clichés is not productive. If he wants to overcome convention, he doesn't need to make fun of it like some adolescent asking himself whether the blue color he sees is really somebody else's green or brown or orange. I did think the drawing of the stapler was good for a quick laugh, though. Oh, and I haven't read You Shall Know Our Velocity!: should I?

As for being productive, the ma has founded two non-profit writing centers with his book profits. He's been working with the Lost Boys of Sudan, the McSweeny's Empire (WHICH GROWS WITH EVERY PASSING MOMENT) put out "The Future Dictionary", profits from which went to pro-democrat orgs. The point is, he's at least busier than Safran-Foer or Franzen or Kunkel. But I suppose you're not really referring to any of that.

I don't know that he's every being ironic. Anything in that book is preceded by Tristam Shandy, sure, but I feel like so much of the negativity directed at Eggers is the same kind of backlash we see anytime something underground goes bigtime. I think he's earnest because he is so self aware. Anytime he's tearing something down, it's out of some righteous self-interested anger, I don't think he ever expects us to see him as clever or in the right,

Regardless, I think what the book will most be remembered for is kicking off so much of this, pardon the term, indie-lit. I think it's a good thing, but HBWOSG is at the forefornt, in my mind.

As for YSKOV, it's much more consistent than Heartbreaking Work... but as much as it manages to avoid it's low points, it also never hits the high notes, either. His collection of short fiction is equally scattershot, but it strikes a chord, nonetheless.

All of this said, I think there are writers equally as good and better than Eggers every month in McSweeny's.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggers and his ilk have never been "underground," he and his Iowa pals have been fouling up American letters for a good amount of time now.

This Amazon review (by the ever lucid and mighty John Dolan) pretty much sums up the ethos of Eggers and vile clique:

Quote:
If this novel were a t-shirt, it would read MY PARENTS DIED SLOW HORRIBLE DEATHS AND ALL I GOT WAS A HUNDRED PAGES. Eggers' book, stripped of its elaborate prefatory flourishes, is a brief, formulaic parents'-death memoir--the most venerable and formulaic genre of the American literary workshop. For generations, American workshop writers have exploited the deaths of their fathers, mothers, dogs, cats, rats, parrots, imaginary siblings and falsified grandparents for literary gain. Dave Eggers, who admits that he was submitting short stories about his mother's death before her body wa s cold, is only the latest in a long line of desperate ambition-machines who have sold their relatives' bodies to the meat-processors of art. Why, then, has his parents'-death story been so successful?
Eggers' strategy is simple, but effective: instead of hiding his crime, he flaunts it, even as he hopes to keep the tears flowing. It's quite a performance, in its way: rather like going for both the low and high hand in a game of poker. For example, Eggers spends twenty pages squeezing tears from the reader over the accident which befell his friend Shalini, then admits that he hardly knew her. In the same way, after spending a hundred pages telling that cliche of cliches, that Everest of workshop drivel, the "Mom's Slow Death by Cancer" narrative, he admits that he began submitting short stories about his mom's death before her body was cold.

For Eggers, literary success is the result of a very simple arithmetic: one corpse equals one chapter. Two corpses--his mom and dad, who die with all violins playing in the first hundred pages of the book--provide the momentum to get the "novel" underway.

These first hundred pages work pretty well, in a workshoppy way, milking the parents' deaths for every little droplet. After that,only Dave's little brother Toph is left as pathos-device Toph's vulnerability and Dave's tender conscience have to carry the load, and the dropoff is so stark it makes the Marianas Trench look like a handicapped ramp. Wile E. Coyote has fallen off cliffs which didn't drop off this dramatically.

Caring for one's little brother, which anyone from a less self-centred culture would do happily, becomes for Dave a terrible martyrdom, because it distracts him from his true duty as a young American: the pursuit of celebrity by any means necessary. The reader is supposed to find his concern for his little brother heroic. The implications about American culture are horrifying, above all because, based on readers' comments on Amazon, American readers really do accept caring for a brother as a deeply noble act, rather than a given.

As Dave admits in his Preface, "The book thereafter is sort of uneven," since it covers "...the lives of people in their early twenties, [whose] lives are very difficult to make interesting..." Yeah, you can see his predicament. Who ever heard of a good novel about the lives of people in their twenties? Talk about barren ground!

Dave does his best with this thankless material, always depending on ol' Toph to keep the audience reaching for their hankies every time his tales of upper-middle-class careerist banality become "difficult to make interesting." If you had to make a t-shirt out of the latter three-quarters of the novel, it would be worn by Dave, with one of those arrows pointing toward Toph, and reading I'M TAKING CARE OF STUPID, ALL BY MYSELF, or perhaps, HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S MY TICKET TO FAME!

When Dave can bring his dying parents on stage, he's a passable writer; once they're gone, we're left with nothing but his stunningly banal, depressing search for literary fame at any price. To this end, Dave and his midwestern preppie friends. start a magazine, giving it the coy name "Might." There's no better way to convey the flatness of the enterprise than to quote the manifesto published in its first issue:

"Could there really be more to a generation than illiterate, uninspired, flannel-wearing 'slackers'? Could a bunch of people under twenty-five put out a national magazine with no corporate backing [note: as Dave unwisely confesses elsewhere, his mag was started by dipping into his inheritance; thus his career is founded quite literally on his parents' deaths, just like his narrative.] and no clue about marketing? With actual views about actual issues? With a sense of purpose and a sense of humor? With guts and goals and hope? Who would read a magazine like that? You might."

Then again, you might not, especially if you don't want a horrifying glimpse into the beige souls of Dave and his friends, who have no emotions other than a protozoan crawl toward fame at any price.

And it's worked for him. That's the scariest part. In Dave's culture, that settles it: you can't argue with success, as the vultures say.

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who ever heard of a good novel about the lives of people in their twenties? Talk about barren ground!

jim dolan is very funny when he's snotty.

totally unfair character assassination, but very funny.

edit: i dislike most of the "new yorker" fiction group (not just cause they live next door, almost literally in some cases) for the same reason most "new games journalism" is not worth reading. i don't know if sergei shares that assessment. (i can't totally bash on them anymore since i got a deus ex magazine-ina for a recent paper)
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike most modern American fiction for the most part, the New Yorker-group especially.

The last "modern" novel that I read was Pattern Recognition, by good ol' William Gibson, and I was shocked...I couldnt' believe that this was the same man who wrote Neuromancer. Apologies to both GSL and Mr. Mech, but PR just sucked horribly; it's so worthless that I threw it into the trash on the train ride home. Remember that tokkotai short story you sent me, GSL? Well, that's honestly better than PR.

I don't understand what's wrong with Americans these days? You gave the world Philip K. Dick and John Toland, Flannery O'Connor and Henry Miller. You invented modern science fiction and then cyberpunk. Yet, your writers these days are all trash, even the so-called "literary ones."

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies necessicary for Pattern Recognition; it was certainly a different beast. I can't say I disliked it for sure, but it was the only one of Gibson's novels that I have not re-read even once. My eBay-ed advance review copy sits on my bookshelf, untouched since I closed the back cover in March of 2003. I like to think my ability to appreciate decent writing has improved since then, so I really ought to re-read it and try and form some concrete impression about it. I remember the modern-day setting was certainly a bit odd considering Gibson's typical timeframe of a future just out of reach. I think a lot of his usual magic was lost due to this--as a middle schooler and high schooler when I first read most of Gibson's books, I remember being fascinated by these plausable and almost impending futures he could weave into his narratives, scenes that combined the infinite possibilities of science and technology with the grime and decay wrought by the inexorable march of time and present already in our own world. Pattern Recognition didn't really bring anything terribly new to the table, as it leaves little to our imagination. Ironically, I was less able to envision and relate to Cayce Pollard Googling up some tidy scrap of information than I was to Case in almost any part of Neuromancer.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this; it's 3 am and I ought to be asleep. Basically, I think that the present-day setting combined with very Gibson-esque characters is a forumula that doesn't work. And most of it is set in LONDON, for God's sake! How much more generic of an 'exotic locale' can you come up with?

I highly doubt, Sergei, that the story I sent you is anywhere close to being as--relatively--good as Pattern Recognition, but then I think very little of my work in the first place, so my opinion is rather irrelevant. Thanks, either way, for the compliment! And I take it that you've finished Neuromancer?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
I take it that you've finished Neuromancer?

He has, but he only likes the first chapter. Sergei seems to have a very discerning taste in literature, and at times seems a little excessive in his ire towards American authors. But then, he wasn't born and raised in America so I don't fault him for that. America and her sensibilities aren't that pretty and impressive to someone on the outside looking in. Hell, they're not that pretty and impressive to most people on the inside looking out.

I've only read a third of Patter Recognition, but I enjoyed what I had read of it at the time. Now I can't say anything of what I read seems to really stand out for me, other than the contemporary setting.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Sergei's un-watered-down ire is at least reminding me of my attempts to discern what's important to me in books. And I guess I have to admit, it's not traditionally literary...

I think books that are solely about the human struggle and condition and passions and triumph and despair are pointless. Live your damn life, don't read about others. What I think books can really bring to the table are new ideas, new perspectives about the same old world. Concept over narrative. Cleverness over passion.

Oddly enough there's a parallel between this and my interest in 2600-era games, and there might be a TGQ article lurking in there if I ever work up the chutzpah.

I'm sure my Russian girlfriend would like for me tackle some of the giants of Russian literature, Dostoevsky and Tolstoy and what not, but the books (at least by reputation) seem too massive to have a good "novelty per page" ratio that I'm looking for. (On the other hand I might reconsider a reread of "Master and Margarita" now that they say there's a stronger translation of it.)

Conversely, the (il)logical conclusion of my preference for ideas over story leads to stuff like "The DaVinci Code". Which might've been good without all the running around.

Just wondering, Sergei, are you familiar with and what do you think of Milan Kundera? In my outlook he does a good job of balancing what I like in reading with what I think of as some of the elements of traditional literature.

As for Eggers hunting for fame, who can blame him? Cultural fame or even infamy is about as close to immortality as this world has to offer.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for being productive, the man has founded two non-profit writing centers with his book profits. He's been working with the Lost Boys of Sudan, the McSweeny's Empire (WHICH GROWS WITH EVERY PASSING MOMENT) put out "The Future Dictionary", profits from which went to pro-democrat orgs. The point is, he's at least busier than Safran-Foer or Franzen or Kunkel. But I suppose you're not really referring to any of that.

I suppose not, but thanks. It saddens me that McSweeny's an empire now. I'm glad that if if has to grow, though, it's growing in all caps.

Quote:
I don't understand what's wrong with Americans these days? You gave the world Philip K. Dick and John Toland, Flannery O'Connor and Henry Miller. You invented modern science fiction and then cyberpunk. Yet, your writers these days are all trash, even the so-called "literary ones."

Try Edward P. Jones or Jhumpa Lahiri. They each have a novel and a collection of short stories out. I've read Lahiri's The Interpreter of Maladies and The Namesake and Jones's The Known World. I'm finishing up Lost in the City now. All four are worth your time.

Quote:
I'm sure my Russian girlfriend would like for me tackle some of the giants of Russian literature, Dostoevsky and Tolstoy and what not, but the books (at least by reputation) seem too massive to have a good "novelty per page" ratio that I'm looking for. (On the other hand I might reconsider a reread of "Master and Margarita" now that they say there's a stronger translation of it.)

It seems like you're just looking for something shorter rather than actually looking for the ratio when it comes to books you decide to read, and then judging them based on that ratio afterwards. Gogol's short stories ("The Overcoat" and "Nevsky Prospekt" in particular) should satisfy you on both accounts. I could be mistaken, but I think the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky who are responsible for that new Bulgakov translation as well as all of Dostoevsky's novels have recently translated some Gogol, too.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly care for Kundera (mostly because the only good book the Czechs ever produced was The Good Soldier Schweik by Jaroslav Hasek). I find him boring, but then our tastes in literature seem to be very different.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to post some stuff making fun of both william gibson and mcsweeney's but that's pretty pointless, so here are some unrelated links to russians sporting high fashion:

http://www.viceland.com/int/dos_donts/72/main.jpg

http://www.viceland.com/int/dd.php?id=69&country=us

http://www.viceland.com/int/dd.php?id=68&country=us

http://www.viceland.com/int/dd.php?id=67&country=us

i really like that first guy.

edit: there's probably some very good american fiction out there but i'm still catching up to the 20th century and won't get there for a while.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Russians are pretty stylish (I mean that, I like the way they dress more than Americans).

Incidentally, I was listening to some Russian rap today and couldn't contain my laughter. Most Russian rap is just a copy of everything that Americans produce--only in Russia. So you have one minute long skits with Russians saying shit like "Yo, blow it up (rus. for light up that weed)," and cops appearing with long shoot outs. It was even worse when I was watching a video of Seryoga (a bastard that happens to have my name, his only good song is About Football, which is based around Russian weed puns).

You see, I bought a Bad Balance cd last year, because my friend told me that one of their songs (Cossacks) really rocks. And, yeah, it's pretty good; wasn't worth the album though. The high point came when I was listening to a song called Moscow-New York, which has a chorus sung by some "pipe-hitin' niggaz" (to quote Mr. Wallace) that goes something like "We livin' it up in New York to Moscow, goin' round and round." The Russian portion of the song attempts to compare Russian reality to the New York thug life, which is so ridiculous as to be a parody of itself. I find it sad that most Russian rap is a parody of itself (I mean, how can you take a group calling themselves "The White Niggaz" seriously?).

The only exeption is a Belarussian rapper named Dolphin, whose lyrics are truly profound (though his work sounds more like techno/house with an early twentieth century poet boredly reading his work). His songs are completely original and not at all an imitation of anything Western; he's depressing and eerily prescient and eloquent about topics like love--he has a trio of songs celebrating the Russian holy trininity Lyubov, Nadezhda, Vera (rus. for love, hope, and faith; incidentally all are also Russian girls' names).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Incidentally, I was listening to some Russian rap today and couldn't contain my laughter. Most Russian rap is just a copy of everything that Americans produce--only in Russia. So you have one minute long skits with Russians saying shit like "Yo, blow it up (rus. for light up that weed)," and cops appearing with long shoot outs. It was even worse when I was watching a video of Seryoga (a bastard that happens to have my name, his only good song is About Football, which is based around Russian weed puns).

My Spanish teacher brought some Russian rap in one day. It was bizzarre... probably would've been a lot better if I had understood what was being said.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to bring up EXIBIT A: Seryogin really enjoys anime, even the bad stuff (yes Gundam). So don't take his opinion of your book too seriously.

Also, Kirk, if you are going to read Dostoevsky's Notes From the Underground, I highly recommend skipping part one (or reading it after part 2) unless you really need to get some sleep or something.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I mean that, I like the way they dress more than Americans)

JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
(I mean that, I like the way they dress more than Americans)

I really mean it when I say that I would rock that shit with a serious face.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Incidentally, I was listening to some Russian rap today and couldn't contain my laughter.

Check out Russian reggae. It's quite pleasing to the ears, especially if you understand it. My particular choice is 5nizza (pyatnetsa). I have no idea who they are or their reputation in Russia, but I know that "Soldat" is one of my favorite songs.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really mean it when I say that I would rock that shit with a serious face.

i never woulda pegged you for a closet hipster.

SUDDENLY ALL THAT CCCP STUFF MAKES SENSE!

also:

GUIDO SHALL NEVER KILL GUIDO

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit Guile would be jealous.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw you, hex!

I am pretty hip, but, you know, I can rock that CCCP shit cause I iz teh Russian. But really I am into fashion, and, you better believe that that jacket is pretty tight. And the second pic is a no-go.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:

Incidentally, I was listening to some Russian rap today and couldn't contain my laughter.

Check out Russian reggae. It's quite pleasing to the ears, especially if you understand it. My particular choice is 5nizza (pyatnetsa). I have no idea who they are or their reputation in Russia, but I know that "Soldat" is one of my favorite songs.

5nizza (a very annoying spelling for the word for Friday) is actually Ukrainian, they sing in that devil langauge. I don't remember ever hearing anything by them, though I'll check this song out.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the second pic is a no-go.

sorry, i don't mean to turn this into the axe but i'm just trying to avoid saying anything bad about mcsweeneys. i know people love that stuff a lot. i get a lot of forwards from friends who really love it. they ask me if i got that "hilarious" forward the other day. i say, yeah, thanks, and then i move the fuck on.

sergei: the jacket, well, i can see making a case for it if it were a print, but that thing has like "totally gnarly" stenciled on it in a socal biker font from 1996. that guy's such a rebel that he was barely able to take a few seconds away from his busy schedule of "breaking all the rules" to pose for the camera.

it also raises the question as to whether russians believe fluoride to be a jewish plot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: