The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mirror modes and what they say about our brains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: mirror modes and what they say about our brains Reply with quote

So this evening I fired up Mario Kart: Double Dash with my usual Nintendo buddy. We played Mirror Mode (usually we just do the fastest "regular" Gran Prix.)

Of course, the obvious difference is that some courses you tend to memorize a bit more (in general, the more big landmarks there are, or big asymmetrical turns) and others are more based on reactions. Ones in the former category tend to be a lot trickier in mirror mode.

But there's something else going on, and I think I put my finger on it: things that appear on the left side of the screen attract my attention, figuratively (and sometimes literally) looming larger than the same object on the right.

I'm not sure if it's a cultural bias based on the direction we read, something to do with my dominant hemisphere, or what (my buddy, who is left handed unlike me, claims that some of the reverse courses feel *more* natural.)

Heh, in 1988 had Coca-Cola had a 3D advertisement that may have been based on a similar principle... the commercial still looked ok to people without the glasses, and IIRC the effect depended on how objects moving left to right seemed to coming forward a bit...

Any thoughts? If you do a mirror mode can you identify which side seems to have more "surprising" detail? Is it inversely correlated to your dominant hand?
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how the second stage on the racing course in We Love Katamari is mirrored. Now that's postmodernism.
Zack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at photos of yourself and see which way you tend to face the camera.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:

Err, head-on?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Zack wrote:

Err, head-on?

Look at more photos.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Mario Kart 64 Mirror Mode, there was a highway stage that becomes 10 times as chaotic in Mirror Mode. Toad's Highway to Hell!

Instead of driving alongside traffic (which is hard as it is) you are driving against the traffic. In essence, it becomes an entirely new stage, one where knowing the track and when to turn and when to attack is useless, but dodging cars is what seperates a winner from a loser.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
In the Mario Kart 64 Mirror Mode, there was a highway stage that becomes 10 times as chaotic in Mirror Mode. Toad's Highway to Hell!

Instead of driving alongside traffic (which is hard as it is) you are driving against the traffic. In essence, it becomes an entirely new stage, one where knowing the track and when to turn and when to attack is useless, but dodging cars is what seperates a winner from a loser.

Well, i was more in interesred in levels that seemed weird because of assymetries in our perceptions... but Toad Turnpike backwards was pretty damn exhilirating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: