The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can our resident shadowrun guru comment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: can our resident shadowrun guru comment? Reply with quote

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646612

hey john. so, like, what's the dealy?

with shadowrun, i mean.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be interesting...

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's old hat, man. I ranted about that on British forums during E3. Months ago. It's crap, and should be avoided.

Basically, they had the Shadowrun license, which would have enabled them to create a PC/Xbox game which could have been like a cross between Deus-Ex 1 and Oblivion, utilising the rich story of the franchise that's been developed over years.

Instead, they created what looks to be an utterly lame Counter Strike clone, that not only wastes the license, but takes massively huge liberties with the back-story, and doesn't even look like a decent CS clone.

It's basically a game which is DOA. Fans of the games utterly hate the look of it, and everyone is just myeh. Because, well, there's already a dozen plus FPS out there for the PC and Xbox. Meaning, they've basically alienated the core market of the license, in order to appeal to no one.

Now, who knows, maybe the game itself in the end will be a brilliant... But! You use a license to appeal to a certain group of people. With that license, you should then create something that will appeal to them. It doesn't make market sense to use a license to create a game that will be of no interest to those who already have a vested interest in that license.

I mean... Imagine they used the Batman license to create a game, and the game ended up being about Batman's buttler, and all you did was polish silver. Now, that might be a fun game, but if I'm playing a Batman game, I want to BE Batman, not his fucking butler. A total waste of a license. And like I said, it doesn't even look like a decent CS clone, let alone a proper Shadowrun game.

Further whiskey fuelled rants here:
http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=58540&page=1

Scroll WAY down:
http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126848&st=40

And if you want to laugh at fanboys puking over themselves in anger, the official forum is a great place to stop by:
http://shadowrun.com/

They've actually toned the forum down a lot since the E3 announcement, and removed a lot of the bad elements.

I spent a few days reading stuff, and it was fairly funny. There was a lot of venom in there, to paraphrase one conversation:

Person 1: Well, at least we're actually getting some kind of Shadowrun game.

Person 2: What? Are you serious? You know, you're the kind of the guy, who if he was in prison, would lean over to his cell mate who had been raped earlier, and say "Well, at least you had some sex."

EDIT:
As you can see, it looks like shite -
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing says cyberpunk like a ruined temple!

Damn.

Szczepaniak, tell me more about the good stuff of Shadowrun videogame adaptations gone by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you this much: The SNES version is over-rated tripe and I'll never understand why people climaxed over it, when the Genesis version was not only better (And open-ended) but more in keeping with the pen and paper rules.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SNES version is a lot of fun. I never got the hang of the other one.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the hell out of the SNES version, but I wasn't compelled enough to finsh what I had started with it a few months ago. Weather or not this is attributed to the erasing of my Computer, is beyond me. I thought that the new Shadowrun game would scream cyberpunk, neon lit cities, flashy andorids with eccentric hair colors. Some sort of gun resembling a "Needler". Time will tell I suppose.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like decker.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Neuromancer, but that's mostly because its main game mechanic is essentially surfing the web.

Also: The terrible and totally needless cyberpunk backstory that was in the manual for Spectre VR. So bad! I wish I still had it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Szczepaniak, tell me more about the good stuff of Shadowrun videogame adaptations gone by.

There were 3 versions. SNES (made bu Australians), Genesis (made by Bluesky Software), and Sega CD (Japan only, like a cross between Snatcher and Shining Force).

The main games you'll be interested in will either be the SNES or Genesis version.

Basic studies have shown that you will like the one, but hate the other. Since despite being based in the same Universe, and they are worlds apart (hoho!).

I played the SNES one first, and regard it as the best SNES RPG I've ever played, just beating Secret of Mana to the #1 spot (FF6, SD3, LttP, and a whole crazy bunch of others come way further down the list). Great combat system, unique dialogue systems (which reminds of FF2 on the Famicom), and a really good storyline that slowly develops (you wake up in the morgue with no memory).

The Genesis version I hated, but I can see why others love it. Despite the story being poor (you're getting revenge for your brother's death), the mechanics are fairly well done, and there's a nice random mission generator. I didn't like the combat too much though. And levelling up is a huge grind.

But I mean, as I said, you will love one and hate the other. I guess it depends on which you play first. Try the SNES one first, it's fairly cheap I think in the USA, or just emulate it, and if you don't like it, try the Genny version.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the snes shadowrun, but i havn't really been able to get much accomplished in it. i've been trying to get into the genny one for a while now, but it seems to take a lot of effort. it looks promising though.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. just watched the trailer. it has some serious burroughsian wild boys type material in it, though i doubt there's much spooge magick going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: