The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lock and Key?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Lock and Key? Reply with quote

Are people here really that tired of lock and key design? Or is it just when the keys are literally keys rather than the actual solving of puzzles, Ie. when they keys lack imagination and flair?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock and Key? Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Are people here really that tired of lock and key design?

yes.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I love it. Nearly everything fun about nearly every game involves some sort of Lock and Key design if you break it down to its essence and think about the Locks and Keys and how they're used.

Ico's level design is the lock and Yorda's the key.
The colossus is the lock and beating it is the key.
Metroid's high ledges are the lock and the jump boots are the key.
Myst's puzzles are the lock and the solutions are the keys.

It really just depends on how you look at things. I'm even fine with literal locks and keys as long as the player has to put some thought into how the keys are used and there's some sort of reward for unlocking the lock.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was all up for your hypothesis, Wes, but I think you made it a little too broad.

As in, making things that really aren't analogous sound like they are. I mean sure, technically speaking virtually any game mechanic involving getting to somewhere you haven't been in some sense, in any game can be considered as a "lock and key" scenario. But I think there are better, specific examples.

Although I can see the argument that there's different levels of "Lock 'n' Key"-ness. Ie, Mario and Luigi 2's locks are the unreachable platforms (and arguably, levels), and the keys are the various moves you learn + baby mario/luigi. According to this hypothetical theory, this makes it a more advanced manifestation of LnK, say, level 3 (arbitrary number).

Anyhoo. One brand of LnK I really loathe is the trade quest. I mean, I can tolerate it to a point. But some of the trade quests in Zelda games are just tedious--Link's Awakening, anyone? Every once in a while, I can go for it, because even though I'm just traipsing around tiles accomplishing technically the same task over and over again, if the game's good, I feel immersed in the world, like I'm really running around transporting valuable goods.

Still, one thing I think trade quests lack is attachment to the objects with which you bargain. The pattern is boring to players who have grokked it because it's impersonal--"yeah, yeah, Magic Harp. Whaddaya want? Holy Conch Shell? You--Forest Flute? Alright, hold up, let me write this all down."

However, when the player acquires an object and you actually have to use it, and you grow to love and rely on it in some capacity, trading it is much more real (even if it is a compulsory trade in order to advance in a main/side quest) to us, because now we have to actually feel the sense of loss and acquisition involved in a (n allegedly) balanced trade.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be neat to see a multiple path/ending game where the paths hinged around trading off items. What if you could have the jump boots or the Bombs?

Then again, it would be easier to make a bad game based off that idea than a good one.

But to reiterate one specific point: any and all trapezoidal purple gemstones can go screw themselves, RIGHT NOW. (So long as they don't propogate.)
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the essential problem with the Lock/Key structure (whether literal locks and keys or something a little more abstracts like the high-jump boots in Metroid or playing the big goron to sleep in Majora's Mask) is that it is an unavoidable and definite experience. If you think of a game as a whole world based on interactivity, then each lock and key breaks down the creativity the medium offers. Each lock and key moment is a move from pregnant possibility to hard necessity.

But these moments might just be necessary. Anyone else picking up a life metaphor in this? As much as we design ourselves (at least as adults) and our interpersonal relationships through choice and innovation, a certain structure emerges with each inevitable in life--death, taxes, whatever. That games so typically tap into this notion is an exciting thought, although too much structure over experimentation (some of the above item-bartering sequences) can prove too restrictive.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many instances in the game Black where the lock is a wall and the key is an RPG. Conveniently, an RPG is usually lying around nearby for these moments.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
At first I was all up for your hypothesis, Wes, but I think you made it a little too broad.

I was rushing when I came up with my examples, and that explains their broadness, but I do think there's a little truth to it. It's important to think about the negative vs positive aspects of lock and key when discussing this topic. The negative aspect of Lock and Key is that it restricts player freedom, while the positive is that it provides structure. I think it's worth noting that plot cannot be told without some sort of structure. It's unfortunate that this often leads to more overt lock and key mechanics, but that really is the easy way out for developers.

It's interesting to me that people bring up the trade quest in Zelda: Link's Awakening as an example of bad lock and key. This example falls totally outside of the boundaries the game's narrative and it's possible to play through the entire game without trading a single item. If anything, these quests exist to add personality to the characters located throughout the world, thus adding to the overall feeling of the world itself. I think it's one of the most elegant examples of this type of quest, but perhaps I played the game differently than other people. Is there anything within the game that implies that this quest is an important part of Link's mission?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's interesting to me that people bring up the trade quest in Zelda: Link's Awakening as an example of bad lock and key. This example falls totally outside of the boundaries the game's narrative and it's possible to play through the entire game without trading a single item. If anything, these quests exist to add personality to the characters located throughout the world, thus adding to the overall feeling of the world itself.

I disagree. It's very impersonal. Like I said--there is some sense of adventure, but the people you trade with just feel like triggers dancing in place with their two-frame animations.

Also, truly thinking about it, doesn't every game inherently have LnK? Anything that is "interactive audio visual media" inherently involves you reaching something that you didn't have at the start--whether that's a score, a level, or armor, or whatever. Without LnK, wouldn't it cease to be a video-game?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
I disagree. It's very impersonal. Like I said--there is some sense of adventure, but the people you trade with just feel like triggers dancing in place with their two-frame animations.

Impersonal maybe, but isn't it better than having people that just say, "there's a big whale on death mountain?" It gives the people a purpose within the game world and it adds a reward where the people would normally just be there for flavor. But again, isn't it significant that the entire quest is fully optional?

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychonauts; Boyd's brain.

I mean, I done wrote an article about the fact that lock/key can work really, really well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

Impersonal maybe, but isn't it better than having people that just say, "there's a big whale on death mountain?" It gives the people a purpose within the game world and it adds a reward where the people would normally just be there for flavor. But again, isn't it significant that the entire quest is fully optional?

This brings to my mind a question of editing; I haven't played the sequence, but from the sound of things it just adds hours to the playtime without increasing the depth of the game or gameworld. True/Untrue?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

This brings to my mind a question of editing; I haven't played the sequence, but from the sound of things it just adds hours to the playtime without increasing the depth of the game or gameworld. True/Untrue?

False. It adds no time to the gametime because it's totally optional. Also, if you keep the quest in the back of your mind while you're playing, it sort of happens naturally during the course of the game with the exception of maybe a few minutes of cleanup at the end. Your reward for doing the trade quest is a boomerang weapon that isn't required to solve any puzzles, but is fun to have because of its history in the Zelda universe.

Here's how the quest works, taken from a few FAQs molded together:

H. Trading Game

--Win the Yoshi Doll at the Trendy Game (mabe village)
--Exchange the Doll with a little girl in Quadruplets house for the Ribbon
--Exchange the Ribbon for Dog Food in the dog house
--Exchange the Dog Food for Bananas at Sale's House
--Exchange the Bananas for a Stick when the Monkey's build a bridge
leading to the castle.
--Exchange the Stick for some Honey in middle Ukuku
Prairie
--Exchange the Honey for Vittles (fruit).
--Exchange the Vittles for a Flower. Takes place while on your way
to Level 4; give the Vittle to Paphal.
--Exchange the Flower for a Letter in Animal Village.
--Exchange the Letter for a Broom at Mr. Writes House
--Take the Broom to Mr. Ulrira's Wife; she will either be in Mabe
Village, or Animal Village. You will get a Fish Hook in return.
--Give the Fish Hook to the right side of Martha's Bay, and dive
under the east bridge, and give the fish hook to the man in the
boat. He will then give you a Necklace.
--Exchange the Necklace for a Mermaid Scale in Martha's Bay (give
the Necklace to the mermaid who is swimming around looking for
it).
--On the lower east end of the Bay, there will be a Merman Statue.
Walk up to it and the Scale will be inserted. Go down the stairs
and retrieve the Magnifying Lens.
--Take the Magnifying Lens to the Library in western Mabe Village
in order to read the text in the lower-right hand book
-- Once you obtain the Magnifying Lens, there will be a moblin in the cave. He'll ask for the item in your B-Slot. If you put the shovel in there, he'll trade you for your Boomerang. The Boomerang in this game is actually a very powerful weapon, and a decent replacement for your shovel, since its useless once you've gotten the prize for 20 Secret Seashells.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you do actually have to do some trading, but only up to the monkey bridge point. Right?

My stance is that LnK should be used very sparingly unless the key is enjoyable apart from just being a key. Virtually every item you get in a given Metroid functions as a key, but it also makes Samus more dangerous / versatile, until at the end of the game you're a nigh-invulnerable spinning ball of death that just happens to be capable of surmounting every obstacle you run across. Contrast with, say, Soul Reaver. One of the last abilities you get is an attack activated by running in circles around your target until it triggers. Completely useless in battle, but useful for turning objects that in a sensible world you could just rotate with your hands. When I got that I immediately thought "Oh, it's a key. And a stupid one."
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, you do need to trade up to the end -- that text you read in the book gives you directions through the last maze, which is otherwise impossible to get through.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the trading was very obviously mocking the LnK type quest. Perhaps I was overshooting in my analisys?

Anyways, while Wes is technically correct I think he is being far too broad. Then again, I know that he loves this style/design. So obviously he is going to be more defensive of it. Aside from something like the RPG without saves that John discribed in issue 3 of this magazine, you can't really get around it the abstraction of the LnK design. If you wanted to get that abstract though we could just say that the LnK is a metaphor for life. I think we need to look a little more literally or just slightly less so: ie, how transparent is the LnK design in this game?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I thought that the trading was very obviously mocking the LnK type quest. Perhaps I was overshooting in my analisys?

didn't andy wrote about this in issue 3?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

No, he wrote about TWILIGHT PRINCESS. Didn't you read it?

Also, did he? Perhaps, all I know is that Wes got it without me really having enough time to do more than saying yes/no about it getting included.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

No, he wrote about TWILIGHT PRINCESS. Didn't you read it?

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Read the line below it.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so unintentionally sarcastic, then.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so unintentionally sarcastic, then.

No, intentionally. I just... failed at it ok! I figured the CAPS indicated that I was being sarcastic. You also failed to mention that Ajutla also mentions it in his Awakenings article. So I am one step ahead of you and quite conscious of what is being printed. I just don't recall that specific comment from his article. I just remember boxes. Pushing boxes.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am undone
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i am undone

Like a ball of yarn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: