The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remove the HUD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Remove the HUD? Reply with quote

King Kong and Ico were praised in part because of the way they removed the traditional overlaid HUD / interface. Do you think that it is good to remove HUDs? (Ie. replace it with appropriate audio/ visual indicators.)

It seems like games could be made to remove as much screen clutter as possible, health would be represented visually. Time limits could be seen by Majora's Mask style impending doom (or Blast Corps?).

But would this be worthwhile? Personally when I'm playing Beyond Good & Evil, I wish there was no obvious HUD so I could just take in the landscapes. Thoughts?
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. One of the things that bothered me about Shadow of the Colossus was how easy it would have been to just shuck the HUD entirely without causing the player to lose much of the feedback: Repurpose one the vibration motors to a heartbeat for the stamina, maybe start pumping up the HDR lighting when your health gets low, and just chuck the item indicator entirely.

It's kind of like opening a film with Hitler in his bunker, debris falling, Eva rocking back and forth in the corner, and then having a lieutenant run in yelling "Hitler! The allies are shelling us in your underground bunker!! This will surely go down as the darkest moment for us the Nazi party during 1945!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely dependent on the game. If immersion is the goal, and the player is in a role where they wouldn't logically have a HUD (eg: in King Kong you use old weaponry which didn't have any explicit ammo counters) it does make sense to drop it. What's silly about the bullet counting thing in King Kong is that it just obfuscates a normal ammo counter and makes a button for it instead of making it always visible. A lot of games become a lot harder when you can't easily check how many bullets, how much health, and so on that you have and not harder in a good way. Lack of information isn't beneficial to gameplay.

Like you've indicated, there's something to be said for integrating these indicators better into the game so that the HUD isn't absolutely necessary. Designing around it, basically.

A good example of the middle ground here is Metroid Prime where the HUD not only provides much necessary information but makes sense in the game's setting and actually helps put the player in the protagonist's perspective.

EDIT: About Shadow of the Collosus: the grip meter is the one thing I see being really problematic there. Without being able to see exactly how long you can hold on the game would be exponentially harder and much more frustrating. Granted you could probably tweak around it, but fuzzy indicators for something so essential would be very tricky. Agree about the health and item though. These things are obvious enough on their own. It takes a LOT to die on normal difficulty anyway, I don't see that being a huge problem. In fact it would probably improve the health recharging a bunch, since it wouldn't be obvious that you have to wait for it to come back; you'd just know that you can only handle a certain amount of damage at one time. Also, the undocumented items (is this still considered spoilers?) would have a much more mysterious function.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all has to depend on the game. From what I've played of Ico (which isn't much, but I'm working on buying a ps2 one of these days) the lack of a HUD really worked. It was all so lonely. The rooms in that castle are huge and barren. The camera is always panned way back, making the rooms bigger and Ico smaller. And Ico is an adolescent kid, in the throes of puberty. It helps that he doesn't strut like most videogame heroes; he scuttles. His knees are knobbly, and he jumps spastically. The lack of a HUD and any sort of tutorial session really gave you a sense of solitude and helplessness that I haven't really seen in any other game. So in that instance, it worked out well.

Much has been made, too, of Fight Night Round 3 for the Xbox 360. I'm not one for sports simulations, but boxing games are basically fighting games. One of the standards for fighting games over the years has been the health bar, which the Xbox 360 shucks in favor of actually having to read your opponent's facial expressions and body language. I can't say from experience how well it plays, but the concept is a refreshing way to use those high tech next-gen consoles.

I guess what I'm saying is that it can definitely heighten a game's experience, but the developer has to know why and how they're going to get rid of the HUD, and make sure it fits with the rest of a game's design.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going further back, you have games like Oddworld and Donkey Kong.

Really, Bungie could make a HUD-less Halo very easily.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, we had an interesting debate over on 8-bit a ways back on this very concept. My thoughts? Well, I spoke of it in the thread, but...

It's neither a replacement for HUDded gaming, nor is it a worthless dynamic. The problem with failed implementations of HUDless gaming, like The Getaway, is that they are stepping stones. All stylistic facets of all forms of art--movies, paintings, music, what have you--have had failures, but these failures are not always necessarily failures of thought. HUDless gaming is a concept still in its infancy, and as most attempts at HUDless games have proven clunky (most, not all. there are some games that have pulled it off beautifully), it merely shows that we need to work harder to refine it.

Today's gaming industry would tell you, "it doesn't work, throw it out," but needless to say, I find this a startlingly unhealthy attitude.

In the 8-bit thread, I pointed to Call of Duty 2's health system. Lack of a HUD is not merely an aesthetic choice--it necessarily changes the gameplay. If you can not quantify your health, how else could you know to take caution? CoD2's delirious recovery system was extremely enjoyable, in my opinion. While unrealistic (it's a fucking game, for christ's sake), having a real reason to watch your back other than waiting for the next med pack made the game much more tense. In the heat of battle, as your hearing dwindles with every bullet, as your vision blurs, your only instinct is to survive. I might be glorifying it, but damn...it really makes it all feel so...primal.

And of course, there is the stylistic factor. As was previously mentioned, the lack of HUDs in Ico is not merely because "there was no need--" it enhanced the setting. You felt even more curious in this cold, desolate castle; even more motivated to get out.

Quote:

Really, Bungie could make a HUD-less Halo very easily.

True, but when you're playing Halo, you truly relish the paragon beep and subsequent visual "vwoop" of your shield replenishing. At least I do, since I'd usually rather play better PC FPSes.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One random thought is that it's not *just* HUD vs No HUD...
To some extent, it's quantitative data vs qualitative.

I guess Ico vs. SotC is a clear example of this (disclaimer, I didn't get far in SotC, mostly because it felt like a platformer I had trouble seeing).

Ico's combat is pretty distinctive, even similar (in combat) brawlers w/ low "hit point" enemies, you know exactly what it takes to kill each enemy, either through a display, or because it's some obvious small answer like 2 hits and they go away. The kidnapping of the princess, and having to multitask to keep her safe, kept a simplistic formula interesting.

The grip meter, then, is the opposite, where the quantitative value has a much greater role.

And that's one of the things about real life vs games, and most blatantly in any game with a health meter... damage is a smooth continuum, and more ofteh than not, a characters fighting capacity is undiminished until the very end.

I'm not against this, because it lets my video game life be much more interesting than my real one. In the real world, I don't heal by resting (well, not that quickly anyway) or by taking on a health pack. I know some FPS combat simulators deal with this realistically, where one bullet is generally enough to greatly diminish or eliminate someone's ability to fight. I don't like those games much myself. (Similarly, I love my flight combat games to be very arcadey--- I figure unrealistic controls counterbalance not having to go through years of flight training...)

So my point is, HUDs reflect the odd, other-worldly quantitative nature of damage (I guess they're also useful for maps..) in virtual game worlds, and that other worldly nature is a result of wanting to let the player take more risks and do interesting stuff.

I agree that Metroid Prime handles things very well. In general, encasing the player in armor can obscure certain sins of simulated physiology or the lack thereof.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroid Prime also has an adjustable HUD, so it gets points there, too.

Does anyone play FPS games with the hud off? For some reason, I can't seem to find an option in Aleph One to play with the hud on, and it's absolutely nerve-wracking to play Marathon 2 with it off (not to mention the way Aleph One turns the volume on the computer ALL THE WAY UP when it starts, which sucks when I have headphones on).

However! Duke Nukem 3d is really fun to play with the hud off.
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine playing an FPS without a HUD.

I can't really imagine how to give players ways to "sense" that their health or ammo or what-have-you is low. In games like Quake and Tribes, you never really get the sense of how much damage a weapon does unless it kills you. There isn't much tactile difference between a nailgun hit and a shotgun hit, for instance, and your character moves as quick as ever even right before he dies. And armor and the way it works would make this almost impossible.

Certain weapons and hits in Perfect Dark would blur or shake the screen, which I thought was nice, but the idea could have been expanded.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the recent Call of Cthulhu game didn't have a HUD. And was an FPS. It sounds like it doesn't feature much shooting, though - mostly just running away and trying not to find out what's chasing you - but I am reliably informed that you do have to keep a mental note of how many bullets are in your revolver, and stuff.
B coma

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to play Rez with the HUD turned off.
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2d Mario Bros games usually don't really need any kind of HUD, you can see how many hits Mario can take from his state. You don't need to be told what level you are on, and you could probably use sound / music to represent time limits (or abolish them).
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like HUDs. They are a staple of games, and I find overly complex, or very "gamey" HUDs quite satisfying to view.

I also like complex pause screens, like in Super Metroid.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
It's kind of like opening a film with Hitler in his bunker, debris falling, Eva rocking back and forth in the corner, and then having a lieutenant run in yelling "Hitler! The allies are shelling us in your underground bunker!! This will surely go down as the darkest moment for us the Nazi party during 1945!"

Exactly.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think some games can work very well without huds and some cannot. i remember thinking cyan's slipping an "inventory" into riven signalled a step away from immersion and towards gameyness. uru was subsequently a whole lot gameyer, but it was intended to be a massively multiplayer online game - you need some sort of status display.

there's an x-men game on the mega drive that starts as soon as you turn on the power. that is to say, the first stage starts as soon as you turn on the power. no logos*, no title screen.

* KNOWLEDGE!

Szczepaniak wrote:
I really like HUDs. They are a staple of games, and I find overly complex, or very "gamey" HUDs quite satisfying to view.

I also like complex pause screens, like in Super Metroid.

have you played assault suit leynos, john?

incidentally, i like clean and sexy huds. i've played lots of games just because they had clean-looking status bars.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
there's an x-men game on the mega drive that starts as soon as you turn on the power. that is to say, the first stage starts as soon as you turn on the power. no logos*, no title screen.

Was it a bootleg? That's surprising, I might have to check it out.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Was it a bootleg?

nope! it was in media res!

another mega drive x-men game requires you to reset the console at one point to get past. it's a pretty interesting series!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

* KNOWLEDGE!

i used to spend many days enjoying this title as a youth. quite a fun little game.

well, on this topic i beleive that huds exist because we cannot tell how our little avatar is doing without some cue. even some hudless games use different methods of showing these cues. be they visual, audio, and the shakes. so technically, arent all these subtle cues some sort of "head-up display"?

hmmm.. subtle vs. direct.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it really is based on what the game is trying to do more than what kind of game it is. BG&E is a good example of a game that could go without the HUD. Metroid Prime is a good exaple of HUD implementation (even though it could have been pared down a little). There are some games that seem to have an HUD just to show you as much information as it can.

I guess this is what I want to say: Doom 4 should have a HUD because people are just trying to play a game.
Silent Hill 5 (not origins, which I hold little hope for) should not have a HUD because it will be trying to tell a story*.

I think it should be based on focus not genera. Also, I don't know how many of you have ever shot weapons, but I don't think a bullet meter is needed in games. Just how many spare clips you have.

*please, please, please

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like HUDs a lot. I don't think that much is gained from their removal unless they're only there for superficial reasons in the first place. The example above that talks about removing the Super Mario stats completely misses the point of removing a HUD in the first place. Does that little bar at the top actually make the game any less cinematic? I say hell no. Sure, it doesn't add to the game, but really how often do you actually look at it when you don't need to? Never? Leave it in.

Bushido Blade got rid of life bars. This was a neat idea at the time, but when I played the game I always wondered how much life I had left. Maybe I was stuck in videogame mindset when I played the game, but I know for a fact that the game is keeping track of this stuff, so by obscuring it from the player are they really doing anything but forcing the player to focus on nothing but one-hit kills?

Has anyone read about the Halo 3 demo they showed off to "select press" at E3? Apparently one of the things they did was pause the demo movie they've been showing off and then zoom in on the Master Chief and rotate around his body. This is relevant to the discussion because one of the things they did was zoom in on his face and show off how the HUD was transparent and visible within the Master Chief's helmet. You'll probably never see that kind of thing in the game, and I'm sure it's not there in the current Halo 2 model, but it's interesting to see that as the engine gets more powerful Bungie is able to evolve the level of realism to add in concessions to the gamey elements present in the world. NEAT!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine playing Ace Combat without a HUD. I think that goes without saying.

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Bushido Blade got rid of life bars. This was a neat idea at the time, but when I played the game I always wondered how much life I had left.

don't single hits kill in this game?

i need to track down a copy.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Bushido Blade got rid of life bars. This was a neat idea at the time, but when I played the game I always wondered how much life I had left.

don't single hits kill in this game?

i need to track down a copy.

that game didnt need lifebars.

it wasn't about how much fight you have left in you, but rather who lands the final finishing blow. if you make a mistake, you lose.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, Bushido Blade mostly just worked by disabling your limbs as they were hit, with a clean blow to the head or chest killing you. I can't remember if you could die from lots of leg blows, say. I guess you probably could.

We used to play it a lot in 2-player link mode. It was a first-person slash-em-up deathmatch in Japanese gardens. I dunno if I'd say it was fun... but it was novel and interesting, certainly.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say hell no. Sure, it doesn't add to the game, but really how often do you actually look at it when you don't need to? Never? Leave it in.

What is this, Pascal's Wager? If there's no logical reason, then it's just a form of comfort. Would you be lost without it? Not really. At first you might think, "what, no HUD?" And then...you'd play the game.

Quote:
Maybe I was stuck in videogame mindset when I played the game, but I know for a fact that the game is keeping track of this stuff, so by obscuring it from the player are they really doing anything but forcing the player to focus on nothing but one-hit kills?

I'm not a big Bushido Blade guy, but I have played it. This is merely the incipient idea, in a haphazard format. That doesn't mean the idea can't be refined.

Remember, a lot of video-gaming "conventions" are due to hardware limitations. Deus Ex is the kind of game developers wished they could make in a distant dream at the start, but the original console RPG (even PC RPGs, although they did travel a different route) had to be based on a rigid ruleset--pure numbers. The HUD exists for no reason other than the fact that there really are very few ways to tell how much health your guy has when he's an 8x16 pixel (or something). In this sense, one can consider HUDs deprecated.

But I'm not even saying that. I still think they have a purpose, but the onslaught of information is often redundant these days. A lot of games which "shouldn't" be immersive could be, and could still be entirely fun. No one's trying to turn Smash TV into an avant-garde gaming experiment, although there is a reason why older games stick to a few tride and true genres.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
I can't imagine playing Ace Combat without a HUD. I think that goes without saying.

Ace Combat is about replicating a real HUD with amazing precision. It almost gets it right in 4 from what I recall.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sushi d wrote:
that game didnt need lifebars.

it wasn't about how much fight you have left in you, but rather who lands the final finishing blow. if you make a mistake, you lose.

Yeah, and I'm fine with the one-hit kills, but it's the stuff in between that kinda bothered me. You can get hit five or six times and not die, or you can get hit once and die. There's nothing visible to differentiate to the two. Maybe what they could have done was shown an outline of a body and color-coded parts of the body for when you got hit in those parts. This way you could easily see which parts of your body were hurting rather than just having to guess. If someone scored a one-hit kill they could then flash the part of the body that had been hit and have it instantly turn red - indicating that your character had been stabbed in the head. I don't know, I guess I'm just not convinced that anything was gained by taking away the life bars. The game itself has a great sense of balance, and the one-hit kills were implemented well, but as I said, it's the stuff in between that always kind of bothered me.

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
What is this, Pascal's Wager? If there's no logical reason, then it's just a form of comfort. Would you be lost without it? Not really. At first you might think, "what, no HUD?" And then...you'd play the game.

But there is a logical reason. The status bar in Super Mario Bros. is there as a form of reward. Lets take a look at it right now:

1. The first element shows score. We can argue about whether or not Super Mario Bros. needs a score, but lets take for granted that its existance is there to provide a reward. When you do something good you get points for it. Without a visible score indicator that is constantly climbing you're getting a score for no reason at all.

2. Next up is the number of coins. This is important because it shows you how close Mario is to gaining an extra life. Again, the coins are there as a reward, and without the "100 coins = extra life" thing there would be no reason to collect them at all.

3. Next is the current world. You've got me here as this is kind of pointless, but remember that this Mario had no map, so the only frame of reference to how far you were in the game was this little on-screen indicator. Without it you'd have a lot more trouble assessing how far you were in the game, and the Warp-Rooms themselves wouldn't mean nearly as much. Jumping ahead by 1-3 stages is a lot cooler than jumping ahead to a random stage.

4. And finally we've got the time limit indicator. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to play Mario Bros. without a visible time limit. Sure, you'd still have the music to tell you that time's running out, but seeing the time limit on the screen reminds you that it's a constant threat, and makes the gameplay more intense ever so slightly.

So yeah, I guess it's possible to play Mario without the HUD, but I don't really see an advantage to it. Taking away the HUD would take away many elements that make the game what it is and wouldn't add anything to the experience.

Video games consist of numbers and the seeing those numbers increase and decrease can be part of what makes them fun. I don't mind it when they're taken away, but I don't like it when they feel like they've been removed arbitrarily with no real thought put into why. I guess I don't have a problem with video games being video games as long as they realize they're being video games.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, I don't know how many of you have ever shot weapons, but I don't think a bullet meter is needed in games. Just how many spare clips you have.

Precisely. One of the Rainbow Six games did this, and it was a most brilliant concept at the time. The only thing that distracts from my love of Killzone is the fact that there is a very large ammo count, informing me that I have "blank" amount of rounds left. I think it's mostly a matter of convience though. People don't want to think any harder, and trying to remember if you fired 20 or 25 shots on Rock and Roll with your assault rifle adds such a wonderful dimension to the game, but not to the average game player.

That's what I would think at least. Either way, I sitll like the idea of ditching ammo counters. I don't need to know that I have one rocket, when I am holding an RPG.

Mr.Apol wrote:

Agreed. Although Ace Combat 3's HUD was desgined by the same guys that did the Wipeout series according to the wikipedia entry, which left it with an uber high tech feel to it. Which was fitting, but thankfully the rest of the series pulled it together after that. I just finished playing through Ace Combat 2, two times in a row just now also.

Bushido Blade is incredible. I love it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never thought of the health bars in that game as having been "taken away." It just didn't occur to me. Either you killed the guy with your sword or you didn't, heh.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So yeah, I guess it's possible to play Mario without the HUD, but I don't really see an advantage to it. Taking away the HUD would take away many elements that make the game what it is and wouldn't add anything to the experience.

While I still believe a mostly HUDless-Mario is possible, this is sidestepping the point. You can't use revamping old games which obviously function as they are as a basis for debunking HUDlessness on the whole. I was merely arguing that even Mario, for example, can venture into HUDlessness.

Quote:

Video games consist of numbers and the seeing those numbers increase and decrease can be part of what makes them fun. I don't mind it when they're taken away, but I don't like it when they feel like they've been removed arbitrarily with no real thought put into why.

Okay. But who's proposing such a thing? That's kind of like saying, "Movies really suck when they're done poorly." Well...yeah, that's a given. HUDlessness != inherently thoughtless or careless. Again, it has a place. We're not Leninists. We're, or I, am not proposing sweeping changes that would merely pointlessly facelift current trends.

Quote:
I guess I don't have a problem with video games being video games as long as they realize they're being video games.

Then where is the place for video-games as art? I don't think you can live in a coin-operated nostalgia forever. Even in games which aren't trying to make a bold artistic statement, where's the place for sleek aesthetics?
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played quite a bit of Bushido Blade back in the day, and if it's possible to kill your opponent without hitting an "instant-death" vital area, I never saw anyone do it. Wes, are you SURE that BB had invisible life bars, or was it just that the 5th or 6th hit was the one to hit something important?

You could slow your opponent down by getting him in non-vital chest areas, but no matter how many times you pounded the same spot, it wouldn't actually kill him.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Quote:
I guess I don't have a problem with video games being video games as long as they realize they're being video games.

Then where is the place for video-games as art? I don't think you can live in a coin-operated nostalgia forever. Even in games which aren't trying to make a bold artistic statement, where's the place for sleek aesthetics?

I think this basically sums up my problem with the whole no-hud push. At its core it surmizes that video games must remove their video game elements for the sake of art. That's simply not true. Rez, the poster child for games as art, is completely and wholely artistically concious of itself as a video game. It looks like Tron's 80's era vision of the future of video games. It's basically one huge HUD and it's content with that.

There was a rant at the Game Developer's conference this year that got glossed over by pretty much everyone. Not because it wasn't relevant, but because it wasn't anywhere near as interesting as last year's rant by Greg Costikyan (sp). I can't remember who said it and I can't be asked to look it up, but the guy's basic point was that video games are essentially simulations of life, and designers keep pushing and pushing to get closer to reality instead of taking advantage of and reveling in the area in between. When video games finally reach what they've been striving towards, the whole game portion of videogames will be lost. They'll be complete and utter simulators, devoid of everything that makes them videogames. Hell, they might even become interactive movies, or, if Chris Crawford isn't fucking crazy, interactive stories. I don't know his name, buy my assertion is pretty much bred from his.

My assertion is that this gamey stuff is fucking awesome. It's why I love video games! Games shouldn't shy away from game elements, they should take advantage of them and milk them for all of the entertainment value that they can. When games reach their goal of being "cinematic" or "artistic" (my opinion on this is that we should quit calling out certain games as artistic and just fucking throw the form down there and say "games are artistic") they may have surrender what bits and pieces of gaming they've still got, and that will be a shame. There's worth in pursuing interactivity in different forms, but there's also worth in just being happy to be a video game.

-Wes
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking last night about games that have HP, Defense, and Magic Defense.

Those three stats all determine how long a character is going to live, and I was wondering if they could be simplified without reducing much of their function.

As a lover of numbers I can't really let go of them, though.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At its core it surmizes that video games must remove their video game elements for the sake of art.

No, it doesn't. It surmizes that some games should be able to go ahead with it sans ridicule because they're actually doign something highly innovative.

Quote:
When video games finally reach what they've been striving towards, the whole game portion of videogames will be lost. They'll be complete and utter simulators, devoid of everything that makes them videogames. Hell, they might even become interactive movies, or, if Chris Crawford isn't fucking crazy, interactive stories. I don't know his name, buy my assertion is pretty much bred from his.

I actually agree. And while realism is one aspect, it is hardly the focal point. HUDlessness hardly implies realism, merely immersion. One can game in a surreal fantasy world whose laws defy common sense and maintain an unobtrusive, HUDless layout.

The beauty of video-games to me is that unlike physical games, it is much easier for them to expand into complex systems, even if the core mechanic is the same. Immersion really doesn't imply shying away from game mechanics at all. Playing Call of Duty 2, even if they manage to work away any HUD at all, does not cease to be a game. I am assuming a role I normally could not, I have goals to complete, and if the game is good, it's fun. Just because I can't see "Hit Points" screaming at me from the top left really doesn't mean it's less of a game.

Quote:
my opinion on this is that we should quit calling out certain games as artistic and just fucking throw the form down there and say "games are artistic"

Here, you are completely right. Calling "certain" games art and others is a fallacy; art does not imply quality, merely what it is. Therefore, bad games are poor art. My statement shows these sentiments. I was also talking specifically about games with a conscious effort to be artistic in some sense, as I thought that would be the most recognisable analogy.

I simply disagree with the assertion that a game has to be at its core a metagame to qualify as a video-game. Each art form is unique, but these criticisms are the same that were levelled towards movies and even books ages ago. The incipient film industry was absurd enough to the public as it was, to see a movie that fails to acknowledge that it is merely a farcical composition of images was at first a shocker too.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOLLMASTER wrote:
I can't imagine playing an FPS without a HUD.

I can't really imagine how to give players ways to "sense" that their health or ammo or what-have-you is low.

Ever played Trespasser? You look down at the tattoo on the woman's breast to check your health.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: