The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE MONOPOLY GAME

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
player 2

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: THE MONOPOLY GAME Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone knows the implications of Microsoft having XBox live integrated into Windows Vista on top of the 360. Would that make Live more viable? Would it (unfairly?) double the 360's market? I mean... integration is neat and all, but shouldn't Sony and Nintendo have an opportunity to connect to PCs as well?

It seems like it is going to have a bigger impact than it should. I mean... if Microsoft makes a deal with a company like Dell and says, "hey guys, every Dell PC should have Vista," and no PC manufacturers sell PCs with XP anymore - doesn't it just benefit the hell out of Microsoft?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

monopoly...no.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how consumers can't be persuaded to accept convergence at any cost, so now MS is trying to pull a fast one before they realize what's happening.

Last edited by dark steve on Wed May 10, 2006 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
player 2

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't windows considered a monopoly over computer OSes? i mean... it's not exactly like microsoft is making a new monopoly, but they're using their push power from their established one to boost their less than stellar 360, no?

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's a monopoly in popular parlance, which is enough, i guess.

but not any more than nintendo is using their "monopoly" over the gamecube when they made it compatible/linkable with their handhelds. convergence is as convergence does.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
well, it's a monopoly in popular parlance, which is enough, i guess.

but not any more than nintendo is using their "monopoly" over the gamecube when they made it compatible/linkable with their handhelds. convergence is as convergence does.

It's not like the Gamecube is altogether a different entity than the Gameboy Advance. I mean, they're both meant to play games. Windows Vista is an operating system that will eventually come packaged in every computer. They're totally different things.

Didn't the EU force Microsoft to release a version of Windows without IE? Isn't this pretty much the same thing, except, instead of a webrowser, it's console connectivity?

_Marcel Duchamp
GSL

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft has no monopoly over computer operating systems, no matter what sort of whining you hear to the contrary. Microsoft does not prevent others from making operating systems for the PC--the multitude of Linux flavors (as well as lesser-known OSes such as QNX and BeOS) proves as much. Granted, Microsoft as a company has a much larger foothold and much more in the way of resources, but I'd hardly consider that alone as signifying a monopoly. The main point is that none of the competition has yet created a good operating system. Yes, I know frothy-mouthed Linux fans will claim it's more secure and free and blah blah blah, but what sells operating systems currently is convenience, on both the corporate and the personal end, and let's face it--Linux is absolutely no fun to switch to from Windows, especially if you know nothing about computers. Lest I be thought of as a frothing Microsoft fanboy, I'm personally a fan of the beautiful BeOS, but even that was a bit difficult to get used to.

It all comes down to this: Make a good OS, and both consumers and other developers will support it. More support=more monies. Even Microsoft started out tiny, they just managed to get the important stuff right.

Live integration with Vista is just Microsoft jockeying for position to sell more OSes, 360's, or a combination thereof with its connectivity. That's not a monopoly practice--what would be is if Microsoft decided to charge Sony or Nintendo money for the development of any similar programs that ran on its OS, or if MS somehow locked the competition entirely out of Vista (I'm not sure how, just as a hypothetical example). Sure, Live support comes built-in, but there's nothing stopping Sony or Nintendo from making their own programs to work in a similar way. Heck, Nintendo's already got their WiFi USB dongle (though I digress slightly, as the handheld market currently isn't Microsoft's concern), though with shoddy as the damned thing is, Nintendo really needs no enemies.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Windows Vista is an operating system that will eventually come packaged in every computer. They're totally different things.

but the xbox is a computer.

i mean, people talk about convergence like it's a future event. it ain't. it's just a bit more slapdash so far.

i personally don't see it as much different than nintendo reselling its backcatalogue (a brilliant and obvious idea that's a few years late, probably). even large companies use their resources more holistically than they used to.

i'd never buy a psp, but i'm really impressed at the way people have bent that machine to do their bidding. that's a lot cooler than the psp itself.

semi-hijack: i just found a page where people are hacking the palm i bought to overclock it. and to
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: THE MONOPOLY GAME Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
integration is neat and all, but shouldn't Sony and Nintendo have an opportunity to connect to PCs as well?

The fallacy with this argument is that Nintendo and Sony do have the opportunity to connect to PCs. If one of them were to create PC games or create deals with third parties, they too could have games that interface with PCs. Final Fantasy XI already does this.

All Nintendo or Sony really needs to do is make a deal with either Google or Aol to allow chatting between their system and people on PCs and it would be the same equivalent. It's just that this effort seems futile when it doesn't actually help the game itself.

Going back to Final Fantasy XI, Square enix had a video that was released in the year 2000ish which basically showed people playing online together from around the world with no barriers, using Playonline to buy online comics, use online strategy guides, buy music, chat, and play games.

They invested a shitload in Playonline to try to create this service and it turns out that most Final Fantasy players think Playonline is an annoyance that wastes time when they could be jumping straight into the game. I wouldn't be surprised if this was internally considered a money sink on the level of Final Fantasy the movie, but with an agonizingly slow death instead of an instant "what the hell have we done?"

But back to MS. Microsoft's service is the same, but different. Because they're planning on integrating the community features into the OS itself, people won't have to go out of their way to access them. They started by building the PC community with MS Messenger, then built the Xbox live community on their console, and now their using Xbox Live to mix the two into a single service and make things more convenient for their customers.

Another interesting consideration is that PC developers won't have to use Live. Doing so will benefit their customers, but it's entirely up to them. It's a nice way of doing things.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument would be false if it was an argument at all.

I'm merely making the claim that Nintendo and Sony should have equal opportunity to develop connectivity with Windows Vista as Microsoft. The reasoning goes as such:

Live is not integral to Windows Vista. But it is packaged in every version of Vista. That gives Microsoft an in on every computer. It is very much like Microsoft packaging Internet Explorer with every computer. It inhibits its competitors from doing the same service by putting them ahead one step. It's like starting a race halfway there.

On two levels Nintendo and Sony are lagging behind. First is that the program is integrated into every version of Windows Vista - the headstart argument. The second is that no matter what Nintendo and Sony do, they will never have anything that could be as integrated as efficient as Live.

Is it fair that Microsoft is using its OPERATING SYSTEM leverage to give it an advantage in VIDEO GAMES? Even if the impact is minimal (or even negligable), it still doesn't seem any different than the IE ruling considering the multibillion dollar business that is videogames and soon to be the encompassing home entertainment.

If Microsoft is game for convergence, fine. But I should still have the opportunity as a consumer to expect other companies to give me convergence. If my Nintendo Wii can interface with my laptop wirelessly - shouldn't Nintendo have the opportunity to connect them the same way as I would with an XBox 360?

_Marcel Duchamp
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft's been using its operating system leverage in the videogame industry for as long as it's been around. Or do PC games not count in your mind?

The Internet Explorer thing was somewhat different in that it was specifically designed to crush Netscape. The idea of a web browser you have to pay for seems mostly unthinkable now (although Opera's still cruising along pretty well), but when IE came out and it was totally free, that was a fucking bombshell. That was massive. They commoditized a product still very much in its infancy and seemingly destroyed a growing industry -- the web browser industry.

Now, of course, the IE thing seems... stupid. Of course your web browser is free and comes with your OS. How would you even bootstrap yourself onto the 'net otherwise? WWW is something you expect your computer to just do. Microsoft just did it before people had really figured this web thing out.

The Xbox is essentially a Windows PC. The games are written in DirectX, just like Windows. Creating Live stuff for it means you already have a product that is pretty portable to the Windows world. You would be stupid not to start bundling it with the DirectX tools and throwing it into Vista. Microsoft is already stupid for not throwing it into XP years ago.

Hell, network game matching is already a commodity that no one paid for until Live showed up. So it's pretty much the opposite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
player 2

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Microsoft's been using its operating system leverage in the videogame industry for as long as it's been around. Or do PC games not count in your mind?

Outside of familiarizing development landscape (which MS used to outsource to companies like Sega), what benefits has Windows had on the console game industry?

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Microsoft is already stupid for not throwing it into XP years ago.

yeah, basically.

though my guy at ms has told me that was due to a number of internal political shifts rather than technical feasibility. though he does the in-game advertising stuff so he's not totally in the loop over there.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
ApM wrote:

Outside of familiarizing development landscape (which MS used to outsource to companies like Sega), what benefits has Windows had on the console game industry?

Again, I really don't see why you're insistent on seperating the "console game industry" from the "PC game industry". It's the same industry! Whether you're playing a videogame on a TV vs. a monitor, or with a keyboard and mouse vs. a joystick, is not the point. If you want to argue that Microsoft hasn't done anything for PC game developers, you're out of your mind.

Microsoft controls two different platforms: the XBox and Windows. So they makes them link up. Nintendo also controls two different platforms: the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance. So they make them link up. Really, the only difference is that Nintendo has the ability to write and release programs for Windows. Nothing at all stopping Nintendo from linking up with Windows.

Developers who want to build multiplayer console games are perfectly free to ignore Live. EA did it for quite some time. So if a company DID want to do a multiplatform release that allowed players to play against each other whether they were on a Wii, a PS3, an Xbox 360, a PC, or a Mac, they can. There's nothing at all in their way. They just can't use Xbox Live to do it. They can't use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to do it, either.

Now, I'm not particularly a fan of Microsoft's products, but when Microsoft pours energy and money into making multiplayer gaming as painless as humanly possible, the consumer benefits. What, precisely, is evil about that?

Side note: Everyone the entire state of Washington knows someone who works at Microsoft. It's this creepy, real-life manifestation of the birthday paradox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
player 2

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I insist on separating them is because Windows isn't a merely a video game platform. 90% of a console's viability is its penetration. With Microsoft putting Live (a videogame function) into Windows (more than a videogame platform) it's infiltrating every home and business that uses Windows Vista.

I mean, shit guys, by putting Live directly into Windows Vista Microsoft is pretty much usurping Valve's Steam and AOL's Playlink, too...

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steam?

what does this have to do with steam?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
steam?

what does this have to do with steam?

Do you know what Live is?

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure.

different markets, however. there's convergence and there's convergence. the video game market is still very much divided between console sales and pc sales, despite the growing overlap.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so hoping this was a thread about NES Monopoly.
player 2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
sure.

different markets, however. there's convergence and there's convergence. the video game market is still very much divided between console sales and pc sales, despite the growing overlap.

What are you talking about?

_Marcel Duchamp
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
The argument would be false if it was an argument at all.

I guess I just don't see how this convergence is really even something where someone can have a monopoly at all. I mean, it seems like you're implying that Microsoft adding in a store and friends list to their platform is something that people are going to use to the exclusion of all else. This is just crazy talk.

The convenience of the chinese restaurant next to my house doesn't mean I won't visit other chinese restaurants to see what they offer. After all, it's just one possible store and I don't think everyone will carry the same things.

Crying monopoly on this is like crying it on MS for adding Winzip functionality into windows. It screws over a lot of small compression software companies, but it's nicer for the consumer.

I guess I just feel like if adding convenient features to your customers is a bad thing I don't want Microsoft to be good.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I guess I just feel like if adding convenient features to your customers is a bad thing I don't want Microsoft to be good.

the day that consumers have no choice at all will be the day utopia begins.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It screws over a lot of small compression software companies, but it's nicer for the consumer.

Translation: We're talking about different kinds of monopolies.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
player 2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Crying monopoly on this is like crying it on MS for adding Winzip functionality into windows. It screws over a lot of small compression software companies, but it's nicer for the consumer.

RIght, so barely anyone cares about other compression companies anymore even though they're many times better than ZIP files.

What if that happened to online gaming? MS usurping Valve's and AOL's content loaders isn't a far off claim - they're trying to get in the bottom floor of an industry that is on the verge of breaking through. If Valve and AOL were able to force every computer to take their programs, then yeah, it'd be fair, but they can't. Sony and Nintendo at least that far behind.

_Marcel Duchamp
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
It screws over a lot of small compression software companies, but it's nicer for the consumer.

Man, you want to talk about screwing over small compression companies? PKWare vs. SEA, man. Watching Thom Henderson cry in BBS: The Documentary was heart-rending.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what's to stop sony or nintendo from developing their own windows clients?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

the day that consumers have no choice at all will be the day utopia begins.

Last I heard, Microsoft are releasing about 7 different versions of Vista.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Man, you want to talk about screwing over small compression companies? PKWare vs. SEA, man. Watching Thom Henderson cry in BBS: The Documentary was heart-rending.

I'm listening to Jean Michel Jarre right now and its probably the best soundtrack for this thread possible.

On a list of evil things that microsoft has done, this is really minor. And on a scale of truly evil things, it's reeeeeeaaaaallllly minor.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
On a list of evil things that microsoft has done, this is really minor. And on a scale of truly evil things, it's reeeeeeaaaaallllly minor.

Cough cough, Wal-Mart, cough, McDonalds cough. Cough.
player 2

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

They'll never be able to integrate them into Windows itself.

_Marcel Duchamp
GSL

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
dhex wrote:

They'll never be able to integrate them into Windows itself.

I'd argue that, actually.

Barring some major change in Vista, programs integrating into the Windows shell have never been a problem. I absolutely despise Microsoft's solutions to generic text editing (Notepad) and file compression (that bastardly .zip utility with no name), so I downloaded the shareware TextPad and the freeware Tugzip. Both integrated completely into the shell upon installing, and now I have the ability to open a file in TextPad with a simple right-click, as well as multiple options with Tugzip.
My point is, Microsoft does not lock out the competition from interfacing with and integrating into Windows. They sure as hell don't give them any freebies--if you were a company in the business of making money, would you give your competitors a leg up?--but in no way does MS prevent those willing to do the legwork from getting down and dirty within Windows.

The crying over Microsoft's so-called monopolistic practices is something akin to having a hissy fit because the rich kid next door got a Ferrari from his parents. He's not keeping you from your own Ferrari, and if you're willing to work for it, you too can have your very own shiny Italian sports car. Blaming him for not giving one to you as well is just silly.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably gets pretty crappy mileage, too.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I swear some people just like to argue. The monopoly cries over this strike me as pretty silly. Doesn't microsoft need a 90% share of the market to be a monopoly? Has anyone in this thread realized that Microsoft's "Monopoly" that they lost a shitload of money on and yet remained a monopoly for years with is probably no longer a monopoly? Firefox, Opera, and Mozilla are all doing really, really well. I don't know the stats, but it's safe to assume that they've taken over at least 10% of the Marketshare that Microsoft would need to be a monopoly.

If Microsoft's "convergence initiative" is able to take more than 90% of the Instant Messenger market away from AIM, G-Talk, Yahoo Messenger, and whatever else is out there I'll be amazed. I mean, Microsoft Messenger has been "intigrated into Windows" ever since Windows 95 and it hasn't helped them much. Why would this be any different? Because it works with the Xbox?

Just to clarify, I'm posting in this thread just because I like to argue.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
The crying over Microsoft's so-called monopolistic practices is something akin to having a hissy fit because the rich kid next door got a Ferrari from his parents. He's not keeping you from your own Ferrari, and if you're willing to work for it, you too can have your very own shiny Italian sports car. Blaming him for not giving one to you as well is just silly.

I agree.

Just for the sake of arguing, Apple > Microsoft.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, I'm not complaining that he got a Ferrari, I'm complaining that he's racing his Ferrari against a Supra, but he's starting out ahead of it.

As for your examples, Wes, we're not looking at the same things. The reason why MS Messenger never hooked was because AOL's IM service is just amazingly simple on top of already having a huge userbase. MS Messenger only picked up on countries where AOL never really picked up... how do you figure that, huh?

Also: I don't know where you guys are getting your numbers. Is 90% legalese for "too much marketshare for a monopoly"? That seems pretty arbitrary. Monopolies have been broken up by the market for having well below 90% shares (Standard Oil was <70%, and I'm sure there are other examples). Btw, everytime I look up MS's Windows Marketshare I get ~90%.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea where this 90% thing comes from either. but we're not talking about monopolies - we're talking about fairness.

however, i also don't see what the big deal is. much like IM, an integrated live client is only useful to people with xboxes. being part of almost every pc on earth hasn't stopped internet explorer from getting whupped on by freeware. etc.

there's also no barrier to entry for sony or nintendo. they're going to be offering downloadable content, etc, and they could piggyback this on if they wanted or saw a need.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm thinking of that Microsoft can do that Nintendo and Sony can't is some kind of super level of convergence. If the XBox 360 can hook up to your iPod, then what is stopping MIcrosoft from hooking up their 360 with a PC and its media capabilities. Three years ago I used to stream videos off other peple's computers, and now it looks like MS is giving the general populace the ability to do it.

But where can the other companies sign up?

What if I want to stream content from my laptop to my television - do I have to buy a 360 if I already have a Wii and a PS3?

On top of this - hypothetically, what if FF versus XIII turns out to be the new FF Online and the PS3 has to converge with the PC in order to compete with MS's XBox equivalent. Running from XBox 360 to PC won't be that big of a deal because all the connectivity features are integrated right into the shell. There are all kinds of messaging and interface options that Live has that will be at the fingertips of everyone with an XBox, but Sony will never be able to make something as good as MS because it's not right there in the shell. It will never be as efficient or clean or simple.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good incentive for sony and nintendo to get crackin'.

though i doubt it's high on their lists. aren't all of the new consoles going to come with ethernet ports? why bother with the pc when you can just hook it up to your router and go nuts?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok nevermind! I thought that a Monopoly required a 90% marketshare or something. I'm foolish, but my argument still stands. Microsoft Messenger < AIM and this isn't going to change because they package it in with Windows and throw in an online store. AIM has had downloadable, buyable, casual games for quite a few years now on top of PC/cell phone/pda convergence using the same friends list and customizable themes/avatars that you take with you. If Microsoft didn't do something like this it would basically mean they were giving up on trying to compete with MS Messenger. The fact that it works with the Xbox 360 is just extending their reach.

I have a strong feeling that Nintendo's going to do everything they can to strike a deal with AOL to add some sort of AIM chat functionality to the Wii. They've hinted at something like this in the past, and with their McDonalds wi-fi deal it's obvious that they're not settling for anything less than the most visible partners they can find.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: