The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Wii a stealthy way to implement true VR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Is Wii a stealthy way to implement true VR? Reply with quote

I just realised, while doing some article research, that all past VR attempts have failed, because it wasn't possible to properly marry movement with what's onscreen.

Look at the Virtual Boy. You don't really "move".

Since the Wii remote already handles direction etc, it wouldn't be a big jump to add a VR helmet, and have a true 360 degrees of VR movement.

Sure, right now you're looking at the TV, but if it can tell where the remote is pointing, a working VR helmet would, could, should, in theory, be easy to implement.

Maybe this is Nintendo's secret plan all along? To get the Wii into homes, and then introduce true VR that actually works.

Discuss.
Zack

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nintendo's plan is just to turn the whole world into a giant game of Mario Party. But yeah, stuff like the Wii might make it easier for VR in the home to be accepted later. Will Nintendo be the one to do it, though?
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be afraid of banging my shins on the ultra hip coffee table.
tsudo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good extension of the system's power maybe some homebrew gamer could hook up some extra Wii sensors and make it work like VR. It also sounds like the Nintendo ON did influence Nintendo's plans, if that is then next step.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still don't think VR is feasible or desirable, mostly for tripping-over-the-ottoman-related reasons.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, did you never get the chance in the 90s to pay entirely too much money for the chance to spend five minutes with a television strapped to the front of your face, wandering around a [url= http://www.arcadianvr.com/SU_2000_SOFTWARE_DACTYL2.htm"]chunky polygon world[/url]? It had enough sensors in the joystick and goggles to follow where you were looking, and let you aim wherever you pointed the joystick. Movement onscreen and in real life were very much married.

(I once had the pleasure of playing one that was hooked up to Duke Nukem 3D, which was pretty cool.)

That system (originally powered by an Amiga!) still goes for $5,000 today. That's why VR didn't take off. It's just not cheap to do right, and the benefits are really not so great over what our computers give us now. In fact, most people would probably prefer the on-television variety, since you are then capable of interacting with the world around you as well. (No tripping over the ottoman, and you don't look nearly so ridiculous staring at nothing with a big helmet covering your eyes and your mouth hanging open.)

But if you like, I've got 2 CDs worth of early 90s VR crap for the PC that you can play with. (Do you remember Superscape?) Hell, maybe some of it would work with a modded power glove. Or a Space Ball!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tsudo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but if you looked at the Nintendo ON video the game sees obstacles like walls and things on the floor and compensates by putting in game items in like rubble/boxes/walls and the such, on screen(of visor).

Just saying the hypothetical, not really planning to expect it. (This would really make every experience different for each person and each setting , not to mention lots of work for programmers)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsudo wrote:
Yeah but if you looked at the Nintendo ON video the game sees obstacles like walls and things on the floor and compensates by putting in game items in like rubble/boxes/walls and the such, on screen(of visor).

such a concept clearly underestimates the amount of clutter/kipple in the average home.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could solve all of these problems by just selling your ottoman.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually used a VR device. I just thought this idea interesting, since what Nintendo is doing is cheap, and half way there.

I mean, it just struck me suddenly, seeing people wield swords and bows using the remote. Stick a helmet on their head and you're done!

Though upon greater reflection... It doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsudo wrote:

Just saying the hypothetical, not really planning to expect it. (This would really make every experience different for each person and each setting , not to mention lots of work for programmers)

If I had this thing every game would resemble Katamari Damacy except without all the quirkiness, more swearing, and maybe even real-life injuries.

Sign me up.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
I've never actually used a VR device. I just thought this idea interesting, since what Nintendo is doing is cheap, and half way there.

OK, seriously, John, you've got to track down one of these things in an arcade someplace and play Dactyl Nightmare. It's a quest that's at least as awesome as playing the CD-i Zeldas. I mean:

Come on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those games reminded me of the VR Arcade machines at any amusement park in Florida. One of which was some sort of Star Wars ripoff, which always resulted in a small child being hit in the head with a plastic stick. It was not a safe game in the slightest. Then again, the rollercoaster nearby wasn't to safe either.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically videogames are already VR...so what exactly are we talking about? Just headsets?

That geometric skeleton battle looks great.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that VR will "never take off." Just because we've failed before? That's the only way we can improve; building upon our mistakes.

Truly immersive, fully realistic VR is something highly desirable, at least for me. The possibility to live in an exact replica (obviously as close as we could be, based off of our current knowledge) of Ancient Rome a la Star Trek's Holodeck is very tantalising.

The possibility for simulations as preparation of an infinite amount of real-world activities is there, too. I see VR as an inevitability. Whether it will replace "traditional" device-to-screen gaming is up for debate, but I definitely see it as a future.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that any virtual reality that would let you 'live' in Ancient Rome would be any kind of accurate representation sociopolitically or culturally. However, you would probably be able to fight a gladiator while tripping over your ottoman. Better yet, you could go to ancient Turkey and fight an Ottoman while tripping over your ottoman. On second thought, I think I'll buy that hip coffee table.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing this argument would be presented, I specifically noted in my post that it would (ideally) be as 'accurate' as possible. Meaning, a liviing, breathing world, not unlike what we see in modern games (think of how far AI has come in games like Morrowind/Oblivion).

Would we be able to nail all the niceties of the era? Surely not. Could we build a considerably large, fairly detailed world off of what we do know? With effort--yes. Trust me, whether single player or multiplayer MMO (think the general concept of .hack if you must use some analogy for single player), once you can touch and "feel" Roman architecture, there is a new dynamic which makes the core game un-boring. VR would be the savior of MMOs, really.

Quote:
Better yet, you could go to ancient Turkey and fight an Ottoman while tripping over your ottoman.

This was a ROFL in the flesh.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is really making me hostile toward my ottoman. or nightstand, as i'm actually using it.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I meant to say is that no one would ever actually make a game that represented Ancient Rome to the best of our knowledge because the gameplay would interfere. I don't think it could ever end up as anything more than a gladiator simulation with gorgeous, accurate Roman architecture. It would be like if somebody wanted to make a game about Florida and just had it be a bunch of trips to Disney World. Okay, now I know I need to work on my analogies.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
It would be like if somebody wanted to make a game about Florida and just had it be a bunch of trips to Disney World.

Someone has done that. Two companies, actually. Except I don't think the games were supposed to be about Flordia.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
It would be like if somebody wanted to make a game about Florida and just had it be a bunch of trips to Disney World.

Someone has done that. Two companies, actually. Except I don't think the games were supposed to be about Flordia.

Oh my, it's like the childhood I never had! Seriously. That just sounds sickening.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one trip I ever took to Florida was just an excuse to go to Disney World. I was 7 years old. Back then, they were just starting to have all kinds of crazy VR attractions. I didn't get to try any of them, so I can't say if they looked better than that game with the skeleton.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think trying to get some thing like the "holodeck" is going to be the goal before we go back to headmounts.

i just got Myron Krueger's "Artifical Reality 2" book...he was doing virtual space since like 1970, really amazing stuff that didn't hit the mainstream 'til like, the Eye Toy. (Here's a page I wrote on him...)

Of course, right now I have the luxury of a video projector...which makes a great expansive image, though of course it's going to be limited by not being able to stand in front of it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: