The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's Talk about Final Fantasy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you misread me. I wasn't jumping for joy, but I wasn't really agitated either. I just wrote down my thoughts...a lot of them. The length of my post shouldn't really indicate that I'm pissed off, because I'm not.

Quote:
What the hell does Vib Ribbon have to do with this? Pavlov's dog? You hear "FF sucks" and the FF-hater you imagine loves Vib Ribbon, so it all comes pouring out?

It was a satire on the prerequisites of games one is "supposed" to have played/know about/love in certain elite gaming circles.

Quote:

Don't play Dragon Quest if you're apprehensive about it. It's not a game you can force yourself to enjoy. Also, if you don't like Akira Toriyama's artwork, dude, you picked the wrong Dragon Quest like it was your job to suck at picking Dragon Quests.

Okay...? This thread is about debating the qualities of a certain series of games. I don't see how we can't debate the qualities of others too? You could easily say the same for this entire thread: "If you don't like Final Fantasy, don't play it." Well, we're trying to get thoughts and ideas out of this, so that's an incredibly defeatist attitude.

And maybe I did. Again, if anyone's coming off as indignant I think it might be you.

Quote:
Do you think that the disconnect between the things you do (cut goblins with swords) and the things that you see (teenage angst), actually improves the games?

Did I ever truly defend FFVIII? You're reading into my statements. While I didn't think it was atrocious, I don't disagree. VIII is a specific exception (VII and IX really don't emphasize either of these, as much as some people would like to say), and while I still enjoy the extremely odd world that is presented to you, it still has its shortcomings. I was playing Devil's Advocate.

I mean, if one of the only arguments was "it was confusing..." Again, I know there's no accounting for taste, but people say the same about Chrono Cross. And maybe they're right and entitled to their opinion--but I honestly think if Chrono Cross confuses you that much that all you need to do is go back and carefully pay attention to what is said.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like, I really liked FF9, with all its little nods to previous games and stuff, and I quite liked the plot about an arms dealer trying to stir up war, but then once you hit disc four - and there's a spoiler coming up here - they suddenly reveal that it's all the work of some alien guy who lives on a space ship and who grew the arms dealer and the main character in a pod on his ship. And I was, like, "What the fuck?" What was wrong with just carrying on the story as it was? Why do they need to start pulling loads of random sci-fi stuff out of their arses when you get near the end?

FF8 was kinda the same. Like I've said, I've never finished it, but I was quite happy with the first disc - the SeeD exam was one of my favourate things in games ever, and Edea seemed like a good enemy and stuff. And then it's like "Actually, the REAL enemy is this wizard from 1000 years ago!" or something, and it's just silly.

I guess that kind of thing worked alright in FF7, when you learn that Cloud's memories are mostly Zack's and stuff, but that's more of a rearranging of things you already knew about, rather than just dropping a load of new stuff on you in a flash. I mean, it would suck if you got to the last battle with Sephiroth and then it turned out that Sephiroth was actually a robot piloted by the ghost of Aeris' mum, who was actually the REAL driving force behind Shinra and the bio-engineer who created the Weapons and tricked everyone into believing all that lifestream bullshit.

It just feels like they're always pushing to add some more bullshit pseudoscience into the stories, for the benefit of the young teenagers who are willing to accept anything involving at least three out of God, aliens, cloning, time travel, the "earth spirit", demonic possession, secret societies and hypnosis as being deep and meaningful.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I guess that kind of thing worked alright in FF7, when you learn that Cloud's memories are mostly Zack's and stuff, but that's more of a rearranging of things you already knew about, rather than just dropping a load of new stuff on you in a flash. I mean, it would suck if you got to the last battle with Sephiroth and then it turned out that Sephiroth was actually a robot piloted by the ghost of Aeris' mum, who was actually the REAL driving force behind Shinra and the bio-engineer who created the Weapons and tricked everyone into believing all that lifestream bullshit.

Welcome to Advent Children.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
It's like, I really liked FF9, with all its little nods to previous games and stuff, and I quite liked the plot about an arms dealer trying to stir up war, but then once you hit disc four - and there's a spoiler coming up here - they suddenly reveal that it's all the work of some alien guy who lives on a space ship and who grew the arms dealer and the main character in a pod on his ship. And I was, like, "What the fuck?" What was wrong with just carrying on the story as it was? Why do they need to start pulling loads of random sci-fi stuff out of their arses when you get near the end?

To a certain degree, this is chronic in a lot of other media--especially slightly older anime-- where the trajectory is often: Good guy fights evil bad guy, evil bad guy turns out to be not so bad, and REALLY evil bad guy is revealed (or evil bad guy was just a puppet controlled by and even worse bad guy), and so on. It's been done so many times that it's hard to pull off without seeming cliche.

But it's also part of another problem with games themselves, where it feels like 99% of the development went into the first half of the game, and the last half seems unfinished by comparison, or in FFVII's case, half-hearted.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...they suddenly reveal that it's all the work of some alien guy who lives on a space ship and who grew the arms dealer and the main character in a pod on his ship.

I agree, that was sketchy. I was disappointed with that. At the same time, though, I always rationalise these sorts of things. If they had fleshed it out more, and really made him more of an extremely subtle omnipresent force, I would have been able to accept it more, but it was out of left field.

Quote:
It just feels like they're always pushing to add some more bullshit pseudoscience into the stories, for the benefit of the young teenagers who are willing to accept anything involving at least three out of God, aliens, cloning, time travel, the "earth spirit", demonic possession, secret societies and hypnosis as being deep and meaningful.

I agree. One thing that ticks me off about modern RPGs is how readily they are willing to base the entire story off of ambiguous spiritual precepts and lame allusions to God and other odic forces. Xenogears was a great game, I think, but it did suffer from this syndrome. When a story breaks down and resorts to vague explanations of planetary forces...meh. It turns me off. In some cases, it's the basis for the story (as in FFVII), which I suppose is fine.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fort90 showed me some vib ribbon the other day. that game is fucking sick as hell with "just one fix" playing as the soundtrack.

anyhoo...
six was good stuff.
seven was a strong start followed by "oops we forgot to finish writing that part" as others have pointed out
eight, i never got that far, cause i just lost interest and like, oh yeah, we're all raised at the same orphanage is just a bit too over the line for me
nine was a filler title.

now with ten, i'd been making jokes for a while that it seemed jrpgs were "i hate you dad" games wrapped around a love triangle (cause talking to girls is hard) and i picked up ten for like, nine dollars in a used bin. imagine my surprise/horror when i discover the game's plot is, literally, "i hate you dad CAUSE YOU'RE SATAN!" i gave up on jrpgs at that point entirely, as you can imagine.

what the fuck is up with japan?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could easily say the same for this entire thread: "If you don't like Final Fantasy, don't play it."

And I think we can agree that this is pretty sound advice. If you want to discuss the merits of Dragon Quest, that is one thing, but why force yourself to play, full of apprehension?

That question I asked, about goblins and angst, was not specific to Final Fantasy VIII. I'm not sure why you thought it was. The goblins come and go -- sometimes they are marlboros or zuus -- but what I mean is that in Final Fantasy games, there is a story that you watch, and all the time you are kept busy and happy by poking things with swords and managing your sword-poking skill trees. Do you think the games are better for that disconnect?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got FFXII today! Impressions are top secret though...

Comments on the current thread I've got plenty of. We bitch and bitch about the stories of Final Fantasy games, but really what are your opinions on the whole gameplay part of Final Fantasy as compared to other JRPGs. Do you like the fact that they seem to try something new with each game to varying degrees of success? Do the random battles turn you off more or less in a FF game than in other series?

Personally, my favorite things in the FF series happen in the sub-menus. I was talking about it with Shaper over the weekend and he doesn't think this stuff counts as gameplay, but to me this is where the gameplay starts and everything else is just filler. I love managing the direction of my character's growth, keeping track of their HP, switching their classes, maximizing materia, swapping items, and moving along the sphere grid. I adore changing my text-box color at the beginning of the game (blue-aqua for life baby!) and naming my characters after friends and pets.

To me, this is the stuff that sets the Final Fantasy series apart from standard RPGs. They're always trying something new - always asking you to put at least a little thought into how you're going to evolve your characters. From what I've heard about XII's AI-routine creation sub-screens I think it could become my favorite in the series from this aspect alone.

In some way the exploration and stories are the neccessary evil that I put up with to get to these menus. I think I'm an anomoly.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

I adore changing my text-box color at the beginning of the game (blue-aqua for life baby!) and naming my characters after friends and pets.

To me, this is the stuff that sets the Final Fantasy series apart from standard RPGs.

In some way the exploration and stories are the neccessary evil that I put up with to get to these menus. I think I'm an anomoly.

-Wes

I don't thnik you're an anomoly. I mean, we all have different tastes. But looking at the series in this retrospect, gives me the nostalgia that I previously mentioned. Like naming one of the characters after my cat or dog, or friend. Shit like that. However, due to a changing of times, I don't feel the same way about it. I have hundreds of Wizardry characters named after friends, e.t.c and it feels vaguely the same. I don't know, I'm glad that someone still enjoys this aspect of the games.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:

To a certain degree, this is chronic in a lot of other media--especially slightly older anime-- where the trajectory is often: Good guy fights evil bad guy, evil bad guy turns out to be not so bad, and REALLY evil bad guy is revealed (or evil bad guy was just a puppet controlled by and even worse bad guy), and so on. It's been done so many times that it's hard to pull off without seeming cliche.

I would make the argument that this sort of convention isn't directly linked to either Final Fantasy OR anime, but is in fact common in the entire science fiction genre regardless of the media used to convey it.

dhex wrote:
imagine my surprise/horror when i discover the game's plot is, literally, "i hate you dad CAUSE YOU'RE SATAN!"

That's the most apt description of FFX I have ever seen, and it's absolutely hilarious.
Faithless

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very hard for me to post about Final Fantasies because they are so very dear to me. I listen to people rag on them endlessly; the way the stories are described as "shallow" or "silly," how the gameplay is "archaic" or "broken," and I'm forced to ask whether I, too, am these things.

My defense requires this conceit -- Final Fantasy is a religion. Enjoying the games is like an exercise of spirituality.

On Menus and Materia Management: Think of Final Fantasy as a religious experience. And Menus, Stat-Juggling, and ATBs are the rituals of this religion. What is gained by lighting a candle and fingering a rosary? Couldn't baptism be done away with to allow a quicker, more "accurate" access to heaven? These rituals are placeholders, and the act of engaging the rituals produce a meditative state in the congregation. Menus are Hymns. ATBs are communion. They are archaic to enforce reflection, to bring about trance.

On Plot and Character: A literal reading of the bible will reveal terrible plot devices and strained character relationships. But the "feeling" the dogma induces in some is an enriching, satisfying journey. In the same way, the lines between events and people in Final Fantasies are sometimes forced, often poorly paced, and sometimes incomplete. But if Final Fantasy is a religion, then these oversights allow the fanboys to draw their own conclusions, to personalize the fiction with their own ideas.

On Cinemas and Non-Interactive Text: Here are your sermons, your moments of repose where you listen Now and consider Later. Here is revelation, non-interactive. Church is not always browsable; sometimes, you are told a story. You don't raise your hand or ask a question during a lecture; that happens afterwords, in the hallways or forums where the audience gathers. You don't interrupt the sage to say, "Is there a different way you can tell me this?"

If Final Fantasy is a relgion, it would certainly explain the close minded fervor of its followers, and the ease with which it is adopted by teenagers. And now I have to go to work.
Faithless

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

I promise you, you're not alone. I love menus.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's either the beginning of the single best or single worst article tgq will ever publish.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't all articles in TGQ exactly that?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're just on some next level shit.

however, the higher up you are the farther you have to fall.

so long as no one quotes joseph campbell, we're good.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quote Joseph Campbell every time I post!! Oh nO!
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cringes*

Although I understand why, comparing Final Fantasy to a religion...? In a favorable light...? NoooOooo!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Although I understand why, comparing Final Fantasy to a religion...? In a favorable light...? NoooOooo!

yeah, don't you kill god in most final fantasy games?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming God is represented in your father or a similar father figure, yes. Although there are a few where you literally kill God as well, I think. Or the precursor of humanity, or something equally odd.

Or maybe that was Evangelion I'm thinking of, although the distinctions tend to blur sometimes.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex should totally see Evangelion.

And, well, I liked your other definition of FFX more dhex, the one you told me a few months ago. "I hate you dad, because you're literally the last monster I have to kill."

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom Roguelike is the greatest RPG ever made.

LJ -- Profile
Faithless

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

Isn't killing god the pretty much the foundation of christianity?
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

No, that 's learned man. Or science.
Faithless

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:

No, that 's learned man. Or science.

TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of think that FF7 gets too much flak.

It is largely responsible for getting us out of the era of cookie-cutter plots. You don't have to recognize FF7's plot as necessarily good, mind you. And it definitely wasn't the first game to try to do something beyond "aliens are invading, defeat them!" But it was the first to really inspire creativity via video game storytelling.

This, along with how it popularized the RPG genre in the States, makes it a necessary inclusion into any discussion of video game history. It seems like it is mentioned all too often, but being one of the most important games makes it also the most analyzed.

I kind of think the same thing happened with the original Castlevania. I hate it, and everyone seems to mention it at any given opportunity because it led to such great things.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

crucifixion lol?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dhex should totally see Evangelion.

eh. japanese cartoons.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

anyhoooooooooo there's a point to be made somewhere about how any kind of immersion into a type of media - rather than interacting with it on more obvious and less time-consuming ways - requires an act of faith of sorts, an ability to step out and believe in that fictional world a little bit more than the physical one that surrounds you. to allow it's characterizations to become part of your mind, if just for a little bit, and accept the rules of another mental landscape to overcome your own.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion is the root of Japanese "I hate you dad" plotlines. In its case being "I hate you, dad, because you're making me pilot a giant robot that contains the soul of my dead mother against angels sent by god." Also, all of the main characters are in high school.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Evangelion also made by a guy who pretty much hates anime fans and hates himself for making anime or something? The way you described it to me over the phone that one time made it all sound like a pretty huge affair of self loathing.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Faithless wrote:
dessgeega wrote:
Lockeownzj00 wrote:

crucifixion lol?

i thought of clive barker's imajica.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Isn't Evangelion also made by a guy who pretty much hates anime fans and hates himself for making anime or something? The way you described it to me over the phone that one time made it all sound like a pretty huge affair of self loathing.

Evangelion is many things: an existential parable, a self-indictment of the otaku life, and a giant mess of misplaced references. The self-loathing really emerges in the second half after Hideaki Anno made after suffering through a nervous breakdown. And it's filled with self-loathing because Anno had been in a rut for four years before making Evangelion and he wanted to communicate what it's like to be a loser.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

Evangelion is many things: an existential parable, a self-indictment of the otaku life, and a giant mess of misplaced references. The self-loathing really emerges in the second half after Hideaki Anno made after suffering through a nervous breakdown. And it's filled with self-loathing because Anno had been in a rut for four years before making Evangelion and he wanted to communicate what it's like to be a loser.

This is indeed very true. Wikipedia can fill anyone in on the series with great accuracy actually. It's generally a very, well decent series. I think the imagery is what throws everyone off into thinking that there is something else below the surface. The imagery is there because it looked cool, not because it's concerned with the relationships of Christianity and the followers of it. Cause and effect, e.t.c. Instead, I quote you for truth good sir, as this hit the head of the nail dead on.

dessgeega wrote:

i thought of clive barker's imajica

We were thinking the same thing then.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva and Final Fantasy in one thread? I'm dangerously close to losing my shit.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once watched the last part of the Eva movie. I've never watched the series.

The whole ending sequence kind of struck me as darkly comedic.

I was laughing at least.

LJ -- Profile
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion is one of my favourate things to have ever appeared on my TV, ever. But part of me thinks that it probably isn't as good as I think it is. Perhaps this is the same thing as Final Fantasy fans not being able to describe exactly what it is they like about it so much?

Or: Perhaps years of playing too much Final Fantasy and watching strange anime has rendered us (by whom I mean Final Fantasy fans and I) unable to use words to fully thingy our whatsits?
GSL

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Or: Perhaps years of playing too much Final Fantasy and watching strange anime has rendered us (by whom I mean Final Fantasy fans and I) unable to use words to fully thingy our whatsits?

Be careful where you thingy your whatsit these days. I had an entire PTA after me with a lynch mob a few months back for the same damn thing.

How was I supposed to know it was a school zone?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
Eva and Final Fantasy in one thread? I'm dangerously close to losing my shit.

DO IT!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Faithless

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean ... wasn't 1995-96-97 the genesis of the modern otaku? Evangelion, Saturn, Playstation, Final Fantasy VII?

How many figures does Densha Otoko have up in his room from Eva? Eva is a decade old!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithless wrote:
Eva is a decade old!

Putting it this way makes me sad (read also: old). I mean... I started buying the VHS tapes after the 3rd one was released and stayed for the whole thing.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Faithless

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Faithless wrote:
Eva is a decade old!

Putting it this way makes me sad (read also: old). I mean... I started buying the VHS tapes after the 3rd one was released and stayed for the whole thing.

Yeah, I've now purchased Evangelion once on VHS, once on initial release DVD (with subtitle overlay problems), once with re-released subtitles, two discs on PAL release, and the final, boxed, Platinum Edition.

It sounds awful to write it like that, but it's easy to justify it when I think of it as a decade of editions.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion's longevity is testament to what a properly motivated company will do to keep milking a successful franchise.

Okay, so the show itself is good enough to stand the test of time, but that's not nearly as amusing to poke fun at as Gainax's perpetual prostitution.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Evangelion's longevity is testament to what a properly motivated company will do to keep milking a successful franchise.

Okay, so the show itself is good enough to stand the test of time, but that's not nearly as amusing to poke fun at as Gainax's perpetual prostitution.

Gainax made Gun Buster an then FLCL. They can do no wrong in my eyes. Ever.

They can milk it because all Gainax fans think this way. Any that don't are exposed and shunned by society.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
now with ten, i'd been making jokes for a while that it seemed jrpgs were "i hate you dad" games wrapped around a love triangle (cause talking to girls is hard) and i picked up ten for like, nine dollars in a used bin. imagine my surprise/horror when i discover the game's plot is, literally, "i hate you dad CAUSE YOU'RE SATAN!" i gave up on jrpgs at that point entirely, as you can imagine.

Its hilarity is equaled only by its truth.

I have only played and completed two FF games: four and seven. I played both within the last three years. I enjoyed them, despite having hated them when they came out. I think the newfound interest was due to my sudden desire to play An RPG. I took them for what they were, almost as a personal quest of some kind.

In any case, I can understand as a man what a lot of teenagers get out of the plots of games like FF7. But as a man, I can't accept these plots in retrospect very well; they defy logic and, well, good writing. FF4's plot is so simple, I didn't care about its juvenile nature; I enjoyed it, though, because of how terse and limited it was, because I like things like adventure games, where you really are playing for the plot. I played it and thought, Yes, in 1992 I would have really appreciated this in a non-trivial way. I'm very sincere in that statement.

With FF7, I sort of gave into the melodrama and the emo brooding. I like romantic and inter-personal stories (which is sort of obvious by now), so FF7's love triangle really intrigued me. (Nevermind that it was half-baked, and by the end of the game I realized that; I kept playing because despite knowing that Aeris was going to die, I was ignorant to the rest of the plot.)

I, like most, enjoyed the first portion of the game immensely; the high-energy, steampunk romp through a hopeless, lonely, neon-lit undercarriage of a city wasn't new by the time I played the game, but I could, again, appreciate it for its time. It is unfortunate that outside Midgar, the game really loses a lot.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here. RPG plots are meant for that endless conveyor belt of lonely teenagers, so as a fully-formed adult I have no interest in them, for the same reason I don't read books from the Young Adults section of the library.

The Final Fantasy games as games are a mixed bag for me; I don't enjoy JRPG gameplay at all, so without a compelling plot (see above), I've no reason to play. But I can't deny the odd twinge, the occasional urge to jump into the hypestream and engorge myself on lovely CG cutscenes. Then, I usually realize that this means 40–80 hours of my life, and I quit. It's a constant struggle.

Also, I hate my dad.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
The Final Fantasy games as games are a mixed bag for me; I don't enjoy JRPG gameplay at all, so without a compelling plot (see above), I've no reason to play. But I can't deny the odd twinge, the occasional urge to jump into the hypestream and engorge myself on lovely CG cutscenes. Then, I usually realize that this means 40–80 hours of my life, and I quit. It's a constant struggle.

Also, I hate my dad.

It may be the struggle that a lot of true Final Fantasy fans really enjoy. Or at least it's a possibility that it could be the main reason why a lot of players keep on coming back. The "see it all", "get it all" "beat em' all" attitude that has been a part of the games for a while now. It's an uphill battle to really make any waves or progress in any Final Fantasy. That jump you speak of is more of a masochistic jump into oblivion.

Which I do sometimes as well, just with other JRPG's like Tales Of. Also, I do not hate my dad. But your comment really made me laugh. Seriously.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing Final Fantasy XII last night in Japanese. I can't make out the plot very well at all, but from what I have figured out I'm pretty sure the story is "I hate someone else's dad."

It's a nice twist.

Aside from this, the game seems to borrow a lot from previous Final Fantasy games in a nostalgic way while borrowing very little at a gameplay level. The intro features incredible orchestrated remixes of the Final Fantasy IV soundtrack, and the world is one that seems to be powered by crystals. The nostalgiic feelings that these things trigger in me remind me why people defend the 16-bit Final Fantasy games with so much effort.

The 16-bit games really did have more in common than just the Final Fantasy name, and that design styling was sacrificed for steam punk design in FFVII, shades of gray in FFVIII, and flamboyancy in FFX and X-2. FFIX and XI were closer to what I see as Final Fantasy, and this game feels closer visually to both of those than any of the other games in the series. Unlike those two, it seems like the system FFXII is on (PS2) was made precisely with this game in mind, and it never feels like the system is stretching its limits to create the amazing visuals even though it must be. The game looks better than anything I've seen on the Playstation 2, and they're not afraid to let you test that theory by bringing the camera in as close as possible and twirling it around to look at the intricately designed areas.

I have stuff to say about the gameplay, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to. I'll just say that I think I need to get a bit further before it really catches me.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: