The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT WERE THEY (by whom I mean Nintendo) THINKING?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: WHAT WERE THEY (by whom I mean Nintendo) THINKING? Reply with quote

It's not too late.

I'm still holding onto the hope that Nintendo officially announcing the Revolution as the "Nintendo Wii" is all just a big joke.

They can're seriously call it that?

It's commercial suicide?

Can anyone imagine buying a Sony Pisz?

Jesus.

Just... Jesus.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, until someone pointed it out to me I never associated Wii with wee (like weewee and urine). Because it looks like WiFi my brain says Nintendo Why, and even after I read that it was supposed to be pronounced We, I still did not make that distinction.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still not convinced it's that stupid a move.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to post this as well.

I'm... speechless. I liked Revolution better.

LJ -- Profile
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's very conceptual.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

Really?

"Mommy, I want a Wii for Christmas."

"What!?"

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the US, but nobody in the UK will be able to say it without thinking of piss.

It's like Microsoft Schytbox or something.

I fail to see how they could have picked a worse name. The Nintendo Rayp, perhaps?

Just... Jesus!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I can't speak for the US, but nobody in the UK will be able to say it without thinking of piss.

Well then you location makes you look like a fanboy.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the first thing I thought of was what aderack just linked: Nobody says whee anymore.

I think Nintendo's wrong to shun abbreviation. People like abbreviating. Come on, say "TG-16" with me. Tee Gee Six Teen.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nintendo's brass totally read this book, btw or had it read to them, or perhaps summed up in an executive report.

especially the copy on that link, it's very...lovemarky. apple is a good model for that kind of market interpretation (boils down to "loyalty beyond reason") and i can see where they're going with this. a lot of the romanticism in the copy makes me wonder who, exactly, they're trying to speak to.

i would love to see some of their demographic data.

(p.s. i keep tossing out that creepy fucking lovemarks book because as disturbing as it is, it's also quite true.)
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we just supposed to go back to calling it the Nintendo now, then? Like, "hey, let's go play that new Nintendo." and "yeah, cool, I love what they did with the new controller for the new Nintendo."

Yeah.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I fail to see how they could have picked a worse name.
. . .
Just... Jesus!

Yes, I think the Nintendo Jesus would have been a worse name.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the worst thing about the DS. When people come round to our house and see me playing on it, the following conversation takes place:

What's that?
It's a DS.
...What's that?
...It's the "third pillar" of Nintendo's current-gen hardware, and the flagship system for their much-publicised philosophy of redefining gameplay and reaching out to non-gamers, mostly because its touch screen allows for intuitive control systems that previous consoles haven't been able to offer.
...What's that?

(etc)

I'm lying, obviously. I usually just end up saying "It's the new Gameboy". I can almost feel Reggie Fils-Aimes punching me in his dreams.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents call it the gameboy.

i don't think nintendo actually minds! seeing as they want parents to be playing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or Ico.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitend(thulu).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

I agree. I know there are a lot of people likening the name to common colloquial for urine, but I have laugh at the irony that we can simultaneously argue for games being taken more seriously as entertainment and then turn around and be horrified at juvenile urine jokes. I mean, I read the announcement on IC and my first thought was, "Hello, 2nd grade, I've missed you. Has it really been so long?"
sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
(p.s. i keep tossing out that creepy fucking lovemarks book because as disturbing as it is, it's also quite true.)

for a second I was going to ask if you wanted to send it to me instead of tossing it out (and apparently retrieving it, and tossing it out, and retrieving it, and tossing it out....)

Aside from the initial shock, I'm not terribly shaken. I'm less concerned about the general public's perception of the machine and more concerned about its features and games.

I lament the lack of awesome logo/decoration (text-only booooooo). Wii.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone hear the rumored specs for the Wii? Check this out. According to 1up, accoring to IGN, the Wii will be slightly more powerful than the X-box. I read this a while ago, but I assumed it was an April fools joke and this is the first place I've seen it repeated. Do you guys think having a vastly underpowered system is a good or bad idea for Nintendo? Shouldn't their new system be vastly more powerful than the Gamecube regardless of new controller functions? If it's true it could be interesting. It might mean the Wii will be priced at well under even the assumed $200 mark. Crazy.

Another thing I'm curious about. If the Wii is focused on bringing people together to play shouldn't it come packaged with two controllers?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Shouldn't their new system be vastly more powerful than the Gamecube regardless of new controller functions?

i think the controller makes it vastly more powerful than the gamecube.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
Shouldn't their new system be vastly more powerful than the Gamecube regardless of new controller functions?

i think the controller makes it vastly more powerful than the gamecube.

Oh you!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes, the most powerful system of all is your imagination.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
wes, the most powerful system of all is your imagination.

You sound like an Infocom ad!

Mixed feelings about the name. I think it might be too artsy to work.

Branding and Nintendo has been a little strange.
I still love the rotating Ns of the N64. I thought it was more flexible than the GC logo, which only really "works" from one angle... when I first saw it I did a little logo math:
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I agree. I know there are a lot of people likening the name to common colloquial for urine, but I have laugh at the irony that we can simultaneously argue for games being taken more seriously as entertainment and then turn around and be horrified at juvenile urine jokes. I mean, I read the announcement on IC and my first thought was, "Hello, 2nd grade, I've missed you. Has it really been so long?"

Eh. A console's name is all about marketing, and to me marketing is all about initial impressions. If the very first thought it triggers in my head is an annoying segment from a bad movie featured on MST3K, and the subsequent thoughts are about genitals and urination, I think it's a bad idea, plain and simple.

Of course, as Dhex pointed out, Nintendo's probably doing this on purpose. They're trying to seem edgy and cool, and its fans are now going to retaliate on message boards with how edgy and cool this is. This lovemarking thing apparently works, and it utterly confounds me, precisely because companies like Nintendo and Apple are trying to get me to apply convoluted logic -- nay, any thought at all -- to things as utterly inane as console titles.

Let the 2nd grade jokes thrive. There is no need for me to pretend that marketing is anything more than marketing.

-seryogin
xvs07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
There is no need for me to pretend that marketing is anything more than marketing.

Trouble is, marketing is what will decide whether this system lives or dies. The Dreamcast was and is a hot lil' box, but it didn't stand a chance for numerous reasons, one of which was very poor marketing. I'm not in love with Nintendo's choice of name, but I'm not hating it terribly either. It's going to come down to how effing cool the commercials are: if they pipe rawesomeness directly into the hindbrain of little Billy Lower-Middleclass, we're going to have a revolution on our hands regardless of what we call it. Therefore put your faith in the devil, because the software designers will only get their day if the marketeers do their evil work and do it well.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely, and have made the same point elsewhere. I was just saying that I, as one of those pretentious, sophisticated gamer-types who thinks he's better than everyone else, should not be obliged to put anything more than a 2nd-grade-worthy thought into a company's marketing. I'll leave the complex analysis for the actual games, brand-loyalists and Apple-likeners be damned.

-seryogin
xvs07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::nod:: As it should be, but I just happen to be one of those guys with a Virtual Boy in the closet. (I still occasionally play it, even. Yeah. I'm sick.)

Anyhow, if the marketscum *do* succeed, I can't imagine this line-up failing. Tantalizingly, I'm most excited about the titles from companies I've never heard of. Especially "Darkness". I keep having daydreams about the creators sitting around reading "I Am Legend" (by Richard Matheson, if you ain't read it yet).
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next system Sony releases will be called the PlayStation 3. How's that for lazy?

Hey, how about actually talking about the real issue: crappy games built on a gimmick controller?? You know, it's really cool that swinging the controller will make Link swing his sword. I bet that would be really fun the first two hundred times or so... Or "kicking" the ball or throwing or dodging or even PLAYING A GAME to be more physical an excercise. Great how Nintendo is going to demand all Wii games to be intensive and use the controller in new and innovative ways. See how great that worked out for the DS?

I'm fairly positive that last sentance wasn't sarcastic. Even if the DS is kicking PSP ass. A system that is tehnically superior and more features and more sleek with sexy sexyness, etc.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Did anyone hear the rumored specs for the Wii? Check this out. According to 1up, accoring to IGN, the Wii will be slightly more powerful than the X-box. I read this a while ago, but I assumed it was an April fools joke and this is the first place I've seen it repeated. Do you guys think having a vastly underpowered system is a good or bad idea for Nintendo? Shouldn't their new system be vastly more powerful than the Gamecube regardless of new controller functions? If it's true it could be interesting. It might mean the Wii will be priced at well under even the assumed $200 mark. Crazy.

Yeah, I do.

Think about all of the people, mostly developers, who feel that we're not really done with this generation of hardware. It looks like Nintendo's strategy is to go up a half generation instead of a full generation. And by keeping the specs close to the original Gamecube, they can be sure that developers don't have to relearn programming tricks on a new console. And that, in turn, means you have a better chance of Wii games looking better than Gamecube games at launch.

However, it's not something that Nintendo could keep up for very long. They'll have to create a massive hardware upgrade eventually; they could be looking to save up cash and rebuild marketshare before they risk on a powerful system.

And, yeah, now that you mention it, a sub-$200 price does seem reasonable.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.

It occurs to me just now that Nintendo must have known that "Wii" wasn't going to resonate with the "hardcore" of those on the Internet enthusiast press. Why else would they release the name so suddenly before E3, instead of at E3.

Kyle Orland points out that, in all the fuss about the marketing equivalent of replacing Snake with Raiden, it has gone almost entirely reported that apparently we have a confirmation for a fourth-quarter launch. Can you imagine how much information would have been lost if all the live-bloggers at Nintendo's E3 event were texting penis jokes instead of making notes about important specs?

Definitely better to get it out of the way now.
purplechair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... wee?!

Sorry, I just...

...wee?!?!

(I'll stop now. Stop saying it, anyway.)
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
It looks like Nintendo's strategy is to go up a half generation instead of a full generation.

But this isn't even going a half generation. It's going up the same generation. These are basically the X-box's specs, right? I just find that really, really odd. Who would even buy a 733 mhz computer these days?

Crazy. I'm not totally passing judgement until I see some games running on it, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to not even try to compete with the current generation.

Did you hear that Madden Wii runs completely on the Gamecube engine and that they're upgrading nothing but the interface? It just seems so odd. It's like if Nintendo released the DS with power of the Game Boy Advance . It would still be nice, but it's much nicer that it has the power of the N64 instead.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wii will be more powerful than the Gamecube, for sure, but I think you're missing something.

Imagine living in a dorm or an apartment and finding out that someone across the hall or above a floor has a Wii. Not only do the systems talk to each other, it gets you to talk to the other person. Instead of one person having one console, everyone has their own. Power multiplies exponentially. Imagine having 5 other roommates and everyone with their own Wii? Imagine living in an apartment in Tokyo, and having people all around you with their own Wii?

Are you really going to care that your game only looks like Halo 2? WIth a price the cost of half an XBox 360, you can get two consoles and put them on two televisions. Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo released an (expensive) hub to get 4 running splitscreen on an HDTV.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the XBox 360 et al seem to be only quanitative, not qualitative improvements in graphics, I'm not too concerned. It seems like the current generation can display pretty much anything that needs displaying at a good framerate.

Actually, given how it seems like the art costs increase w/ every increase in resolution, maybe it's not such a terrible thing.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, think about it: As it stands, the Gamecube is a pretty darn impressive machine. Games like Resident Evil 4 and Rogue Leader are testaments to its power.
It can easily be argued that there are a good deal of games out there that follow the style-over-substance creed, looking good because developers want to take advantage of as much of the flashy graphic options as possible, yet really being lousy games when scrutiny is turned onto the gameplay. Having a system without as many of the new bells and whistles should certainly help curb that attitude a little bit.

While that opinion is more along the lines of pure speculation, the Wii has one advantage right out of the gates that the 360 and PS3 will not: people can program for it. With every console release, there's always the warming-up period as designers first get the hang of writing code for the new hardware and then finally begin learning how to push the hardware to its limits. Title releases in the first several months to a year are often lukewarm at best--have a look at the DS and 360 launch titles, for example. Resident Evil 4, assuming Capcom had been working on the game with as much effort at the time, would probably not have looked or even played as good if it had been released within the first few years of the Gamecube's life. Nintendo is giving developers a huge advantage with a system so similar to its current offering in that they won't have to hurdle the huge learning curve of a new system. Of course, there's interacting with the controller and several other differences, but it will be nowhere near the leap from X-Box to 360, or PS2 to PS3 (or even PSX to PS2). Presumably--and hopefully--this will result in a fair amount of quality launch titles and help Nintendo past the typical post-launch game slump where every develope tries to figure out how to used the damn hardware.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
The Wii will be more powerful than the Gamecube, for sure, but I think you're missing something.

Imagine living in a dorm or an apartment and finding out that someone across the hall or above a floor has a Wii. Not only do the systems talk to each other, it gets you to talk to the other person. Instead of one person having one console, everyone has their own. Power multiplies exponentially. Imagine having 5 other roommates and everyone with their own Wii? Imagine living in an apartment in Tokyo, and having people all around you with their own Wii?

Are you really going to care that your game only looks like Halo 2? WIth a price the cost of half an XBox 360, you can get two consoles and put them on two televisions. Hell, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo released an (expensive) hub to get 4 running splitscreen on an HDTV.

Wuh? Are you sure you're not talking about the PS3 here? I seriously haven't heard anything about this, but assuming it's true, this really doesn't sound like Nintendo. They've been saying that the system power won't matter. Not that it would increase exponentially.

I'm partially playing devil's advocate. I understand that we don't NEED power, but I do think it's nice to have. The worst part of being underpowered as we go into the next generation is that it means multiplatform releases are going to need a singificant amount of tailoring to Nintendo's console even beyond just changing the controls up. This is going to further alienate third parties and we might end up with another system where games are so few and far between that it gives the impression of an abandoned system even when it hasn't completely died (see the Gamecube last Christmas).

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't you guys curious when you saw the Wii specs include a wireless network adapter in the box? All signs indicate that this system will launch at $200 or less. Did you know that the wireless adapter for the 360 is half that price at $100?

In light of recent events, I'm certain that interaction between consoles is a key part of Nintendo's strategy. Maybe "power" was the wrong word. Its usually associated with console specs, and yeah, the Wii is definitely underpowered. But, Nintendo's an innovative company, and I think that they're not just drawing the creative power from designers, but the ability for players to interact.

Hell, I can even give a couple examples as to where Nintendo came up with this idea. Does anyone remember that pretty-much-worthless wireless Pokemon game?

_Marcel Duchamp
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the wifi says "DS link-up"
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
'm partially playing devil's advocate. I understand that we don't NEED power, but I do think it's nice to have. The worst part of being underpowered as we go into the next generation is that it means multiplatform releases are going to need a singificant amount of tailoring to Nintendo's console even beyond just changing the controls up. This is going to further alienate third parties and we might end up with another system where games are so few and far between that it gives the impression of an abandoned system even when it hasn't completely died (see the Gamecube last Christmas).

So, I was thinking. Nintendo extended the life of its cartridge-based consoles platforms by developing chips that could be placed within the cartridges, effectively upgrading the console enough to play the game.

Might Nintendo have a way to do something like this using the USB ports?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should hope they tie it into their handheld market. it certainly hasn't been completely flogged yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

That's pretty expensive when all you're doing is connecting things locally.

_Marcel Duchamp
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wi-Fi to me says "how the hell are you going to download NES/SNES/Turbo/Genesis/N64 games without a way to connect to the internet?"

Why Wi-fi instead of ethernet then?

Because it's really, really convenient - even for a console that's not portable. Nintendo actually wants people to use their online games if they're going to invest a lot in making them. For a wi-fi enabled system you won't have to run a wire from your computer to your game console, you just have to have some sort of internet connection in your home, or hell even a neighbor's home. And the whole wi-fi dongle thing isn't called the "DS Wi-Fi dongle" it's called the "Nintendo wi-fi dongle," because they want you to use it to get your both your Wii and your DS online without having to compromise your system or computer's location.

The single biggest reason people don't get online with their consoles isn't because they don't have internet access, it's because it's inconvenient. Entertainment shouldn't be inconvenient, and that's the single reason that Wii is including a Wi-fi adapter instead of (or maybe amongst?) an ethernet port.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
dark steve wrote:

What's expensive? Wifi?
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Because it's really, really convenient - even for a console that's not portable. Nintendo actually wants people to use their online games if they're going to invest a lot in making them. For a wi-fi enabled system you won't have to run a wire from your computer to your game console, you just have to have some sort of internet connection in your home, or hell even a neighbor's home.

It will only be convenient if they include some actual setup program to configure access through your existing internet connection. The 'setup' utility with the current WiFi USB adaptor is abysmal and basically just installs a few drivers and sets up a generic, arbitrary shared internet connection--which is fine if, say, you love virii and have neither a firewall or router protecting your system. Lets hope they do a bit better job of configuring access with whatever route they choose to take for the Wii.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm all tuckered out from arguing over nyah.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck the internets for making me notice this.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagine the looks I'm going to get when I tell people that I bought a "Wii".

The advertising slogan should be "I need to Wii".
player 2

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
player 2 wrote:
dark steve wrote:

What's expensive? Wifi?

Compared to wired, yes. Also:

OtakupunkX wrote:
I can only imagine the looks I'm going to get when I tell people that I bought a "Wii".

The advertising slogan should be "I need to Wii".

Wii-tarded?

_Marcel Duchamp
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wii-tarded?

As tired as the pee jokes are already getting, in my New England region here they might be able to market it as "Wii-kid Pissah!"

Just a thought.

Last edited by kirkjerk on Tue May 02, 2006 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: