The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuperWes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
When will this marrying madness end?!

actually, this is an even better wedding vow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, just get it over with, dudes.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, bro, and good luck.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nobody really wants that lowest common denominator bland-yet-somehow-gourmet wedding chicken.

our food was fucking awesome, and everyone had more than they could eat. we had no idea why - we were late to the reception due to traffic, but no one seemed to care even though we were the afternoon wedding - until we found out that the couple who were supposed to get the place next had cancelled the day before. which is better than trying to cancel a few years later, i suppose.

we wrote our own vows. they were fucking great. dunno why anyone would do otherwise. (presuming you see a wedding as a pledge of yourself and someone else into a third kind of, uh, thing/form/manifestation, etc, rather than a social act.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had lemon-garlic chicken. That chicken fucked your mom, it was that good.

And yeah, writing your own vows, it's the only way to go.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
That chicken fucked your mom, it was that good.

Dess, you may have jumped the gun a little, because THAT is some kind of wedding vow.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to an awesome China Buffet after the wedding.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
We went to an awesome China Buffet after the wedding.

Your marriage was so ghetto dude. Good thing your wife is cool!

Changing topic: I've been playing Phantasy Star Universe with DonMarco lately and it's a pretty good time. Last night I ended up in a party with some guy who works at an EB near here that I've actually shopped at before.

Huh?

What's even better; the day before we ended up with some racist dude who was having problems with his Xbox 360, but refused to send it back to Microsoft because he didn't want to miss out on Gears of War. After an hour of playing his system locked up and he had to reset.

It's totally hillarious playing a co-op game with the type of person who's generally really annoying in competitive games. He was still kind of annoying, but he was more just talkative.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes. I have a quick question for you. WHen you were in Japan, did I remember you saying you went to a Pokemon store? They put some kind of decal on your gameboy? Or was that the Nintendo store? Could you tell me where that is at? And did they do things like give you free pokemon too there? Was that in Tokyo or where was it? I can't find anything on Google!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Wes. I have a quick question for you. WHen you were in Japan, did I remember you saying you went to a Pokemon store? They put some kind of decal on your gameboy? Or was that the Nintendo store? Could you tell me where that is at? And did they do things like give you free pokemon too there? Was that in Tokyo or where was it? I can't find anything on Google!

I didn't see this! Now I see it!

I got a little Pokemon Game Boy Advance SP "protector" thingy at a store near my house. It was just one of those random portable gaming accessories you see around. I think I only saw the one I have one time, but you should find something similar if you look around a bit. They're already got Super Mario Bros ones out for the DS if Play Asia is to be believed.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my little blog thingy is kinda boring I'm going to maybe try to use this area to keep track of games that I finish in 2007. I'll start now!

Elite Beat Agents
Nintendo DS

This was a damn good game - maybe not great when looked at by music game standards, but taken purely as a videogame it was superb. How does something fail at being a music game yet succeed at being a videogame? Simple. By having a terrible track selection but compelling enough interaction to keep you interested in pushing forward regardless. Elite Beat Agents had songs like Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boi" and Ashlee Simpson's "La La" are pretty representative of how bad the track selection gets, but songs like Jamiroquai's "Canned Heat" and Chicago's "You're the Inspiration" sort of make up for it.

Structurally, Elite Beat Agents is probably closer to Parappa the Rapper than anything else. You're given a short introductory story, and are then asked to tap a series of touch-screen prompts to the beat until finally being rewarded with a scene showing success or failure. No real innovation there, but what really makes it work is the same thing that makes Parappa work: You genuinely care about the characters.

It's a subtle thing that's in no way tied to the music game genre, but somehow - perhaps because of the art style and sense of humor that each of these stories contains - it's really easy to identify with these absurd one-dimensional characters that are put into absurd situations. There's a definite sense of accomplishment that comes with completing each mission and knowing that you've, say, helped a car manufacturer's son use his innate Ninja skills to retrieve their company's stolen prototype plans from their competitor. It's the situations that make it interesting, the music that makes it emotional, and the resolutions that make it satisfying.

Overall it's a very impressive game and I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Lost Planet
Xbox 360

Taken by a certain set of standards, Lost Planet is not a very good game at all. In the sentences just above I talk about how Elite Beat Agents works well specifically because it has characters that you care about. Lost Planet doesn't have this at all. Its story takes place on a snow-covered alien planet populated by hostile bug-like creatures. On this planet there are two factions: On the evil side there is a group of well-funded researchers who want to terraform the planet to rid it of the giant bug creatures and collect the innate energy these creatures leave behind. These people will lie and steal and kill whoever gets in their way as long as it means harvesting that precious energy. You can tell that they're bad mostly because they have large chins and evil facial hair.

Then there's the good guys. The good guys are also researchers who want to terraform the planet to rid it of the giant bug creatures, but they don't particularly seem to care about collecting the energy left behind and, other than killing pretty much anyone around them that seems hostile, they're really a swell bunch. They have nice, straight hair, kind eyes, and their women have extremely large breasts, so they're obviously not bad people. I wonder if anyone at Capcom ever realized that the only people who weren't mostly-evil were the giant killer bugs who were only trying to defend their planet from outsiders?

Despite the faults of its story and characterization, Lost Planet remains a great game that sits among the best that this generation currently has to offer. The snow effects, smoke effects, and general graphic fidelity are absolutely phenomenal, and the straightforward, level-based structure of the game is a refreshing throwback to - well, when games were straightforward and level-based I suppose.

I feel like a chump for recommending a game based almost purely on graphics, but in the case of Lost Planet everything is so enormous and beautiful that you're compelled to keep playing just to see what enormously gross bug you'll encounter next. In that respect it doesn't disappoint at all. Fighting giant bugs that have blatant weak-points and limbs that can be totally blown from their bodies is just so cool, and doing so from within a giant transforming robot makes it that much more bad-ass. Every time you run into a new boss or another, bigger version of a monster you fought several stages prior it's quite the rush.

The only real issue I have with the in-game action happens to be an unfortunate by-product of the story itself. The stages tend to alternate between fighting giant bugs and fighting the evil power-hungry faction of people. The people-fighting stages aren't so bad, but in comparison to a level where you're taking on a worm the size of a large office building they're a bit lack-luster. They're really only worth completing because it means you might fight more bugs in the next stage. Thankfully the game rarely disappoints in this regard, so it kinda works out.

Anyone who decides to pick up Lost Planet should probably know ahead of time that they'll need to do some tweaking before actually playing the game. For reasons that no-doubt fall under "Hi, I'm from Japan," the developers chose a pretty wonky default control scheme that thankfully can be fixed in the options screen. Before starting up the game be sure to select a sensitivity setting of Fixed 7 (or Fixed Cool and change your button config to type B, which feels much more natural.

And that's it! Writing these came off as more reviewey than I'd hoped. Hopefully as I do more of these I'll figure out exactly what I want them to be and actually do whatever that is, but for now this is what I got. Let me know what you think!

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I like that you're doing this. I like seeing your thoughts about games as they happen, rather than thrown into a discussion at the length of one or two sentences.

I do think your opinion of Elite Beat Agents' music is misguided. Almost every song is a terrible song to begin with. I mean, these songs are really, really bad, and that certainly isn't exclusive to Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson, whose songs you seem to single out merely on the principle that they are well-known, recent talentless ass-clowns. Honestly, you can't tell me that "Lala" is any worse than "You're the Inspiration." But that's the point, I think. The absurdity of the song selections falls in synch with the rest of the game, and really works. It's a contrived game, but contrived thoughtfully, which is where it succeeds.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, that Lost Planet review is the most superficial thing I've read all day, and perhaps in a long time.

As a counterpoint, I didn't have to change the control scheme (too much), and the graphics had very little to do with why I kept playing the game. To say that the game doesn't look amazing would be a lie, but the games challenge and gameplay were what kept me coming back.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wes, that Lost Planet review is the most superficial thing I've read all day, and perhaps in a long time.

Then I must have gotten across my point. It's the most superficial game I've played in a long time!

Anyways, what is it that bothered you about it? And why are you punishing yourself by playing with the default controls?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Then I must have gotten across my point. It's the most superficial game I've played in a long time!

Anyways, what is it that bothered you about it? And why are you punishing yourself by playing with the default controls?

The game is only superficial in its story, everything else is really solid.

The only thing I changed was that I inverted the vertical look and turned the speed sensitivity up. There is nothing wrong with the default layout for the buttons.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
The game is only superficial in its story, everything else is really solid.

So I'm confused. Did you miss this line?

SuperWes wrote:
Despite the faults of its story and characterization, Lost Planet remains a great game that sits among the best that this generation currently has to offer.

Shapermc wrote:
The only thing I changed was that I inverted the vertical look and turned the speed sensitivity up. There is nothing wrong with the default layout for the buttons.

I think you're the only person I know who feels this way. Look at this:
Ethoscapade wrote:
the controls are really not fluid at all.

Moogs wrote:
So I picked this up today. When I started playing I became very angry. I backed out of the game and went into the options menu. I changed the aiming to "fixed."

Now I am enjoying this very much.

DaleNixon wrote:
Waffen use Fixed 8.

BotageL wrote:
Waffen: Aim type Fixed 7/8, Control Scheme B. That puts reload on RB, zoom on LB, and click/hold right stick and push in direction to quickturn. It works much much better.

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to get accustomed to the default controls, but if you can play the game without that hurdle it's much easier to enjoy it right away.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! I beat Rainbow Six: Vegas last night so here's my writeup!

Rainbow Six: Vegas
Xbox 360

I am surprised at how much I liked Rainbow Six: Vegas. My prior experiences with the series were not very pleasant. I tried the first one on PC on its initial release and was never quite able to grasp the concept of fully planning out an assault ahead of time. I later tried a bit of the Xbox version of number 3, and although it removed the tactical planning hurdle and played about as well as a First Person Shooter can, the learning curve for people who don't understand a thing about FPS tactics was so steep that I never made it past the first stage. It's for these reasons that I initially dismissed Rainbow Six: Vegas outright. When the demo popped up in the Official Xbox Magazine I decided to give it another shot. It was so impressive that I went ahead and bought the full game. I'm glad I did since Vegas turned out to be one of my favorite games in recent years.

My initial paragraph could have been about how tightly implemented the game's cover system is or how cool it is that you have to balance shooting bad guys yourself with positioning your squad members in the most effective places, but I chose to talk about how I became interested in the game because I'm not sure if it says more about how great the game is or how drastically my taste in games has changed in recent years.

Rainbow Six: Vegas is probably just as difficult as Rainbow Six 3 was. In truth I probably died at least once in every single area of the game, with my average death toll landing at about 5 times per area. Despite my difficulties, something about the game made me carry on. To say it was the story would be giving the story way too much credit. It was certainly better than I expected, but I wouldn't go out and buy the novel any time soon. To say it was the graphics would be giving the graphics far too much credit. They were certainly good, but once you've seen one enemy terrorist you've seen them all. In the end I really think it was two things.

This goes along with the mixture of FPS action and tactical strategy I mentioned above, but I really enjoyed the way the game balances dexterous challenges with mental ones. In most of the places that I found myself having trouble it was usually because I was getting overconfident and starting to take on too much myself. In these instances using my teammate's fire to keep the enemy under cover while I got into a better position was much more gratifying than just playing over and over again until I happened to get off a lucky shots. In fact, the game's biggest low points are the few instances where the story dictates that you go it alone. It doesn't happen often, but when it does you learn to appreciate your team that much more.

As terrific as the gameplay balance was, the detail and believability of the environments was probably even more impressive. The "Vegas" part of the title isn't just blown off, and the game sincerely feels like it's modeled after the real world city of sin. You spend maybe 10% of the game in casinos themselves, and although these moments are probably the best in the game, it's seeing the parts of the casinos that you never really think of as existing that's so intriguing. The areas that stick out most in my head are the streets in front of the casino, the offices that keep the casino running, the rafters above an in-construction casino, and a casino arcade. Areas like these make the world feel more real than just flashy lights and loud slot machines, and hiding behind the varied items they bring with them is much more interesting than hugging up to a wall.

This could potentially be seen as a spoiler, but I have a feeling nobody who reads this is going to rush out and play the game, so I'm probably safe. At the conclusion of Rainbow Six: Vegas you're given the resolution you wanted throughout the game, but are left with just as many unanswered questions. Normally this would piss me off, but because the Vegas setting was so much fun and felt so real, I'm actually glad I'll be getting the chance to go back. If that's not the mark of a great game I don't know what is.

Up next? Hit PS3 game Resistance: Fall of Man. Stay tuned!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Do List:

Resistance: Fall of Man
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Wii Play
Crackdown
Maybe Zelda (UPDATE: Not in 2007. According to forum history I finished it on Dec. 22nd)
flOw
Almost beat Bullet Witch

I'm really slacking behind on this, but I don't want to forget anything I've completed, so I'll at least list stuff here!

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated To Do List:

Resistance: Fall of Man
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Wii Play
Crackdown
flOw
God of War 2
Bullet Witch

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat more games!

Pokemon: Pearl
Castlevania: SOTN on XBL (non-inverted castle)
The Darkness
Castlevania: Portait of Ruin (bad ending)

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I can add Heavenly Sword, Portal, and Guitar Hero 3 to this list.

Last night I played Eye of Judgement online. I don't generally like online games and that goes doubly for turn-based ones, but for some reason this one is fucking awesome. There's a lot of really interesting strategy that changes completely dependant on the type of deck you've got. Being online means the game chooses your cards for you, but this keeps everyone honest and surprisingly doesn't hurt the strategy whatsoever. If it didn't mean fully admitting to being the biggest geek alive I could see myself really, really getting into it, as it stands I'm not sure I have enough time to go dork full-time.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Uncharted last night, played it all day today and beat it tonight (on Hard). Holy Crap is that game good. I can say without hesitation that it's the best single player action game I've played since Resident Evil 4. It's a modern day Indiana Jones that mixes the jumping around amazing setpieces of Ico with the finely tuned gunplay of Gears of War. Everything from the script, to the acting, to the level design, to the pacing is extremely well thought-out and amazingly executed.

I only have one complaint and it's a minor one. I won't share it though as it's sort of a spoiler.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Phoenix Wright 3 last night at like 4:00 AM. Pretty great! It's probably the best in the series overall, but I think my favorite case of all is still the final case from Phoenix Wright 2. I feel like 3 had very few surprises, but I guess that's how things always go with trilogy conclusions.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat Silent Hill 4 the other week, and Ratchet and Clank 3 as well . . .

Anyways, thought I'd drop in and say hello again after being gone for about 6 months.

Sorry.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat Naruto: Path of a Ninja for the Xbox 360. It was pretty great! (If you're a Naruto fan.)

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I got Uncharted last night, played it all day today and beat it tonight (on Hard). Holy Crap is that game good.

-Wes

Yes! I just beat the other day and absolutely loved it. Some portions of the path were a bit tricky to spot and it's weird how friendlies don't die, but I also appreciate the latter because I would go insane considering how many grenades the pirates have. But I'm going to definitely play through it again. The gun-play is just fantastic.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention it when it happened, but over Easter I beat Castlevania on the PSP. Pretty great! I've unlocked the other games, but I'm pretty sure I won't take the time to play them through for a while (if ever). It's a shame, but according to the above I played through 3 Castlevania games this year and I need a break!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat another game!

This time it was Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. It was surprisingly good! Kinda felt like a really good experimental indie Japanese game but with a few extra bucks and a few high-profile characters thrown in for the extra sales. But then, I guess that's pretty much what it was! Still, it was good!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My year of listing completed games is over, with one new addition that can be added as of this morning. That new edition is Earth Defense Force for the Xbox 360, which I beat this afternoon with my friend Andrew from Indianapolis. What's significant about this is that after the mid-way point I pretty much only played the game when he was in town. I'm glad we beat it together!

For the next year I'm going to try listing all of the games I buy along with the ones I beat. The list could get pretty big!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I got Uncharted last night... Holy Crap is that game good.

Lies
Quote:
with the finely tuned gunplay of Gears of War.

Lies!!!!
The gunplay in this game is AWFUL. You're crazy.

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently playing LOZ: Phantom Hourglass and Kingdom Hearts 2 in my spare time . . . btw Wes, what games did you get/buy during the holidays this year?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaper, did you like tears of war?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
I got Uncharted last night... Holy Crap is that game good.

Lies
Quote:
with the finely tuned gunplay of Gears of War.

Lies!!!!
The gunplay in this game is AWFUL. You're crazy.

Matt, I'm sorry, but majority wins. You're the first person I know of who's complained about the "gunplay" (more specifically, your only problem is that there's not enough aim-assistance?). I have no explanation for why you'd think this except to say that maybe you've been playing too many PC games lately and you need a mouse and keyboard for a game to feel precise? Seriously. Play Gears of War and Uncharted back-to-back and I don't think you'll see much of a difference.

As for Ryan, man, I got too many games to list. Bascially I got anything I've been even somewhat interested in, and I'm sort of disappointed because usually that means I find some sort of diamond in the rough, but this year the closest thing I got to that was FFXII: Revenant Wings. Not a bad game, but not something I couldn't have lived without.

I'm sort of surprised to hear that you're playing Kingdom Hearts 2. I watched Christina play it -- err, watch it -- for 15 minutes and it was enough to talk me out of it. Too many bullshit cutscenes.

Also: I beat another game! This time it was Chibi Robo: Park Patrol. I liked it a lot! It's kind of a strategy version of the original Chibi-Robo. I want to liken it to something like Pikmin, but it's really different from even that. I'm starting to think that Skip might be one of my favorite developers. They did most of the bit Generations series, and now this? Too bad Giftpia never got released over here. I've got the Japanese version, but it's too wordy for me to play. Bah.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
shaper, did you like tears of war?

Gears of war was excellent with really good gun play.

boojiboy7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much with shaper on Uncharted. Keep in mind that I actually really like the game, but the cover system and the navigation between cover was just a little sloppy. Having to use to horrible ps3 analog sticks to aim only exacerbated things.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey booj in my maniac mansion article i said it has a great sense of internal logic just like you told me to

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no more cutscenes than there were in the first Kingdom Hearts game. The reason they do that is to give everybody facetime so that you can say so and so Disney character is in there, along with the Square Characters. I don't mind. Not like you're watching a 30 minute long Xenosaga cutscene, right?

And I think I want that Chibi Robo game for the Gamecube now! Thank god the Wii can play GC games too.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
hey booj in my maniac mansion article i said it has a great sense of internal logic just like you told me to

Great Job!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boojiboy7 wrote:
I am pretty much with shaper on Uncharted. Keep in mind that I actually really like the game, but the cover system and the navigation between cover was just a little sloppy. Having to use to horrible ps3 analog sticks to aim only exacerbated things.

See, that's the thing: he said he didn't have a problem with the cover system. His only complaint is that he can't aim at the enemies. I guess that has to do with the terrible PS controller analog sticks? Meh. His loss.

And Ryan, Kingdom Hearts 2 might not be worse than the first one, but I'm at a point where cutscenes that overstay their welcome and don't add to the game make me frustrated. Sure, they might be doing it to make sure that all 700 characters get face time, but I'd rather play a game that doesn't waste my time focusing on useless characters when they should be making sure that every cutscene exists to put context to your actions and progress the game forward.

You should definately get Chibi-Robo for the GC. It's a bit slow in the beginning, but quickly turns into something great!

Also, my 360 broke again Sad

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
boojiboy7 wrote:

See, that's the thing: he said he didn't have a problem with the cover system. His only complaint is that he can't aim at the enemies. I guess that has to do with the terrible PS controller analog sticks? Meh. His loss.

I consider the sloppy cover system and such to be a part of "gunplay" as a whole. Aiming with the PS3 sticks sucks, as well, but I don't count that against the game as much as I do against the stupid PS3 controller.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's been a long time since I've beaten a game, eh? There are several reasons for this. First off, my Xbox 360 Elite broke for the second time. This time the problem was that games were locking up whenever they got to a complicated section. It's hard to explain, but basically 2 grenades going off at the same time would lock up something like Call of Duty 4 and simply playing Assassin's Creed would lock it up. Shortly after this happened I was playing Dewey's Adventure and my Wii started giving me "turn off the system and take out the disc" errors, so I was forced to send it back as well.

This left me with just the PS3, which is good because it gave me time to play Pixel Junk Monsters and start working on my own games!

I've been pretty good about making instead of playing, but with the GDC this week, I had plenty of travel time to play portables, and as a result, I can add one more game to the completion list: Professor Layton and the Curious Villiage.

I loved it, but I'm not sure I can handle three of these games in the span of 3 years (which has been the Japanese release schedule). It's clear that the goal was just to slap a graphic adventure on top of a bunch of quick brain teasers, and it works for some reason, but I can't shake the feeling that somehow more deeply incorporating them with the story of the game would make everything that much more rewarding.

For the record, my final clock time was around 11 hours with 116 of 120 puzzles solved.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I beat 3 games!

First was Picross DS, which I loved. The final set of puzzles were grand, and even though I spent entirely too much time with it I'm sort of sad that it's over.

The second was Sam & Max Season 1: Episode 1: Culture Shock. I picked up the first Season at wondercon last weekend and spent part of today playing through the first episode. I'm not sure if I like it well enough to continue on or not. I liked it when the puzzle solutions were mostly obvious, and even when I felt like they weren't that obvious but were decently clever, but the endgame section just sort of blew it for me. I had to look up a FAQ and I still have no idea how I would have figured it out. There was no visual clue that I was doing the right thing at all. I'll probably at least begin the second episode, but I'm going to let it sit for at least a week before doing that.

The third game was Mighty Jill Off, which I finished in 13:4 seconds and really enjoyed! I always liked Mighty Bomb Jack, but I'm a bigger fan of scrolling platformers than I am single-screen platformers, so this was a really nice treat. If I had bought this on Ebay, the feedback would be "A++ would play again." Nice work dess!

Phoenix Wright 4 is in my DS right now and I'm a little scared to turn it on for fear of it taking over my life for the fourth time in a little over two years. Wish me luck!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished another game last night! This time it was Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law.

Uhh... it's pretty much total bullshit. Harvey Birdman is basically a set of 5 episodes of the Harvey Birdman show where rather than just sitting back and watching for your entertainment you're forced to work for it using a Phoenix Wright-style interface that's completely devoid of all Phoenix Wright-style understanding of player psychology. It's the perfect example of why games should be made from the game out instead of from the story in. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your stance), it's also a good example of how well-written and acted dialog can save a game that is otherwise worthless. I did laugh out loud several times during the game and, for a change, my wife didn't mind watching me play it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I aso don't regret the short amount of time I spent with it and I guess that's something.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you were so scared of Pheonix Wright being fun that you played through its lesser clone instead?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
So you were so scared of Pheonix Wright being fun that you played through its lesser clone instead?

Nope! I played through most of Birdman when it first came out and finished it up out of a desire to play a current-gen game on my TV that didn't require a commitment of time, energy, or brainpower. You'd be surprised how few of these I seem to have!

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't finish a game this time. I'm currently playing Smash Bros and Apollo Justice, swapping the later out for Shiren occasionally. The reason I'm posting is to mention that I got a new laptop. I'm pumped! It's a cheapy $600 widescreen Compaq, but it's a Dual Core 1.9 ghz with 2 gigs of ram. I'm pretty happy with it so far! I'm planning on using it to work on games and stuff. Just wanted to mention it!

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I finished Apollo Justice. That is all.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo! Long time no see Wes. I'll be heading back to the USA in no time now! But until then, I'm still gaming over here in Japan. I recently bought 太鼓の達人DS (not sure if the Japanese will show up here, but it's the Taiko game for the DS). It is a lot of fun to play and even came with two special Taiko stylus. I've been playing that, FF Ring of Fates, and continuing to play Pokemon Pearl as well (I'm up to 487 pokemon now).

I'm also making headway on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and playing through FFVIII again (working my way up to FFXII). Lots of fun to see that franchise evolve over the years.

I'll probably be bugging you the closer I get to coming home about a possible car trip to visit you for a weekend in St. Louis if that's still cool with you!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core on the plane to the British Virgin Islands. Wow! The ending was superb. Probably the best ending I've seen in any game in years. It's emotional as hell, and it messes with the game's established design in order to bring dramatic impact to the events that are happening. It's not just cutscenes!

So yes, Crisis Core is my GOTY 2008 thus far. Pretty fucked up!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackmania is GOTY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: