The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the i am proud of a videogame accomplishment thread.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: the i am proud of a videogame accomplishment thread. Reply with quote

yeah, i pretty much started this topic just so i could be proud of this:

for those who've never been there, stage 16 looks like this.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently 1 lifed Lords of Thunder!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat all three Gobliiins games without ever resorting to a walkthrough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I recently 1 lifed Lords of Thunder!

i need to send you gate of thunder. i have yet to make it past stage 6, the dark city.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i need to send you gate of thunder.
Damn skippy you do. And a few others. I need to send you that list.

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very few moments I am truly proud of in my video gaming history. However, I was able to consistently one credit RayCrisis and Einhander on at least normal mode without much trouble. Today, it is not the same case. The last thing I can remember being happy about is gaining the reflexes of Hotsuma himself and showing PS2's Shinobi who is boss. Eventually the game became easy to me, and I broke records and grades constantly. That was about a year ago. That's all for my gaming acomplishments though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished playing through the entirety of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade graphic adventure without saving once, or dying, for that matter, while escaping Castle Brunwald with Henry, without getting captured and talking my way through the blockades towards the end, something I never really tried in the past because I usually had the pass.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second two were in one day. I know it's an easy game, but I managed to knock my (100%) playtime down to about four hours. Nowhere near the record, but it's enough to impress people who suck.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glowing effect on that photo is pretty great.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the light of courage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In DROD, you can upload the number of moves it takes to beat a room and be included in a ranking system. I haven't played for a while, so I've fallen out of the top 40, but I still have 18 high scores. Here are the two I'm most proud of:

King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0: 19L 2S

Pelcho's Puzzles: 1L 1S2E:

My statistics.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
In DROD, you can upload the number of moves it takes to beat a room and be included in a ranking system. I haven't played for a while, so I've fallen out of the top 40, but I still have 18 high scores.

that is nice. i still have yet to pass level 14 of the rooted hold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have yet to buy rooted hold Sad

I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. I'm worried that later on the puzzles will turn into the super-elaborate precision-required 1000-step hell that so many puzzle games of this type turn into. Those puzzles simply aren't fun to solve for me. I like exploring and experimentation; the story and character interaction aspects are also a plus.

Dessgeega and Tablesaw: tell me more? Please?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. I'm worried that later on the puzzles will turn into the super-elaborate precision-required 1000-step hell that so many puzzle games of this type turn into.

yeah, they kind of do. rooted hold is a lot better about this than the original (now referred to as "king dugan's dungeons"). unlike that game, rooted hold actually has a decent difficulty curve, as elements are introduced one at a time, and then you're given a whole floor to learn everything you'll need to know about them.

there are also those "x" tiles that let you save your position in a room/puzzle, so you don't need to start the whole thing over when you die. in its original release, king dugan's didn't have those either. and yikes.

there are some brilliant setpieces in rooted hold, usually involving the slayer. it makes me want to finish the game and see everything that happens, but i'm a bit overwhelmed on level 14 (i think that's the floor) by the introduction of the living tar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
The glowing effect on that photo is pretty great.

it is.

I never realized how uncool Link looks in his final set of equipment there. Is this the price he must pay for POWER?
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
I still have yet to buy rooted hold :(

I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. I'm worried that later on the puzzles will turn into the super-elaborate precision-required 1000-step hell that so many puzzle games of this type turn into. Those puzzles simply aren't fun to solve for me. I like exploring and experimentation; the story and character interaction aspects are also a plus.

Dessgeega and Tablesaw: tell me more? Please?

Incredible precision usually isn't necessary unless you want to really work for a low move-count. Otherwise, most mistakes can be corrected by using the backspace key to take back one move.

Personally, I think that a person should approach a game like this with the expectation that you'll get stuck and the willingness to leave it a lone for a while until the answer comes. Still, the website has a very good section on hints, which lets you look for tips and strategies for any room that really stumps you.

The most difficult rooms in JTRH are "secret" rooms, which aren't required to beat the game. The real super-elaborate, precision-requiring rooms are in other downloadable holds.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to accept that I'll get stuck. I like challenges; it's fun to think over things in my head. I just like having some leeway with gameplay. I think the designers acknowledged that; the slayer's wisp can be shaken from time to time, there's undos and restarts, save points and your nephew.

It's just something that the users haven't really acknowledged as much. So, downloading some of the user holds, I'm kind of.... not feeling it. Everyone wants to create a super-hard puzzle with to-the-move precision.

I'm down to the bomb puzzles on Great Uncle Yurgess's hold, and that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

But hearing that the commercial holds are different in that respect is certainly an encouraging thought.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearing story mode of advance guardian heroes is an accomplishment that i am proud of.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything I've done in games that I'm particuarly proud of.

I can one-life Metal Slug 2 up to the subway section of level 5. I guess that is reasonably impressive, but just doesn't feel like an accomplishment... I mean, after that, I still crumble to pieces like the next player.

Everything I've done in games has already been done much better by a whole load of other people, and I know this, so I don't think of it as being very special. I once held the record (on some rankings website or other) for the Advance Wars normal campaign mode score, at about 980 points, but the guys I displaced from the top just got 999s and took their places back within a month or two. And that was just some small website somewhere, nothing "official".
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

official schmofficial! anything score-related that you can do can be outdone by a bunch of other people. it's an accomplishment when you're proud that you can do it.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I can one-life Metal Slug 2 up to the subway section of level 5. I guess that is reasonably impressive, but just doesn't feel like an accomplishment... I mean, after that, I still crumble to pieces like the next player..

I use to be able to get to Mordien in Metal Slug 1 on one credit. The fewest credits I ever beat it on was three though. I don't remember what level it was, but I think it was 3 or 4, where those demon/monster things start coming out of the subway in Metal Slug 2, I could get up to that in one credit. Then I would lose the laser gun and die from those hundreds of enemies that just pour in. I could make it to the boss in level 2 of Metal Slug 3 in one credit. I have MS4&5 for the PS2... I only played 5 once in the arcade and I was not too fond of it. Honestly I think that MS3 broke me on the ability to enjoy the game.

I might as well mention some of my shooter related accomplishments that I am proud of.

I could get to the Psychic Barrier (mid-boss of the last level) in ESP Ra.De. with one credit.
I beat Armed Police Batrider with one credit. Honestly this was the most exhilarating accomplishment I have ever completed in videogames.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was pretty proud the first time i got the elephant through the ice cave successfully.

Shapermc wrote:
I beat Armed Police Batrider with one credit. Honestly this was the most exhilarating accomplishment I have ever completed in videogames.

which boss did you get? red, yellow, or green? and how many stages did you play?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and friends did THPS2, I can't remember whether we ever got all the gaps or not but we were damn close.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

which boss did you get? red, yellow, or green? and how many stages did you play?

I had to look back to my old Gaming Journal to see (Which also scored me a funny look back at SH2). Anyways, here is a recount of the play:

Me wrote:
Well I finally did it. Not my top score mind you, but nonetheless I did it. Last night around... I dunno like 9pm central time? Something like that.

So I was playing a few rounds on and off between chatting at #shmups and not really expecting too much. For some reason I have been having a hard time even hitting the first extend in APB consecutively lately.

So I get to level 4 and I still have all 3 lives and just hit around 1.45 mil and decide that this is as good a time as any to loose a little rank if I am not going to be able to avoid the extra life. So I suicide... then when I spawn back I pick up my powerups and mis-judge the timing of my invincibility. So a suicide turns into a stupid death, so there are 2 lives down and only 1.48 mil. I thought that I might not get the extend again.

Well I decide to not get the powerups because the screen was filling with enemies at this point and narrowing my movement options. Well, it was a good thing that I was in the Airport. That is one of the few bosses that I don't really need Strawman's option shot. So with only having picked up one option and no shot powerups I go into the end of the airport and then He gets released from his airplane holding tank… Bazzcok!

Heh, anyways he had one laser and one of the blue spread shot guns (I hate when he has 2 lasers). So his first form was easy. Then his second form was easy too, I found that the closer you are to him when he has his spread shot the less time it has to spread so the less you have to move. I forgot how many items and medals you can get out of those little planes he spits out.

First extend reached.

I go into the Highway level pretty much maxed out, and then preceded to focus on survival. I missed all medals and most of the powerups. I avoid the hover-tank so that he pops up at the end of the “tunnel area” on the highway. Bomb, when he shows back up.

Second Extend reached.

Not by score, but the hover-tank, just so that is clear. So I have a full life stock, 2.5 bombs and am maxed out on shot and option. Then Sobut...

I knew at this point all I had to do was play it safe and I had the game no problem. I knew all the Sobut patterns, but I had forgotten the order of them all. So, I set up the tactic in my head – this only took a brief moment mind you – “Just bomb between each pattern change”

Well it worked, much quicker than expected too. Like Mode said last night “Big, Green pushover.”

Well this is my first ”Modern” vert shooter one credit. This has been my goal (not APB 1-Credit, vert 1-credit) for about 8 months now. I am proud of myself. I even had a beer last night. I haven’t drunk anything in about 3 weeks. It was strange…

Well next is score progression. I think at the end of the clear I only had around 2.8 mil. Wednesday, September 17, 2003 – Thursday, October 09, 2003. 3 weeks and 1 day, not bad amount of time to get the one credit clear.

I should make some comments on this. I was only using Strawman [c]. Sobut is green. It was normal course clear which is... what? the 6 level clear? Screw advanced mode. The 8 month comment is about from the point that I aimed to get a one credit clear in a vert shooter til when I got it and the second date is from when I got the game until the clear time. This was aparentyl much longer ago than I thought it was.

EDIT: Just pulled this DonPachi high score out of hell. ShaperMC - 4.664.300 - 1-4 - Max Hit 45 – Type C
I was pretty proud of it once.

Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat Cave Story's Hell run for the first time last week. I think my time was something like 12 minutes using only the Snake and the (one gun that weakens considerably after leveling up, you get it from Mr. Little).

I was pretty proud considering I'd never finished it before and, on top of that, beating it with a keyboard on a Mac! It made me happy the rest of the day.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, I just found this out:

Quote:
Batrider starts at MAXIMUM initial rank. So to play Batrider seriously, you have to let the attract mode lop for a few hours to drop the rank down.

I always turn my cab off when I am not playing, and turn it back on to start a new game. So effectivly that run of ApB was starting at maximum rank. Hell in a hand bastket.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i just one-lifed the first stage of the speed rumbler (aka rush 'n crash) for the first time (i think). not a very exciting accomplishment, but i'm proud of it. the awesomeness of that game isn't spoken of enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I one-lifed the arcade version Mercs one time. I've also one-credited KoF: Maximum Impact on normal without looking at the screen and I can get through about half of Aero Fighters 3 in one credit (I'll do the whole thing in one credit eventually).

A friend of mine and I played through Katamari Damacy for the first time and beat it in four days. We would've played without breaks but we had to go to school.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to beat Bust-A-Move (the rhythm and dance game) without seeing the commands. Against people too.

I could sort of do it in the sequel too.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won the Bundesliga 5 years in a row (2012-2017) plus 3 Champion's League titles with Fortuna Dusseldorf, as well as winning the European Cup in 2016 as the coach of Germany in Football Manager 2005.

Which is pretty good considering that Dusseldorf starts out in the German 3rd Division.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I used to be able to beat Bust-A-Move (the rhythm and dance game) without seeing the commands. Against people too.

I could sort of do it in the sequel too.

Well the most "powerful" dance moves you could only get to by using moves that are not seen on the screen anyways, so this makes sense.

Also, I use to kick ass at Bust a Move too. Never really got into the sequel though.

Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once took the time to go all the way through Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels no warp, going through the secret levels and everything. That was a pretty big accomplishment for me as a kid.

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
I once took the time to go all the way through Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels no warp, going through the secret levels and everything. That was a pretty big accomplishment for me as a kid.

did you get the patch? i was very proud of it when i was little.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Mr. Apol wrote:

did you get the patch? i was very proud of it when i was little.

No. I didn't take a picture. But... after doing all that just the knowledge that I HAD was enough for me.

I DO however have one of the hats they gave out at those SUPER NINTENDO POWER COMPETITION deals. It was the year they had Ken Griffey, Super Mario Super Stars and some other games.

I need to find that hat now that I think about it.

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one of those Tetris Attack hats that Blockbuster was giving away back in the day. I should find that.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 1cced twinkle star sprites three times tonight, two on la petite princesse and one on the neo geo version. then i one-lifed to stage 4 of elevator action returns, which i might have done before? well, now it's official. then i played mizubaku adventure and felt upset about how much the pc-engine version costs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was totally going to mention my 34,137,037 score on Gunroar (twin stick mode) which was for quite a while the highest recorded score in the english-speaking world. But now it looks like someone's more than doubled it. Hmph.
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my videogame glory was long ago.

I used to be able to play Defender, Zaxxon, Commando, Donkey Kong, and Gyruss indefinitely on Colecovision. (C64 for Commando)

Montezuma's Revenge was the pinnacle of memorized-twitch madness.
I could endlessly run through the game in pitch black.

Actually, back in the day I had a LOT of games memorized so I could "robo" them.

Now I just play "game the system" with rpgs.

(Well, I play CS:S but I'm permanently at the leetnoob level.)

Time for something new.
(Still haven't got started with DF)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaperMC's Metal Slug 1 accomplishments are mine exactly. 3 Credits! I was pleased! It's the only game of its type that I've really put the time into. Mame32 says I have started the game up 84 times which seems like a ridiculous amount.

I was quite pleased to get in Starfox 64, but I seem to have reached a plateau with that game now.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing an original Atari 2600 game. (In Assembly, now that Basic is Kind of an option)
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I won the Bundesliga 5 years in a row (2012-2017) plus 3 Champion's League titles with Fortuna Dusseldorf, as well as winning the European Cup in 2016 as the coach of Germany in Football Manager 2005.

Which is pretty good considering that Dusseldorf starts out in the German 3rd Division.

Since expanded to 16 Bundesliga titles in a row and 9 Champions League titles for Dusseldorf and 2 World Cups for Germany. It's not really not that more impressive than the above achievements because once you get a club to the top level, it's like playing a regular game with all available powerups, you can just cruise along.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i managed to beat 'ouendan''s final level after one year's worth of attempts 2 days ago..

that was quite an accomplishment.

here is someone else's super play of it as a demonstration..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAe3yMV5iLc

its murder on the arms! especially those spinning parts!

one thing i've noticed though is that the rest of the game seems to have become slower. kind of like if everything went all bullet time on me.

i can no longer enjoy elite beat agents because of that.

[edit]

higher quality one

and some fun
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just beat the original Panzer Dragoon the other day on hard. I've had that game for years without ever beating it. It felt good n proud.

Also finished Zwei with the Solo Wing, getting the "true" ending. (which for some reason is not as cool as the normal one)

Getting all of the 2nd Quest items (TA!) in SotC is an accomplishment that felt pretty solid...as well as all of the glitches I've found in the game.

I can one-life the NES version of Paperboy. This isn't really that hard, still most everyone I know in "real" "life" can't do it.

Always feels good getting the good ending in Bubble Bobble (arcade and NES).
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting Silent Assassin on Hitman levels (especially on Professional, where you get approximately 0 help) is extremely satisfying, and extremely difficult. I got it for most of the levels in Contracts (unfortunately, not all).

Otherwise, I just don't think I play too many games which lend themselves to highscores and points like that Mad. Methinks it's time to visit my local arcade a wee bit more.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ShaperMC's Metal Slug 1 accomplishments are mine exactly. 3 Credits! I was pleased! It's the only game of its type that I've really put the time into. Mame32 says I have started the game up 84 times which seems like a ridiculous amount.
I can do it in four.

Once the PS2 version of Anthology comes out I'm gonna do it in one!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that I've kind of been milking that joustpong thing to death... in terms of my history as a gameplayer, I think once I made it to the top of Spike's Peak for the 2600, a devilishly hard game... great condor noise though.... then years later I made it all the way through the original Mega Man, way before they had passwords.... I was so convinced that game was going to kick my as but I just buckled down and beat it. I may have used the pause trick with the elecbeam, not sore where I learned about that, but still....
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I failed Bark at the Moon on Expert with literally one note left to play. I finally beat it today. Woo!

I think it helped that my wrists have finally recovered. My old playing style gave me a repetitive strain injury. It could have been really bad if I hadn't laid off for a while.

Can this also be the I am ashamed of a videogame non-accomplishment thread? Because I am ashamed that I have never finished Cave Story.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try setting smaller goals you can work up to! like, say, on monday you finish glasses, on tuesday you finish ikachan, and on wednesday you finish cave story!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night at 3:00 in the morning, after my friends went home and my family went to sleep I finally beat Silent Debuggers. In the last level you are locked in a tiny area surrounded by invisible monsters. I'm not sure if I imagined it. The end sequence was long and strange, introduced new characters, and set the story up for a sequel. It was really special to revisit something from my childhood and uncover more than I even knew was there. I appreciate the game a lot more than I did.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading up on it, Silent Debuggers sounds pretty brilliant. A shame there doesn't seem to be any functional TurboGrafX-16 emulators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: