The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SO I'm playing Disgaea now . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: SO I'm playing Disgaea now . . . Reply with quote

Playing? More like addicted. I play it from as soon as I get home from work until I go to bed (except for when I get dinner). I haven't played a game this engrossing in a long time, but how much time do I have ahead of myself playing this game? I'm about 8 hours into it, level 11 with Laharl . . . but looking at the guidebook that came with it I saw a Screenshot that said Final Episode with only 38 hours clocked in! Please tell me this game is more massive then that . . . I was hoping for a 100 hour+ RPG/SIM. Is the max level 9999? 99999 HP? How long did it take you guys to beat it??? Please tell me I will not be stuck without a game to play in Japan for 5 months if I bet it by the end of February Sad.

And feel free to move this to the general forum if it's too non-videogamey for ya.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the one with all the random dungeons? If so I think you could be playing for a long while.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no max level.

Woah.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, Ryan, I implore you to pick up our fine magazine and read it sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get 100+ hours of gameplay out of a game simply play it over and over again until you've reached your goal.

Also please read the Gamer's Quarter, we would love you for it.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
There is no max level.

Woah.

You just totally blew my mind.

And I did read the last issue in its entirety! But I was a bit selective with past issues and didn't remember that there was something about this game in Issue ... 2 was it?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall if it's ever been out and out said in the magazine, but I think the general consensus is that 80 hours is way too damned long for any video game with a story, and anything longer than 40 hours is usually bloated, wasteful, and likely panders to teenagers who hate their dads.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except in the genre of Tactical RPGs, where the story is typically cut up into small slices between 30-45 minute combat segments. Though they can certainly stretch on, don't get me wrong.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
And I did read the last issue in its entirety! But I was a bit selective with past issues and didn't remember that there was something about this game in Issue ... 2 was it?

Issue 3. But issue 2 is really great as well. You should really read at least the cover story "How Nippon Ichi Saved My Life" to get a good idea about their games.

Anyways, I stopped playing Disgaea after about 20 hours becaue I could see just how deep it was. Too much for me. I love the NIS games and ther art and all that, but it is a bit much for me.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
DonMarco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue #3: How Nippon Ichi Saved My Life - TOLLMASTER - Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom

Where is Tollmaster? Until he shows up, let's all remember this thread.

edit: I was looking up info on the wiki and searching for a thread, so there. In my mind, I posted this first Shaper. Me me me memememe!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're too slow DM!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
I don't recall if it's ever been out and out said in the magazine, but I think the general consensus is that 80 hours is way too damned long for any video game with a story, and anything longer than 40 hours is usually bloated, wasteful, and likely panders to teenagers who hate their dads.

Like Front Mission 3? God .. I must have spent at least 90 hours on both scenarios for that game.

And I'll read that article after my next class.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only game I've spent more than forty hours on and not regretted it was Super Smash Brothers: Melee (and probably Kirby's Adventure, but the game doesn't keep track).
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:

Issue #3: How Nippon Ichi Saved My Life - TOLLMASTER - Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom

Finally read it, and went through the rest of that issue too to read what I didn't last time. Good thread on Nippon Ichi, and it was spot on. I really want to play La Pucelle Tactics and Phantom Brave but I'm afraid it's going to be super rare by the time I go back to the USA in August. I was playing the game the other day and Laharl was saying things that would make him evil. One of those things were "or how about I make a video game will make all the human children lose sleep!"

Haha, classic. Such an addicting game.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
There is no max level.

Woah.

Well, to be completely technical, there is a max level - 9999.

However, you can "reincarnate" your character if you have enough Mana, which sets your character back to level 1, but their base stats will be higher, so by the time your get your level back up to where it was you are much more powerful than before.

It's basically there so that the game doesn't become only a level treadmill; not only are you trying to find the quickest way to level up, but you're also trying to find "the sweet spot" where you're getting the most stats for your time. I typically reincarnated around level 4000, I think, but that was after I had passed a few difficulty increasing bills in the Dark Congress.

If those two paragraphs confused you, don't worry about it! In Nippon Ichi games a lot of stuff is just there; you don't need any of what I just said to beat the game.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on like chapter 8: Reincarnation . . . and my levels are pitiful (30s). I was wondering how they got their levels so freaking high up there. Now I know! I'm going to kick some ass now . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: