The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Konami SNES box art discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Konami SNES box art discussion Reply with quote

I see a stylistic pattern here. Does anyone know exactly who this artist is? Really, that’s some impressive box art, probably the best I’ve seen years.

We don't produce box art with as much energy anymore. This is really the Rembrandt of box art, whoever this guy (or girl, gotta be gender conscious) may be.

Post pictures of any other Konami SNES box-art that you like. I know the same artist also did the box for Sunset Riders though I can't find a suitable image of it online.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on this topic thinking that you'd have the Gradius III box art-- shock! You didn't! It's right up there with these three though.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find out artist info. I'm betting that a lot of the American box art was farmed out to no-names who got minimal pay and no credit. You're right that it's excellent-- much better than the heinous American Capcom box art of the same era.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this?

The only reason I didn't include it was because it doesn't have the same stylistic traits. I'm really just trying to figure who did those particular boxes, as I'm certain it's the same person.

I've always liked the box art on Darius Twin, myself.

Edit: Thanks, Shapes! Now I want to buy an SNES more than ever.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
!
I thought I was the last person in this country to own a SNES... and I got mine in 2001.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
seryogin wrote:
!
I thought I was the last person in this country to own a SNES... and I got mine in 2001.

There are just too many games I want to play again.

I'd really like to write an article about the 8-bit/16-bit Turtles games. I already have a Mega Drive and an NES. Once I make enough money, I'll make sure to buy them again.

Sunset Riders is another game I want to play again. I really loved playing the arcade version; that first level boss, a fat moterfucker, saying "bury me with my money" is one of my favorite gaming moments. On the 8-bit front, I think Turles III: The Manhattan Project is a really underrated game and would like to play it again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a book from the mid-90's about video game/board game package design at the library in Appleton. It has tons of SNES covers, and probably 3/4 of them are attributed to the steady airbrushing hand of Stephen Peringer.

I just found out that was his name. Until now, I thought it was Steve/Steven (googling "Steve Peringer" turns up a post I made in IC before I left for college). Some of his box art is at peringer.com, in the "advertising" section of "illustration."

Also: Mystic quest: http://www.illustrationonline.com/default.asp?cy=129674&ParentCategory=4&DontRedirect=2&CategorySearch=

R-Type: http://www.illustrationonline.com/default.asp?cy=129428&ParentCategory=1&DontRedirect=2&CategorySearch=

Either Logical journey of the Zoombinis or from that "Thinkin' Things" edutainment series: http://www.illustrationonline.com/default.asp?cy=129380&ParentCategory=4&DontRedirect=2&CategorySearch=

Something totally badass that I can't remember, but I know is from a video game of some sort: http://www.illustrationonline.com/default.asp?cy=128330&ParentCategory=1&DontRedirect=2&CategorySearch=
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he's got a website. It's pretty much all standard commercial art, but it's nice. It looks like he did some Mario Kart art too.

Those Konami covers above are pretty awesome. I've got to admit that I miss the time when game box art was totally In your face! The Konami SNES stuff kinda reminds me of those awesome images on the back of Transformer boxes that show every possible character fighting in front of a night sky for some reason.

Here's a site with a bunch of those.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The Konami SNES stuff kinda reminds me of those awesome images on the back of Transformer boxes that show every possible character fighting in front of a night sky for some reason.

...which in turn is an outgrowth of the "World We Live In" style of biology illustration where every creature alive during the Cretaceous Period is spread out across a landscape.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Looks like he's got a website. It's pretty much all standard commercial art, but it's nice. It looks like he did some Mario Kart art too.

Those Konami covers above are pretty awesome. I've got to admit that I miss the time when game box art was totally In your face! The Konami SNES stuff kinda reminds me of those awesome images on the back of Transformer boxes that show every possible character fighting in front of a night sky for some reason.

Here's a site with a bunch of those.

-Wes

Perhaps, a TGQ interview is in order.

I think the greatest thing isn't the in-your-faceness of the cover art, but the pure energy. The sheer amount of things going on in those covers is amazing; there also very threatening and violent. The konami boxes I brought up all seem to have the protagonists completely surrounded by enemies, yet they fight on. It makes you want to buy those games in a way that the bland computer-generated box art of today doesn't.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
R-Type:

I have to admit, I have always disliked that cover art for R-type. I mean you have:

This
This (which is the first one I ever saw)
This
this
and even some not so alien ones

I really don't like the US Super R-type cover art

sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like any of the R-Type cover art. Except Peringer's airbrushed art is competently executed, unlike most of the other covers. He did pretty well given the poorly-designed monstrosity they all had to depict.

edit: I found it! I might buy it after I replace my debit card.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, sergei, I have an extra SNES!

You'll have to see about getting a power adapter and AV cables yourself, and I'm not sure if it works, but I can send it to you if you want!
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Shit, sergei, I have an extra SNES!

You'll have to see about getting a power adapter and AV cables yourself, and I'm not sure if it works, but I can send it to you if you want!

I'll email about this. selah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Warriors had a very cool but also bland cover. However the artwork for the Nitro mech on the front of it is pretty decent, I'm pretty sure it's an American take on the original Japanese Manual perhaps.Cybernator had a goofy cover though. However, looking at it brings back fond memories.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always really dug the Contra III box art. As goofy as they were, I sorely miss old Konami instruction manuals.

Jimbo and Sully indeed.

LJ -- Profile
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, your avatar is punching the forum tables out. uh, welcome!

If I get a copy of this game art book I'm going to scan and share it. Even if it's not Konami-related, there's cool stuff in it!
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
haha, your avatar is punching the forum tables out. uh, welcome!

If I get a copy of this game art book I'm going to scan and share it. Even if it's not Konami-related, there's cool stuff in it!

Heh, thanks.

Also I'd love to see this artbook, sounds great.

I tihnk instruction booklets are a lost art, but that's for another post that I don't have the time to make.

LJ -- Profile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: