The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo's Downloadable Content throughout History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Nintendo's Downloadable Content throughout History Reply with quote

I just received a copy of the Encyclopedia of Game Machines, and it's pretty good stuff. I'm filling in a lot of the gaps in my console knowledge, and it's a very beautiful book in general.

But as I read about Nintendo peripherals available only in Asia, I really wonder why I haven't heard about them before. I mean, for almost a year, people have been talking about how the Revolution will allow players to download older Nintendo games. Recently, there's been a lot of comparison to the GBA rereleases of NES games and, more recently, to Xbox Live Arcade. But why is it that in all of these articles, editorials, and commentaries, I haven't heard about the iQue, the new Nintendo console which lets Chinese players download Nintendo 64 games onto flash cartridges for about $5? See, that seems pretty relevant to me. Have I been reading the wrong blogs? I mean does it really take a book filled with slow, unelectronic words to show the history of Nintendo's online downlad service with the Satellaview peripheral for the Super Famicom? It seems like even Nintendo's wifi kiosks providing DS demos to Japanese gamers is underreported, though pretty damn interesting in the scheme of Revolution speculations.

Seriously, is it just me? Should I be looking at some other sources? Or is it just a general English-language bias against the game-delivery innovations that never left East Asia?
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they have wifi DS demos here? I thought people could download stuff inside EBs.

And it's totally because of bias, because no one wants to hear about anything interesting ever.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nintendo's Downloadable Content throughout History Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
I just received a copy of the Encyclopedia of Game Machines, and it's pretty good stuff. I'm filling in a lot of the gaps in my console knowledge, and it's a very beautiful book in general.

it's an adorable book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nintendo's Downloadable Content throughout History Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
Sounds like a future purchase for me...

Quote:
I haven't heard about the iQue, the new Nintendo console which lets Chinese players download Nintendo 64 games onto flash cartridges for about $5? See, that seems pretty relevant to me.
There was quite a bit of talk about it on release a year or two ago.

Quote:
Nintendo's online downlad service with the Satellaview peripheral for the Super Famicom
Pretty underwhelming service, really - nothing of great note was released for it. There was a text-based Chrono Trigger related game as memory serves, that seems to be pretty much the highlight (Japanese language only, of course)

I don't really know where I hear about this stuff. I do know I spend too much time online...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... I mean, the iQue is pretty old news, and as far as I am aware it was considered a failure. I mean, the only reason it was released was because Nintendo wanted to attempt to break into the pirate infested China.

Also, the Satellaview was much before the times of the internet. So I mean, there is no real reason to talk about it. People do still talk about Sega Channel though, which one of the two compines actually had the decency to release over here.

Oh, and the DS downloadable demos, yea, I don't know. I have bitched about that quite a few times. Sometimes it even allows you to download new songs and items and whatnot that actually save to your carts. I don't talk about it alot because not alot of news gets out about it. The stuff that does usually makes me either angry, or it does not pertain to me, so I ignore it.

I think you are just reading the wrong news honestly.

How is the book? I was tempted to get it, but I mean, it sounded like it got a horrible translation.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I don't know... I mean, the iQue is pretty old news, and as far as I am aware it was considered a failure. I mean, the only reason it was released was because Nintendo wanted to attempt to break into the pirate infested China.

I know that I wasn't following the news more closely back when the iQue (and definitely when the Satellaview) were released. What's amazing me is that in all of the current speculation about the Revolution, these ideas and their implications have been ignored or overlooked, with major commentors not even saying, "Nintendo attempted something similar with the ill-fated and little-known iQue."

Shapermc wrote:
Also, the Satellaview was much before the times of the internet. So I mean, there is no real reason to talk about it. People do still talk about Sega Channel though, which one of the two compines actually had the decency to release over here.

"Much before the times of the internet"? Satellaview launched in 1995. I had my first e-mail address in 1993, and Amazon.com was founded in 1994. And the program ran for five years, by which time the internet had grown considerably.

The Satellaview allowed subscribers to download and play NES games, often enhancements and upgrades. The Revolution will allow users to download and play NES games, and Nintendo has suggested that perhaps possibly maybe they would feature enhancements and upgrades. Sounds pretty similar to me.

Shapermc wrote:
I think you are just reading the wrong news honestly.

But what's the right news?

Shapermc wrote:
How is the book? I was tempted to get it, but I mean, it sounded like it got a horrible translation.

The translation itself seems fine, though I don't think that the editors of the translation paid enough attention to the final details of their version. There are errors, but they aren't noticeably worse than what I would expect in a similar English-only publication with a similar lax editorship.

Last edited by Tablesaw on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
But what's the right news?

GameSetWatch is probably going to be your best bet for future news as it has all the best collection of Insert Credit and Gameasutra as well as some blog hunting. It will be probably the most trim news for what you are looking for.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus i made their news post a while back so they're clearly people of taste.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
plus i made their news post a while back so they're clearly people of taste.

Clearly!

Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's a pretty damning statement. I donno. No real reason to talk about it? It's a part of history. Parallels can be drawn. Clearly, as a comparison, it is relevant. That's reason enough for me.

The fact that Satellaview games are even now playable to Westerners in ROM format (holy crap, what I've read about BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets is godly), letting them scratch the surface of what it was in Japan, is definitely relevant, I think.

To answer the question at large: I think it's mostly just ignorance (in the literal sense, lack of knowledge). I'll admit I hadn't even heard of the iQue (though I'll now look into it), until now. I can see people skipping over it quite easily.
Alc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can generally buy iQue's from the large Asian import shops online (Lik-Sang, Lan Kwei, Goldenshop etc), and Satellaviews pop up on ebay from time to time (not that they're of any use, of course), there's one going NIB right now in fact. They are obscure but not unknown. The real issue is that neither were ever released in the west so most people won't have heard of them.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

question: i've always wondered about defunct wireless/networking-capable systems like the Satellaview: would it be possible (admittedly probably through lots of effort and money, but i'm just talking about in theory) to set up one's own network for the system to connect to?

Would there be a way to trick it into connecting to some independent closed-network type thing? Could I theoretically set up a brand new Satellaview 'system' and have at least one other person connect to it and download something off of it?
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory I don't see why not, but you'd probably have to hack the living hell out of it.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you don't mean getting your own satellite in orbit to provide service.

It'd be slightly more practical to attempt to reverse-engineer the protocol it requires and trick it to upload some BS ROMs. It's not going to be easy, and you wouldn't have the original interface. If you wanted to enable your friend to use the service, he'd have to have his SNES hooked up to your PC.

I'n terms of user-created networking services offered to commercial games that weren't intended to use them, there have been a few attempts. There's the PC GTA online thing, which last I checked was doing alright, Warpipe for the Gamecube where you can play Mario Kart Double Dash/that Kirby racing game over the net, and I seem to remember there being some fan-made replacements of various Dreamcast games... maybe Quake 3? PSO, if the servers aren't up any more? Also some naughty people play games they haven't paid for on an Xbox Live!-alike service through their PC. So yeah, it does happen, but only if the functionality is lacking and someone can be bothered.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember my brother-in-law playing Halo 1 over internet connection using a fake system link. I don't know how that works, but I guess the functionality would already be there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: