The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Relationship Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: The Relationship Thread Reply with quote

This story takes place in a time period that I don’t much like to recall. For the past six years I’ve kept the records of it locked away in the safes of my psyche’s governments, under constant supervision by armed guards who would scurry the chronicler that lives inside my head to other, more interesting, periods in my life whenever he would come too close to them. Not because the events contained in them cause me pain, I’ve changed too much and have had too much happen to me since then, but because they stir a repulsive sense of disapproval within me when they are brought to the forefront of my mind.

I was in tenth grade. I believe I was fourteen or fifteen.

At the time, I was a degenerate adolescent, whose beliefs and ideals had yet to form into the sparkling young man that you are reading at this moment. I knew nothing, absolutely nothing about anything. I’m dead serious. My entire knowledge of the world was an amalgam of videogames, cartoons, patriotic war films and some vague notions of Christianity that I picked up from attending church services now and then. These media created a phantasmagoria of heroic soldiers laying down there lives for our glorious motherland, scenes of sentimental monologues and innocent kisses in a hazy fantasy setting, unimaginably violent smaurai sword fights, a winged Christ locked in an endless struggle against the Beast: all under the aegis of a blind, thickheaded know-nothingness masquerading as a sensibility, with a Wu-Tang Clan/ Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack playing in the background. Before adolescence this stupidity was charming and produced some wonderful things, I’ve written about them too many times in the Gamer’s Quarter and will no doubt write about them again, so I don’t want to bring them up again here.

The only thing that I understood and felt right down to the marrow of my bones was that I was waiting for something to happen. Something massive and world-changing that would send me on the epic quests that I dreamed off in between bouts of videogame playing and masturbation. I dreamed of finding a band of adventures that I would join me. I wasn’t finding them in real life. I was shy and had an aura of repugnance around me. If I’d met my fourteen-year old self today I’d avoid him, because he’d be that annoying dickhead that posts garbled, all-caps misspelled un-thoughts on anime message boards.

I had very few friends. The only person that wasn’t related to me that I saw fairly often was Vlad. I don’t want to call him my friend, even if we did spend many years together, because I saw him out of necessity, for lack of anyone else; I hated him for the most part, because his personal habits and manners were repulsive. He also struck me as immoral. He was the type of person that grovels to the cruel popular pack, adopts their loathsome habits and traits, and picks on weaker kids and turns nerds’ lives into hell, all in an effort to make himself look stronger, a braggart and a liar of the cheapest, most vile sort. A person that, were he at the My Lai massacre, would join in the killing with a nervous grin, casting quick glances at his CO every time he blew a hole into the head of another emaciated peasant, searching for approval, and at the end of it all he’d go on about how he hated fags, gook-lovers and pussies in an all too loud voice while chugging a beer and belching. He went to another school and talked big about his popularity and standing there (how surprised I was to hear from another one of his friends that most of his supposed “friends” made fun of him behind his back and were constantly surprised by his inability to note that they didn’t like him).

Now, don’t think I was somehow the noble one here. I was and am a thorough coward, perhaps less so these days. I would get my teeth knocked out by boys smaller than me and literally not have the strength to fight back; I would get utterly humiliated and not say a word. Once that happened a few times, I lost any desire to brag about myself. I had a deep, soul-crushing fear of people, especially older boys and girls (I would, oddly enough, lose this completely in six months, once I discovered that the people at my school, once I stopped hating all of them from afar, really were great, noble souls that treated me with kindness and warmth after I got over my self-conscious desire to appear as a tough-as-hell badass loner and acted like myself).

One day Vlad wanted to introduce me to his girlfriend. I was somewhat shocked by this sudden development. Now, he had told me many times of his many girlfriends, though I never believed him. I was puzzled and shocked; a bit jealous as well. I had yet to even kiss a girl. I met him at his school. The girl, Mary, seemed rather plain to me at first sight, perhaps even a bit homely. Perhaps she had a passable figure and cute face. She was pretty dumb, as well ignorant of everything good in the world.

We went around the city that day, she and he making out the whole time and groping one another, as young people are prone to do. Throughout this whole trip, something gnawed at me. I didn’t understand what until I went home.

My blood began ran cold and it seemed as if it was slowly transforming into needless. Those needles were pumped through my heart. I began to cry horribly and for a very long time. I was jealous, plain jealous. That jealousy became developed into a searing hatred of everything around me. For some reason, this girl, who had been nothing in my eyes, had become the most beautiful thing in the world. I compared all other girls to her, I idealized their relationship. I began to idolize Vlad as well, I figured that if a girl as great as her could spend time with him without being repulsed then I was wrong. Everyday I would wake up and be utterly despondent, I would have a blank stare at school and I would draw attention to myself by acting depressed, hoping that people would notice and cheer me up. I didn’t hate Vlad anymore and I didn’t even hate myself. All I had in those days was my pain, which would increase every time Vlad would reveal a new detail of their mounting sexual trysts. Every time I’d see them kiss I’d amplify the fantasy that drove me on: a noble death in Chechnya, going to that filthy war and dying like a hero. What a loathsome, degenerate twerp I was.

Once he dared her to kiss me and she did. It was the first time I had ever kissed a girl, and well I’m sure we all know what that feels like. I was very happy for a few days. Yet, now I’m bitter that these people were involved in so momentous an event.

And god, how I’d like to have those six months of desperation returned to me. How I’d love to punch the fucking cobwebs of my face and reveal that I was worshipping a pair of banal schoolkids, going through their daytime drama romance with as much grace as a pack of cockroaches. I was too fucking dumb to understand that this wasn’t Romeo and Juliet, that these were tasteless abominations incapable of feeling an emotion beyond those inspired by shitty pop songs. While I spent my days in my room, masturbating, pitying myself, crying while listening to anime soundtracks, loathing everything around me, and pining for her, and all this happened while there were plenty of girls that liked me in my school. And I would be too fucking stupid to notice… ehh, those two, their type pollutes the world; the type that I regard as less than vermin, the type of people that I try not to think about, for they make it more difficult to imagine a world of human decency. I despise them more than Adolf Hitler, because at least the Nazis had taste.

And this, folks, is what blind jealousy creates.

Also, if you think I’m being to hard on them then let me tell you that I saw Vlad a year ago by chance and he’s exactly the same fucking moron that he was in high school, and mighty successful in his professional and personal life, I might add.

Writing this has left a bad taste in my mouth. Nonetheless, I can’t avoid these things. They are a part of my life. Though I find it endlessly odd that that person, who seems more alien to me than my current friends, was once myself.

It’s actually amusing to me now.

Well, no, actually, it isn’t. It remains shameful and vile.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Relationship Thread Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Also, if you think I’m being to hard on them then let me tell you that I saw Vlad a year ago by chance and he’s exactly the same fucking moron that he was in high school, and mighty successful in his professional and personal life, I might add.

Once again I think of Dostoesvky.

"I could not become anything: neither bad nor good, neither a scoundrel nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect. And now I am eking out my days in my corner, taunting myself with the bitter and entirely useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot seriously become anything; that only a fool can become something."

This notion has caused me much trouble, but it also shows what I perceive as an error in Dostoevsky's thinking. He's missing the loophole where a man who realizes that he is a fool may become very intelligent. "The more you realize how little you know, the more you understand." This seems a bit Zen, too, doesn't it?

I don't think you're being hard on them. You are (or were) being much, much harder on yourself. But because of this, and because you recognize this, you're a much better person for it. You've lived a life with depths of thought and feeling that such plebes could never on their best day imagine. Once a fool, and all the wiser for it. That's some useful consolation, isn't it? We may be loners, but we're really and truly alive. We're constantly becoming something.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're constantly becoming something.

isn't everyone?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
We're constantly becoming something.

isn't everyone?

Maybe, but like seryogin said, he recently met this Vlad person and saw that he hadn't changed at all. He'd become "successful in his professional and personal life," sure, but what did this amount to? Sounds to me like he was a rather vacant individual, and people like that don't become anything.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people like that don't become anything worth remembering.

Fixed.

Some people don't change throughout their entire lives. Look at Bush, he's the same frat boy asshole that he was in college.

But, yeah, you give way too much credit.

And, well, that Dostoyevskii quote, I think you're paying attention to the wrong part.

"I could not become anything: neither bad nor good, neither a scoundrel nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect."

The rest of the quote is just simple vanity. It's the Underground Man's pitiful melancholy at being a mediocre man that animates the passage.

And I did start this thread for other people to describe their relationships in. I just chose to describe that period of my life, because I don't have the desire to boast about what happened later, when everything changed for a better, at least not on a forum; that's what LJs are for.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last relationship ended abruptly and unexpectedly. maybe i'll go into detail tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I already told my story elsewhere, but for posterity's sake...

antitype wrote:
seryogin wrote:
In the meantime, what about that girl?

Oh, it's really not a story worth telling here.

I guess I'll say a few words. It was really just another example of the way relationships with women I actually care deeply for (and maybe even come to love) go for me. Friendship blossoms into "something more," I'm beginning to fall head over heels, and then suddenly, with or without warning, the woman decides to leave — sometimes due to circumstances supposedly beyond her control. While she's away, wherever "away" may be, she inevitably falls in love with some other guy. The guy she falls in love with was not even in the picture when she left, but there he is, every time. He is my curse.

This last time, the young woman decided she'd go on a road trip around the country. Not two weeks into her travels, she meets a man in Death Valley — a man from Montréal who is apparently also on a road trip. They fall in love. She now lives with him in Montréal.

OK, so this is actually only the third time this sort of thing has happened, and this wasn't as gut-wrenching as the time a girl I loved more deeply and foolishly than anyone else I'd ever known simply abandoned me to return to an abusive ex-boyfriend, but it's all been enough to make me give up on love for a while.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notes from underground is pretty much perfect.

Quote:
Maybe, but like seryogin said, he recently met this Vlad person and saw that he hadn't changed at all. He'd become "successful in his professional and personal life," sure, but what did this amount to? Sounds to me like he was a rather vacant individual, and people like that don't become anything.

for a long time i was rather smug about the "fate" of my first high school girlfriend/first love/first heartbreak/etc; she's not only become a high school teacher (rather than an environmental lawyer like she'd planned) but she married another indian christian, as was her life script. (one of the reasons we broke up was because she said she couldn't marry someone who didn't go to church every week; at the time i thought you were supposed to marry the people you dated in high school - i was not very bright, needless to say, presuming i'm any brighter now. that and long distance relationships suck when you're emotionally retarded.)

the reason that line of reasoning is silly is because it has to answer one question: who the fuck am i to decide what was or was not the correct path for her life to take?

besides, if you're worried about longevity and impact, either have a lot of children or kill a lot of people. or both, if you're that way.

funny story - i stopped being jealous of anyone the day i figured out my best friend in high school had engineered this insane plot to sleep with said girlfriend, and eventually succeeded. he's a gym teacher somewhere. to be fair, i sort of fisted his girlfriend after me and the gf mentioned above broke up (they were also broken up, so it's more like a freaky coincidence than revenge thing) at around the same time. but i don't even remember feeling angry, and hearing back through the grapevine (we still had mutual friends then) that he was worried i was going to beat him up. silly.

i remember sending her (the hs gf) an email when she emailed me saying "oh, i can't meet you in the city tomorrow, i have to stay at this college (where best friend was)" and i sent back some stoic "i understand. i hope you're both happy together." or some bullshit like that. very silly.

as of today...i'd feel bad and silly posting "i've been married almost two years and been with the same woman for nearly a decade. we're very happy, share a lot of goals and a lot of laughs, and have an insane amount of incredible sex" amid the misery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
besides, if you're worried about longevity and impact, either have a lot of children or kill a lot of people. or both, if you're that way.

I'm really not. I thought of writing, "We're constantly becoming something, even while we approach our deaths." I know I'll die and be forgotten. I don't care so much about leaving a mark or "immortalizing" myself in any way. I don't know if I'll ever have children, let alone get married, but even I did that wouldn't truly be an extension of myself. It'd simply be the creation of an entirely new person, even if they carried on some of my traits.

I know I'm going to die, and that's why I'm concerned with living and "becoming something" now.

dhex wrote:
as of today...i'd feel bad and silly posting "i've been married almost two years and been with the same woman for nearly a decade. we're very happy, share a lot of goals and a lot of laughs, and have an insane amount of incredible sex" amid the misery.

There's nothing wrong with that! It has its place in this thread, I'd say. It's just nothing I can quite relate to, you know? I suppose it's something to envy, but I ... don't, really. Not at this point in my life. I mean, I'm hardly ready for such a commitment to another person.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: A little out of place. Reply with quote

Four years ago, about four years roughly is when I met a girl, who would later on become my fiancé. I was ignorant, I had never had a girlfriend before, but she fell head over heals for me, I adjusted my lifestyle and also ended up falling for her, but this story isn't about a relationship that fell apart, it's just about self-destructing.

Four years ago, I was self-destructive. I still feel those tendencies every once and a while. It's sometimes a constant struggle and battle to get up and do what needs to be done. But those four years, through High School, they were messy. I played the role of the antagonist, miss-understood, shunned by all, trying to make heads or tails of the situation that was unfolding around me.

I wanted to grasp what a relationship was, my girlfriend tried to help me, she slowly made progress, she worked hard at it. She had her problems, I had mine, it was a beautiful co-existence, and still is. But at the three years I made a mistake, I lied to her, not about a girl, not about my life, but about my past and an event that transfixiated itself on changing every perspective I held dear to me. She hated when someone lied to her, I told white lies, like everyone does.

I won't go into details about what I lied about, it wasn't about her I didn't cheat I don't have the capability within me to hurt someone so much, but it was important and I really pushed her away. I wanted to tell her if we got married. So she thought it over, she hated me. She still resents that year. I didn't want to be the antagonist, but I pushed myself deeper into depression and I don't think I ever recovered from lying to someone that had did so much for me.

Nothing is broken except me; I am the defect in the relationship. I let her down, and even though she still feels the same about me, it will take a long time for her to really convey her feelings the same way towards me. I've never been an any relationship except this one. I can't imagine being with anyone else, the awkwardness, and the bitter reality of being socially inept. I suppose that was what drew both of us together.

This story has a semi-happy ending I suppose. I’ve never shared it with anyone, she's told her friends, but I don't have any other friends that would bother to listen really, College acts as a dampener between friendships as well sometimes. I learned that the hard way. Either way, the only relationship I have ever had, and still have is one that I have jeopardized and I hate myself for it. It doesn't matter that it's o.k. It doesn't matter that things worked out, I still fucking hate myself for it.

Coming from four years I have made progress, I learned with someone that was just as inexperienced as me. I didn't know what a relationship is, and I am convinced that I still don't have a clue. I suppose in general, what I am trying to say is that even when everything in a relationship is fine, it's so fragile and so easy to dismantle, and hurt each other it's just uncanny. I sometimes wish I was stronger, or a better person, but I know who I am and that I have a lot of things to work on.

In closing, things are very strange, relationships are the same way. I want to change myself for the better, for her. When viewed next to each other, she is perfection, and I am just so far away from it, it's not funny. It's this through that emerges sometimes when I wake up and think about how far I have come in four years, and then how much farther we have to go in a relationship.

I'm sorry if this offended anyone.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't apologize if that offended anyone. Hell, it's your story.

I don't really have anything to add. I'm awkward and pretty shy, so here I am.

Last edited by Swimmy on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumblefish, you're tale reminded me of a quote from Martin Eden:

"[her name] It was a talisman, a magic word to conjure with. Each time he murmured it, her face shimmered before him, suffusing the foul wall with a golden radiance. This radiance did not stop at the wall. It extended on into infinity, and through its golden depths his soul went questing after hers. The best that was in him was pouring out in a spending flood. The very thought of her ennobled and purified him, made him better, and made him want to be better."

And, well, I hope things get better.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an observation: the thing about baggage is that you don't have to carry it around. it's a choice.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
an observation: the thing about baggage is that you don't have to carry it around. it's a choice.

It's my belief that one must have some loyalty to his moods, if I may paraphrase John Dolan.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she was relatively new to the area. she came over the weekend of my birthday (the end of this month), and i cooked for her. she was late and my pot got burnt. she bought me a new one.

she felt good in my arms. i was comfortable sharing a bed with her, and that's rare. and i was stunned by how quickly, how naturally we fell into kissing each other. before we had even sat down to eat.

things had been bad for me since i'd dropped out of school, and i took our relationship as a sign that things were starting to turn around. i think i put too much faith in her, in hindsight.

we continued over the weeks that followed. her cat had a difficult time relinquishing her spot on my partner's bed to me. we spent time together and ate and amused each other and played and hatched plans.

we were planning to go to california that summer and move in together, if things went well. we were looking at community colleges, and i had a friend outside san francisco who i hoped could help us find work.

a friend's choir tour was ending, and the last stop was a community church in new york. i was to meet my partner there, and she was to meet several of my friends (choir friend and a mutual friend who had dated choir friend) for the first time. then the three of us would catch the bus back to my place.

my partner didn't show up. she was sleeping when i called her. when my friend and i got back to my place there was an email from her. i didn't want to read it in front of my guest, but i made a pretty terrible host anyway that evening.

it was a break-up letter, of course (or a "dear johnna" letter, as one of my friends put it). she gave me a number of reasons over the next week, and i'm still not sure which - if any - was true.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met her my junior year of high school at the local mall. She was staying with her aunt after her she had problems with her mother and step-father after they had moved to Oklahoma to be closer to her step-father's sick brother. She wasn't here long before her aunt moved to Texas and she up to Oklahoma.

We kept in touch over the phone and through emails. She had a boyfriend at the time, but we weren't overly serious at first. Soon it happened that things clicked, and she broke up with him and my family and I went up for a visit.

A great aside: My parents had seen some Tom Hanks movie about relationships over the internet and found it quirky that that's what we were up to. They wanted a mini vacation so they paid for it all. I would like to say that I never told them we had already hung out before was because they never asked, but it was because I wanted a free trip. Aye, sometimes I'm a bad son. Moving along ...

The visit went great, and I got along with her family really well. I will try to be as nice about the family as I can, but, honestly, they were trash. Her younger sister wasn't, however, she was an extremely intelligent girl who loved science and animals and might have been something had she had better surroundings. Her older brother was really into history, games, star trek, etc. He was a little strange when we first met, but he turned out to be a really cool guy ... one second. Her step-sister was just weird. Aside from being a Wiccan, she talked as if she had a ball of snot always stuck in her throat, and she really liked unicorns. She would also do really random things that made no sense. None of this on their own would make her strange, but the combination of it all was just. She was kinda annoying, too. Eventually her brother and her step-sister married. Eh ... they were happy last I saw them, so best wishes to them.

Her step-father beat them when they were younger, was a genuine pervert, and chain smoked like crazy. He smoked about 20 cigars a day. He had a fake eye.

Her mother was a rotund woman who was really nice, highly stressed, and into odd things as well (star trek and whatnot - not to say star trek is odd, because I certainly dig the trek, but you know). I stuck up for her quite a bit. I really should't have. She stole money from us and at one point told her co-workers (my girlfriend worked at the same place) that I beat her. It's hard to beat her when I'm not around.

My parents loved my girlfriend and she moved in after graduation. Things were good for a while. My mother flipped her switched, decided she hated her, and the next 2 years were some of the strangest and most interesting of my life. At one point my mother didn't talk to me for around 2 months, choosing to grunt at me instead. She also made up stories, about events that kinda happened but not really - her telling me "hi" turned into her greeting me and me flipping out on her and screaming and whatnot. My father realized something was up when she made up stories involving him. She has a thyroid problem, so we say that's why she sometimes acts insane.

We moved into an apartment, but things didn't go well. I was slightly bitter and she was one of those people that nagged a lot. I would go to work all day and she would sit at home, then complain when I wouldn't make supper and whatnot. She used to be sweet, grateful, and funny. This was about 5 years in to the relationship. We had settled down, but damn if it wasn't getting rough. I smoked quite a bit and we both gained weight and were just unpleasant to each other. That's not to say there weren't good times, because we still enjoyed each others' company and felt unease when we weren't around each other. Note: I still miss her company, so.

One day she woke up half insane. My friend said it might've been heat stroke since we had a giant window in the bedroom. A few weeks later, I was sleeping on the sofa and her on an air mattress in the living room (AC worked better in there) the day before I was heading off to QuakeCon with my father. I thought she was yawning, but she was really having a seizure. That was a pretty scary moment - saliva was flying everywhere, her face was blue, and ... just unpleasant.

Since I've been rambling - quick version of events:

She had to quit work because her medication required six months to a year to adjust to whatever her problems were. I was working for two people up until then. One decided to hire someone full time, so my pay was cut in half.

She moved back home.

We had no insurance, so, and after just spending $600 on dental bills, I then wipped out my savings and paid for her entire stay in the hospital (plus ambulance, plus whatever the medical industry could do to charge me). During our time apart I paid for a lot of her medication, many repairs on her piece of crap car, our storage, and for bills in general. And I managed to save up around $2,000-3,000. Our visits went well, but I was generally tired from school and work and she wanted to move back. Note, the $2,000-3,000 was after a while, so for a long time there simply was no money to move back with or live on.

After a while she tells me she is getting sick. She isn't eating. She tells me its us. Me being the genius that I am, I think, "Maybe a break is in order!" It turns out, that's what she was shooting for. The day after I say that, she concludes we're broken up, a week after she "meets" someone new. A few weeks later they are engaged. Now they're married.

A 5-6 year relationship down the drain. She only paid me 1/3 of the pittance I asked for - when it was all her stuff in storage. I've yet to get that and most of my belongings back. She's been married about 7 months now. She did randomly email me asking questions about setting up routers and stuff. Ah, gall.

I have no problems in saying that I acted slightly like a bitch during the break-up. I concluded that, if this ended, the past 5-6 years were kinda trashed and all my future plans were trashed as well. So I did what I could. Her reasons weren't very good: I bring up money because she accused me of not saving any for us to live on; she said she wanted to be a police officer and was upset because I wasn't crazy on the idea, I said she would change her mind since she mentioned going to a business school just a few weeks earler and she swore she wouldn't, and last we spoke she was going to the business school; and she wanted a kid and I didn't, and she had no plans to have a kid last we spoke. In the end, she ended up grunting when I told her I loved her. That teaches you something, it does.

I haven't gone out with anyone since. I don't have that big of an urge to, really. There are quite a few weird stories I left out since this is already long. I've found that reading has helped. I sleep with seneca, adam smith, and rod serling now. Those are some fantastic orgies.

Last edited by ryan on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:04 am; edited 2 times in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's my belief that one must have some loyalty to his moods, if I may paraphrase John Dolan.

loyalty to moods is one thing, though i know not what that thing is since moods owe their loyalty to me; carrying around The Great Horkin' Ball of Sins I Have Committed is stupid, however, and one of those things i wish i could have put in a card and mailed back to myself 10 or 12 years ago..
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

loyalty to moods is one thing, though i know not what that thing is since moods owe their loyalty to me; carrying around The Great Horkin' Ball of Sins I Have Committed is stupid, however, and one of those things i wish i could have put in a card and mailed back to myself 10 or 12 years ago..

What I meant was that one has to be solemn if the situation demands one to be solemn. Melancholy if the situation call for melancholy.

And, well, you're right. Though I never meant that one should let his sins bother him all the time. I certainly carry around plenty of events that still, years after the fact, make me shudder with shame and wonder why the Orwelliat has yet to stand me up againt a wall for continuing to live after them...
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uh, made the mistake of lying to myself about a girl for the past um, seven years or so.

Never again.
baronpatsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: why did I make this post?

I don't remember! It was a bad idea, though.

Last edited by baronpatsy on Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a sophomore in High School I had a small crush on a girl. Her name was Megan.

We started to date after a while, a friend hooked us up. I was in love. I did all kinds of crazy things for her like buying her an $800 prom dress. I was also her first, and I told her I would wait until she was ready. I waited 2 months. But she was in a grade above me. In my junior year I realized she was going to graduate and it struck me weird. I was in love, I had had long distance relationships before, they don’t work. I have to do something. Now.

So I worked on graduating early. I worked my ass off and even took a class instead of lunch. I worked my ass off to study and take the ACT early. I did well enough to get into my school of choice (University of Illinois Chicago) and it was only a 20 min drive from her school. I visited her most weekends and sometimes during the week I would make the 1.5 hour drive each way just to see her for an hour or so while I was still in High school for that last semester. I was young and dumb.

So I graduate early and go to my dorm room. It was the first time I lived somewhere I could smoke inside, so I smoked 3 packs of Camel lights in about 6 hours. I had to switch to menthol after that because anything without menthol left a terrible taste in my mouth. Other than that it pretty good. I had a decent enough roommate (Erem): we both smoked (cigs and pot) and we both brought nice audio and TV set ups. We had 3 TVs (one for video games, one for TV and one for anything else in a corner) and 15 speakers (2 were so big that we bought some fabric and put them back to back turning them into a coffee table). Him and I played though FFVII FFDog style. For 96 straight hours we handed off the controller and tried to stay awake, sleeping only in shifts and never watching any videos while the other was sleeping. I still have the save on my memory card of the 96th hour.

So we got along. He would occasionally drive me to see her, other times she would drive and even more frequently I would take the train (as a freshmen I was not allowed to keep my car on campus and couldent afford parking myself). All three of us would go to parties and hang out and smoke. It was some good times for a month or so.

One morning, after she had spent the night, I woke up early, and I was alone in bed. I shoulden’t have been. I thought that perhaps she got up and went to the bathroom, the door closing had woken me up. I got down from bed (we had to bunk the beds because of all the speakers) and when I hit the ground, I looked into the bottom bunk and there she was, with Erem.

I think I screamed and they both woke up. I don’t remember for sure. It is all hazy. She was quite and just went straight to the bathroom, ignoring my questions. I followed her into the bathroom, continuously questioning her. He went to get breakfast. She locked herself into a stall for a good 20 min without saying a word. Tears running down my face, furious as hell, I took a step back and kicked the door open. It swung in, hit the wall, bounced back and closed shut again in less than a second. In that amount of time I saw her face; fear and pain was etched into it.

I knew at that moment that what ever it was that had happen, no matter what, I could never recover myself from that single act. I went back to the room and just sat down in a corner. After a few more minutes she came in and got her stuff, still silent, and left. I said and did nothing. 15 minutes later Erem came back in and put his hand on my shoulder. I should take this time to mention that he worked out a lot and was easily many degrees stronger and about 6 inches taller than I. Calmly, as though he was not part of the problem at all (and as if there were no problem) he told me:

”Matt, man, you can’t just blow up on someone like that. The things you said and then kicking in the door. I mean, she doesn’t want to see you anymore.”
(‘what did I say? Oh god, my mind is blank. What the hell DID I say?’)
“I am surprised that you did not know. I mean, this has been going on for over two weeks now. She says that you have been emotionally distant since you got here. I have seen you, all you do is watch movies and play games. You never take her out to dinner or to any clubs, just parties around here. The time I took her home after the party on Halstead where you DJed she told me all this. That was the first time we spent the night together. You never even noticed.”
(‘how the hell am I supposed to know this? We have been dating for over 2 years now and she has never even hinted at this. And why would I need to keep tabs on you or her? She called and said she made it back alright. What the fuck is going on here!’)
“She doesn’t want you to call her or see her. If you need to give her anything or tell her anything, let me know, I will get it to her.”

I never said a word, I just sat there in shock. He then left to probably see her off. It was then that I finally got up. Hot tears streaming down my cheeks I opened my drawer and got out a pocket knife. I took it and started to draw a line down the inside of my wrist, starting at the base of my palm to my elbow. I did this a dozen times or so, then just applied pressure. I don’t remember thinking about it, just doing it. Blood started to pool up and leak out: I dropped the knife. There was 2 inch opening in my wrist and I did not even know I had made it. Seeing the blood snapped me out of it and I started to think, and cry even more. I grabbed a towel and just wrapped my wrist with it. I then sat back down in the corner. I had no plan anymore. I just waited for something.

Shortly after Erem came in, no more than 5 min later. He shouted at me a question as to what I did. I had no answer. He grabbed the back of my arm and pulled me into the hall where he washed it out in the drinking fountain. He then put about 5 Band-Aids over it and wrapped it gauze. “I’m taking you to the emergency room!” Immediately I grabbed onto the piping of the drinking fountain and held with every ounce of strength I had. Unable to pull me away he told me to fuck off and die, then leaving to go somewhere. I got up and went back to the room.

Nobody came back that day. He left around 7am Sunday morning. I expected campus police to show up or something. I just laid in bed. I must not have hit a major artery as I am still here. I lay there all night. I laid there most of Monday too. I missed my first class ever that day. I never went to another again either. It was barely a month into school. I just lay there, still wrapped up and bandaged, not even getting up to drink water. Monday night he came back around midnight. He went straight to sleep. My head was hurting so bad that I got up to get some water for the first time. Something about his return surprised me into moving. When I returned to the room he said something that blew my mind: “That was a bad move. Now you made it so you probably will never get back together. She thinks you are abusive and mentally unstable.”

Abusive? What the hell? The only nearly abusive thing I ever did was kick that fucking door open. And what the hell right does he have to give me advice like that. I went back to bed. I did not move again until Tuesday evening when I got something to eat for the first time. Nothing much happen the rest of the week. I signed up to get some psychiatric advice at the campus clinic (where I was put on, then one week later took myself off of, Zoloft) Wednesday. Then on Friday night Erem came back, from somewhere with her I assume, to sleep in his bed. With her. Right the fuck below me.

If you ever want to get really fucked up in the head, get in a situation like this. I don’t remember what happen much. I tried to ignore it. I doped myself up really good on pot, acid and shrooms. I didn’t care. Once I was so fucked up on acid that I started to go to the bathroom and the popcorn ceiling of the bathroom turned into blood and started to drip down onto me, so I fell to the ground in fright where the pipes of the urinals became snake like and scared me further into a corner where I spent the rest of the night in fear. I did a lot of stupid things then which were all really poor choices.

She slept below me about every weekend for about 3 weeks when Erem had to go to Pakistan… or somewhere around there, for a week. It was while he was gone that I got him kicked out of school in a grand scheme that involved; getting a hold of his attendance records and his late bills. When he returned the locks had been changed and he had to go to the campus police to get them to escort him to the room to remove his belongings. I never said a word the whole time he was there.

On his way out (he had brought her, who was wearing much more makeup than usual and wearing much more revealing and expensive clothes than before) I grabbed Megan’s arm lightly: “Wait.” She turned and looked at me over her shoulder. “I have to go.”

”I love you. Still. I don’t know why, but I can’t stop it. Just know that I will love you where every you go and whoever you are with.”
“I don’t love you anymore Matt.”

I let go and she walked the ten feet in front of her where Erem was, slipped her arm around his waist as he started to push the cart full of his items off to the freight elevators. I never saw her again for over 2 years, where I happen to be in the parking lot while she drove past me, unbeknownst to her. I have not seen her again since and that was over 6 years ago now.

I loved her for the longest time. I don’t think I do anymore, but those feeling are buried so deep now I can’t honestly say. I had a few relationships after her, but every time I treated the girl as though she were Megan. I just compared them to her. I was so noticeably messed up in the head that one girl actually used me for sex (which, thinking back was not that bad a thing). This went on for about a year. Then Sara, an ex-girlfriend from my early sophomore year of High school (who was only at our school for one semester) tracked me down. We had remained somewhat friends (though a mutual friend) for years, but she liked me still… for some ungodly known reason. So she found me at work one day and told me (somewhat jokingly) that she was looking for a boyfriend. YES, I am an idiot. I told her I don’t really know any guys that are single.

Since this story has gone on for too long as it is I will make this quick. I admitted to her that I had compared all previous girlfriends to Megan and said that I wouldn’t date her because I liked her and did not want to do that to her. I had to be honest, I told her no. We hung out and went to a few parties, and then I asked her one night if her offer was still available. “Yes.” 6 months later we were living together, and another year or so later we were married. That was 5 and a half years ago we got married. Right now I am in a hotel 690 miles away from Sara, and I miss her dearly and love her very much.

God, this hotel room smells like that dorm because I switched back to smoking Camels. I am going to light some incense.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess!

At least you didn't receive a letter that basically said, in garbled, fierce English: "Sergei! You're the most vile, evil person on the face of the earth and I regret ever trusting you." I've received two of those now and I, aside from being slightly unnerved, and suffering a short bout of self-loathing, was actually pleased to receive such letters.

To clarify, my relationships are usually filled with many painful verbal exchanges and earnest declamations, with as much multi-layered dialogue as a Dostoyevskii novel, with plenty of self-doubt and self-pity occupying the space between the word baloons, that when they finally become something stable, when both of us are thereotically happy, I become bored and quickly lose interest. After a girl has submitted to me completely, I realize that I no longer really have to do anything, that she's made up her mind to like me, and so her flaws become more apparent with each passing moment. I then begin thinking that I need--nay, deserve--someone better. Which always makes me smile, because the day before I'd be telling my friends in all seriousness that I couldn't live without that girl, that losing her would be worse than death. So causing someone at least a bit of the pain that I felt in pursuing them is a fine consolation prize as far as I'm concerned.

Though perhaps I'm just seeing the wrong girls--at this point, I'm not seeing any girls at all--because a year ago I went out on a date with a rather pretty and sweet girl two years my junior. Mister Toups may remember this event for I had sent him a whiny letter about it last January (at that point Toups had just joined the staff of TGQ and I wanted him to edit my Chrono Trigger essay; which he did, most marvelously). We may have just had dinner and gone to see a rather shitty movie, but that night was the happiest I'd been in years. I was quite miserable when she didn't return my calls.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
At least you didn't receive a letter that basically said, in garbled, fierce English: "Sergei! You're the most vile, evil person on the face of the earth and I regret ever trusting you." I've received two of those now and I, aside from being slightly unnerved, and suffering a short bout of self-loathing, was actually pleased to receive such letters.

i would have much preferred to know i was worth a piece of paper and handwritten words.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
seryogin wrote:

i would have much preferred to know i was worth a piece of paper and handwritten words.

One was actually an email, the other was a sheet of math notebook paper. That one wasn't as fierce as the email though.

Edit: Ryan, I don't know what to tell you. You're relationship sounds insane in a way that I'm not familiar with. Though I can vouch for the goodness of those orgies.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good story, shapes.

Quote:
Never again.

one can hope!

also, bad relationships teach you one important lesson: vengence is beautiful.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm really not. I thought of writing, "We're constantly becoming something, even while we approach our deaths."

That’s a nice sentence.

I hope you're not lying, because if you aren't then you're a lot braver than I am. I am horribly afraid of death, constantly worrying about how I’m wasting my time, wasting each moment of my glorious, fleeting youth sitting at home. My fear of death comes from the idea that, were I on my knees, facing a ditch, with a Mauser pistol rubbing against the back of my head, I couldn’t say “Well, I’ve lived a good life and that’s that.” I’d die burning with bitterness and resentment, probably sobbing and begging for clemency.

The thought of that troubles me without end everyday of my life.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no more dramatic fiction for you, young man.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say a few quick stories. These are more weird than anything else. Also add a little levity to the mix.

There were six people in their house, seven when I was there, and only one bathroom. One night I woke up ready to go. It turns out her brother was taking a shower. It was around 2:30 in the morning. I figured he had just got home from work, so no big deal. He gets out about, oh, 45 minutes later. I get up to go, but then I hear the shower start again. Repeat this about six or so more times. He doesn't finish until nearly 6 in the morning. Take a time when you really, really had to go to the bathroom but couldn't until you waited. An entire early morning was spent like that. The few times I tried knocking on the door he never heard me. I asked her why he took so many damn showers (could've been up to eight) and she just shrugged her shoulders and said, "He likes showers."

He was once arrested for kidnapping after he ran away with a girl he was going to marry. Her parents didn't approve so they went a few towns over. After they got back and the charges dropped, she broke up with him a week or so later to go out with one of his friends.

Her parents were going camping one weekend that I was over and had just left. I was looking for her cat and was bent under a table calling her name. Her parents walk back in, recognize what I'm doing, but noticing she isn't there her mom goes, "Here pussy, pussy, pussy," while her husband laughed and she winked at me. That was awkward.

Her step-father asked my ex to give him any videos if we had any or would ever make any.

Her father was in jail when she was growing up due to selling munitions from a depot while he was in the military.

She was once an adamant animal rights person, then the last few times we talked she had been out hunting with her new friend. She also used money that was due to me to buy him a new gun.

Combined with everything else, I believe I was dumped for white trash so she could become white trash. If my ego had balls, that would life giving a swift kick to them.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a phenomenal story, Shaper. It’s the best thing I’m going to read in a long time, certainly better than this Murakami novel I’m forcing myself to plough through.

Having never been in a situation of that sort, I can’t really comment much on it…I’m even a bit jealous of your story, actually. So much life! And well it’s comforting to know that there’s another person that tends to cut himself during moments of great emotional duress.

I also liked the way you described the Silent Hill-esque moments of your going into the bathroom on all those drugs.

Your story is a profound one, I had thought those had become extinct, and to be honest I wasn’t expecting something like it from you, Shaper. To me, you have always appeared as a reasonable, upright cowboy-adventurer, a voice of sanity amidst the chaos, a “pirate…for GOOD” as aderack has once characterized you. This story has changed my entire perception of you and TGQ.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
This story has changed my entire perception of you and TGQ.

I was really honestly worried about that. One of the reasons I did not want to tell the tale to begin with. As for the cutting, well, I don't really know where it came from. I am not a "cutter," (or what ever the term is) so... I don't know. It scares the hell out of me really. I would go back and edit the story, but I will just leave this here in omake form:

Shapermc: I could probably fix up the begining a little more and explain that I sleep like a rock
Shapermc: yea
dhex2323: yeah
Shapermc: Yea, once I woke up in the middle of a party of about 8 guys smoking pot. They said they had been there for over an hour, they were playing tekken 3 too. I woke up, got high, then played tekken 3 for the rest of the afternoon.
dhex2323: wow
dhex2323: that's sleepy
Shapermc: I also forgot to mention that Erem stole my laptop while he was grabbing his stuff, and I did not notice it until after I had drank an entire bottel of vodka and went to look up porn.
dhex2323: that's a key detail
Shapermc: Needless to say it was fucked up filing the police report at 17, drunk off my ass in a room that smelled like beer, pot, and smoke
Shapermc: a dorm room even
dhex2323: i would imagine

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I’m even a bit jealous of your story, actually.

This makes us even then. I feel that way after reading most of your articles.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here at the Gamer's Quarter were all cutting edge (ha-ha).

And I'm also not a whatever trendy attention grabbing technical term they use for people that enjoy cutting themselves now and then.

It's just that about three times in my life I've felt emotionally compelled to gash myself. I guess I just wanted to be like Basara from Samurai Showdown III.

And, well, yours is a story that needs to be told. We are after all NGJ. If you want my advice, and I doubt that you do, then I'd say flesh out the details of playing FFVII with Erem, bring up the Tekken story you told to dhex, insert a few videogame references, and print it in the next issue of TGQ, our readers would love you for it.

Last edited by seryogin on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
And, well, yours is a story that needs to be told. We are after all NGJ. If you want my advice, and I doubt that you do, then I'd say flesh out the details of playing FFVII with Erem, bring up the Tekken story you told to dhex, insert a few videogame references, and print it in the next issue of TGQ, our readers would love you for it.

I don't have the balls to expose myself like that. Which is why I envy you a little.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
seryogin wrote:

I don't have the balls to expose myself like that. Which is why I envy you a little.

Ehh...why not? It's not like you have anything better to do with your past. You're not going to get it back, might as well do something fun with it...Have you read the novel I sent you? I come off looking like a complete villain throughout most of it, because, frankly, I'm a villain in real life. Not even a particularly good one... like a campus flasher, I reveal my soul to the people of the internet hoping that maybe one of them might be inspired.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Have you read the novel I sent you? I come off looking like a complete villain throughout most of it, because, frankly, I'm a villain in real life. Not even a particularly good one... like a campus flasher, I reveal my soul to the people of the internet hoping that maybe one of them might be inspired.
Unfortunatly I have not. I intend to, I just have not been reading much (recreationally) lately. I have a huge stack of stuff (even manga which I can knock out in a short evening usually) to read. It will be done. I also need to print it , which will inspire me to read it it even more.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
seryogin wrote:
Have you read the novel I sent you? I come off looking like a complete villain throughout most of it, because, frankly, I'm a villain in real life. Not even a particularly good one... like a campus flasher, I reveal my soul to the people of the internet hoping that maybe one of them might be inspired.
Unfortunatly I have not. I intend to, I just have not been reading much (recreationally) lately. I have a huge stack of stuff (even manga which I can knock out in a short evening usually) to read. It will be done. I also need to print it , which will inspire me to read it it even more.

Take your time, Shapes; it may be worth it. If anything, dhex liked it. And that's not something you should sneeze at.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Well, here at the Gamer's Quarter were all cutting edge (ha-ha).

i'm simultaneously groaning and cringing.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody needs to hit the puns, with Toups being absent all the time.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Rumblefish, you're tale reminded me of a quote from Martin Eden:

"[her name] It was a talisman, a magic word to conjure with. Each time he murmured it, her face shimmered before him, suffusing the foul wall with a golden radiance. This radiance did not stop at the wall. It extended on into infinity, and through its golden depths his soul went questing after hers. The best that was in him was pouring out in a spending flood. The very thought of her ennobled and purified him, made him better, and made him want to be better."

And, well, I hope things get better.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I have not read anything by Marin Eden, but those words hit home. Thanks.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumble, your post made me feel unnervingly nostalgic.

I've been with the same woman for 10+ years now (we've known each other for 15). We've broken up once (it lasted 4 days) and it used to be that way, that there was something between us, only in our case it's because we'd never really learned to talk to each other. We cared, we just didn't know how to be selfish and not be guilty about it. For a long time, the relationship felt like when you're coming down from acid, when everything seems dirty and you're being pushed along by something that you can't comprehend.

Or the feeling that you've just fucked something up and you can't do anything about it. Lying or not telling someone how you really feel seems to be the main ways to create this situation. It's the latter that's really damaging, where you either don't trust the other person to be able to listen to you and either you wind up feeling like you can't tell them or worse, you never realize that you could tell them.

I do think that that's an important part of a relationship, is realizing that you need to be selfish and that the other person needs to be selfish and then comprimising and working on things from there. It's like I said to Toups once, when he said that he's looking for a girl that he could sit in silence with, that the tough part is not the silences, it's when you're both tired and cold and somebody has to go out and get groceries or clean the litterbox or do laundry.

It feels like a lie to say that we've been together so long. We've really only had this current relationship for 4 years. We both had so much to learn and I can't say that the process is over or that it will ever be over. We're getting married in August; and I almost feel like apologizing for it. Keep the faith.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
For a long time, the relationship felt like when you're coming down from acid, when everything seems dirty and you're being pushed along by something that you can't comprehend.

We're getting married in August; and I almost feel like apologizing for it. Keep the faith.

Did you spine always hurt too?!

Also, congrats! Good luck with the wedding.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Did you spine always hurt too?!

I never had the spine thing, just the spectacular amounts of gas. Nobody perpares you for that, or at least nobody warned me.

The relationship actually was impacted by acid-eating twice. The first time was when I was when I dropped acid the day I was moving out of my house. We weren't living together at the time; we were supposed to share a moving van though. I managed to pack all my stuff myself without breaking anything, although my housemate had to come in and make me stop dropping my books to make the floor ripple.

The second time involved my dealing with stress by taking 3 sugarcubes dropped with liquid. This was fairly stupid in and of itself, it was made stupider by the fact that the cubes had been double-dropped except for one which had been triple-dropped.

Highlights involved: screaming about genitalia and waste products, screaming about aliens, running across highways, crawling through barbed-wire fences and going on a 4-hour out-of-body experience. And looking back on it, I can say that 90% of the badness came out of how our relationship was fucked up and our inability to deal with it (the other 10% came from how badly I was fucking up the rest of my life). Also definitely the most astoundingly stupid thing(s) I've done, ever.

Comedic aside: I came out of the out-of-body experience (in which I was a time-travelling physically-transcended revolutionary freeing the human race from 4-dimensional facists) by asking my friends, completely seriously: "What year is it?"

Quote:
Also, congrats! Good luck with the wedding.

Thanks! We'll probably need it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Highlights involved: [...] running across highways[...]

Comedic aside: I came out of the out-of-body experience (in which I was a time-travelling physically-transcended revolutionary freeing the human race from 4-dimensional facists) by asking my friends, completely seriously: "What year is it?"

Why does that always seem like a good idea? I ran across 8 lanes of highway once (4 each direction) then when I got to the other side all of my friends (all 2 of them) had this look on their face like they had seen a ghost. I guess that I almost caused no less than 3 accidents and decided to stroll at one point making a car come to a screeching hault. (I had to be told the next day, I just remember asking "what? What?" and getting no reply.) The speed limit was 65.

Comic Aside: I had a very similar experience where I thought that everything in my life was just set up for me: my parents, my friends, the college, the city, the world. I was finally being told by ... spirits? ... something, that this was the case. I was then being led across a giant spacescape to what my new home would be. I was just floating along following these other forms. I had no body. Then I must have started to come down hard as I realised that I had to take a piss: bad. You aparently still have a body if this is the case. I woke up to find myself under my bed and have no idea how I got there. It was pretty low to the ground and took me quite a while to get out.

so yea.

friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
so yea.

Huh. All I ever got out of it was a kick-ass trip to the detergent section of the supermarket, where I commented loudly and often about how fucking beautiful the colors are on soap packaging. Oh, and laughing crazily while my friend played the 'body falling down stairs' track off of his sound effect record.

Ah, it's a strange world.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a long time, the relationship felt like when you're coming down from acid, when everything seems dirty and you're being pushed along by something that you can't comprehend.

how apt.

i think for some people the biggest problem is the whole notion of finding the one, or whatever. on one level that one you find is a product of time and circumstance.

there's a very good english rendition of the story of shiva and sati that touches on this, translated by hans zimmer in his "the king and the corpse" collection.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i think for some people the biggest problem is the whole notion of finding the one, or whatever. on one level that one you find is a product of time and circumstance.

I love Tyler Cowen's post on modal wives.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Rumble, your post made me feel unnervingly nostalgic.

Or the feeling that you've just fucked something up and you can't do anything about it. Lying or not telling someone how you really feel seems to be the main ways to create this situation. It's the latter that's really damaging, where you either don't trust the other person to be able to listen to you and either you wind up feeling like you can't tell them or worse, you never realize that you could tell them.

I do think that that's an important part of a relationship, is realizing that you need to be selfish and that the other person needs to be selfish and then comprimising and working on things from there. It's like I said to Toups once, when he said that he's looking for a girl that he could sit in silence with, that the tough part is not the silences, it's when you're both tired and cold and somebody has to go out and get groceries or clean the litterbox or do laundry.

It feels like a lie to say that we've been together so long. We've really only had this current relationship for 4 years. We both had so much to learn and I can't say that the process is over or that it will ever be over. We're getting married in August; and I almost feel like apologizing for it. Keep the faith.

I have to agree with that. You've said what I really could never voice except in writing, or just sitting there and wondering where things went wrong. The things that we don't know about each other and our feelings can be overwhelming sometimes. However, the faith and the truth behind it all, the real feelings is what makes it all worth while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in and say, yeah. That was an incredible story, Shaper.

It makes me wonder: Is vunerability an integral part of NGJ?
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really vulnerability though? I consider vulnerability to be an essential facet of the human condition. If a person is in a true romantic relationship, that's when they're usually at their most vulnerable. When you really think about it, it's a pretty ridiculous catch-22: you're leaving your defences wide open to what could be the most devastating enemy of all. When the gamble pays off--i.e. you get married--you feel like a million bucks for pulling it off, but if things fall apart, the result can be totally devastating. And afterwards, it's far too easy to just close oneself off, to wall away that vulnerability in order to not take the chance of getting hurt again. Those who manage to keep themselves open, and succeed in spite of the past--well, there are fewer things more admirable or inspiring. I mean, happily married for 5 and a half years? That's pretty amazing, Shaper, considering what happened. I know I would be utterly unviable as any sort of relationship material if I had to deal with something like you did--I'm just tenuously bearable as is. I admire your honesty in being able to talk about the experience! All of the narratives in this thread, in fact are inspiring in their honesty, and the ordeals that people have gone through. It makes what I thought was my horrible relationship story seem positively petty in light of most of the tales here.

And, uh, just disregard me if any of that came off as stupid, pointless babble.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really do think part of the problem is the idea that there's a final destination for any relationship in order for it to be "good." sometimes thing aren't "meant to be"; sometimes long term partnership isn't viable, or at least not in the normal sense.

one of the most emotionally healthy relationships in my life lasted one evening. shit, i owe a lot more to her than i did to the next two girlfriends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: