The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Quest VIII: Note the Box Art
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Dragon Quest VIII: Note the Box Art Reply with quote

I don't mean to be inflammatory, but it's true. I only spent a couple of hours with Dragon Quest VIII, and I love it. Wait, scratch that; I love how it looks, how it sounds – in both these areas the game really excels. I was ten minutes in before exclaiming to my wife matter-of-factly, "This game looks better than anything on the new Xbox!" It's true; finally, a game that dares to be stylistic, to eschew photorealism for something much more interesting. Similarly, the sound is delightful. "Oh, thank god," my wife said, "it's an RPG without bad techno." I'm sure, somewhere, her copy of Star Ocean 3 hid its head in shame. "I could actually listen to this all day," she said of the DQVIII's wonderful orchestral score.

Then I got to playing. It's not like I didn't know what was coming; I just was naïve enough to think it wouldn't matter. Random battles (strike one); the classic "start off with nothing and slowly claw your way to the point in the game where it's enjoyable" premise (strike two); the need to level-grind just to progress, even a little (strike three). I'm sure many of you will have no issue with any of this, and that's fine. But personally, I'd love to play a game as epic as DQVIII, but it doesn't want me to. I know this is obvious; I know the game wasn't made for people like me. It was made for Dragon Quest Fans, millions of whom wait in line every few years to play the same game they've been playing since 1986. That's my issue here, however. With all the talk lately of expanding the market, of making games for people who don't play games, or have become turned off of them, this feels like such a huge step backwards. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.

I really feel that RPGs as a genre need to die. They don't have to die and go away forever, but they do need to undergo a time-out of sorts. Almost everything involved in a traditional RPG is a contrivance; every gameplay element is a hold-over from 8-bit days, which in turn were hold-overs from pen-and-paper games. Just as we complain that Zelda games need to stop being Zelda games, and evolve, RPGs need to rethink what they are meant to acheive, and ask themselves: with all this next-gen, high-def, power, why are we still 8-bit games with pretty skins?

Anyway, I hope to play some more and find myself loving the game despite itself, but I don't know. When I play I get this itch like I just could be doing something, anything else. And that's not how a game should make you feel, is it?
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon Quest VIII: Note the Box Art Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
(strike two); the need to level-grind just to progress, even a little.

isnt that how life is?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a grind if you're trying to get somewhere.

You're right about RPGs needing to die, though. That's been a long time coming. Dragon Quest still manages to get by with the way it is because, well, because it's Dragon Quest and it knows what it wants to be.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uh.

I mean, have you read Tim's review of it?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:

You're right about RPGs needing to die, though. That's been a long time coming. Dragon Quest still manages to get by with the way it is because, well, because it's Dragon Quest and it knows what it wants to be.

In other words, it's better because it knows it doesn't have to try to be anything more than a Dragon Quest ripoff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I just don't think you can throw out a statement like the one above without explaining it at all.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking all RPGs, or just JRPGs?

I don't think I could go on living without my yearly Fallout session (the first one, although 2 is much better). Or System Shock/Dues Ex.

I don't remember grindig in a Final Fantasy until 5, then again in 7. Dragon Quest was solid up to 5. 5 was the shizzy, yo, for reals.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

In other words, it's better because it knows it doesn't have to try to be anything more than a Dragon Quest ripoff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I just don't think you can throw out a statement like the one above without explaining it at all.

-Wes

What is there to explain? You do a good enough job in your first sentence there.

I mean, the gameplay stuff is pretty much nailed down, no need to mess with any of that, right? It keeps it simple so it doesn't get in the way as much as other games, and leaves all the room for telling the story and putting these characters in this world. That's how pretty much all the games have been since the fourth or fifth one.

It's a conservative series, gameplay-wise, sure, but the story is alive. And, I mean, that's why we played RPGs in the first place, wasn't it? Because we liked hearing stories about slaying dragons, both literal and figurative.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying playing Digital Devil Saga 2 more than Dragon Quest VIII. But yeah, JRPGs need to do something else with their overly formulaic structure.

And i will continue this thought later!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing Final Fantasy IV. Now there's a game that knows what it wants to be. I started on Christmas Eve and I'm already at the underground dwarves' castle. I'm remembering why it was once one of my favorite games. Actually, I think this replay officially moves it back into the top five.

Final Fantasy IV is the game that convinced me that I like me RPGs in the first place and playing again is reminding me why I don't really play them anymore. It's so much better than anything anyone has done since that it just seems kind of pointless to keep bringing them out.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the third "mission" (I guess you would call it a mission) I have not needed to level grind at all. I find that I am over leveled most of the time because of the ammount of exploring I end up doing. Anyways, it is not that bad, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I generally don't like RPGs much at all.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've been playing Final Fantasy IV. Now there's a game that knows what it wants to be. I started on Christmas Eve and I'm already at the underground dwarves' castle.

You say that as if you're making good time. That is a one-day RPG if there has ever been one. Perfectly suited for FFDogging.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to understand that my first time through took around 6 months. I've always got other stuff to do than play games. Yeah, so what if that usually boils down to playing other games Smile

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I uh.

I did, though I don't remember any of it. Why?

SuperWes wrote:
I've been playing Final Fantasy IV. Now there's a game that knows what it wants to be. I started on Christmas Eve and I'm already at the underground dwarves' castle. I'm remembering why it was once one of my favorite games. Actually, I think this replay officially moves it back into the top five.

Final Fantasy IV is the game that convinced me that I like me RPGs in the first place and playing again is reminding me why I don't really play them anymore. It's so much better than anything anyone has done since that it just seems kind of pointless to keep bringing them out.

-Wes

Um, word. I feel the same way; though I found FFIV tedious in points (again, I hate level-grinding), it was just so concise and focused. I just feel like with FFIV, the pinnacle of classic JRPGs was reached. Time to move on.

Shaper, I will trust you on DQVIII and play it a bit more. With any luck it will pick up. If not, I'll just watch my wife play, like I end up doing with all RPGs...
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:
I uh.

I did, though I don't remember any of it. Why?

Well, I mean, he does a good job justifying the gameplay being identical to the first game.
xvs07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Lestrade on this one, heart and soul. Gameplay within various genres has seen advancements with better hardware, but (J)RPGs are still back in 198X. Because there is no solution. And they need to die and be cryo'd for twelve years.

Really, honestly, aren't we at the point yet where we could have action-based epics just as epic as the better Final Fantasies? Could we take the Half-Life 2 engine and yoke it into service for a realtime, multipath roleplay? RPGs don't need to die so much as have their best bits incorporated into cross-genre and non-genre stuff. Big, sprawling environs teeming with life and discoveries in waiting should be the norm in any character-oriented game. If I'm going to need to grind, make it fun, make it part of the plot (not levelling, "training"), and make it require skill so that I can have a greater variance of risk and reward in accordance with my abilities. The Paper Marios did pretty good with the principle, but it could go further. Also, character development needs to happen whenever there's a character, 'cause otherwise I'll get bored and move on to something with personality. Like a book.

Mrr. Anyway. Guess I'd better keep studying the C++..
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there's no point in making an RPG require 'skill', in the sense that you mean. That it doesn't is pretty much the whole idea.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:required mention of how Nippon Ichi is infusing the genre with new life here:
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in Digital Devil Saga 2, I just killed Michael.
As in the Archangel, God's right hand angel man.

I love Megaten games.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade: what I think you are looking for is an RPG-adventure title, with the emphasis on the adventure elements, solving puzzles, interacting in a well-thought out world, the feeling of having some influence in the gameworld. Lets be honest now, all these RPGs are adventure games with added random battles.

It seems to me that the ideas behind Shenmue are slowly evolving into something -great- among a variety of different games.http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2005/12/ryu_ga_gotoku_adult_situations_1.php

(p.s have you looked at Broken Sword: the Sleeping Dragon?)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Shaper, I will trust you on DQVIII and play it a bit more. With any luck it will pick up. If not, I'll just watch my wife play, like I end up doing with all RPGs...

My other recomendation is to explore as much as you want, don't worry so much about getting from point a to point b only to get item X.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to look at it: Dragon Quest wasn't really much of a videogame -- every other JRPG that followed it screwed up by trying to be a videogame.

So, if you expect Dragon Quest titles to be videogames in the way other RPG's try to be, you will be disappointed.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Another way to look at it: Dragon Quest wasn't really much of a videogame -- every other JRPG that followed it screwed up by trying to be a videogame.

So, if you expect Dragon Quest titles to be videogames in the way other RPG's try to be, you will be disappointed.

I have to admit, I don't follow you at all here.

In response to everyone: in general, I play games not as someone who likes to be "good" at games (well, except in fighting games, I suppose), but for... I don't know what. The emotional aspect of it, I guess. The thrill of exploration is one aspect of this. But to me, "exploration" doesn't equal "random battle." In fact, it doesn't necessarily equal fighting at all.

The moments I love in sprawling games like Dragon Quest are the ones where you come to the the crest of a hill, only to see a huge, gorgeous valley below you. I could care less about the fetch quests or the battles. I like roaming through forests to see the light filter through the trees, climbing tall hillsides for that spectacular view, marvelling at some ancient structure built into the side of a mountain.

I like not to be told that this is a wondrous, fantastic place, but to feel it. And, importantly, to be left alone long enough to get a chance to do so.

I guess I'm more interested in the "being" part, rather than the "doing" part. Shadow of the Colossus was, for me, a fantastic balance of both. You've got one specific thing to do; the rest is the "being" part of it. I loved every minute, because it let me do all the things I mentioned above, without any of the game "systems" that so many JRPGs describe on their web sites to get in my way.

Think of it this way: I suppose games like DQVIII reward you in turn: the more you put into the game – by way of time, battling, etc. – the more you get out of it.

This is the point where Shaper phoned me and I sort of got drunk while doing some work for him. If the rest of this post makes less sense than the above, forgive me.

Your... jeez, I dunno... temporal, technical investments are rewarded in games like this; with better stats, bigger items, etc. Your commitment to the very tangible numbers in the game are rewarded with equally numeric data, which you can show off to friends or random people on the internet.

But what about emotional investment? That's what I put into a game, whether I realize or not. This is what I crave, and what I least get in return.

Again, using Shadow of the Colossus as an example: I was very much emotionally invested in that game, and I found that (for once) I was awarded appropriately, with huge, brooding landscapes, an eerie soundtrack, and an atmosphere that made me doubt what I was doing; made me think about what I was doing. I found that very intellectually and emotionally satisfying. (It didn't TELL me to think this through dialogue; it trusted that I would, through visual and aural and gameplay-specific clues.) The game gave me enough to let my imagination soar, and because of this I love the game dearly. It let me approach it on my own terms, like a lot of old 8-bit games did (though their rudimentary technology is the reason for this).

It's like what we've discussed before: that space between the notes, that intangible reaction that games like Ico and Silent Hill 2 so effectively manipulate. It's not a cutscene, a scripted sequence, a boss battle. It's... well, it's nothing. Ninety percent of a game's intended audience may never "get it," but some of us might connect with a game in a particular way, and grasp a meaning that isn't apparent if you just aren't receptive to these sorts of things. (Or if that's not what you're looking for in a game, which is perfectly fine.)

It's like Scott McCloud said of comics: the more iconic the character, the greater potential audience who can relate to that character, because in the absence of detail, we put our own ideas into these icons. Similarly, in games, the more we force a game through elaborate gameplay systems (the very linear need to level-up, the economy required to purchase weapons and armour, etc.), the less left to the player's imagination, and the less (I believe) the player can emotionally fill in the blanks and really connect at a deep level.

So, yes, when I play an RPG, what I really want is a fantasy-themed adventure game. I want a sparse interface, no inventory, no numbers, that sort of thing. I want to soak the world in like a sponge, and I don't want to be interrupted by 1986-era random battles or arbitrary fetch quests. If I talk to someone and they want me to slay a dragon, fine. But please give me some options other than "ensure you're at level 70 or higher before you enter the final dungeon." Let me forego the dungeon altogether, and perhaps scale the mountain on top of it, finding my way to the other side, where I can get a better shot at the dragon's weak spot. Or something.

Or, Szczepaniak's "RPG Without Saves," I guess.

Anyway, I have to stop drinking now, which means I have to stop writing. I hope this was at least entertaining, if not terribly interesting...
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Toups was getting at, Lestrade, was that at the time Dragon Quest came out it wasn't really trying to be an RPG as we think of them today. It was trying to be a game that let you in on the experience of feeling yourself grow (in more sense than the obvious) enough to take on the real challenges at the end. All the random battles, the stat numbers, etc. were all just placeholders because we lacked the technology to really realize a vision like that in the most literal sense possible. That Dragon Quest became the "standard" for the genre really says more about the inclusive, incestuous nature of the videogame industry than the actual game itself, I think. Rather than build on those base elements it laid out most developers sought to just make things more complicated for the player. Give them more widgets to fiddle with, more stuff to do. More random battles, more stat numbers, etc.

Not to flog a dead horse but let's look at the Zelda series here. The first Zelda game was about trying to capture a single experience much like how the first Dragon Quest was, except in this case it was the experience of wandering about in the woods and exploring the world around you than making an epic journey involving personal growth. Barring a few exceptions like Link's Awakening and The Adventure of Link each new game in the series just tried to complicate matters by honing the arbitrary systems that were in place because of the weaker technology. That it finally took a game like Shadow of the Colossus to come out and make people think about these things says a lot about how we as gamers view our hobby. In this light it's not surprising that Colossus feels more like Zelda than most modern Zeldas do.

I guess what I'm saying is that Dragon Quest needs a game that does for it what Shadow of the Colossus did for Zelda.

That Dragon Quest games remain mostly unchanged in the gameplay department is either good or bad depending on how you want to look at it. On the one hand it's kind of annoying to see that random battles are still present in this day and age, but on the other it's interesting to see how refined everything has gotten. The arbitrary placeholder elements have been fine tuned to the point where they're really not that bothersome if you're a patient type of person. The games still instill that sense of exploration in me as I round hillsides searching for treasure chests or just to see what kind of monsters exist in that area. It still manages to restrict the player in a natural feeling way by keeping enemy stats constant throughout the game world. Sometimes it's just fun to see how far you can explore the countryside before you're forced to turn back and regroup at the nearest town. And when you've finally made enough to afford better weapons and equipment there really is a sense of accomplishment over your environment. Enemies that gave you trouble earlier are now pushovers, paving the way for more unexplored vistas and areas teeming with new people to meet, new things to see.

I'll agree that the placeholder systems (as I have now taken to calling them) such as the random battle element are what's really holding the genre as a whole back. Yet Dragon Quest manages to make it livable enough to give you a glimpse of what may someday be. I guess the best we can all do is cross our fingers and hope that the Fumito Ueda of RPGs is out there somewhere working on his vision of the distilled RPG experience.

Until then, well, there's always Dragon Quest.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is that Dragon Quest needs a game that does for it what Shadow of the Colossus did for Zelda.

Well said. Everything, I mean; not just this excerpt.

Lestrade wrote:
Anyway, I have to stop drinking now, which means I have to stop writing.

I don't even remember writing this; I think it's the funniest thing I've ever typed out.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
Anyway, I have to stop drinking now, which means I have to stop writing.

I don't even remember writing this; I think it's the funniest thing I've ever typed out.

It was pretty good, I thought. I mean, it spurred me to write that post I did just now.

Not to aggrandize myself or anything.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to change the topic, but while reading this stuff I decided that Shadow of the Colossus rewards us with the intangible (usually seeing a new piece of architecture, ponderings on what the secret is, etc.), where almost all other games attempt to reward us with the tangible (Bigger numbers, unlockables, plot twists). Intangible reward is what really sets the good games apart from the average ones.

Dragon Quest leans highly toward the tangible, but there's a certain amount of intangible there, such as "is there a tresure chest over that hill?" "How does the shopkeeper get into their shop? Oh, there it is." etc.

Another good example would be SSX On Tour vs. SSX 3.

SSX 3 was very free roaming. You would start at the top of the hill and go down to the bottom, hitting various events on the way down. You got rewarded for winning any of the events you hit, but if you didn't win any of the events you would still continue on down the hill only to be given the intangible reward of planning which route you were going to take the next time down the hill.

SSX On Tour takes away the free roaming aspect. You choose an event, do the event, get rewarded or don't, and start the process over again. The only intangible reward is that of getting better if you happened to lose an event the first time and beat it after subsequent tries.

Then again, this could also be me trying to find meaning where none existed, which is possible. It's late and I'm thirsty. Someone try to sort this out for me.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Not to change the topic, but while reading this stuff I decided that Shadow of the Colossus rewards us with the intangible (usually seeing a new piece of architecture, ponderings on what the secret is, etc.), where almost all other games attempt to reward us with the tangible (Bigger numbers, unlockables, plot twists). Intangible reward is what really sets the good games apart from the average ones.

Dragon Quest leans highly toward the tangible, but there's a certain amount of intangible there, such as "is there a tresure chest over that hill?" "How does the shopkeeper get into their shop? Oh, there it is." etc.

Another good example would be SSX On Tour vs. SSX 3.

SSX 3 was very free roaming. You would start at the top of the hill and go down to the bottom, hitting various events on the way down. You got rewarded for winning any of the events you hit, but if you didn't win any of the events you would still continue on down the hill only to be given the intangible reward of planning which route you were going to take the next time down the hill.

SSX On Tour takes away the free roaming aspect. You choose an event, do the event, get rewarded or don't, and start the process over again. The only intangible reward is that of getting better if you happened to lose an event the first time and beat it after subsequent tries.

Then again, this could also be me trying to find meaning where none existed, which is possible. It's late and I'm thirsty. Someone try to sort this out for me.

-Wes

so.. what you are saying is that good games answer questions with questions?
Ketch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a game that rewards 'wisdom' ie. the better you are at the game, the less random battles you get into because you learn how to avoid being detected by monsters, and so you only fight the real baddies, and even then the better way is to use brains (puzzles) or words rather than fight.

Ie.(If at the end of the game) You have fought a thousand monsters you are a rat-slayer.Fight only Hundred and you are a brawler. Fight ten and you are a hero (assassin?). Persuade the key-characters to change their minds and stop fighting and you are a Wiseman (Gandalf?).

This would be a game where it would pay to do some research rather than just rush into battle (fools rush in!), and where you could use your knowledge to play it better each time.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that's Metal Gear.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Sketchpanik's RPG with no saves too!

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
The game gave me enough to let my imagination soar, and because of this I love the game dearly. It let me approach it on my own terms, like a lot of old 8-bit games did (though their rudimentary technology is the reason for this).

Yea, we talked about this with Metroid recently. Very true stuff too.
Lestrade wrote:
But what about emotional investment? That's what I put into a game, whether I realize or not. This is what I crave, and what I least get in return.

Have you played Morrowind? Because, that is just what happen to me in Morrowind. I got out just what I put in. All of my silly quests that I elected to do were because I wanted to be the Archmage of the island, not becuase Jane wanted me to. Every person that I killed helped me advance either monitarily or positional. Every creature I killed was becasue I hunted them for sport or to survive. I made the game my game. If you don't want to do this you will not like morrowind.
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

This is where I get to play Toups and say Lost in Blue. He's right too. Everything that you do and find feels like an achievement that you earned. Ultimatly it is a role playing game without stats and random battles.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

You summed up my feelings exactly. There are many parellels in film to support this idea, i.e. the most effective horror movies are the ones in which you never truly see the antagonist/monster/what-have-you; a death off-camera can be more disturbing and impactful than one shown full-frame, etc.

One of my favourite bits in SotC is the secret garden. You can get there if you put in the effort, and though going there has no effect on the game, you do it for the sake of discovery itself. The reward for finding the secret garden is the journey you took to get there. There's no ultimate materia or anything of the sort; just a beautiful view and the knowledge that you bothered to get there in the first place.

Ketch wrote:
How about a game that rewards 'wisdom' ie. the better you are at the game, the less random battles you get into because you learn how to avoid being detected by monsters, and so you only fight the real baddies, and even then the better way is to use brains (puzzles) or words rather than fight.

Ie.(If at the end of the game) You have fought a thousand monsters you are a rat-slayer.Fight only Hundred and you are a brawler. Fight ten and you are a hero (assassin?). Persuade the key-characters to change their minds and stop fighting and you are a Wiseman (Gandalf?).

This would be a game where it would pay to do some research rather than just rush into battle (fools rush in!), and where you could use your knowledge to play it better each time.

I love this idea. To me, this would be true character development in a game. By the end of an epic RPG, what seems more interesting: arriving at "Level 70," or becoming so good at the game, no enemy even noticies you?

dark steve wrote:
Dude, that's Metal Gear.

Yes, in a way I guess it is! Especially MGS3, where your thirst for blood (or not) affects your personal experience at one point.

Persona-sama wrote:
That's Sketchpanik's RPG with no saves too!

Yes; somebody give the man a budget and a development team! I'll design the packaging; you be chief character creator and conceptual artist. Deal?

Ketch's idea here really intrigues me, and reminds me of something: older, more rudimentary games (not even video games, necessarily), were usually narrow but deep. This means they were focused in their goals and mechanics (chess, Street Fighter), but gave you a wealth of options within these mechanics so there would be an actual game to play. They were games meant to be played, to be mastered. You can share strategies and tricks with others, or hoard them jealously so as to become a superior player.

Now we have games, like most JRPGs, that think they're like this, only they're quite the opposite. Games like this are wide but shallow. You can do a whole hell of a lot within their structure, but you're marching to the beat of the game all the way. There's no room for improvisation, and there certainly isn't any of that intangible mystery, because everything is spelled out for you, often in long, droning dialogue boxes. (I'm sort of conveniently overlooking battle mechanics here when I mention improvisation, because I'm thinking that complex "battle systems" are obsolete along these lines.) You're not really playing a game; rather, you're being led by the nose.

With certain developers hell-bent on revitalizing the industry, it is my sincere hope that we'll see a return to form — as we have with SotC — of games that are focused, narrow, and immensely deep. Shadow of the Colossus might not offer as much mechanical flexibility as, say, Street Fighter, but I believe it is deep, because it contains:

1) Tangible depth: by making the bosses the "level," so to speak, it is up to the player to find the best way to deal with them. There are often multiple ways of attacking a colossus once you get on them, and I find everyone has their own way of dealing with these encounters, even if the general path is similar. Again, it reminds me somewhat of Szczepaniak's idea, because, as someone put it, the key needed to progress through the game is knowledge;

2) Intangible depth: Through its vistas, its sparse fauna, and its mystery, the game really demands that the player paints his own picture in his imagination of what this place is and what it all means. It presents that icon onto which each of us can project something more interesting than another tired RPG cliché.

I don't usually like shooter games, because emotionally they don't do anything for me. However, I really appreciate their narrow/deep focus, and love reading about people who have bent the systems inherent in these games to do some incredible things. Somewhere along the line we declared that any game that wasn't as cut-and-dried as a shooter — any game with a "story" we want to tell — had to abandon this approach and make the "game" part of it an arbitrary collection of ultimately frustrating, and non-sensical, abstractions. You know, to make it a video game.

(Again, see Zelda.)

But I feel that games like SotC are proof-of-concept; evidence that you can have a game that both mechanically (tangibly) rewards and challenges a player, as well as emotionally (intangibly). A lot of people who weren't into SotC would scoff at the game by saying, "There's nothing to do," or, "There are only 16 bosses." They didn't quite get it, I think. If any good game rewards you for your effort, than SotC has done just a fine a job as any — the only difference here is that it's taking things like emotions and imagination and making them bullet points on the back of the box.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
it's taking things like emotions and imagination and making them bullet points on the back of the box.

Remind me of this when we're doing the cover for the next issue!

Good post by the way, but here's where I step in and say that I think you're moving away from Dragon Quest VIII in this topic. In your above post you mention that chess takes a simple concept and adds "rules" on top of it. Dragon Quest takes Dragon Quest 1 as its base and adds on top of it only less tangible things. What impresses me most about Dragon Quest VIII is that each town, each house, each shop, every mountain, everything is designed with a sense of realism and scale.

I didn't think about it until the third town, but did you notice that the towns are the same size on the overworld map as they are when you're actually inside of them? This to me is awesome. There's still that load time in between the overworld and the actual town, but it's a real place in the world instead of an icon. This is a big, important change.

Did you notice that every shop actually has a place for the shopkeeper to enter through? Sometimes it's a door, sometimes it's one of those slidey, swinging hinge thingys, and sometimes it's just an open air shop. Did you notice that when you talk to the shopkeepers from behind the counter they will tell you to go around to the other side? One time one of them actually told me he had a special "underground" deal for me for talking to him from somewhere other than the otehr side of the counter.

Isn't it cool that when you read sign posts from behind they actually say, "The sign is blank on this side," or something to that effect?

Dragon Quest VIII's biggest acheivement is that it takes all of the iconic stuff from the old games and changes them into real objects to create a world that actually feels like it would still exist if you weren't there.

And yeah, there are random battles, but I personally like watching how my characters develop. And I like that I actually have an input on what their main skills are without having to micromanage.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Dude, that's Metal Gear.

Yes, but,Tolkeinesque Fantasy Metal Gear!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

This is where I get to play Toups and say Lost in Blue. He's right too. Everything that you do and find feels like an achievement that you earned. Ultimatly it is a role playing game without stats and random battles.

Oh, that's right. Yeah. I need to get back to that game sometime. I found the bit I've played so far to be pretty interesting.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your main complaints? The use of innumerable, and often repetitive random battle systems.
Well, how about a "Shadow of the Colossus" type DQ, where instead of thousands of minor enemies you get several major "boss/dungeon" enemies, But where each battle poses a very different challenge?*
(I can't quite imagine how this would play).

Or one where all the increases that you get in stats / equipment are visible rather than numbers (Zelda?). Ie. You pick up the enemies weapons and use them as your own?
blah....
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the answer would be to distill the essence of the RPG down to the basics, instead of having (visibile numerical) Stats for Stamina, constitution etc, they would be "intuitable" you would see their effects in how your character moved and fought. (Kind of like GTA:SA).

You would need a different type of health system, maybe one like in King-Kong / Siren.
Constitution would be measured by how many consecutive hits you could take before passing out. Defence would be shown by how good you were at dodging (weak) attacks automatically.

Maybe what would be needed is to have it so that instead of direct control over the character you would have indirect control over tactics, and just see how well they fight (as you do now).* yes, I know that that is sort of what we already have in the "turn-based" games like Final Fantasy but what if instead of seeing numbers you saw the characters sparring and hitting / missing instead. The better your character's stats, the "cooler" the fighting style they would be able to use* and the more attacks they could string together into combos.

*The problem with most videogames at the moment is that they are about teenage visions of coolness.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
*The problem with most videogames at the moment is that their creators haven't gotten past teenage visions of coolness.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Holy fucking shit, I FINALLY got this post to... well, post! I actually had to use Internet Explorer 5.2 on OS X, which is like touching your naked grandmother when she's dead. But at least it worked. Please keep in mind that this response was written on January 2nd.

This is all very exciting.

Though I always prefer direct control to indirect (to me, moving a character feels like activity; using menus feels like management), I think all these ideas are valid.

Instead of the same rags-to-riches scenario, where you start the game as a lowly beggar/captive/teenager/slave and must spend at least three hours before the game becomes remotely interesting or fun (another rant), why not remove this initial learning curve by removing the money system (and coming up with an original plot, while we're at it)? While this sounds like a thinly veiled plea for communism, what I mean is: buying items shouldn't be the primary method of increasing your armament.

I would like opportunities to find items or earn them in other ways (just as I would like battles to be more interesting than constant, random encounters): through challenges, or through more sophisticated experience-based means. Say that somebody tells you about weapons dealers that are constantly seen sneaking their wares through the woods to avoid tariffs and whatnot. Perhaps they only do this at night. Since you have a vague idea of previous sightings, you could go out at night and hope to waylay them. Maybe the game's scripted to let the dealers rest at some point during their smuggle, and you can use that opportunity to Metal-Gear your way onto their cart. If you haven't been spotted, there is a small selection of weapons from which you can choose one (see below). If you're spotted while fishing around (while in the cart), you get a random weapon since you don't have time to choose before taking off. Only when you're in the clear does the game tell you what you stole.

Along with this, I think more RPGs should have limited inventories in the vein of either Halo or Resident Evil (Halo is obviously the more strict). Health items would not even exist, perhaps, because to heal, all you need is time.

In SoTC, you have to rest (crouch) to heal slowly, but you can do that whenever you like. Maybe in this game (Alternate Dimension Dragon Quest), there would be a similarly-time-lapsed period wherein you would heal. If you rest for several seconds, you'll grow strong enough to cure most light wounds. If you're very badly injured, you'd have to find a safe place to hide/rest. Perhaps you could hit a "heal" button, which would initiate an animation of you patching yourself up, and a meter that fills to demonstrate your progress.

I guess the point is to remove the need to fish through menus for healing potions, to fight myriad random battles for the sake of buying potions so you can finally attempt the next dungeon. To remove tedium.

With this in mind, I'd like to be restricted to carrying only two weapons at a time (or only one if it's large, like a halberd). As in SotC and Halo, you're forced to work with what you have, and customization comes not through, say, fitting weapons with Materia (although something of the sort might add some interest), but in how you adapt to your limited arsenal.

Similar to what Ketch wrote, if there are hordes of roaming baddies, I think they should all exist as sort of mini-mini-boss encounters of some kind. Who wants to fight thirty meaningless random battles an hour, when you could have two or three really good skirmishes? Overtake a hill and you see a small encampment; sneak past if you want, but without honing your skills in battle, you won't do so well in direct combat against the boss creatures because your (hidden) agility, strength, and constitution stats won't improve.

If you decide to fight (essentially you're raiding, which evokes some interesting moral threads), your limited arsenal becomes important. Do you charge in with your sword? Pick off the sleeping ones with a bow?

In a way, this forced limitation makes you give yourself a "class" of sorts, as you discover tactics that you like best. It allows customization — not in the abstract, menu-driven way of classic JPRGs, but through actual play. Just as people find new ways to play GTA (or Geometry Wars, or Mario, etc.), so you could carve a name for yourself here.

Even deeper: if you are constantly fighting, word gets out that you're the above-mentioned teenage pinnacle of "coolness." So you get attacked more. If you remain passive, or only attack enemies when they're alone, you can act more like a classic rogue and avoid encounters while completing your tasks. You'd have to find different ways to beat the big guys, though; perhaps with myriad (subtle) environmental dangers or artefacts.

The goal in such a game is to completely remove, or attempt to remove, the age-old abstractions and placeholders in RPGs, and replace them with a much more natural world that you can inhabit and manipulate, as one might manipulate the particular physics and trick systems of, say, a Tony Hawk game.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
[b]
I guess the point is to remove the need to fish through menus for healing potions, to fight myriad random battles for the sake of buying potions so you can finally attempt the next dungeon.

The goal in such a game is to completely remove, or attempt to remove, the age-old abstractions and placeholders in RPGs, and replace them with a much more natural world that you can inhabit and manipulate, as one might manipulate the particular physics and trick systems of, say, a Tony Hawk game.

Now if you want to get to the essence of these old-school J-RPGS they amount to a process of increasing the amount of time your character can spend "out in the wild" without having to stop at a town/hotel/campsite etc to recharge your batteries and magically heal your wounds. So this would be one of the main things to focus on, imagine if there were lots of hidden ways to recharge your character's health and increase their toughness and as you play you the player learn how to spot these things (a bit like MGS3). So there would be magical herbs and fruit that could increase your stamina/health, you would be able to spot safer places to sleep in (up trees, in abandoned caves etc). It Could be a mixture of player knowledge (and arbitrary levelling, where as you get more powerful you get more benefit from certain healing methods). So it would play a bit like Sczeps's Grand Quest.

It would be cool to be able to play the game better by being more observant.
DQIX: Green Herb Eater!

Edit: It would also be good to see them borrow the "weak enemies run away / are defeated on contact system" from Mother 2 (Earthbound).

P.s: It would be good to see your character evolve visually and become stronger (Fable?). What would be awesome too, would be to have more powerful pets/allies as you go along. Ie. You start off riding a horse, but by the end of the game you have a Huge dragon that allows you to fly to new areas, and is a formidable fighting ally.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
P.s: It would be good to see your character evolve visually and become stronger (Fable?). What would be awesome too, would be to have more powerful pets/allies as you go along. Ie. You start off riding a horse, but by the end of the game you have a Huge dragon that allows you to fly to new areas, and is a formidable fighting ally.

In Dragon Quest V, you start off with a Slime (well, five or so hours in) and you end with the Dragon of the World. And a Slime.

I'd like to implement some of Lestrade's ideas into a game. A 2d game, in fact. A 2d RPG game.

Whenever I read game ideas, I always wonder, "how could I implement this in a 2d game?" Abstraction upon simplification upon abstraction!

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
In Dragon Quest V, you start off with a Slime (well, five or so hours in) and you end with the Dragon of the World. And a Slime.

i have a slime knight named pierre.

i should get back to that game at some point.
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Slalin, Pierre, and Puckle are waiting for me to go and lay that last slash on the final boss.

But... I just somehow can't find the heart to end it all.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I'd like to implement some of Lestrade's ideas into a game. A 2d game, in fact. A 2d RPG game.

Whenever I read game ideas, I always wonder, "how could I implement this in a 2d game?" Abstraction upon simplification upon abstraction!

Castlevania 2? That game, when I was younger, always made me feel like I was really trudging through the badass wilderness, with barely a clue. I love its backgrounds.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, your ideas sound absolutely wonderful.

None of them belong in a Dragon Quest game.

I think DQVIII's biggest mistake is failing to conform to tradition. The flashy battle animations always end up adding a few seconds longer than are needed, and I had all kinds of trouble going into a(n overly detailed) menu that was not mapped to the X button. Tradition is the focus of DQ games. Final Fantasy may have its odd traditions, but FFVI would be the same game if Cid were named anything else. They're clearly just there for fluff, to give the player something familiar; they've proven that they can do away with any of them at any time. Dragon Quest, though, is a series about the effects of familiarity. (DQV is the best example of this, I think, as it gets the player feeling nostalgic for things that happened mere hours before.)

Were an RPG revolution to happen, I'd prefer it out there in the Final Fantasy realm, where it will likely have more of an impression on an American audience and be more influential. I like my Dragon Quest the way it is because it's best for exploring the realm of nostalgia.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
I like my Dragon Quest the way it is because it's best for exploring the realm of nostalgia.

See? To me, this is exactly the problem.

EDIT: I sounded like an ass here; I didn't mean to. My apologies if this came across this way.

Last edited by Lestrade on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Persona-sama wrote:

Castlevania 2? That game, when I was younger, always made me feel like I was really trudging through the badass wilderness, with barely a clue. I love its backgrounds.

The only thing I remember about Castlevania 2 is being absolutely terrified when the village, normally full of happy villagers, would turn to night and be attacked by an army of zombies.
NO PLACE TO HIDE.

I always wanted to play contemporary RPGs set in the modern day without all that fantasy bullshit. My main problem with JRPGs is that it's so tied with the historic fantasy world of D&D - it was just never appealing to me. Cyberpunk, steampunk, along with modern day settings - JRPGs could stand to use more of these scenarios. It's more relatable, I think.

And yeah, I totally agree with Lestrade on hiding the stats, making the overall world seem more coherent, more natural.
NATURAL, NOT REAL.

simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:

I always wanted to play contemporary RPGs set in the modern day without all that fantasy bullshit. My main problem with JRPGs is that it's so tied with the historic fantasy world of D&D - it was just never appealing to me. Cyberpunk, steampunk, along with modern day settings - JRPGs could stand to use more of these scenarios. It's more relatable, I think.

Have you played any of the MegaTen games?
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very much so.

I am inside the sun in Digital Devil Saga 2!

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
I always wanted to play contemporary RPGs set in the modern day without all that fantasy bullshit. My main problem with JRPGs is that it's so tied with the historic fantasy world of D&D - it was just never appealing to me. Cyberpunk, steampunk, along with modern day settings - JRPGs could stand to use more of these scenarios. It's more relatable, I think..

Agreed. Here's an analogy for you: if RPGs were books, they would be that tiny shelf of bad Dragonlance fiction in the corner. What I want are mystery stories, futuristic stories, modern-day dramas (Shenmue springs to mind) — you know, literature. Not just cheesy fantasy novels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: