The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deus ex: vampire hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: deus ex: vampire hunter Reply with quote

so on the basis of several recommendations i (virtually) picked up vampire: the masquerade: bloodlines : : : : : : (too many fucking colons).

the good: very close to being a super good game. missing polish. the voice acting is surprisingly good. really! like, not shitty at all, with one or two exceptions. has a deus ex feel to it in terms of having smallish environments with multiple paths based on your strengths and weaknesses. laughing my ass off at the goth clubs (collide! i remember them)...is there a joint in la that's based in a church? reminded me of the old limelight. some ethical decisions to make concerning how much of an evil fuck you would like to be, including some enslavement/sex abuse issues.

the con: close to being a super good game, so the lack of fulfilled promise is depressing. combat is sometimes annoying in third person, and the shooting is a bit borked due to the speed of enemies. sneaking around is more interesting than straight up guns blazing style, though it would seem you can do both. as with most rpgs, the moral choices you make are limited to several general paths - good, bad, indifferent.

the very bad: the engine is fucked (early source engine build, complete with hall of mirrors actions!) and its crashed twice on me already. being balls deep in the boobicon it is almost ridiculous. would it have killed them to make any female models with less than a d-cup?

have not tried any of the fan patches, i may in the future. so far everything works as it should, outside of the engine being stupid. i will post some pictures tonight. i believe i'm about halfway through.

but if you liked deus ex, and can deal with vampires, it's probably worth your time. it's far better than invisible war, to be sure.

*thread title stolen from here:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Planescape: Torment for the first time. It's been a while since I played a game where you must talk to absolutely everyone, but I quite like it so far.
Isfet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds interesting, but i guess what i really want to know is:

wait, Collide is in the game?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, just their music.

planescape is pretty much as good as games will ever get, really.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: deus ex: vampire hunter Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
have not tried any of the fan patches, i may in the future. so far everything works as it should, outside of the engine being stupid. i will post some pictures tonight. i believe i'm about halfway through.

In the version I bought, the game came with a show-stopping bug in one of the later areas. A single Python script was missing a single tab and since Python is really strict on whitespace in its code the script failed hard. The game, on the other hand, kept chugging away but: all the doors for the entire area were locked, all the NPC's dissapeared from the streets, and my guns wouldn't fire IIRC.

Unless you got a copy with that bug fixed or unless you're handy with the games error reporting and/or Python, you may need those fan patches soon.

Also, was it just me, or was playing a character with all melee skills much much easier than a character who used only firearms?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: deus ex: vampire hunter Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
would it have killed them to make any female models with less than a d-cup?

You can play as one! I don't remember which clan. It's one of the only models in the game without much of a chest. There's also one mission you can bypass if you're playing a female character by just having sex with the dude--no joke.

The humor's a bit too Postal sometimes--haha, Joe Lieberman's an asshole! violent videogamez rool--but it's otherwise a really good game. I don't like some of the Chinese vampire mafia shit at the end, but on top of it basically being a Deus Ex sequel you get a whole bunch of sweet vampire mythology that's way more coherent than anything you'll find anywhere else, without even having to play the tabletop game. It's an especially fun ride if you're that manner of nerd.

Firearms were useless until the last couple of bosses, where they were necessary.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this was a pretty sweet game.

Dhex, you've patched up with both the official patch and the latest fan-made patch, right? Because, like, you should.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i avoided the fan-made patch because a) i wanted to see if it was busted b) there was all sorts of forum drama about it that made me want to never play games again. so far i've only had one crash in about 10 hours or so of playing. and no broken quests, etc.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i finished this. too bad they never quite finished the game. the ending sequences kinda don't make any sense, particularly in making the final ventrue dude basically impossible if you're a melee character. but still, good time. worth 20 bucks.

ehh, i guess its always like this. have an interesting game in the west? 3/4ths finished.

ok so that's not totally true but it often seems like some developers' hobbies included leaving gaping holes in their final products and going out of business.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trokia were pretty notorious for that kind of thing. It's a shame, if the end was more polished and refined, this could have been a true classic.

Also, fewer bugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: