The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Person Sunday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally murdered that pop-singer girl as soon as I got the chance.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
pc version, though i didn't have to change nuttin'. my screen resolution did get fotzed occasionally, but i was using a widescreen hack.

i can't quite hate a game that quotes alexis de tocqueville. it's trying. but they feel like they gave up too early.

though the tradeoff of a relatively realistic political environment - not only does everyone have an idea for how things should be, every single solution has serious drawbacks, just like real life - is that all of the endings are kinda...bleh.

I suppose in the latter regard, it was better done than the first Deus Ex, though the endings where better in that one.

I seem to be assuming you haven't played that one. Have you? You might want to give it a look if you haven't. It feels to me better mapped and designed than its sequel, mainly because they didn't have the pressure of having to shoddily "adapt" it in the most ersatzian fashion possible for console porting. I also vastly preferred the general art direction in that one too.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have enjoyed the original many times. as far as i'm concerned, warren spector + fps + rpg = gold.

well, at least until DX:IW. it's not a bad game, but the first sections in seattle are terrible, the skill system is kinda boring, the universal ammo is annoying, and the pacing is a trainwreck. for 4.99 it wasn't bad, but it wasn't up to the standards of the first by any stretch.

it's no system shock 2, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wouldn't say I hate the game, but it's just so poorly designed that it doesn't really encourage me to push on. It's always a shame when that happens to a game which is trying to honestly be something.

System Shock 2 is quite impressive in regards to that. It really has the atmosphere going for it, and I just love how the plot becomes increasingly insane, yet almost conceivable and probable, in that sci-fi fashion, not to mention the underlying themes of individuality versus the group and such. That said, never liked the ending. Felt it fell short.

SHODAN, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best villains in video game history. Looking forward to Bio Shock.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully at some point companies collapse, NDAs expire and Spector can write a book about the development of Invisible War.

From the public appearances/interviews that he's made/given since IW was released and he walked away to do something else, it seems like there was quite the power-struggle going on.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhex, I remember you saying (somewhat) good things about Painkiller. Something about comparing it to DooM.

Only I can't find them and I need you (or someone else) to explain why I should possibly spend more than 10 minutes with this game. Because that's all I managed last night.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gets better, but it's definitely not super.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it gets better, but it's definitely not super.

Uhmgmbmfgmmmm...

I don't know if I'll be able to continue with it then, because the opening is just about the most uninspiring thing that I've played recently. There's no impact to shooting at all. This isn't a technological thing because DooM had it back in the day, there just doesn't seem to be any weight to either your character or the enemies.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have let you down.

i am sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need!

I am borrowing a friend's copy to see if I would like it. I haven't, so I won't be picking it up. No muss, no fuss.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lead to believe Painkiller is all about the multiplayer. Very Classic Quake-ish.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played Deus Ex: The Conspiracy for the first time in my life. I turned it off about five hours later and had a moment of clarity. I am anxious to see where it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I deleted the Painkiller shortcut from my desktop last night after coming to the realization that I'd probably never play it again. I like to think of it as someone taking all the wrong ideas from the iD games and Serious Sam. Not worth my time at all.

On a whim I bought some classic Half Life pack through STEAM on friday night, cause I've never played Opposing Force or Blue Shift. I started up the former, and you can feel the ways in which Gearbox just doesn't get it. (On hearsay, much like Metroid Prime 2 doesn't get the first. But then I haven't finished the first or started the sequel)

However! There's a moment of glorious pacing at the beginning where you go from no weapon, running from headcrab zombies, to wrench, doing the headcrab quickstep, to knife, with which you can stab really fast! And the thrill of it is such that when you pick up the pistol minutes later, you ignore it and its lowly limited ammo because no mere alien can possibly harm Stabby McStabbenstabber! I had to quit shortly thereafter but honestly, I think this will remain the high point of the game.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a couple rounds of Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2) at a LAN last night. It was an okay time. Everyone ended up just fist fighting, as usual.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Everyone ended up just fist fighting, as usual.
Real life or game?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game but...good question. I mean, really! I wish LANs usually ended in fist fights.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've only conversed with "hardcore" lan gamers over the internet, and never in real life. that particular vangard seems like a bunch that needs a good fist to the skull.

i mean, guys, i'm really glad you have a nice computer, but i'm pretty sure it didn't fuck my mom. really. she's got better taste than that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad my friends are pretty tame, by comparison. One is the hardware fetishist I'll never be, but most of our computers are pretty rough. There's a reason we're playing 5 year old games. The networking is basically just an excuse for social mingling anyway.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i've only conversed with "hardcore" lan gamers over the internet, and never in real life. that particular vangard seems like a bunch that needs a good fist to the skull.

i mean, guys, i'm really glad you have a nice computer, but i'm pretty sure it didn't fuck my mom. really. she's got better taste than that.

I couldn't agree more. Really. I mean the thought of a computer raping, or engaging in any sort of sexual activity with any member of my family, or myself for that matter is really disturbing. I've heard of such insults that involved animals as well.

That fist to the skull might just make them even more socially stunted, I would go with a good jumpkick to the stomach, because they deserve it.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

plus she's a luddite.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Black. Holy Hell, I'm having a really good time with this. Gleeful destruction. Check. Big fucking explosions. Check. Lots and lots of faithfully rendered real world weapons. Check.

The plot is paper thin, but then again this isn't exactly the kind of game you play the for the story. At least it's presented well and unobtrusively. The gameplay levels are actually narrations, recollections of what happened and when, between the two characters in the cutscenes, which are filmed with live actors instead of CG. It suffices overall, gives a little context to all your actions. That's about all I'm asking of it. It's kind of like Doom, but not as fast paced. Still a ton of fucking destruction. No gore either, which don't really notice through all the smoke and dust and rubble. It's a good game about shooting things and watching them explode.

There's also a bit of a collection element to it, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Top secret folders you can find. Evidence you can destroy. Lots of little things for the game to keep track of while you go about scoffing at the term "collateral damage". It's a real summer blockbuster of a game, kind of takes me back to a time when games were simpler in scope.

AI? Eh, haven't really noticed it which I suppose could be a good thing. It's not AI that you play with or have to fight with, so much as AI that you seek and destroy, and if it hides behind cover you blast away the cover. It's good at moving around while getting shot, which keeps you on your toes. The guys with RPGs that hide out in towers and fire at you from the windows of tall buidings can be a bit of pain though, but they explode real nice when you finally do manage to draw a bead on them.

I love the M16. It's so raw sounding.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend just bought it but completed it in a single sitting, so took it back to the shop disgusted and traded it in for something longer. Said it was fun while it lasted.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He couldn't have...played it again?

I've only had the time lately to play it for about 40 minutes at a time, so I'm only about halfway through it. It has a nice pace to it, and I think the compulsion to 100% every level is rising in me so I think I might be playing it for another week or two. I don't really mind shorter games anymore, but I think the price point could have been ten dollars lower for all the complaints I keep hearing about the length. I very rarely see a game through to the end these days though, unless it really grabs me. Which Black does. It grabs me by the balls.
Alc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a strange gamer. Likes chavy NFS Underground sort of games, but will also happily spend £40 on a Megadrive Landstalker game on ebay too. For a while he actually refused to play SMW2 Yoshi's Island because he wasn't 100 percenting every level. I guess fickle is the right term?

Quote:
I don't really mind shorter games anymore
Agreed, quality over quantity wins for me every time.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're making me want to play it. I love that on the back of the box more space is given to muzzle flare than scenery.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
So, Black. Holy Hell, I'm having a really good time with this. Gleeful destruction. Check. Big fucking explosions. Check. Lots and lots of faithfully rendered real world weapons. Check.

I heard the H&K G-36 Assault Rifle makes an appearence in the game, that would make me happy if it does. The weapons looks great, but do all of the weapons sound great?

Can you feel the G-36 cause pain and terror to anyoen that is unlucky enough to be standing in front of it? Does the M-16 make you want to rip your shirt off like Arnold and wear a bandana while playing the game?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will pick up black eventually.

(for invasion usa style bandana action, farcry is hard to top)
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

I heard the H&K G-36 Assault Rifle makes an appearence in the game, that would make me happy if it does. The weapons looks great, but do all of the weapons sound great?

Can you feel the G-36 cause pain and terror to anyoen that is unlucky enough to be standing in front of it? Does the M-16 make you want to rip your shirt off like Arnold and wear a bandana while playing the game?

Yes on all counts.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday night I took part in a Half-Life marathon. Half-Life and Half-Life 2. No Opposing Force or Blue Shift. Took us about 12 hours in total. I think I may have an even bigger appreciation for Half-Life 2 than I did in the past. Not that I didn't like it beforehand.

My neighbour liked to point out how the hunter-chopper sequence in the Water Hazard chapter was a homage to scrolling schmups, where you'd be hounded by a vessel before taking it out in a boss fight. I liked the idea muchly, especially considering how the helicopter in question likes to drop a seemingly endless supply of mines.

And now I have an itch for Thief.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
My neighbour liked to point out how the hunter-chopper sequence in the Water Hazard chapter was a homage to scrolling schmups, where you'd be hounded by a vessel before taking it out in a boss fight.

did anyone else play the halo 2D game?
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the demo once. Why, did the real game actually get better?

Also, I'm still playing BLACK. Been a solid week now, every single day I've played it. I'm halfway through the game, playing it on hard mode, and have been getting every secondary objective every single time. I'm kind of proud of that.

I can't wait to play it on black ops mode.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
did anyone else play the halo 2D game?

Do you mean this?

Have you played a schmup called Demonstar? My neighbour liked to bring it up a lot during that particular conversation, even though we both agreed it was fairly generic. Effectively so, however.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, did i say halo? i meant half-life, because it was actually relevant to my quote.

also demonstar sounds familiar.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohhh, Codename: Gordan, you mean. Half-Life 2D. Yeah, I played it. Still got it, in fact. I was kind of disappointed with it though because I followed it for like half a year expecting it to be really great and got my hopes all up. It's not a bad little game though.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Ooohhh, Codename: Gordan, you mean.

yes!

it's the closest i've ever come to actually playing half-life.

the one thing that irks me is towards the end someone says "who'd want to be one-dimensional? i just don't see the point" and i believe it's supposed to be funny BUT! points aren't one-dimensional, they're no-dimensional. lines are one-dimensional.

also i didn't like that mouse-aiming was absolute rather than relative (like that other game whose name i can't recall), forcing gordon to walk off each screen backwards.

other than that it was pretty nifty.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abuse?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Abuse?

doesn't abuse have absolute mouse aiming? i can't remember. the game i'm thinking of involves line people who kill each other with axes and shotguns. using the mouse to swing your arm and toss a knife is pretty satisfying.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right?

I'm kind of disoriented right now.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I played the demo once. Why, did the real game actually get better?

Also, I'm still playing BLACK. Been a solid week now, every single day I've played it. I'm halfway through the game, playing it on hard mode, and have been getting every secondary objective every single time. I'm kind of proud of that.

I can't wait to play it on black ops mode.

I'm picking up BLACK tommorrow. We can share experiences. Expect my version to involve a headband however.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the game i'm thinking of involves line people who kill each other with axes and shotguns. using the mouse to swing your arm and toss a knife is pretty satisfying.

Madness Interactive?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the one!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I'm still playing BLACK.
I got a chance to play (a tiny bit of) it last night, not because my friend suddenly regretted his PS2 return, but because a different friend decided to buy the Xbox version.

It's pretty, and a solid, polished FPS, but it just doesn't interest me. I haven't played more than an hour of a new FPS for years now. Tried Farcry, Doom 3, Halo, Quake 4, FEAR, and probably a bunch more, all with a view to making a purchase, but just wasn't interested. The last FPS game I completed was probably Metroid Prime, which doesn't count, so I guess Unreal 2. Perhaps its mediocrity was the final straw. Actually, does Timesplitters 2 on easy count? That was fun.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you play Timesplitters 2 on easy? All the levels are cut in half at that difficulty.
Alc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it on normal and only got about half way through before getting tired of endlessly repeating one level, may have been the stealthy Blade Runner-ish one. I tried the first level on hard, got pretty close to/managed to complete it, can't quite remember, certainly didn't get any further than the second. I didn't play it on my own for that long - multiplayer is where the hours went on that game.

I'm certainly no master at FPS games on a pad, maybe that's showing. I'd say I prefer a keyboard and mouse combo, but the evidence indicates otherwise these days, and besides it probably depends more on how the game's been designed
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finnaly got a hold of Black yesterday. I sat down and played through the first level. This is the first time I have played a Criterion game, I didn't expect this level of detail. I could taste the gunsmoke and feel the rubble around me. This is really exciting. I made it to the foruth level today, which takes place at a metal refinery. I shot a soldier on a balcony, he flipped over, and hung on to the railing.

Until I shot his arm with a mangum, in which he fell to his death through a sheet of glass.
This game should have a bandana included with it.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's great isn't it? One time I shot a guy on a balcony and he flipped over and hung onto the rail like usual, except I let him hang there a few seconds before shooting him and when I did he didn't fall. He just hung there like he had a death grip on the rail, it was great.

Playing through the levels on easy or normal after you've beaten it is great because all the weapons are silver and have infinite ammo. I think the same is true of hard mode as well. Don't know about black ops mode, but I think you get an M16 with a grenade launcher attached, which is just sweet.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up Serious Sam 2 the other day. It's not bad! Its blue skies approach draws me in more than Painkiller or an iD game ever will. It manages to be more self referential than the first two even, and sillier too.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wear the fact that they're basically tech demos right on their sleeves as well. I enjoy the co-op.

Fun fact: John Dick, the guy who does Sam's voice also worked on the indie game Egoboo for a while.
help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soooooooooooo hw do you beat the giant crab in king kong!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: