The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most games are minimally interactive,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Most games are minimally interactive, Reply with quote

Most (action) games are basically a set of twisty corridors that you go down, and shoot / fight / run from monsters in, and solve the occasional puzzle. But you don't really interact with the environment / characters in meaningful ways, you just get from a to b. The interest is in how you get from a to b. Rather than in how you interact with characters, or plots or the effects that you have on allies / enemies.

Almost everything you can do, often must be done because there is a specific path preset by the designers.

Games like Deus Ex put more emphasis on things other than getting from a to b.

Surely games are capable of being interactive in more interesting ways than just combat?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human interaction and all of the subtleties it carries with it are very difficult to replicate with a few buttons. It's tough enough with a keyboard. I mean, hell, try and guess what mood I'm in right now.

Also; killing people is more exciting/entertaining/cathartic than interacting with other people/the environment, most of the time. Unless you have a gravity gun, or something like that.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So could this be summed up as being that we are still in the rollercoaster stage of gaming? Sights and sounds and interaction to get the blood pumping.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games are getting there. Analog controls in Mario 64 start to pick up on nuances that we make that are more subconscious than conscious. Super Monkey Ball only heightens this effect.

But yeah, less variety in output is a direct effect of less variety in input. More buttons isn't necessarily the answer, though.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly what you're getting at is the monolithic and rather static content that most mainstream games are made up of. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, but its not the only approach. To my mind this seems more like an artifact of other cultural industries, like film, than anything else.

When you talk about Deus Ex, you're talking about the same thing but with more time and effort put into having multiple tracks from a to b, c, and d.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More games need biofeedback. And I'm not talking about that new agey-type adventure that got released a few years back.

horror games could be taken to an entirely new level just by measuring your heart rate. analog input is definitely where it's at.

Is having a dynamic, player-affected game world the same as having more interactivity? Are we talking about scenarios or pushing buttons? Subtleties of movement, emotion? Where am I? Neutral
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone go dig up a rom of rampage like right now.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Will Wright's games point out a possibility for games which don't come down to do the right thing (or retry the level), where interaction isn't just with a bullets or fists.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch, I think the problem you're having is with most games linearity, not their interactivity.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
is with most games linearity, not their interactivity.

Kuzdu, exactly, the "interactivity" in most games has no *lasting*impact on the story / experience. The so-called interactivity is so limited that it has little effect on the story, characters etc, other than saying how many enemies you have to kill to get to the end or how many secrets you find.

Your presence in the game has little (non-prescripted) impact. No consequences.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Everyone go dig up a rom of rampage like right now.

Done!

Okay, I admit I already had it.

So... yeah, minimally interactive. I think a little bit of what's being said here is relating to limitations of scope, or have I missed the point? I was going to make the case that something like Gran Turismo or a flight simulator is very interactive, but it's not like in GT4 you can stop your car and walk off into the crowd or something. I mean, that's sort of the point of a game, isn't it? Beyond which it stops being a game and becomes something like a complicated simulator.

I don't know, maybe that's a future direction for gaming-- something where you race your GT car, and when the race is done you go across the street into an arcade and play a game of Xevious, and then get in a street fight on your way home. That's still only so interactive though. It's not like I mentioned things like going through garbage cans to find elixers and jumping down into the sewers to kill goombas.

If anything like that is coming, it's a long way off for a lot of reasons. For starters, you have to have one company that can put all those things together well and have it still be remotely consistent. The problem with a lot of games that have you doing multiple genres (somebody help me out with examples) is that at least one of the genres is done miserably, so that even when another one is excellent, it's dragged down by the bad one.

Knowing the way that the games industry seems to work, it's likely that someone will try something like I've discussed above (apparently Shenmue is vaguely like that-- SHOCKING! I've never played it!), it will be of mediocre or bad quality, and we'll just continue to get more combat simulators (until they go out of style) and movie adaptations like <insert director's name here>'s <insert name of current popular movie here>: the game of the movie. Along, of course, with your less interactive stuff, naturally.

Wow, my LONGEST POST EVER at TGQ! Could it have anything to do with the fact that I'm here at work on Xmas Eve while all my friends are off?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videogames have always, and will always, lie to the player to get what they want. Facade is probably the closest thing to a piece of truly interactive storytelling that exists, and it has to trick the player into doing what it wants more than anything else I've ever seen.

I don't think most people moaning about "linearity" or "lack of interactivity" really know what they're asking for. If you want a satisfying story where you determine the outcome, sit in front of a word processor and write it. If you want a truly interactive experience where you can create anything that you can imagine, learn Ruby.

You don't, though, because those are work, and there's inherently no dialogue between a creator and you, because you're it. There needs to be pong as well as ping. There needs to be a coherent framework for you, as a player, to exist in. And if a game is going to say something about people, the people are going to have to oblige.

Now, if you want to talk about giving games meaning, or about providing interesting consequences, that's another thing altogether. Start looking at well-made adventure games and IF. Essentially this means, how do you trick the player into existing in this world that you create, adopting the values that you espouse, and doing what you want? I mean, suspension of disbelief is essentially hypnosis. (I just had an awesome argument with my wife about the precise definition of suspension of disbelief and various brain states that culminated in my suggesting that some researcher should sit down with furries in front of FurryMUCK and measure their brainwaves. My wife is awesome.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kuzdu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techniques for creating meaing in video games is a big and interesting subject, but I think what Ketch is saying is something we could all agree with at least in part. There don't seem to be a lot of games that strike a balance between very open-ended, non-linear gameplay (typified by Civilization and SimCity) and narrative driven, linear interactivity (such as Halo or MGS).

I think that problem is that the more options that you give a player, the harder it is to invest each of those options with narrative meaning, which is why, as ApM says, developers try and trick players more often than not into making the right decisions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: