The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk about the Hori family.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Let's talk about the Hori family. Reply with quote

(NOTE: This thread is not about controllers or arcade sticks.)

To begin:
DIG-DUG

Is TAIZO HORI
or

Father of
MR. DRILLER

who is actually SUSUMU HORI.
or

Now let's incite Dessgeega to talk about it more because it's always something that interests me. And has anyone played the DS Dig-Dug game? What is that game like? I imagine it as Dig-Dug with an overworld.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
friedchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new DS Dig Dug is a lot of fun. The 2nd screen is something like an overworld, but the idea is to sink a boss into the ocean by cracking the island with giant stakes-- that you drop by undermining them in the lower screen. I beat it very fast, but... that a little bit of the charm of the thing.

I'll leave the fine points of Hori discussion to Dessgeega. I bow to her superior wisdom on the matter.

But I had to chime in because I'm the biggest fan of the series currently living in Bethesda, Maryland.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taizo hori: a poem.

the ds game actually manages to combine the playing styles of both the original dig dug (the underground 2d pooka- and fygar-bursting) and dig dug 2 (the overhead-view island crumbling).

dig dug 2 (sometimes subtitled "trouble in paradise") is actually riotously fun, because of the free-form demolition you undertake. each stage is an island riddled with faults that you can drill (with your jackhammer) to create cracks in the ground. enemies can't cross these cracks, just like dirt in the original (though they can go to their "ghost form" to get by). if you seperate part of the island from the larger land mass by drilling cracks, it falls off into the ocean, and any enemies on it (or dig dug/taizo himself) are destroyed.

the ds game is pretty fun. i've played the "normal" stages through a few times now, though i havn't completed the hard stages, as they are ridiculously hard. the game's plot follows taizo's jealousy of his son susumu's success.

here's a lesser-known hori family fact. susumu's mother is actually kissy (later toby), star of baraduke (and baraduke 2), a upl-like shooter set in the depths of an alien planet.

taizo and kissy actually star together as player 1 and player 2 in dig dug arrangement, a fantastic multiplayer dig dug sequel that is included in the namco classics collection volume 2 arcade cabinet. if you havn't played it, mame it up (or find it on the ps2/gamecube namco museum), because there's some very fine digging and dugging to be had.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, since you said family, I thought this thread may be about Hori(zontal) shmups.

dessgeega wrote:
the game's plot follows taizo's jealousy of his son susumu's success.

Yea, that was hilarious stuff. Unfortunatly I fell into a rut with the game, in that I attempted to get everything from every level the first time around. This means that I drilled through every block of dirt before dropping the stakes and would make sure to pin the boss into a corner and drop the last stake that needed to be dropped as the killing blow. This involved a hell of a long time per level and it became tedious after a while. So my wife took the game over and is having a blast. I fall into these ruts from time to time (like in Aria of Sorrow I tried to get the soul of every new enemy I came across). It just takes a good break from the game and me realising what is making me not like it anymore. So I will get back to it soon.

Also Hori pops up in Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (which is the only one I own and not the best from what I have been told) so I can only assume that he appers in these quite frequently. Is there a list of the ones he appears in?

It would be good to mention that the Namco Anniversary Collection for the PSP totes a new version of Dig Dug with bosses that seemed extreamly fun (but not worth updating my firmware for).

And your mature looking image of Hori comes from NAMCO X CAPCOM and that game offers one of the greatest versions of a Dig Dug song ever! I first heard it when a friend brought over the game and ended up playing it all damn night (I fell asleep on a chair). It was glorious so I thought I would share it with everyone HERE.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also Hori pops up in Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (which is the only one I own and not the best from what I have been told) so I can only assume that he appers in these quite frequently. Is there a list of the ones he appears in?

taizo hori appears in mr. driller r, mr. driller a, drill land (in the drindy adventures and world tour attractions) and in drill spirits.

incidentally, mr. driller a for the gba is the best driller game.

also, that mp3 is fabulous. i pity all of you who didn't grow up with a nes copy of dig dug II.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taizo hori is the dig dug guy's name?

possible explanation: with the absence of imperial designs or a post-feudal power structure, japanese culture was forced to create a backstory for every possible object ever created, real and imagined, in order to keep social cohesion on a small island.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's some kind of adorable pun in japanese, I guess.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horitaizo means, basically, "i really like to dig!"

horisusumu is a similiar pun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hori Taizo has a soul patch?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Hori Taizo has a soul patch?

I always assumed it was a goatee on a very weak chin.

But really, I think the facial hair makes him appear more fatherly.

shapermc wrote:
And your mature looking image of Hori comes from NAMCO X CAPCOM and that game offers one of the greatest versions of a Dig Dug song ever! I first heard it when a friend brought over the game and ended up playing it all damn night (I fell asleep on a chair). It was glorious so I thought I would share it with everyone HERE.

Hey, thanks! The Dig Dug theme is one of my favorites from the golden age of arcade games. I've said it before, but the Technic Beat version of the Dig Dug theme is unspeakably incredible too. It's too bad an OST for that fine game has never appeared.
highlandcattle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dessgeegeegabeega,
Do tell me more about this digdug arrangement?? is it really that good I can't sem to find any info about it except for tthe review of that Namco Museum disc
but notting indepth
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine 2-player simultaneous dig dug.

next, towel up any mess you may have made.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
imagine 2-player simultaneous dig dug.

is it co-op or some sort of weird deathmatch?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, it's co-op, big boy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
oh, it's co-op, big boy.

And it's on the first Namco Museum disc for the NGC??
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on Namco Museum 50th anniversary on the PSP... and on one of the two Namco Museum collections for MAME -- I think it's volume 2. Not sure if it's on the US Namco Museum 50th for PS2/Xbox, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: