The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swimmy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Six

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmy! i hope you are not totally sick of dragon warrior 7, because i want to see some more videos!

do not lose faith! you must have... heart!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power of Planet compels me.

I'll do some more videos soon.

In the mean time, I've seen more movies. Namely, I went to Georgetown with my friend to see The Orphanage. Ebert's review is pretty much right on, except he forgets to mention that the movie has a terribly cheesy ending which undermines the whole tone of the film. One of the best things about Ebert as a reviewer is how observant he is of silly plotholes and mistakes, but sometimes he's too observant. He finds hints or clues that aren't there. So when he says,
Quote:
That makes the film into a superior ghost story, if indeed there are ghosts in it. I am not sure: They may instead be the experience or illusion of ghosts in the mind of the heroine, and since we see through her eyes, we see what she sees and are no more capable than she is of being certain.

He's totally fucking wrong. The movie would have been much better had the ending left that interpretation open, but it doesn't. We become unmistakably certain that there are ghosts in a moment so embarrassing and cheesy it's enough to knock the film down a whole star. It's a real shame. The movie reminded me of The Haunting in a lot of ways. (The original, not the terrible remake.) They're both movies about houses making threatening noises, sounds that run toward you and tear down doors. The Haunting is helped by its dated look. Its special effects are minor--a door that looks like it's about to burst open is about as good as it gets. The Orphanage channels that and shies away from any ridiculous CGI or the like. But The Haunting had an uneasy and distraught ending, and The Orphanage really should have taken the same route.

After that we went back to my friend's place and she pulled up Last Tango in Paris. Wow. This is a baffling movie. Maybe it's one of those things where you had to have been there--to be shocked by the frank and brutal sex. But, Lord.

Well. It's not so much the story or the dialogue or the cinematography. It's the music. In every scene, no matter what's happening, there are wailing, excited saxophones. It doesn't matter if the tone of the scene is awkward, violent, desperate, suspenseful. No matter what, wailing saxophones. And it concludes with an ending that comes out of nowhere. What bothers me: Ebert praises it for these things. "The music by Gato Barbieri is sometimes counterpoint, sometimes lament, but it is never simply used to tell us how to feel." No, it's used to counteract the tone of every shot. At the movie's climax, I said to my friend, "Look. It's going to burst in with some wailing saxophones and pan to a gun in her hand." Just so. And Ebert praises Brando's acting, especially the scene with the dead wife. I was laughing at how poorly he faked crying. I don't know. Again, maybe it's one of those "for-the-time" things. I'm not really familiar with the rest of Brando's work, so maybe his "holding back tears and hiding his face" technique for crying is relatively impressive.

Speaking of soundtracks and effective crying, I also saw The Fountain a few days ago. Maybe it was my low expectations going in--people here and elsewhere said they were underwhelmed at best--but I loved this movie. There are awkward moments, sure. Rachel Weisz doesn't do a terrific job. But Hugh Jackman does. If I had a complaint, it would be that there are too many scenes that look amazing--after a while they all kind of blur together.

Spoilertime:

The story is confusing, yes. I prefer the interpretation that the "future" scenario is the last chapter the husband writes in the book. At first I thought this wouldn't work because of all the misleading things: the tattoos on the space traveler especially, the way he keeps hearing a voice whisper, "Finish it." Also the conclusion of the Conquistador storyline could be seen as the last chapter. But all those clues also fit in with the interpretation that the husband's writing was a way to come to terms with his grief. If this is right, then the misleading elements are actually carefully constructed and deliberate. Which doesn't surprise me, coming from Aronofsky.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Spoilertime:

The story is confusing, yes. I prefer the interpretation that the "future" scenario is the last chapter the husband writes in the book. At first I thought this wouldn't work because of all the misleading things: the tattoos on the space traveler especially, the way he keeps hearing a voice whisper, "Finish it." Also the conclusion of the Conquistador storyline could be seen as the last chapter. But all those clues also fit in with the interpretation that the husband's writing was a way to come to terms with his grief. If this is right, then the misleading elements are actually carefully constructed and deliberate. Which doesn't surprise me, coming from Aronofsky.

More Spoilers:

I kind of thought he finished both stories as I assumed they were being told cooperatively in the book, much like the progression of the film. I'm talking about something like Hard Boiled Wonderland And The End of the World here, where the book interweaves the story alternating in chapters.

It is was just one it was the Conquistador one for sure.

And, I agree with you on the rest of the film too. Sure, it could have been better and saved the more stunning scenery for more dramatic purposes, but I mean, it was pretty excellent throughout so I can't complain.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie roundup!

Stranger Than Fiction is cute. Not convincing in all the aspects it should be. There's no way the author is writing a "masterpiece," not with the narrative she provides and the story she writes. But Emma Thompson plays a convincing writer, so that's excusable. Will Ferrell's capable of more than one emotion! Sort of! Dustin Hoffman is always amazing, except for Runaway Jury, which is just awful. As for Queen Latifah, I understand that she's just there to flesh out Emma Thompson's character, but if you're going to add a pointless character to your movie, it should at least be someone who can act. Anyway. I liked it! The ending could have toned down the cheese factor a bit. But the directing was surprisingly risky. And I'm really, really impressed by my liking Will Ferrell at all, because seriously, fuck that guy.

The Simpsons Movie has about as many good jokes as a solid episode of the show but is over three times the length. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I watched Sympathy for Lady Vengeance again. It's one of my favorite movies. I'm fascinated just watching it, experiencing it. My friend ruined it a bit this time around, asking questions about all the weirdness. The first time I saw it, I was content to just say, "Eh. It's Asian." And leave it at that. But, yeah, there are a lot of things that just don't make any goddamned sense. My friend came out of it depressed. Maybe it's just that the movie is so pretty, but it can't have that effect on me. Mr. Vengeance, on the other hand. . .

I got ahold of modern B-Movie classic Inbred Rednecks and watched it with the same friend. He now hates me. But he just can't appreciate bad movies. Inbred Rednecks is a gem of a gem. It follows the story of 4 North Carolinian rednecks: Billy Bob, Joe Bob, Bubba, and Clovis. Billy Bob has bred a giant cock, named "Bigass Rooster," to win big money at local cockfights. When the rooster is unveiled in its first fight, local tough-guy and cockfighting champion Monty's rooster cowers in fear before slitting its own throat. Monty takes his revenge by stealing Bigass Rooster and taking him to Knoxville for a bigtime cockfight.

Needless to say, this movie is utterly retarded. But I grew up in eastern Tennessee, so to me everything about it is uproarious. It's not subtle in the least. There's a running gag in which little kids throughout the movie are drinking beer, but the camera makes sure to focus on them every time. In fact, the camera makes sure to focus on everything even slightly important, and dwells on it for long periods of time. Conversations aren't quick-cut at all; it's obvious they only had one camera. The jokes range from good to terrible. But just watching these goofy rednecks and their horribly exaggerated acting is enough to crack me up through the whole movie. The best part is that their accents aren't exaggerated; everyone in this movie, even the people who are supposed to be from Connecticut, has a genuine southern accent. That alone makes stupid catchphrases like, "I'm a rebel I'm a rebel!" or, "Run! RUN LIKE THE WIND!" fun to quote.

Also there's a song about cockfighting in the middle of it called "My Cock's Bigger Than Yours."

Did I mention that my mom grew up in Cocke County and the school mascot was the Fighting Cocks?

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me: "Everyone's taste in music sucks."
Caroline: "Yeah, except for yours, right?"
Me: "Hmm. No, my taste sucks too."
Caroline: "So what's good music?"
Me: "What's good music? Weasel Walter's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. It's the only good song ever made."

(I'm pretty sure I'm making fun of other people when I say stuff like this. Jury's still out.)

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see a darkness is a good album.

also where do i get a copy of this redneck movie?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went with Amazon. $6. But a fair warning: it's one of the worst-edited movies since Ed Wood.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
2.0 out of 5 stars
This Movie Is Not Suitable For Audiences., May 24, 2004
By Robert I. Hedges - See all my reviews

man it's really over two hours? that's rough.

my wife saw "over the top" for the first time last night and was suitably blown away. i think that's 85 minutes, which is just about right for a movie. any movie, really.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you knew this, Swimmy, but people in Sweden are probably playing with your penis.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to play all of these games
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2008/01/rambo-inflation.html

I am SO FUCKING EXCITED.

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbad is ok. I can't really enjoy movies like this after Angus. Have I ever mentioned how much I love Angus? Why isn't it on DVD yet? Somebody get on this immediately.

I finally saw American Psycho in its entirety. It's one of those rare movies I feel is tailor-made for my tastes. I tend to like movies where everything looks fake. (See: L.A. Confidential.) Aside from that, yeah, it's just rigoddamndiculous and it turns into a mindfuck--two great tastes that taste great together.

Haven't seen Rambo yet. Maybe I can get my roommates to join me tomorrow.

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Rambo. Was about as pointless as you can possibly get, but man, sweet, sweet violence. I noticed something curious. Almost every limb that gets slashed or blown off, the blood forms a sideways S. It gets to looking a bit too computerized. But I don't mind, it was gory as all hell, and that's why I watch movies.

Watched Across the Universe with some friends, which is a fair excuse to rearrange some Beatles songs and a terrible excuse for a movie. It doesn't help that I don't particularly like the Beatles, but I find them listenable enough to have enjoyed this if it didn't suck so bad. Scenes upon scenes serve no purpose other than to chuck another song in, often abusing the lyrics, making metaphors literal. It's cheesy and embarrassing.

The trippy parts were kinda cool, though.

-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambo was disappointingly boring. I expected a lot more action, but the plot got in the way too much. The worst part is that when Rambo really decided to fucking kill everything in sight he hides behind a protective wall of metal and uses a gun that pretty much anyone could do that much damage with. At least he did slice that fucking dude in half and used a compound bow.

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, I have been using camstudio for some time, per your suggestion, but I recently received an ADS A/V Pyro Link unit, but the movies I'm capturing to Windows Movie Maker from it - PlayStation 1 games - are grainy. I'm not really experienced with this type of stuff, but do you, or anyone else, know either how to improve it or of another program that will result in higher quality? It only let me allocate 150 MB to the file, which I found odd.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm clueless. I only found about camstudio because of some comments on deceasedcrab's videos. I still can only barely use it.

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diary of the Dead is nothing short of embarrassing. Yeah, that's the word.

Where to begin? The plot, I suppose. Romero turns the time machine way back to the beginning of the zombie menace. The movie follows a handful of college students and their professor across-state, so the kids can see if their families are ok. The movie is supposed to be a documentary made by the students--they track everything on their two cameras, and all the footage comes only from these. So, hey, that's a neat idea. There's all kinds of neat film tricks you can do by having the characters talk to the camera, having the cameras burn out or get lost, etc. It's been done before but there's plenty to work with.

In execution, though, Romero's gone a long way down from his heyday. With each movie his political messages become more heavyhanded and more wrong. Not just my-opinion-is-different-from-his wrong. More like if-you-think-about-it-for-five-fucking-seconds-you'll-realize-he-hasn't wrong. The students are documenting because they want to put the footage on the internet, because they want to save lives, and because they want the truth to be known. Why wouldn't it anyway? We see that the mainstream media has subtly edited certain footage of other zombie attacks, to make it look as if the military is under more control than it is. Midway in, the narrator informs us that the mainstream media has crashed, that after they fell it was only bloggers and youtube telling the world the truth.

Question: What is the fucking point? Especially in the context of the movie. The gang drives across half a state. Entire towns are abandoned except for leftover millitary personnel. The highways are all completely empty. They upload a few videos to myspace and get 75,000 hits in 8 minutes. Really? That many people are just sitting at home searching youtube and myspace for videos of zombies? They make it clear it's a worldwide phenomenon, so you can't blame Japan. They repeat, over and over, that hundreds or even thousands of videos got uploaded to youtube, so our documentarians aren't quite the heroes they make themselves out to be--just another boring drop in the pond. Which makes it even more baffling when they prefer to get footage of their friends getting attacked rather than putting the camera down to help. And what's with the government-in-cahoots-with-the-media stuff? You hear it a lot, but does it make sense in this instance? Thousands of websites and videos of contradicting evidence are surfacing all over the internet and the media isn't covering any of it?

The whole movie is accompanied by narration--a really obnoxious deadpan from one of the students. She tells us at the beginning that, in the documentary she's finally assembled, she's inserted music because she's trying to scare you. She wants you to wake up to the truth. Uh. What truth? That the dead are coming back to life? So, in the movie, the government and the media effectively shut completely down and the whole world is in chaos, but we still need to worry about a government coverup? I'm sorry, but if all your friends and your family have died because they've been bitten by zombies, you probably already know the truth! You don't need to look it up on the internet! Whoever's alive after 3 days would be pretty damn knowledgeable of the truth already.

But no, it's not enough for the movie to have terrible and ineffective political commentary. It also has to have laughably bad dialogue. The students talk like an adult thinks college kids talk. The professor talks like an idiot thinks an academic talks. The students aren't so bad--their dramatic lines all fall into the realm of b-movie hilarity, of course, but the professor is the real offender. He's old, he's British, he drinks a lot, and he's insufferably pretentious. I can't even describe how bad his character is, so I'll just give you a dialogue sampling. Towards the end of the movie they find their way to a mansion and he discovers a bookcase. Imagine this in a Richard Dawkins-esque accent:

"Ahhh, treasures!"
(Picks up a book and fawns it, opening the cover)
"My God, a first edition Dickens! 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!'"
(Clutches the book like it's a long-lost lover.)

Yes, this really happens. Fuck this movie.

On the bright side, I had sex in a cemetery afterward.

-seryogin
ryan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Diary of the Dead is nothing short of embarrassing. Yeah, that's the word.

I'm watching it now and remembered this post about 5 minutes in. Man, yes, fuck this movie. This is horrible. How can it be so hard to make a zombie movie? A bad horror movie with a mix of blogging/contemporary electronic self importance is just ... why, Romero? You're making it real hard to like you these days.
Geoff the Medio

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Let's Play DW7 Reply with quote

I just registered so I could post to encourage you to continue the Let's Play of Dragon Warrior 7 and/or figure out whatever was preventing you from uploading more. I believe you noted in one of them that such posts had been effective in the past, and I rather enjoyed them so far and would like to see more.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the game taking 3000 years to complete might be part of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.

Hey, I got some unkind comments. Rock! He didn't seem to understand the concept of comments needing approval, so he posted several. I can attest to being a nerd and having no life, so I guess he's got me there. He's wrong about the girlfriend and Avatar sucking, though. It's a great show.

Thanks for the support, Geoff, I get distracted really easily. I'll try to update tonight! You should see if you like the rest of the forums while you're here.

Just got back from Florida. My best friend got married there. On the day, that seemed like a very weird thing to say. My best friend got married! Golly gosh!

-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Just got back from Florida. My best friend got married there. On the day, that seemed like a very weird thing to say. My best friend got married! Golly gosh!

I was the first person that I knew around my age group to get married. It's probably weird from his side too. Congrats to your friend.

Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I was too busy catching up on blogs post-vacation to update DWVII tonight, but tomorrow I will, for serious.

Is everyone reading The Comics Curmudgeon? The Comics Curmudgeon is one of the most consistently funny things on the internet.

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a thing, because I want to share this thing on the internet, with you fine folks.

Not quite a year ago, I dereligionized, but kept it largely a secret. As these things tend to go, the secret is now out, and my family--my fundamentalist, young earth creationist family--is completely devastated. They are sending me sad emails and such. It's all very, uh. . . sad.

Meanwhile, aside from that little jolt, my life is better than it has ever been; I am insanely happy and no longer suffer the years-long depression that was a mainstay of my life for, ahem, years. Which just contrasts it all the more.

It's a curious situation. I don't entirely know how to deal with it. I'm trying to be, you know, nice, and not turn it into a rebellious phase or anything like that. Certainly not trying to turn it into a Big Argument. But inevitably, it's a very big deal for my family, now that their beloved son/brother is headed straight for hell. I kind of see where those New Dick Atheists are coming from; they want a cultural climate such that something like this really wouldn't be a big deal. (Of course I think they're going about it the wrong way.) Is it a pipe dream? Input from non-Americans?

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a hell of a rough situation to be in, caught between family and one's self.

how did it come out, as it were?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a liar. When my dad asked how things were going at church here, I told him. He kept it secret for a while, until I had a similar conversation with my old pastor. He was much more "tell the world" about the affair, so there it is. I've become less timid about it too.

My dad's an elder in my old church, so now he's in the painful position of excommunicating his son.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally i'd say something like "goddamn" in response to horrendous situations but that seems inappropriate here.

i've never been in a situation like that (the disapproval was social and communal, not really familial) but so long as they're not going to disengage you from their lives...some mourning is probably normal on their part. hell, it may be a lifetime thing.

i'm sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Colbert Report.

There are probably other amusing words thrown in the intro sequence too, my girlfriend and I just happened to pause it right on that.

-seryogin
goodrob89

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: dragon warrior vii Reply with quote

hey can you please update dragon warrior vii soon i like your lets play
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: