The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A slime draws near!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: A slime draws near! Reply with quote

It will be a long time before I try out this FFXII demo. Why'd they even bother?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sell more games!!!!

Seriously though, I am excited to get this tonight.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully mine will arrive in short order. The UPS site says it has been in transit since like six this morning and it's afternoon time now. I ordered it yesterday morning, I even spent ten extra dollars on next day shipping. Yet the day is not completely over with yet.

So!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
Hopefully mine will arrive in short order. The UPS site says it has been in transit since like six this morning and it's afternoon time now. I ordered it yesterday morning, I even spent ten extra dollars on next day shipping. Yet the day is not completely over with yet.

Last time I used UPS I got my package at 10 min to 8pm at night and it was half crushed. The time before that it was crushed beyond recognition and UPS claimed no fault, or some shit. I avoid UPS like the plague now.

So!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Quest 8!

meh.

I'm probably going to get it. Maybe even today. But I won't like it!

-Wes
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have dealt with them (We're talking about the Oklahoma branch here.) in the past and have received no such treatment. All my packages have always arrived in a timely manner and in good condition.

So!

Wes: Then don't buy it! Dragon Quest is only for people who can appreciate it. Not philistines like you.

Oh-ho!

I'm totally joking on the philistine comment, just so you know.

edit-Shit yeah! It just came. More like, I just came, am I right? Heh. No? Oh well.

Damn, this is quite a package. I didn't know the actual game itself came in a cardboard case.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit! And I just started playing Resident Evil 4, too. I definitely want to get this and share the love.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't have so much work to do lately, I'd try DQ8. It sounds great!

Yeah, as for UPS, I've had similar problems with most of the big carrers-- including having irreplaceable original art torn to shreds. PROTIP: If a box gets destroyed in transit, you're essentially fucked, even if you have insurance, unless you can prove the value of the destroyed items. And even if you CAN prove the value, it will take months to complete the claim! Hooray!
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my share of UPS troubles, including a manager that threatened to cut off service to my home after they lost a package, unless I would withdraw my claim through Amazon. Bunch of crooks.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you ever have one of those Wednesdays where you open boxes with smaller boxes in them? And those smaller boxes have 3 even smaller boxes? And you open those to pull out four games? And actually, you have like 50 big boxes to open because EA hates you?

Dragon Quest VIII? More like "Final Quest VIII" am I rite?!?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there while my poor local EB clerk unpackaged the things. He only had three boxes, which each had three boxes, which each had four games. I felt sorry for him.

I had to buy a new PSTwo to play it. I also have a slime controller. I also have some slime keychains.

I've finished the portion that was covered in the demo. That was kind of boring, as I had already explored the hell out of that area. I stopped in the second town. My eyes hurt, as does my stomach. I hope this is a temporary thing and I adjust; usually only the choppiest of First Person Shooters give me motion sickness. Ugh.

It might be because I haven't played a 3D game in months...

-seryogin
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kinda been talking shit about this game because I am burnt out on RPGs and I assumed that everyone else was too, but I got it today and (after finishing the Final Fantasy XII demo) I couldn't put it down. Dragon Quest 8 is very, very good. It's reminding me of why I started playing RPGs in the first place. The thing just oozes charm.

I'm currently at the second town without even a clue as to what to do next. If this kind of thing keeps up for the rest of the game I may just have to take back the kinds words I gave it above. You hear me SquEnix? Throw me a bone!

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The thing just oozes charm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing earthbound over the past couple of weeks has sold me on the idea of dragon quest, i think. i get the feeling that it's the sort of game i'll click with.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd have to be a pretty jaded cynic not to get some form of enjoyment out of the games.

I know that after four and half hours with part 8 I'm starting to remember why I got into RPGs in the first place. The last time I played one to completion was years ago, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I've kinda been talking shit about this game because I am burnt out on RPGs and I assumed that everyone else was too, but I got it today and (after finishing the Final Fantasy XII demo) I couldn't put it down. Dragon Quest 8 is very, very good. It's reminding me of why I started playing RPGs in the first place. The thing just oozes charm.

I just died. HA! Well, for a while I thought you were like... sick or something.

Well, I did end up playing about 3 hours of Dragon Quest 8 last night. All I did in that time was see a very breif intro movie and the replayed what I played last week in the demo. I was a bit disappointed, mainly that the intro was just not added to the demo and then you were allowed to save at the end. It seemed a little more difficult this time and took a little longer, but other than that it was just... repetitive.

Although I think this should say something about the game. I am not really a fan of RPGs so replaying 3 hours and not being more than mildly irritated is, well, pretty damn good. Now I just need my slime controller.

... one other thing. It seems like the loading in the real game is quite a bit slower than the demo. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite a bit quicker for me, though I'm playing on a new PS2, so that may have something to do with it.

-seryogin
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Although I think this should say something about the game. I am not really a fan of RPGs so replaying 3 hours and not being more than mildly irritated is, well, pretty damn good.

I'm pretty glad I didn't make it through that demo. I really hate playing RPGs when I can't save. It takes the entire point out of playing them. The Final Fantasy XII demo doesn't really have that problem though, since the game is more about wandering around and looking at stuff than leveling up and getting stuff. Has anyone figured out how to do a summoning spell in the demo?

Shapermc wrote:
Now I just need my slime controller.

You could borrow mine. It actually kind of sucks. Please note that the only game I really played with it was Gradius Gaiden.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Well, I did end up playing about 3 hours of Dragon Quest 8 last night. All I did in that time was see a very breif intro movie and the replayed what I played last week in the demo. I was a bit disappointed, mainly that the intro was just not added to the demo and then you were allowed to save at the end.

After the Viewtiful Joe memory-card-wipe fiasco, I seem to recall a PS2 developer comment that Sony usually doesn't let demos do anything to the memory card ever, so he couldn't understand how the bug got through. That would explain why there's no saving from the demo, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
After the Viewtiful Joe memory-card-wipe fiasco

The what? Tell me more.

Well I guess that is what happens when you buy a Gamecube game for another system. Cheaters.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I'm currently at the second town without even a clue as to what to do next. If this kind of thing keeps up for the rest of the game I may just have to take back the kinds words I gave it above. You hear me SquEnix? Throw me a bone!

Any advice on this section? Right now the town's royalty is eating dinner and without consulting them I can't figure out how to get into the eastern tower. Do I need to wait until dark so that they'll be done eating or something?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:
After the Viewtiful Joe memory-card-wipe fiasco

The what? Tell me more.

Well I guess that is what happens when you buy a Gamecube game for another system. Cheaters.

It wasn't the game; it was the demo. There was an unexplained glitch that caused all of the memory cards in the PS2 to be wiped clean. Here's the story.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Any advice on this section? Right now the town's royalty is eating dinner and without consulting them I can't figure out how to get into the eastern tower. Do I need to wait until dark so that they'll be done eating or something?

-Wes

They throw you a huge bone in the attic. You have a mouse, don't you?

-seryogin
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're eating dinner after the part with the mouse in the attic. Wes, I'll save you the trouble of speaking to everyone in town twice like I did and just tell you to talk to the kids guarding the door on the second floor a couple times.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did this turn into a spoilers and hint thread? If it did cool, but lable as such.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there are any spoilers mentioned...

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

Last time I used UPS I got my package at 10 min to 8pm at night and it was half crushed. The time before that it was crushed beyond recognition and UPS claimed no fault, or some shit. I avoid UPS like the plague now.

With the cheapest UPS option available for no less than $8, an awful track record of mangled packages, and weird-as-hell delivery schedules, it's a wonder why anyone still chooses to go with them - especially since USPS Priority Mail starts at $3.85. Of course, USPS has a history of package-mangling as well...

Back on topic, what's the overall opinion on Dragon Quest VIII? Of course, I'd love to get it fot the FFXII demo, but I'd imagine that there has to be some merit to the series that's been consistently neck-and-neck with the Final Fantasy behemoth over in the land of the rising sun. Assuming it's a fun game, I could probably put aside my loathing for Akira Toriyama's artwork and the DragonBall associations it conjures up - I managed the feat with Chrono Trigger, at least.

So, to reiterate: FFXII demo notwithstanding, is Dragon Quest VIII a good purchase, especially if the extent of my experience with the series consisted of a few weeks of playing Dragon Warrior at age 10 and deciding it was the most cumbersome and difficult game I had ever played at the time?
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to buy DQ8 at full price immediately upon release (something I do with VERY few games), but the demo actually dissuaded me. I'll counter this by saying that two of my top five RPGs on any platform are Dragon Quest games and that I have nothing against a 2D series I like moving to 3D if it is done well.

I can't reconcile the perfect reviews and praise from people who appreciate good video games with my experience with the demo. I didn't get very far in the demo (I quit after reaching the second floor of the cave), and I hoped that I simply hadn't given the game a fair chance. But then I started hearing things like "Despite the weak story, it has a lot of charm." I wish I could find out what that charm is and whether I'll find it charming without spoiling the game.

These are some things that left me unimpressed:

- As in past games, you can search every bag and cabinet. But in this game, I had to wait for an animation when doing so. Also, it bugged be the way he "searches" barrels by picking them up and breaking them.

- This is probably becuase I played the demo halfway through Shadow of the Colossus, but I felt that the engine really didn't live up to the graphics. I mean, I couldn't even leave a path when the ground was perfectly level on both sides--it's been a while since I've seen that in a game. The old DQ games weren't even like that.

- The game was nice visually, but not THAT nice. The graphics aren't enough to make up for any shortcomings there may be, at any rate. And I sort of don't like how the main characters look--but at least they are better than this.

Okay, I just had to complain about this. I don't really need to be convinced--I'm going to end up buying it, and I'm sure it will have some very good sequences (just as Dragon Quest 7 did), but I'm probably going to wait for a price drop. I'm just disappointed that somehow the demo didn't hook me.

I do have one question about the game if anyone is willing to answer yes or no--does it include the type of stale humor that brought us the lecherous old man in DQ7? I really hope not.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually found the dragon quest VIII demo to be less compelling than III or V, too. that's probably my disdain for its not being a neat two-dimensional grid filled with charming little sprites, though. the "explore a town and dungeon" demo didn't thrill me but the "explore the countryside and fight things" one did.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
is Dragon Quest VIII a good purchase, especially if the extent of my experience with the series consisted of a few weeks of playing Dragon Warrior at age 10 and deciding it was the most cumbersome and difficult game I had ever played at the time?

Pretty much. The best thing you will hear about the game is not how it plays, but how it makes you feel. It knows just what it is trying to do and does it really well, if not to perfection . It is not filled with new things that will shock and amaze you, it is filled with somewhat familiar things that will whisk you into a really wonderful place.

Have you ever watched a movie that is the inspiration of a spoof or joke, or even homage and then said to yourself: "that's where it comes from!" ? That is what DQ 8 feels like the whole game.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds both nostalgic and depressing.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
It sounds both nostalgic and depressing.

I'd like you to meet Mr. Yuji Horii.

-seryogin
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I do have one question about the game if anyone is willing to answer yes or no--does it include the type of stale humor that brought us the lecherous old man in DQ7? I really hope not.

Actually, it relies much more on visual gags. Very cartoony.

I loved DQVII's sense of humor, though. "This well water is the perfect thing for quenching my Demon Lord thirst!"

-seryogin
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
wourme wrote:

Actually, it relies much more on visual gags. Very cartoony.

I loved DQVII's sense of humor, though. "This well water is the perfect thing for quenching my Demon Lord thirst!"

I guess my statement was too general--I also really liked some of the humor in DQ7. For example, after you finish one of the stories <spoiler> everyone is having a feast. If you talk to a certain woman, she says something like, "The poison should be taking effect just about now . . . [pause] . . . just kidding." </spoiler> I also really like the gimmick armors in DQ3 . . . that type of thing. It's just childish vulgarity and other sitcom-style humor that bugs me.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. All the people complaining about the story being lackluster are a little wrong.

The story is God fucking awful.

Spoilers! (Not very bad ones, I don't think.) At first, it was just a retread of Final Fantasy VII. Hey, there's some random badguy wandering all over the world. Let's follow him! He even retraces some of Sephiroth's moves. He went across the ocean! We have to go to some weird temple! But then! Then it turns into EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING RPG STORYLINE EVER. Some kind of big bad ancient evil thing will be unleashed after X number of items have been collected! Except this time, it's X number of people have been killed. I ALREADY KNOW they're going to die and the ancient evil is going to be unleashed and I'm going to have to fight it to save the world and blah blah blah. Stop fucking patronizing me already and kill the stupid motherfuckers off instead of pretending like I have a chance of saving them. Fuck.

There would have to be a very major plot twist to save this train wreck from the horrible cliché it's mired itself in. The only thing that could make it worse is if the church is secretly evil and is working to resurrect a demon lord or something. Come to think of it, there have been some hints of corruption...

Aside from all that, though, it's a great game.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

! ! L O L ! !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to vent somewhere.

-seryogin
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's pretty much just a foil.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought it, despite not having much time to play games, because I felt I'd be missing a significant cultural moment not to. I'm determined to take it easy and not rush through and pay lots of attention to what's going on, and who knows, maybe my opinion of RPGs will be turned around.

I'm still trying to track down a god damned slime controller though, just because.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I'm still trying to track down a god damned slime controller though, just because.

They had two of them at a Gamestop near me. $40 though. I paid the same to import it...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Come to think of it, there have been some hints of corruption...

Yea, I just ran across some of that hinting last night. And the story is, well, expected. In a cliched series of a cliched genera you have a cliched story. I am hoping that they turn it around a bit. I like the little side stuff the best anyways (like Red's relationship with Yangus and the weeping king).
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
Come to think of it, there have been some hints of corruption...

Yea, I just ran across some of that hinting last night. And the story is, well, expected. In a cliched series of a cliched genera you have a cliched story. I am hoping that they turn it around a bit. I like the little side stuff the best anyways (like Red's relationship with Yangus and the weeping king).

There are some individual storylines I like. I never once got frustrated at a DW7 story. They were all so contained and short that, even if they were contrived, they'd be over so quickly that it never bothered me. This game needs a lot more of that and a lot less of this:

(More venting. Please excuse me.) So I just beat this unholy monster to save some dude's life. Immediately afterward, some jerk comes in and accuses me of attempting to assassinate aformentioned dude. He tells his guards to seize me. But wait, what the fuck? Didn't I just kick the shit out of that monster that nobody else on the fucking planet could even hope to touch? Why would I let those guards touch me? Why don't my characters even vocally object, try to persuade the guards that there's been a misunderstanding? They just stand there and fucking take it! Okay, I can understand if they don't want to kill humans, but they're pretending like they don't know the stakes. A big fat ancient evil is going to be unleashed and the entire world is going to be plummeted into darkness if we don't keep anyone from touching that goddamned staff and we just sit there and silently let ourselves be taken prisoner by some weakling-assed humans. For no goddamned reason. World's gonna end. Repeat: world is going to end if we don't maybe object to the whole being imprisoned thing a little bit. Eh... too much trouble.

I'm in jail now. I'm looking at my inventory. I... have all my weapons.

Just. What the fuck?

-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes had a good point the other day when I was talking to him. The game put the story tertiary to combat and exploration so that you don't feel like you need to rush through the game to get to the end of the story and you can just enjoy the exploration and combat.

I don't know when I will get a chance to play this again, but it will be in bits and pieces until I finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: