The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RaBee Williams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: RaBee Williams Reply with quote

Frankly, I think that my name is not very professional.

I try to keep this introverted mindset on how I vocate myself because I want poeple who have yet to meet me to have their expectations at their peak. But once the reality sets in that I'm a mortal by their degree, and am capable of no such over-exerted, or above average feats, I have to start again at square one and build up their confidence in me, only to shatter it once again..

I also ramble.
Working with this publication could be one of the more insightful and progress steps that I could take in my life right now, so I have a bit of anxiety over not botching things up, be it what I write, or who reads it. As far as dismissing one of my unquestioned traits, I'm not very tech savvy. So publicating what I write, even on message boards, feels a little intimidating to me. It's not from the fear of what others may think, but the angst of what they are not saying, of what their holding back, keeping to themselves. That worries me more than anything. As in real life(and no, none of this is real to me), you should be upstanding on how you feel and who the Hell has to(and should) hear it. While introverted as I may be, I don't promote holding back what is most true in someones heart. Be as unbridle as you can be, no matter what the format.

But again, I ramble.

It's not often that I brood about what others may think of me. I'm quite peppy, to tell the truth. But a lot of what Shaper is upstanding for, I also have the same desire. Hopefully I'll break this husk on my emotions and communicate with staff more often.

Jeez, what a depressing post.

Smile
Hopefully, this will fix things.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hopefully today won't end on a sour note for me.
After I rode through the rain today to get to the campus (a ride that I'm not looking forward to making on the return home), I try and scour the comp. lab here for a little solace and peace. I turned on one of the two neglected computers in the back of the lab to try and kept prying eyes from peering at what I write. But naturally, someone invades my little hideaway and plops down next to me.

Oh, he just got up and left while I was typing this. Now I'm alone again.

Right, well, I'm trying to play more retro and veteran games lately. Last night after playing with Ico, I fired up the original Final Fantasy, for the NES, in an attempt to see where all of its appraisal had been garnered from. So far I can say that its looks like Pokemon, but that would be a fascist and idiotic statement to make so I'll retract it. While I was playing it , I unfairly looked for all the ties-in that it's other sequels(or illegitimate sons) played in homage to its father. I looked for all the geeky jokes that zealots of the series make references toward. I tried to look at what had spawned all of this title's notoriety and in just an hour of play, I couldn't find it. Perhaps I shouldn't look too hard. It has only been one hour of play as I had mentioned. But it’s just such a surreal experience. The original FF has such innocence about it, after looking at the wave of praise that its other games have been awarded (but not earned). FF was a spry, young, and daring attempt at giving its audience an opportunity to tune out the rest of the world and get yourself involved in its own designed universe. It wasn't trying the set some benchmark for luscious visuals, or use some winded plot to encourage the player to progress. You, the player himself, were recreating the stories advancement on your own; it wasn't the champion design of the title.
But I should cut this rant short. I'll give the game a much needed play through again to see if there was something that I missed. And if there is anyone out there that feels I've overexerted myself in trying to degrade the name of FF, please feel free to enlighten me (Also, please know that to this day, I haven't completed a single FF game, and I'm currently wallowing in the irony that the series’ staring and dated title could be the only version that I feel encouraged enough to finished)

Outside of that, I’ve picked up one of my fictional stories and I’m getting back to doing some creative writing. Drawing is becoming more frequent, too.
I’m pretty happy right now. Smile

Last edited by RaBeeWilliams on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm not leaving a nice steaming pile of "rant" about the forums, I'd like to think that this is a place when I can come and go while I put my festering and brooding thoughts in order.

But I still don't think that people have gotten a chance to know me all that well.
Hopefully I'll remember to come back to the staff pages and leave a few more complete blogs on my opinions. I'm not surrounded by the culture of gaming liked I'd like to be, but I'm still learning, methinks.

And on that note,

What is a blog?
(No, you don't really have to answer that)

Last edited by RaBeeWilliams on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so dis-attached right now. Today seems to be dragging on at an uncomfortable rate. Not that I'm addressing the day immaturely, or that I'm allowing these small hurdles get to me, but I'm less than impressed by the weaning days events and my less than stellar reaction to them, that’s all
I'll just result into a cry-baby syndrome of listing how unfair everything seems to get at times if I go into a further description of my angst. And I don't think you (or me) deserve to hear myself whine. But there does seem to be a feeling of overpower-ment and the adversary-like odds that stack against you at times. Yet it's only our psyche that we adhere to, tricking us into thinking that matters are some how out of our reach.
This is something that one of my influencing family members told me one day when I was feeling much in the rut that I'm feeling now. My uncle told me that, "Life is five percent what happens to you and ninety-five percent what you do about it." I think it's good advice, and I'd do better to practice it.

I'm going to try and train for a Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament that one of my friends is hosting at local gaming area. What might be hard about this is not the training it self, but convincing my dad that driving me to the club will be worth the trip.
I can sneak in about 45 min. of worthwhile practice, and still have room for some housework and/or homework.

And great misconception about SSBM is that it’s merely a party game, just a mash-fest of projectiles and noise. I'm certain that must people even believe that one-on-one competition is dull, especially without any items to join the foray. Super Smash Bros Melee is a non-competitive and childish attempt at a more serious and thoroughly brewed fighter which the game does not achieve in the sliver of possibilities. Right?

Well, my next post will be about how wrong you'd be. There's really too much that I'll have to cover to prove my point (and at how damn good my mentioned friend is at the game, who is someone that has won multiple regional tournaments of the game), and the post is long enough as is...
Okay, I'm just too lazy to go more into it, but next time I'll make my explanation of the game something worth wanting for. Promise...

Please don't go....
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well the tournament ended as of last week. Things are pretty productive in the forums, even though the staff still seems to view itself as spry fledglings in this new provoking world of 'game writing' [I am, for once, choosing my words very carefully, since I don't want to mislead anyone on the publication's intentions]. But anyway, same old same old.

I rented Star Fox Assault and it was fun. I was able to withhold most of my bubbling anthropomorphic fan-dom while playing it, but I noticed some of it was starting to seep through when I found myself 'testing' the in-game physics of how Fox's tail swishes when he runs.

But again, nothing too important happened this past week. But I'm feeling a bit out of touch with the forum's happenings because my availability to online connection is so sparse at times. And when I'm grated to time of day to visit this boards, I feel as though I have to make these dry-humored blogs to make up for my absence, as if people really enjoy reading this junk!
What was I thinking?

Nevertheless, spring break has started, and the last thing that I feel like doing is resting. This sort of surprises me. I want to continue my productivity level in the zine with providing more [and for the love of God, better] reading material. And as a result of this, I'm going to levy off on trying to promise so much reading material in this area. Doing this some much sort of takes the fun out of writing about my passions for the good of the publication. And I should have taken the hint when I didn't spy many of my cohorts plotting all of their gaming exploits in these threads. Maybe I thought that my being so forthright about the blogs would stimulate questions and such things that I could return to and answer here. I guess I was just starved for attention, or something. So if this is truly the direction that I was really going to make for this thread, then it deserves to be put down. Or at least postponed for a while. Like I said, I don't have much time to really flesh out what I'd like to voice. And it would service me better to leave any random blabbing that I spark up to the publication.

So, yeah. You might not hear from me for a few months.
But I guess it’s a good thing that I won’t be missed. Razz
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your rants. You should stop worrying about what others think and just do what feels natural to you.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I like your rants. You should stop worrying about what others think and just do what feels natural to you.

Well, thank you. Mr. Mech. Smile
I like the little darlings too. Really.

I'm just so use to underscoring myself. And I act so frank with myself in them as a means of motivation to stay active in the site.

But yeah, all that was really just a way of telling myself, 'Self, you've got to man-up and take more responsibility for how often you write.' And that resulted into me going on about how little I actually write on the forums.

I probably won't stop writing these things. I just wish I could do it more often.
But thanks, again. Smile
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'm really glad to see the forums bustling like they are. I don't know if Shaper intentional chose the target demographic of the publication to be high spirited and interesting gamers, but that's just the sort of crowd that we're attracting. Good writers, all of them.

Well, I was going to come here to do my normal ritual of brooding and self-loathing of my ego, but today I just don't feel like that. Recently, when I do feel a peg of self-doubt wash over me, I don't just sit around and congregate with myself about it. I act on it. I write some dripping little poem(littered with elongated words and uncontemporary rhyming scale, of course), I'll make a little doodles, and more importantly, I'll game for long periods of time until those festering thoughts about myself dismiss, or I forget with I was upset about entirely.

I think that if you use gaming as a therapeutic safety net for any of your stressful activities, then you are a gamer. You’re not someone that contemplates the workings of an electric machine to an obsessive level. You're not hiding away for the fear of human contact and using a fantastical device to latch onto, looking for much needed comfort in a false universe. You're relaxing. Chilling out. Geeking out. Nerding it up. What ever you feel comfortable enough to defining it. Simply put, you’re relishing in your sparse time for some me time. Un-endangered, exasperating, mutil-platformed ‘me time.’

A few of the games that I'm getting my ‘me time’ from:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 <our school’s arcade has two cabinets for this thing! But of course all the serious competitors, like myself, only get on the 'good one',...that is, the one the has all the buttons working...>

Ea Sports Fight Night '05 for the Gamecube< my pal, Brandon lent this gem to me. I'm going fail my classes if I'm too absent while I’m getting stuck playing this game.>

Dragonball Z Bodaki 3 <Teleporting has made this series a whole new (and better) game. And Friza in his Final Form is hawt.
There, I said it.>

More damn Super Smash Bros. Melee < as bad as I am with some of the better characters in the game, namely Peach and Falco, I always seem to perform my best with one of the games worst characters, Bowser. There's something wrong with that...>

So, yeah.
Hmph.
Guess I'll go play MvC2 now.
Later!
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partying with insommnia right now.
And I neeed to make a good and lazy post that will provoke me to type something more meaningful in the future.(Or at least come back to edit it.)

That should do it.
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, forced insomnia can be fun for a while, but like most things, its best use is in moderation. Writing, as it just so happens, can't play such a subtly role as sleep deprivation. A lot of the things that I've written haven’t really been advocating how I'm truly feeling. But I've caught this act soon enough before it alters my whole writing. It mostly has to do not only with me mood at the moment (which is actually something that I should be ignoring form the get go before I write, because mood has NOTHING to do with writing.), but my environment and how I'm reacting to it.

Okay, let's see how well I can pad this out. Right now, I'm having an emotional, and an environmental conflict as I write this. Currently, I'm stressing over what sort of job opportunities that I'm readily available for without the secured sanctity of a motor vehicle to get me to any jobs. I'm concerned over what my friends could be thinking of me since I haven’t returned any phone calls to them for 6+ months. Oh and there's a large cardboard box that is trying to delude me from mentioning how fucking annoying its being since its keeping my legs to stretch out under this desk.
Now, sit in amazement as I systemically remove these oppositions in a few simple acts.

There. Problem’s solved. Right now I'm more comfortable about all those previous stress vehicles. And I’m now happier because of it.

First, I got off of my rear and, through some physical intervention, actually moved the box that was obstructing me out of my way. That allowed my legs more room to rest and to kick myself for putting up with such uncomfort for so long a time.

Next, was a little bit for subconscious meditating, in which I politely asked my problems (not needing any immediate physical intervention) to politely bug off and to let me get on with what I'm doing right now, which is chatting to you lovely people. Now, what I actually had told myself probably won't interest you, but I can easily abridge how the foreclosure of my thoughts had gone. For the job-concern, I realized that landing that job will have to come first, and if I need to fall back on any help along the way, that those handles will have to been seen to once and only once they arise, since these no need to stay brooding on the worst.

And lastly, as far as keeping up with friends goes, I had to set aside how I sought for their approval of my remembering to call them for another day, or time, really. They are good people and I'm hoping we can benefit from any long-distance chatter so that we can come up with more exciting and revealing things to tell each other about what had went on in the time that pasted, since these no need to smother each other.

And so I sit here, currently in comfort, though I'm sure that is was more than over a masturbatory trek for any those who are reading, as none of you truly know just who may friends are (on a personally level), or what sort of opportunities will be waiting for me in my approaching future, or just how really fucking annoying that box was that was abrasing my leg. And to go into some actually in-depth coverage of how great these annoyances were with me would be a flat out bore for you, since the true importance of how these figures weighed me down is lost on you due to how arbitrary I'm being right now. Writing about these troubles did me a heck of a lot of good. It's through putting these petty feelings on mine on a serious and relatable format (and they suckering all of you poor folks into reading it) is the foundation of how art is made.

But now I'm getting too ambiguous. Before my train of thought leaves me once more, I'll leave behind the actual ultimatum for creating a new update.

I've got a Livejournal now.

Finally, someplace that I can leave behind overpowering brooding like this and not have to dread over what sort of audience I'm writing for. I can keep it all locked up in a blissful, generic documentive format for anyone curious enough to ogle over. Or at least, that's what I do for all my favorite furry artists that the site is littered with. I just ogle and sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that mood has everything to do with writing. That, and how much whiskey you've drunk so far that day. Wink

I manipulate my mood through music, comfy pyjamas, lemon tea and good pipe tobacco, and the results are amazing. At least I think so.

What do you do before starting an article?

Otherwise, Im glad to hear you sorted out that box problem. Smile
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I might have been overly cynical when I said that mood doesn't matter. What I was mostly referring to was the conscious of the person who is writing, and who may be telling themselves that the are not in the proper mind set to write just exactly how they want to write, like inspiration is the only factor that is control there words and the motivation to simply write and to sound coherent. I think that that's your only tool in the writing process, just to sound as coherent as you can.

Now as far as my own writing process goes, I really should practice what I preach. But more times than not I’ll behave and follow my own standards. I especially luck out as far as the articles go. They seem to shoo away most of my bad habits (though some of them still persist, such as not proof reading my own writing. Just see my above tangent for a clear example.), like when a deadline is fast approaching and I know I can offer more to the work.

First, I gather enough information on what I'm writing so that I'm comfortable enough to make too stances on what I'm writing about. In the Prince of Hearts article that I made along with Mr. Mechanical, I was comfortable enough so that I could have tally along side with Mech's perspective stance on Ico. I clearly knew what Mech was talking about when he made points against Prince of Persia and I knew what points I had to make with PoP to present my stance against his position. Though I'm glad the article didn’t turn into an ugly flame war or anything like that, and that could have been due to how well we both knew the other felt when a stance was made.

But anyway, back on topic. Most of what I write comes from notes and scribbles that I make when I‘m trying to make a point, or creating a thesis. I forget a lot of my notes so I almost always make a lot of them. If I don't remember what was said in a previous set of notes, than I simply don't worry about it and move on to a new set. Quantity doesn't speak for how great the quality is. I make the notes to exhale as much as I can about what I’m covering.

But mostly, I just make multiple notes about what I'm talking about. They are a great crutch for me when I hit a writer's block.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaBeeWilliams wrote:

But mostly, I just make multiple notes about what I'm talking about. They are a great crutch for me when I hit a writer's block.

Boy you should open your own blog.
I really like to read your stuff.
Do you have a blog .... mysapce or anything like that.
This should be a great reading.I like also this two interesting sites SPAM SPAM SPAM
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm a bit late on the uptake, thanks a lot for the interest in what I've written in the past. I'd like to note that my typing is getting better and I'm prone to less grammatical mistake now.

I don't know if you're still active to the forums since so many months ago, but if you like reading behind the scenes or just like visiting every so often, that's more than welcome, too, and thanks for coming back.

I've been tearing the Hell out of Left 4 Dead at the moment. First Person Shooters without a regenerating health gauge, Sonic staring in his own game again, and Interplay Studios may reopen with the promise of a New Earthworm Jim game? It's like I just woke up to 1997 again. Once I prune my last essay for school, I'll try and remember to stop by again.
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VGA awards show last night was a lot better than I had expected. Even though the layout of the stage made it look like an awards show after party. The deco was pretty minimalistic, but the crowd was made up of AAA game maker names, and they looked comfortable enough sitting in the posh white couches, while wearing their stark dark jackets and evening wear to look as though they were sharing the same living room as us. Way too many commercial breaks broke up the already weak award giving skits. But none were too painful that you'd have to look away, though the producers could have brought the prompters a little closer for poor super models that had to draw out lines with "Uhmm" 's and lean toward the audiences just to see. Those poor girls.

As for the game awards themselves, I personally just wanted to see Left 4 Dead take away everything, from Best RPG to "Best Use Digital Polygons in Interactive Media" (made that one up). Taking home the award for Best PC game and Multiplayer game was fair enough, though, including having a lot of AAA for that bracket, like GoW2 and Resistance 2.

This awards show is what I'd like to see more of for television. It was lightly peppered with some celeb fluff, but it was also easy for the presenters to coast through their lines and not try to find some hidden humor that went over their heads to the nerd core masses that may be watching.
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why so many games are clotted with present-day rouge bad-asses that answer nefarious villains with their own nefarious actions. The sleaze of slick, sexy advertising has worked it's way into gaming today, as impressionable minds become calhouned into buying their product while the parents sit none the wiser. And frankly, it was bound to happen.

Maybe I'm just getting old... scratch that. I am old. If I'm passing judgment on a multi-million dollar industry from the climate controlled comfort of my own home, opining about my elective pastime in it's wonder years as it becomes dominated by the youth, then it's time to start making Tang. It's delusion for one person to believe that any large industry makes their products catering to only them. In fact, that's what companies like Nintendo has done from the start with our own impressionable minds. In the hail of new systems deputing in the mid 90's SNES hayday, we were told that these new systems are just fads, and that we should have faith (read: consumer reliability) that Nintendo products are made solely for the fans. When I was 16 years old and my mother bought me a PlayStation for Christmas, I scowled.

Consumer reliability is one of the forefronts of any good business model. By ignoring the nitch, they can focus on the strengths in a given demographic and exploit them to reach the desired equity, which is as much as possible. Games are still being made for kids, it's just that publishers are choosing what it is that kid's are going to get in them. And as more and more titles are beginning to sound like ideas from 16 - 20 year old in focus groups, that's what this generation will be playing, for better or worse.

Personally, I have no profession backing as either a game developer, publisher, code monkey or parent. And I'm comfortable in saying that I'd likely do a crumby job at any of them. Although, showing my offspring where all 120 stars are in Super Mario 64 does sound a little cool. But, no, I can't profess that any of these job markets are simple and black and white. But with the surge of growth, creatively and industrially, the guise of games being made out of love and responsibility for the consumer is starting to dissipate. Just like when we have to watch what we eat in time, our gaming diet needs to reflect that as well.
Gaming right now, has no mediator. California, in the midst of creating one of the most powerful consumer power projects in the US, has been trying to pass a law making it a criminal offense to sell M-rated video games to minors. But what they may not already know is that most kids purchased those games with their parents on the same day. And if there's one thing that I hear at work, when I ask "Are you sure you want him/her [but mostly him] to get it?" after I've gone through the list of traits and content on the ESRB rating, it's "He was going to play it anyway." And with the sales that these titles are getting, that's 99.01% a total likelihood.

In the last article that I wrote for The Gamer's Quarter, "Hedgehog Hodgepodge" I closed out the article warning that 'anime and video's were in bed with one another'. While I'm not totally, confidently certain just what substance in was that was at work in my system at the time, nor can I identify that, perhaps rodded object that was enveloping a certain crevice, I can assure you, reader, that by this time, said substance has run it's painful course and had said object to be removed.
But was I was meaning to forewarn about was the danger that over commercialism can have on any elective. Companies know that the parents can't watch all the time, and the veil of innocence that gaming used to have is slow giving way to the hot button topic of the day, under the guise that it's 'mature'. Children need to finish their education on Israeli people, their explosive poverty and their constant protests along their streets challenging their government before they jump in a game were you shoot faceless brown people, is all I'm saying.
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I totally buy this. I was thinking about this the other day and it seems like most games these days are aimed at 17-30 year olds, with stuff like the Wii selling to anyone younger. That's why the Wii is winning this generation. It's literally the only system with decent games for people under 17.

-Wes
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my tone may be overly cur to the point I was trying to make, peppered with hyper paranoia, so you're welcome to not feel any alligence to it. I'm certain that the major demo for games fits along that same age range. But I feel obliged to point out that it may be a much younger audience that's actually buying them en mass.
I think my idea is a clear stab at Activison, and I'm using product models of zealous capitalism from the likes of McDonalds as a grounds for why I think, in the long run, their games are going to capture the younger market. Without income, they may use "pester power" and advertise their want for the game as the parents cave. The games themselves are harmless and fun. But I still frown on the inner workings of the machine. I'm moreso blaming the cogs then I am blaming the output.

This is just my own tinfoil hatted rant on the subject. I don't really want people to be upset or agree as much as I'd only ask that they listen over something so gentle as my opinion. I've been reading Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation", which heralds the coming of corporate giants that have a stranglehold of the nation's agriculture, and can rival the strength of the President when controlling lobbyist. I ate at McD's today, had a Mc Double with two sad, dried patties glued with cheese and one lonely pickle, stuccoed to the top of the bun with ketchup. I didn't tell myself that was the last one I'd have, so I'm just playing the happy hypocrite, really, on either subject.

I wish gaming had whistle blowers like Eric, I guess. But I might not be looking hard enough.
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, yeah, name dropping and angst aside, I've been playing a lot of TF2 lately. I notice that for online games, that's the biggest flavor of the month, while, according to Steam's server records of current users playing, other titles are waning. Bad Company 2 is one that I haven't played in a long time and Steam's records sort of reflected that, rounding to just about 2-3k users playing a day. Granted it's just the Steam version, and it makes sense that Valve products would compete with other titles for a high margin, but it also reflects user interest and popularity.

Another game that I bought for MP was Shattered Horizon, a title that competes with Crysis over graphical prowess. It's community is all but withered at this point, and that's in hindsight of a large, and free package update that added additional maps and more weapons, one of the biggest strikes against the title on its release. But yet it's active server numbers still dwindled, likely because the update rolled out en mass instead of easing players into the new loadouts, but that's just my take on it.

I don't know if this is the right thing to say, but TF2 feels like a console ported, online FPS that's done right. It's got all the nice trimmings, including achievements, carrot-on-a-stick grinding (hats) and polish that a balanced online experience should be, but gets most of it's strength from community feedback. And in return, gives back to it's players with tweaks, self-made maps and even self-made items of their players own design. Online is fun, with a nice level of spontaneity, and the new players joining in add a nice feeling of growth and vitality.

Been playing Comix Zone, and I'm wondering how I ever had the patience to beat it when I was younger. I still need to beat Mass Effect, and Metro 2033, and I've been wanting to play Mirror's Edge again, for some reason.

Last edited by RaBeeWilliams on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaBeeWilliams wrote:
... I've been wanting to play Mirror's Edge again, so some reason.

For a moment I thought you were referring to Circuit's Edge.

Mirror's Edge looks like fun.

Reminds me of Dark Angel.
The courier part, anyway. Also the acrobatics.
And the surveillance/dystopia.
(Ignore the second season.)

Ok, I gotta play this.
RaBeeWilliams
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I never really got past the first season, but Faith does have the same level of self importance without coming off as overtly feminist.

To be honest, it more-so uses the1984, big-brother backdrop as a catalyst for why you run. Not to spoil anything but the actual lethargy of the people of that city never rises up when it resolves, which sort of disappoints me. The woman that wrote the settings for the Overload games wrote this one as well, but couldn't really make any room for funny, pithy dialogue in an American metro.

The scenery is great, though. Rooms are littered with bold primary and secondary colors that hum along either white or black and Ikea architecture .

If there's a squeal, they should go someplace like Montreal ...or Nepal would be cool. I'll write it.
Beatnik
Beatnik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Sup everyone! Reply with quote

Currently, I'm casting on Twitch for anyone interested. I got a unique following from gamers in the FGC (fighting game "community") field and the variety caster genome, and I'm currently thinking of putting up Speedruns in the future.

twitch.tv/rychus

That's it. I thank you for visiting us. There was a great watershed in games and in writing that this place once occupied, and I'm happy to say that I haven't changed stances much on my acknowledgment that we had tapped a potential vein. And while we hadn't the time to wait for the yield it would be worth someday, the climate certainly has changed for better or worse. And that's a topic for another day. Thanks again <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: